• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-4A 2018

Started by Redlinebacker32, December 12, 2017, 09:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Redlinebacker32

With the addition of Elkins and Mena, and the loss of Booneville and Westfork, what will the 4-4A look like next year? Who will claim the division crown? What are your teams returning and what are they losing? Enjoy the offseason! I'm looking forward to a great football season next year!

Gray lizard

That is a good question.  I do not know much about Elkins.  The 4-4A lost the top and bottom team from last season.  Mena could step in for Booneville and Elkins could be right in the mix looking at their past season. 
I think these will be the teams in the running
Top Ozark, Mena
Middle Dardanelle, Pottsville, Waldron, and Elkins.
Bottom Dover, Subiaco

Redlinebacker32

I agree, except I think Mena will be in the middle looking up and Pottsville will be battling Ozark for the top spot. Both Pottsville and Ozark are returning a lot of talent and starters. They both are bringing up several potential difference makers from the Jr High level. Mena showed this year that without Dean they faltered down the stretch.

Rugman15

Redlinebacker32

With many of their starters returning, they ought to compete really well in 3A.

Rugman15

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on December 12, 2017, 12:05:25 pm
With many of their starters returning, they ought to compete really well in 3A.

Yeah they should do good.  Good news is there are no little 1-4A schools in the way now!  Those little guys sure packed a punch!

Redlinebacker32

Quote from: Rugman15 on December 12, 2017, 12:06:58 pm
Yeah they should do good.  Good news is there are no little 1-4A schools in the way now!  Those little guys sure packed a punch!
That is very true! I do feel that Pea Ridge will not be down, but not on the level they have been the past couple of years. Losing that talented Sr class is going to hurt.

Rugman15

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on December 12, 2017, 12:16:01 pm
That is very true! I do feel that Pea Ridge will not be down, but not on the level they have been the past couple of years. Losing that talented Sr class is going to hurt.

We will be down a bit next year but we will still be very competitive and if the offense gels as fast as I think we will be fine.

Redlinebacker32

That's good news for y'all! Hopefully my Waldron bulldogs keep trending upward.

beach bum

December 12, 2017, 01:05:48 pm #9 Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:07:31 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Rugman15 on December 12, 2017, 12:00:45 pm
Run Booneville  ;D!!!

You are literally dissing a team that won a conference title and went to the quarterfinals as the smallest public school in 4A this last two year cycle? I don't think you understand the huge benefit there is particularly in 3A and 4A when it comes to enrollment and how much it helps to be one of the biggest schools in those classifications to help with depth. What Booneville did this year is on the shortlist of 2 or 3 as most impressive considering their enrollment. Enrollment seems to me to matter more in 3A & 4A than for 2A and 5A from my observation.... They are going to run roughshod through 3A next year.

Rugman15

Quote from: beach bum on December 12, 2017, 01:05:48 pm
You are literally dissing a team that won a conference title and went to the quarterfinals as the smallest public school in 4A this last two year cycle? I don't think you understand the huge benefit there is particularly in 3A and 4A when it comes to enrollment and how much it helps to be one of the biggest schools in those classifications to help with depth. What Booneville did this year is on the shortlist of 2 or 3 as most impressive considering their enrollment. Enrollment seems to me to matter more in 3A & 4A than for 2A and 5A from my observation.... They are going to run roughshod through 3A next year.

Personally, I think Booneville did a great job this year.  More about the fans than anything is why I don't personally LIKE them. 

Redlinebacker32

Any word on Pottsville? Did Kemp finish the season healthy?

Gray lizard

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on December 12, 2017, 01:54:40 pm
Any word on Pottsville? Did Kemp finish the season healthy?
Sorry I don't know the name. What position?

Redlinebacker32

He has been their fullback the past 2 years. I know he is just a junior, but he has been hurt for several games the past couple of years.

x14113

Since folks are already bringing it up, I might as pipe in with what I expect.

Title Contenders: Dardanelle, Ozark--Expect these two to be in the title coversation for at least the next two years. The Lizards graduate their QB, top tackler, and kicker, but next year's juniors can't wait to leave their mark on the program. The Hillbillies graduate 13 seniors, including some key players on defense, but the offense returns experience at nearly every skill position.

On the Fence: Elkins, Mena, Pottsville--These three are put in here for three different reasons. The Elks will bring some experience and some recent success, but they'll need to adjust to more physical nature of their new conference. The Bearcats feel they have everything to prove after being stuffed into the 4A-7 cellar last season. And then there are the Apaches, who will need to find a new QB that can compliment their 3-year starting runners. While normal course would suggest a peak, I dare say Pottsville is at least a year away from serious contention.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Waldron--these two are in danger of getting pushed out of the conference playoff conversation entirely. The Bulldogs lose a pound of experience, but next year's underclasses have won 13 games in JH play the past two years. The Pirates, meanwhile, could look to trend back up with the returning starters they should have.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco--At least they don't have to worry about being mentioned in state's-worst debates anymore, but at the moment, I see little if anything to suggest the Trojans have a chance to return to contention. Experienced skill players can be seen as a bright spot, but if Steven Moore is serious about getting Subi back into prominence, he's looking at a multi-year fix, one that might involve some outside-the-box thinking to accomplish.

Redlinebacker32

How much is both Dardanelle and Pottsville losing on the o-line? I believe that is a key factor between their finishing positions next year.

Gray lizard

X from the look of things Pottsville will start a 10th grade running back next year. Redline you are right Kemp has seen so little playing time I forgot his name. It is hard to keep up with Pottsville's players.  They do not even keep a web site with roster and I don't have a program. Heck I have a hard time getting a basketball schedule.

Redlinebacker32

I know when Waldron upset the Apaches a couple of years ago, losing Kemp was the turning point in the game for them. Hopefully he has a healthy and productive senior season.

x14113

Ozark has begun the process of replacing its nine-season-old turf.

I'm a bit surprised there's been little debate locally on the matter, but after the circumstances surrounding its inaugural season, should I be?

Gray lizard

I thought that stuff was going to last longer.  Wonder how the per use cost worked out?  That is the companies selling point. Any idea what kind of cost it will be?

friscokid

Don't sleep on Dover. They finished 5-5 and only lose five seniors total. They won't touch Ozark or Dardanelle, but they'll at least be in the playoff hunt.

Gray lizard

Quote from: friscokid on December 21, 2017, 10:32:09 am
Don't sleep on Dover. They finished 5-5 and only lose five seniors total. They won't touch Ozark or Dardanelle, but they'll at least be in the playoff hunt.

What will their non-conference schedule look like.  Last season that accounts for 3 of the 5 wins. It was a very week non-conference.

x14113

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 21, 2017, 09:36:04 am
I thought that stuff was going to last longer.  Wonder how the per use cost worked out?  That is the companies selling point. Any idea what kind of cost it will be?

It has apparently reached its life expectancy, and is starting to show it. I think it looks good for its age, but I don't deal with it regularly.

Those who do have gotten their money's worth, though. On top of all their home games, the Cabin has served as a practice ground for grades 3-12 since the turf was first installed in 2009.

Replacement is expected to cost around a half-million, and all quotes received so far fall within the expected range. We should know more sometime next month.

Gray lizard

So around $63,000.00 a year.  What are the annual upkeep cost?
The thing I do like is the schools seem to allow other use of the field.  I know I had a couple pee wee games canceled due to wet field when I was coaching.

friscokid

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 21, 2017, 01:04:17 pm
What will their non-conference schedule look like.  Last season that accounts for 3 of the 5 wins. It was a very week non-conference.
They did beat Atkins, which reached the 3A quarterfinals. I don't keep up with Dover but they'll be better next year.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 21, 2017, 09:36:04 am
Field turf normally has a life of 8 to 10 years, possibly more if handled properly. If Ozark had 9 years on its turf, when it did its job.
Now if the Hillbillies decided to go with purple turf ... hmmmm.

Gray lizard

No purple turf please.  I can not watch a UCA game with out getting sick.

Danvillegrad77

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 22, 2017, 08:32:31 am
No purple turf please.  I can not watch a UCA game with out getting sick.
i have to agree, but then I did got to Ark Tech....once a scab, always a scab

x14113

Those Gummi Bears can keep their prison stripes.

Besides, heavy use of the (darker) color on turf is starting to age a bit.

I wonder if anyone would be up for gold turf, though...?

x14113

To give you an idea on what they're bringing in:

Elkins QB Quinn McClain has been named the NWADG's Newcomer of the Year for 2017.

The rest of us will be dealing with him the next two seasons.

Redlinebacker32

That's interesting. With Ulmer and the bearcats moving down, he has A legit shot to be the top QB in the 4-4A.

x14113

Friscokid has discovered next year's full schedule for Mena.

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/35500/boys-varsity-football/schedule

With the conference opener revealed, the first four games for Ozark are also known.

Gray lizard

That is a pretty good schedule for Mena. 

x14113

The next schedule to show up comes courtesy of the Elkins Elks.

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/35916/Senior-High-Football/schedule

friscokid

Elkins' schedule starts easy and ends tough. They could be 5-0 going into Dardanelle and Ozark.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: friscokid on January 21, 2018, 10:20:23 am
Elkins' schedule starts easy and ends tough. They could be 5-0 going into Dardanelle and Ozark.

Dardanelle and Ozark are week 9-10....

Redlinebacker32

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 21, 2018, 11:16:33 am
Dardanelle and Ozark are week 9-10....
Maybe he's talking about conference play.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on January 21, 2018, 07:03:10 pm
Maybe he's talking about conference play.

Hadn't thought about that ... Oops

Gray lizard

Quote from: friscokid on January 21, 2018, 10:20:23 am

I bet Waldron will have something to say about that.

Redlinebacker32

Waldron should have something to say about that. Fullback Jarrod Starr will be the stud next year and he's ready for that role.

x14113

Elkins' schedule is set up much like a video game.

--The OOC is rather easy. The Elks should be favored in each game.

--Waldron and Dover will determine if the Elks are playoff worthy. Oh, and both of these games are on the road.

--After that, there's a breather game when Subi comes to town.

--Should the Elks prevail, the next two should determine if the Elks are title contenders. Mena will be the longest trip in the conference, but Pottsville will be at home.

--Finally, the big dogs will wrap up the slate. Dardy will prove a major road test, but getting Ozark at home could be a boon.

The only difference is, unlike a VG, the schedule will proceed regardless of outcome.

x14113

Now that Chad Harrison is headed to Fayetteville, I wonder how Elkins' prospects will be affected the next two years.

hoops35

April 30, 2018, 09:40:47 am #43 Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:23:06 am by hoops35
With a tough schedule this year I hope Pottsville can place in the top half of the conference. They have some good guys coming back, but I've heard not everything is going to great there.The best player transferred, need a QB replacement and I've heard multiple other starters have either tried to quit or transfer. I really hope everything is going to workout for them!!

x14113

Quote from: hoops35 on April 30, 2018, 09:40:47 am
With a tough schedule this year I hope Pottsville can place in the top half of the conference. They have some good guys coming back, but I've heard not everything is going to great there.The best player transferred, need a QB replacement and I've heard multiple other starters have either tried to quit or transfer. I really hope everything is going to workout for them!!

I usually try to keep mum on mere heresay, but after looking through the Apaches' preseason roster...yikes...

Losing Kade England to Russellville is a definite step back on several levels.

Gray lizard

I think the schedule was set for Pottsville by the coach and what he expects from this team.  It is apparent he thinks it will be above average.  I hear things like this is the strongest team Pottsville has ever had. By strongest I mean in the weight room.  They will have decent skill players and QB play should be ok. The big question is how team moral ends up.  There has been some issues over playing time which resulted in the loss of a very good back.  You also have to understand when a guy leaves Pottsville to go to Russellville over playing time there must be some pretty good players competing for that time. Time will tell this could be a up year for the Apaches if everything falls into place. That is my hope because it could also fall flat.

Redlinebacker32

That's a big hit losing England. Very good, solid running back with good speed. Can't imagine him leaving because of lack of playing time.

hoops35

I'm with Red on this one. I watched them a couple of times last year and when England didn't have the ball the offense didn't move. I just don't see it being PT something else had to play a factor.

Gray lizard

Well I might should have said numbers of ball caries. He was told a lower number than he wanted to hear. He would have got playing time no doubt.  They will have 2 or 3 backs that will do well this year. 2 of them will be young and we all know what you end up with sometimes with 10th graders leading a team.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas