• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cross County Head Coach position is posted

Started by goldoline, November 29, 2016, 01:08:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goldoline

Cross County has posted an ad for the Head Football Coach position.  I assumed the interim coach would promote as seasons end, considering the successful year.  Anyone know the school's plans?

bdubyab60

I would expect if he wants the job he would apply for it just like anyone else. But would also expect him to be the front runner if he does. Im not sure but I believe there are some laws in place to where you cant just say heres the job, someone else would know better on that stuff than me for sure though.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 29, 2016, 02:39:34 pm
I would expect if he wants the job he would apply for it just like anyone else. But would also expect him to be the front runner if he does. Im not sure but I believe there are some laws in place to where you cant just say heres the job, someone else would know better on that stuff than me for sure though.

If a school promotes someone from within they are not required to post a position as being open.

sickwillie

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 29, 2016, 03:12:10 pm
If a school promotes someone from within they are not required to post a position as being open.

You gonna apply?

bdubyab60

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 29, 2016, 03:12:10 pm
Learn something new every day. But it does seem they have posted it so I'm assuming as well that he either doesn't want it, they don't want him to have it or they actually want to see who applies for it.

playmaker04

Talked to Greenwell today and he absolutely wants the job and he has let them know.

playmaker04

goldoline

Sportsjunky

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 29, 2016, 02:39:34 pm

I'm not sure that is true.  Camden Harmony Grove's Superintendent hired his son (who had just graduated from college and didn't even have his teacher's Licence) for the Head Basketball job on the same night the board voted to hire the former basketball coach to a different position.  The job was never advertised or even open for that matter.   So either CHG broke some rules or the Superintendent can just about do as he pleases with the hiring process.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: sickwillie on November 29, 2016, 03:27:36 pm
You gonna apply?

lol anyone in their right mind wouldn't offer this guy any position

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Sportsjunky on November 29, 2016, 08:14:45 pm
I'm not sure that is true.  Camden Harmony Grove's Superintendent hired his son (who had just graduated from college and didn't even have his teacher's Licence) for the Head Basketball job on the same night the board voted to hire the former basketball coach to a different position.  The job was never advertised or even open for that matter.   So either CHG broke some rules or the Superintendent can just about do as he pleases with the hiring process.

CHG broke some rules

THA TRUTH

Quote from: sickwillie on November 29, 2016, 03:27:36 pm
You gonna apply?

bdubyab60

Quote from: Dr. Defense on November 29, 2016, 09:33:14 pm
CHG broke some rules
Thats called nepotism and I know it's not allowed where I work. I cannot hire nor manage anyone directly related to me.

bdubyab60

Quote from: playmaker04 on November 29, 2016, 06:44:56 pm
Talked to Greenwell today and he absolutely wants the job and he has let them know.
So as soon as he goes through formalities he will be offered we can assume.

big E

Why wouldn't they let him have the job? Kids know him they obviously play for him. Know brainer for me.

dawgpound

Quote from: Sportsjunky on November 29, 2016, 08:14:45 pm
the sip makes a recommendation and it's up to the board to accept it or not.  Most of the time they will have interviews with ad, principles, and the superintendent to make this recommendation tho

sickwillie

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 29, 2016, 09:45:36 pm

Lol yeah I know

playmaker04

My understanding is there's a couple board members that wants a change. One of them could be heard from the sidelines Friday night being very negative. Loud enough the coach and players could hear it. I'm hearing rumors of Tim Branum and Josh Pagan. Does Branum even still coach? He was my baseball coach at CC and I'm old. Lol. Pagan is Jr high coach at Wynne.

bdubyab60

See to me this is an issue. These fans/board members think they know football. Now they are going to make a decision based on one game probably because the coach didn't call a timeout or something. They are going to base a job decision off of that than what is good for the kids.

It's always more important to win football games

beach bum

Shouldn't this be posted on the "other sports" threads at the bottom of fearless? Maybe even the track and field threads?... This is a job that will need someone with ample distance running expertise!

2aball

Quote from: playmaker04 on November 30, 2016, 10:44:20 am
My understanding is there's a couple board members that wants a change. One of them could be heard from the sidelines Friday night being very negative. Loud enough the coach and players could hear it. I'm hearing rumors of Tim Branum and Josh Pagan. Does Branum even still coach? He was my baseball coach at CC and I'm old. Lol. Pagan is Jr high coach at Wynne.

I don't think Branum is coaching after being let go from Paragould. Or at least if he is I haven't heard where.

OB11

Quote from: 2aball on November 30, 2016, 09:05:41 pm
I don't think Branum is coaching after being let go from Paragould. Or at least if he is I haven't heard where.

I thought he stayed on there in Paragould and just retained all his other duties except for football.  Could be wrong though.

2aball

Quote from: OB11 on December 01, 2016, 01:33:05 pm
I thought he stayed on there in Paragould and just retained all his other duties except for football.  Could be wrong though.

That's what I thought. I worded my post badly. I just meant that I'm pretty sure he isn't coaching anywhere. I think he is still at Paragould.

playmaker04

Quote from: 2aball on December 01, 2016, 07:41:02 pm
That's what I thought. I worded my post badly. I just meant that I'm pretty sure he isn't coaching anywhere. I think he is still at Paragould.
Branum was an assistant on Cross County's 1984 State Championship team.

playmaker04

December 02, 2016, 11:31:07 am #24 Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:16:56 pm by playmaker04
Whoever is coaching Cross County next year will be in good shape. Should have 8 starters on offense and 8 on defense returning. All the running backs that accounted for over 2900 yards and an incoming sophomore that can fly. Big incoming sophomore class should have us up around low 30's .

Razorbacks48

playmaker04

Greenwell won Coach of the Year in the 3-2A. KK Boykin won Back of the Year. Pretty good for an interem coach.

Made

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 09, 2016, 10:22:16 am
Greenwell won Coach of the Year in the 3-2A. KK Boykin won Back of the Year. Pretty good for an interem coach.
surely this job being open is just a dog and pony show after earlier this year.

fhc

playmaker04

Heard yesterday they have received 31 applications including Tim Branum. Starting interview process after the first and expected to make a decision by the end of January. Formed a special committee of to do this.

OB11

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 21, 2016, 11:22:47 am
Heard yesterday they have received 31 applications including Tim Branum. Starting interview process after the first and expected to make a decision by the end of January. Formed a special committee of to do this.

Having 31 to choose from is a great problem to have.  Forming a committee is the best route to go when choosing a new head coach. 

purpleswag

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Committees are a terrible idea. All of these train wreck hiring processes we've seen (Camden Fairview, Watson Chapel, and another that I can't mention on this site, as well as others) have all been because of a committee.

Best practice is to have your AD do his job and find the best coach, then have him interview with the superintendent. 

beach bum

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 22, 2016, 07:47:34 am
Committees are a terrible idea. All of these train wreck hiring processes we've seen (Camden Fairview, Watson Chapel, and another that I can't mention on this site, as well as others) have all been because of a committee.

Best practice is to have your AD do his job and find the best coach, then have him interview with the superintendent.

+1

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 22, 2016, 07:47:34 am

Yep I agree 100%

playmaker04

Steve Williams was the AD. The Superintendent is not on the committee. Supposedly"leaders" from around the community. I hope Greenwell gets it.

Iknewthemwhen

Wondering why you refer to those hires as trainwrecks?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 22, 2016, 09:58:48 am
Steve Williams was the AD. The Superintendent is not on the committee. Supposedly"leaders" from around the community. I hope Greenwell gets it.

What is required to be a "leader" from "around the community"?

Dr. Defense

It surprises me that they didn't just give it to the interim with the job he did

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 22, 2016, 12:05:59 pm
Wondering why you refer to those hires as trainwrecks?
Not the hires themselves.

Camden had 8 on the committee that was completely split. Caused a rift in the community that it appearsthey are still feeling today.

Watson Chapel had so many people that wanted a say that the school board didn't approve the hire and I believe the Supt temporarily resigned over it.

Another place had a committee that wanted a candidate, but the AD and Supt wanted a different one. They ended up choosing the guy they wanted which basically wasted everybody's time and unnecessarily hurt feelings.

I know of another place where the Supt said he was making the hire even though there was a committee, made several comments that made candidates feel like the job was theirs to turn down, then hired someone different.

I'm not saying that any of those were bad hires, but the process itself was terrible.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 22, 2016, 06:33:25 pm
Not the hires themselves.

Camden had 8 on the committee that was completely split. Caused a rift in the community that it appearsthey are still feeling today.

Watson Chapel had so many people that wanted a say that the school board didn't approve the hire and I believe the Supt temporarily resigned over it.

Another place had a committee that wanted a candidate, but the AD and Supt wanted a different one. They ended up choosing the guy they wanted which basically wasted everybody's time and unnecessarily hurt feelings.

I know of another place where the Supt said he was making the hire even though there was a committee, made several comments that made candidates feel like the job was theirs to turn down, then hired someone different.

I'm not saying that any of those were bad hires, but the process itself was terrible.

Watson Chapel was des arc's  Prescott wasn't it?

Dayton Kitchens

I remember my interview for head junior high coach at White Hall I think it was.

I came in and there were no less than 8 people sitting along a conference table facing my lone chair.

I asked:

"Where do I enter my plea?"

Iknewthemwhen

Isn't a large part of getting a job about who you know?  As far as the hiring process being terrible, would that be your opinion of the consensus of those involved?  I thought the school board always had to approve hires?  I see coaches getting jobs that don't work out all the time, are all the hiring processes in those cases a trainwreck as well?

Iknewthemwhen

So who should be making the hire for these coaching jobs? 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I don't think it is always a trainwreck with a committee. I just thinks it's best to keep as few people involved as possible. The more people involved, the more people think they have a say. In the end, the people that will be responsible for how good or bad the coach does should be the ones making the decision (AD or Principal and Supt).

Iknewthemwhen

I'm sure that sounds good, unfortunately some of those folks don't know diddly about coaching or hiring.  I'm not sure what the answer is, and while having the super, principal or AD do the hiring has resulted in lots of bad hires, so whats the answer.  ??

Wonderdog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 22, 2016, 07:31:10 pm
I'm sure that sounds good, unfortunately some of those folks don't know diddly about coaching or hiring.  I'm not sure what the answer is, and while having the super, principal or AD do the hiring has resulted in lots of bad hires, so whats the answer.  ??
I would think more often than not that an AD, principal and superintendent are the folks "most qualified" to make a coaching/teaching hire. Each of them had to spend years in the classroom and on the field/court before they earned the opportunity to be an AD, principal or superintendent.

Basically, they know the job and the qualities to look for in selecting the best candidate. Not a school board member or community member that has (most likely) no experience in the teaching/coaching profession. I am not considering pee-wee or travel ball as a profession in this instance. (disclaimer: this ideology does not include potential political motives)

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Wonderdog on December 22, 2016, 11:42:56 pm
I would think more often than not that an AD, principal and superintendent are the folks "most qualified" to make a coaching/teaching hire. Each of them had to spend years in the classroom and on the field/court before they earned the opportunity to be an AD, principal or superintendent.

Basically, they know the job and the qualities to look for in selecting the best candidate. Not a school board member or community member that has (most likely) no experience in the teaching/coaching profession. I am not considering pee-wee or travel ball as a profession in this instance. (disclaimer: this ideology does not include potential political motives)

Yep

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Wonderdog on December 22, 2016, 11:42:56 pm

You would think this was true, but sadly not always so.  There are principals, AD's, and even supers who, did not spend years in the class room but rather just a few, 3-5 even.  Principals who got out of the classroom early and went into administration, particularly in smaller districts.  AD's who were not coaches ever, in their careers but principals who got the AD job to boast their pay, and the same for some supers. The larger schools get the better, at least in terms of experience, candidates.  This is where the bad hires are coming from.  People who are supposed to know but do not.  Another problem is hiring people they "know" but who are not qualified.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas