• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

River Valley Combined 3A/4A conference in 2016-2017

Started by beach bum, March 24, 2016, 03:05:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

March 24, 2016, 03:05:23 pm Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:16:32 pm by beach bum
This will be a very solid combined conference as it consists of some 4A schools and some very quality 3A schools.... The league will be Cedarville, Mansfield, Charleston, Paris along with 4A schools Booneville, Waldron, Subiaco, and Ozark.

THE FAVORITE: Charleston- I think they take this league even with three very solid 4A schools

RIGHT ON THE TOP'S HEELS- Ozark, Subiaco, Waldron- Waldron just came off a solid year in the 7-4A, Ozark and Subiaco always play good defense, have some great coaches in which you know the kids will play hard and be disciplined for

IN THE MIDDLE: Paris

TRYING NOT TO BE THE BOTTOM: Mansfield, Booneville, Cedarville- Mansfield and Booneville just don't have the talent to compete with the top of this league. Cedarville will be just fine when they make it to their district tournament and will almost certainly make regionals once they get back to playing 3A schools in postseason. This is just getting the short end of the stick in this league for the Red Tigers and the Pirates with the combined conferences. They will be happy to see Greenland, Haas Hall, and Elkins at the end of the year.

beach bum

The best part is seeing Charleston play a home and home with the likes of Subiaco, Ozark, Paris, Waldron, and Booneville all in the same season as a product of the combined conferences. I figure everyone in this league ends up with at least two losses in conference play just because it will be so hard to win all those games on the road. This will have a lot of competitive games in this conference.

Gray lizard

So who will be in the conference with The rest of the 4-4A  Dardanelle, Dover, and Pottsville.

WPWells

I'm excited for this conference. Hoping for a big season from the Tigers next year!

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 30, 2016, 09:09:50 am
So who will be in the conference with The rest of the 4-4A  Dardanelle, Dover, and Pottsville.

The 3A schools they will be podded with are Clinton, Atkins, Perryville, Two Rivers, and Lamar in the regular season..... then they will be put back with Waldron, West Fork, Booneville, Ozark, and Subiaco for the district touranment. Dardanelle and Pottsville in particular should rack up some win totals the next two years.

beach bum

Quote from: Fred Bird on March 30, 2016, 09:15:37 am
I'm excited for this conference. Hoping for a big season from the Tigers next year!

Agreed, like I was saying seeing Charleston play some really tough road contests at Waldron, Ozark, Subiaco, and the Paris rivalry all in the same year while sporting such a good team will be great to see.

Gray lizard

I do not think I like this arrangement.  I assume it is over travel distance.  How in the heck will they seed the district tournament?  Where can I find a list of the groupings?  I am hearing to many teams overlapping.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 30, 2016, 11:14:19 am
I do not think I like this arrangement.  I assume it is over travel distance.  How in the heck will they seed the district tournament?  Where can I find a list of the groupings?  I am hearing to many teams overlapping.

There are some conferences this will be fun and great where you have some strong 3A schools. However, the conferences where there are just average to bad 3A schools it will really not be good for the 4A schools to not face good competition. Also, what does it do a 3A school good to get beaten like a drum every game? The main flaw is the coaches will vote on seeding when they get put back together for district tournaments. And here is a link below to the combined 5A/6A, 3A/4A, and 1A/2A conferences. Like I said for some leagues it will work just fine but others it will create some ugly results.

members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Nonathletics/Combined_Classification_Districts_2016-2018.pdf

Gray lizard

That link does not work for me any way.  I could not find it on their site.

Gray lizard

Bearcatpride

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2016, 03:05:23 pm
This will be a very solid combined conference as it consists of some 4A schools and some very quality 3A schools.... The league will be Cedarville, Mansfield, Charleston, Paris along with 4A schools Booneville, Waldron, Subiaco, and Ozark.

THE FAVORITE: Charleston- I think they take this league even with three very solid 4A schools

RIGHT ON THE TOP'S HEELS- Ozark, Subiaco, Waldron- Waldron just came off a solid year in the 7-4A, Ozark and Subiaco always play good defense, have some great coaches in which you know the kids will play hard and be disciplined for

IN THE MIDDLE: Paris

TRYING NOT TO BE THE BOTTOM: Mansfield, Booneville, Cedarville- Mansfield and Booneville just don't have the talent to compete with the top of this league. Cedarville will be just fine when they make it to their district tournament and will almost certainly make regionals once they get back to playing 3A schools in postseason. This is just getting the short end of the stick in this league for the Red Tigers and the Pirates with the combined conferences. They will be happy to see Greenland, Haas Hall, and Elkins at the end of the year.

Booneville may not have the talent to compete but you need to look at the class of 9th graders moving up to the senior high team and take that into consideration.  Booneville has a 6'7" kid that can play inside and out, a 6'3" G/F transferring in and quite a bit of speed coming up from the 9th grade.  Keep in mind the Jr. High team from this season was a 20 win team and shocked quite a few people with their play.

BigMan15

I think Booneville will be good but they wont be in the position to compete at the top of the conference. Maybe over the next few years they will but not next year.

Bearcatpride

But I also don't think booneville will be the bottom team either. Could be wrong but that's my thought

BigMan15

Quote from: Bearcatpride on May 14, 2016, 03:43:42 pm

Booneville may not have the talent to compete but you need to look at the class of 9th graders moving up to the senior high team and take that into consideration.  Booneville has a 6'7" kid that can play inside and out, a 6'3" G/F transferring in and quite a bit of speed coming up from the 9th grade.  Keep in mind the Jr. High team from this season was a 20 win team and shocked quite a few people with their play.
My Prediction
1. Charleston
2. Ozark
3. Waldron
4. Paris
5. Subi
6. Booneville
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

beach bum

Quote from: BigMan15 on May 17, 2016, 11:56:51 am
My Prediction
1. Charleston
2. Ozark
3. Waldron
4. Paris
5. Subi

6. Booneville
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

That would be a huge thing right there for the Paris folk to finish with a better conference record than Subi....

nuttinbuthogs

These combination conferences is a bad idea in my way of thinking.  Schools are classified for a reason and should play their schedules in that classification.  Its not fair across the board because you cannot regulate the strength of the higher classification teams.  Travel, if that is the reason is just one of the evil necessities of athletics.  If you want to make it as even as you can, keep kids playing at their conference classification level during their conference play.

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 17, 2016, 07:37:12 pm
These combination conferences is a bad idea in my way of thinking.  Schools are classified for a reason and should play their schedules in that classification.  Its not fair across the board because you cannot regulate the strength of the higher classification teams.  Travel, if that is the reason is just one of the evil necessities of athletics.  If you want to make it as even as you can, keep kids playing at their conference classification level during their conference play.

I agree, either go to five classifications for non football sports or keep it the way it was. Not this middle ground limbo stuff.....

BigMan15

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 17, 2016, 07:37:12 pm
My thought on this is that 3A will be better prepared come regionals and state but for 4A its not good at all or for the 3A teams that are at the bottom will have a rough year!!!

1-Adam-12

May 19, 2016, 04:06:08 pm #18 Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:17:55 pm by 1-Adam-12
I will throw this in on Booneville as well.  They played Waldron two incredible games last season that with a few breaks might have gone the Cats' way.

I am excited about our junior high kids moving up as sophomores to blend in with these seniors to be, several of which have two years of starting experience.  I think if these sophomores adjust to the speed of the senior high game quickly, Booneville is going to be just fine and may surprise a team or two in that top tier.

This has the potential to be the deepest Booneville boys' basketball team in many, many years.

BigMan15

I will tell you when this team from Jr high is Srs they will be pretty salty. Charleston won 2 this year against them but every game being very close and could have gone either way. And if I remember right Charlestons jr high went like 25-2 I think. Losing to Pottsville early in the year and losing a close one to Van Buren.

BigMan15

I watched Ozark yesterday in a team camp and I was very impressed!!!

pridgehog

Quote from: BigMan15 on June 02, 2016, 11:39:17 am
I watched Ozark yesterday in a team camp and I was very impressed!!!
Boys or Girls?  If Boys, I was thinking they lost quite a bit from last year...

BigMan15

Boys they did lose some but they look to be more scrappy this year.

Basketball_101

Quote from: BigMan15 on May 17, 2016, 11:56:51 am
My Prediction
1. Charleston
2. Ozark
3. Waldron
4. Paris
5. Subi
6. Booneville
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

Waldron will be way down this year.

BigMan15

beach bum

The three games that will play the deciding factor in the title race are when Charleston goes on the road against Subiaco, Paris, and Ozark. If they get 2 out of 3 of those they take this conference. It will be tough but they can do it. Ozark and Subi are especially tough to play at plus Paris being the neighbor to the east.

BigMan15

Quote from: beach bum on June 13, 2016, 07:37:27 pm
The three games that will play the deciding factor in the title race are when Charleston goes on the road against Subiaco, Paris, and Ozark. If they get 2 out of 3 of those they take this conference. It will be tough but they can do it. Ozark and Subi are especially tough to play at plus Paris being the neighbor to the east.
Paris lost a ton so honestly they wont be a factor at the top. Subi lost a ton either but they are always disclipined and well coached. Ozark will be tough they are gritty and tough they will be hard to beat at Ozark.

1-Adam-12

July 28, 2016, 06:26:15 pm #27 Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:36:59 pm by 1-Adam-12
I think Booneville's boys may be more aligned toward the middle than toward the bottom.  Just my opinion. It all depends on how fast the incoming sophomores mix with the experienced seniors and how fast they adjust to the speed in the senior high game.  One thing for sure:  We will have more height than we have had in a long time with the 6-7 and 6-3 kids moving up, plus another that goes 6-2 or so.

Three of the sophomores are playing club ball this summer which should help.  I can't remember when any Booneville boys last played club ball, if any have.  Perhaps a scattered one here or there, but not three at a time like this year.

As for our girls, they are honestly a year or two away.  This year they will be rather inexperienced and depth may again be an issue.  We do have the 6-3 girl in the middle, and she will be counted on for a lot.  They will battle hard though, and the score will take care of itself.

Help is on the way, but the best prospects are only going to be 8th and 9th graders this year.  Once they move into senior high the girls will become more competitive.

1-Adam-12

Got another look at Booneville today...

Boys have 24 players out, by far the most ever for basketball.  And it's not just kids who just want to be on the team.  Many if not most will contribute this season.  Lots of height and some good guards.  They may well surprise a lot of people.

Girls, by contrast, only 6.  That counts a move-in who is going to help a lot.  We had a starter go down with an ACL in a team camp.  May be back by late January.  They'll also pick up a couple of the volleyball players when their season is over.  So they might have 9 by the district tournament.

Bigtimebasketballfan

Most out of 24 will contribute? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think. I'm thinking that means like 20 will contribute when in reality 7-8

1-Adam-12

I'm thinking like 10-12 realistically.  There is a group of experienced seniors who have played together for two years, and an excellent group of sophomores who won 20 last season.  There might be 2-3 more who could contribute in spots.

I think it will come down to how the two groups mesh together.  If it happens early, some folks will be surprised.

Gray lizard

So any care do explain how the 4-4A district tournament bracket will be set?  4 teams meet in one group.  3 teams meet in another group.  I have no idea Where West Fork fits into the picture at all.  This is going to be a cluster mess.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 04, 2016, 09:07:27 am
So any care do explain how the 4-4A district tournament bracket will be set?  4 teams meet in one group.  3 teams meet in another group.  I have no idea Where West Fork fits into the picture at all.  This is going to be a cluster mess.

West Fork from my understanding is the one 4-4A team playing up with the NW Arkansas teams with nine other 1-3A schools and 1-4A schools. West Fork will join the other seven 4-4A schools for a district tournament. The coaches will vote for the seeding. It is a really bad system IMO. Too many coaches are going to pick favorites. West Fork will not play any 4-4A schools at all until the district tournament unless they went out of their way to schedule a "non conference" game against a fellow conference team. It makes no sense....

1-Adam-12

Booneville opened their season with a 23 point win.  Yes, it was against a 2A school, and there are things to work on, but a good start.  3 players in dubs.

Gray lizard

Quote from: beach bum on November 04, 2016, 01:46:42 pm
West Fork from my understanding is the one 4-4A team playing up with the NW Arkansas teams with nine other 1-3A schools and 1-4A schools. West Fork will join the other seven 4-4A schools for a district tournament. The coaches will vote for the seeding. It is a really bad system IMO. Too many coaches are going to pick favorites. West Fork will not play any 4-4A schools at all until the district tournament unless they went out of their way to schedule a "non conference" game against a fellow conference team. It makes no sense....
Coaches voting well that should be fair.  Oh and voting on teams they have not coached against.  So how the heck will the coaches know who to vote for?  How many years are we stuck with this?

1-Adam-12

I have heard (unconfirmed) that this will end up being a "two years and out" thing.

1-Adam-12

Booneville is off to a 4-0 start.   Tonight they led Mansfield 45-10 at halftime and ended up winning by 27.  No starter touched the floor the second half.

The competition begins to get tougher next week.  We host our tournament and start with Two Rivers next Tuesday.  A win and the Cats would likely play a good Cossatot River team.

1-Adam-12

December 07, 2016, 10:06:14 pm #37 Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:14:17 pm by 1-Adam-12
After beating TR the boys had a big lead against Cossatot and couldn't hang on.  Then a loss to Lavaca; while they are a pretty good 2A team we should have played better.

We have one more non-conference game and then our combined conference opener is against none other than Charleston, at Charleston.  That will be a big challenge to say the very least.

The girls are doing better than I expected.  I don't honestly think they will be a factor in the combined, but they have already beaten Mansfield twice in tournament play, and from what I've seen of other teams the LadyCats might rack up a few more wins.  Not bad for a team with just 8 players (maybe 9 by the end of the season). The help starts coming next year.

BigMan15

It will help Booneville that Charleston still doesnt have its football players yet though.

1-Adam-12

The Cats get the win at Charleston coming from 14 back to win by 5.  By far the best they have played all season.  Yes Charleston didn't have their FB players, but still a big win for the Cats, who had been struggling. 

Three changes to the starting lineup seemed to make a lot of difference.  Tonight four sophomores started plus Yarborough.  Those who were affected by the changes made big contributions.

MICHAELSPAPPY

December 12, 2016, 02:12:30 pm #40 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:14:51 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
Booneville played well. I was impressed. They made their shots in close, and their smaller guys hit the boards hard. And they did not give up when they got down.

1-Adam-12

December 12, 2016, 09:20:55 pm #41 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:25:29 pm by 1-Adam-12
Booneville beat Subi tonight 48-40.  Two guys had double-doubles.  Outrebounded the Trojans nearly 2 to 1.

Be honest.  Who had the Cats off to a 2-0 start in the combined conference, considering Charleston and Subi were the first two out of the box?

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 12, 2016, 09:20:55 pm
Booneville beat Subi tonight 48-40.  Two guys had double-doubles.  Outrebounded the Trojans nearly 2 to 1.

Be honest.  Who had the Cats off to a 2-0 start in the combined conference, considering Charleston and Subi were the first two out of the box?

This is going to be a fun league to follow with those top 4 teams of the league....

RTF

1. Chuck
2. Paris
3. Booneville
4. Waldron
5. Subiaco
6. Ozark
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

beach bum

Quote from: RTF on December 16, 2016, 03:06:10 pm
1. Chuck
2. Paris
3. Booneville
4. Waldron
5. Subiaco
6. Ozark
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

Those top 6 make for quite the stout 3A/4A combined league.... quality all the way through the top 6 right there.

BigMan15

Quote from: RTF on December 16, 2016, 03:06:10 pm
1. Chuck
2. Paris
3. Booneville
4. Waldron
5. Subiaco
6. Ozark
7. Mansfield
8. Cedarville

1. Chuck
2. Paris
3. Ozark
4. Booneville
5. Subi
6. Waldron
7. Cedarville
8. Mansfield

1-Adam-12

Assuming no slip-ups by the Bearcats, Booneville @ Ozark on Jan. 13 is now a significant game.

1-Adam-12

Booneville rolls against Cedarville tonight, winning 61-33.

1-Adam-12

Tonight's scores (boys)

Booneville 60 Waldron 33
Charleston 79 Mansfield 32
Paris 63 Cedarville 61

1-Adam-12

Booneville beats Mansfield 54-29 tonight in a makeup game.

Also, Subi beat Ozark last night by 9.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas