• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highland & Southside....

Started by SUGARTOWN, June 24, 2015, 09:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Proud Buckaroo

I think if Southside is forced to change their name. Then all rebels in ARKANSAS should change their name.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 24, 2015, 09:59:18 am
I think if Southside is forced to change their name. Then all rebels in ARKANSAS should change their name.

Was Southside forced?    I thought it was a schoolboard decision.   

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 24, 2015, 10:12:17 am

It was "forced" by this PC generation.

TBone70

Yes is was the boards decision, They are not Rebels, the are called Southerners, which I guess is a Bad thing, but not in my book. They included the Ban to not play Dixie, and any confederate flag insignia's.

My School of Highland is called The Rebels and No decision as of yet. I hate these outside influences putting Pressure on these Schools and peer pressure about History and how its not Politically correct. SMH

TBone70

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 24, 2015, 10:19:49 am

It was "forced" by this PC generation.
+1

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: TBone70 on June 24, 2015, 10:22:45 am

Yes is was the boards decision, They are not Rebels, the are called Southerners, which I guess is a Bad thing, but not in my book. They included the Ban to not play Dixie, and any confederate flag insignia's.

My School of Highland is called The Rebels and No decision as of yet. I hate these outside influences putting Pressure on these Schools and peer pressure about History and how its not Politically correct. SMH

I assumed Private Lesson was talking about Fort Smith Southside. SS Batesville hasn't changed anything have they?

TBone70

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 24, 2015, 10:24:49 am

I assumed Private Lesson was talking about Fort Smith Southside. SS Batesville hasn't changed anything have they?
Southside not yet or I haven't heard, which is called the Southerners. Just looked at the first post which had a Rebel with Southerners written below it.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 24, 2015, 10:24:49 am

You were correct in your assumptions. 

Jacketman65

Could this not be considered discrimination toward the Rebels and the South in general.  As far as I am concerned the race issues are long gone and over with.  Certain groups just take every opportunity they get to stir the issue.  What will be attacked next?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 24, 2015, 11:55:50 am
Could this not be considered discrimination toward the Rebels and the South in general.  As far as I am concerned the race issues are long gone and over with.

A. There aren't any more "Rebels". Haven't been any for well over 100 years.

B. Race issues are long gone??? Wow.  :o

TBone70

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 24, 2015, 12:06:11 pm
Could this not be considered discrimination toward the Rebels and the South in general.  As far as I am concerned the race issues are long gone and over with.

Oh know here we go.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: TBone70 on June 24, 2015, 12:14:39 pm

Oh know here we go.

I realize this is the wrong forum for this conversation, so I won't continue it. I just find it fascinating that people actually think like this.

Jimbo Morphis

just change it to rednecks. we aren't offended.

FBfan79

June 24, 2015, 01:18:47 pm #14 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:21:36 pm by FBfan79
Hillbillies?

Jacketman65

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 24, 2015, 12:17:33 pm

Oh know here we go.

I realize this is the wrong forum for this conversation, so I won't continue it. I just find it fascinating that people actually think like this.
Please don't!  You totally misunderstand!

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 24, 2015, 01:39:27 pm

Oh know here we go.

You have lots of posts like this all over the board. Good thing you live in clinton

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 24, 2015, 04:53:47 pm

Oh know here we go.

You have lots of posts like this all over the board. Good thing you live in clinton
Good thing you liberals live in Stuttgart!  Keep giving up your rights and pretty soon you and ole sugarbritches will say that it is OK to burn the American flag!  It no longer has to fly in some places in California!

zebradynasty

Oh know here we go.

+1

beach bum

June 24, 2015, 07:41:21 pm #20 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:44:30 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Jack1990 on June 24, 2015, 03:35:01 pm
Even made FoxNews...

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-to-ban-rebel-mascot-and-dixie-fight-song.html

The guy had some decent points until he started comparing cultural change in the U.S. to ISIS   ::) .... cause there are so many beheadings going on everywhere you look. They are happening at the grocery store, little league games, and gas stations. I am seeing them everywhere.......... sarcasm.

phdefense

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 24, 2015, 07:04:25 pm

Oh know here we go.

Good thing you liberals live in Stuttgart!  Keep giving up your rights and pretty soon you and ole sugarbritches will say that it is OK to burn the American flag!  It no longer has to fly in some places in California!
Have you ever looked at the flag code? Burning is how you are supposed to dispose of the flag.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#176

Quote(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Jacketman65

Quote from: phdefense on June 24, 2015, 08:01:57 pm
Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 24, 2015, 07:04:25 pm

Oh know here we go.

Have you ever looked at the flag code? Burning is how you are supposed to dispose of the flag.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#176

Quote(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
You know what I am talking about!

cuckoobird

I bet you've burned a cross or two in your time

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 25, 2015, 07:06:00 am
Nope - never even considered it!  There is such a thing as standing up for our rights!  Just look around this world - certain words that can not be used by some people, but OK for others.  Certain mascots that are not politically correct and now the Rebel flag!  IS THIS NOT PART OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH?  Oh, I forgot, it is good for some but not others!  Go have a good liberal day!

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 25, 2015, 08:09:49 am
Nope - never even considered it!  There is such a thing as standing up for our rights!  Just look around this world - certain words that can not be used by some people, but OK for others.  Certain mascots that are not politically correct and now the Rebel flag!  IS THIS NOT PART OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH?  Oh, I forgot, it is good for some but not others!  Go have a good liberal day!
I'm about as close to being liberal as Ronald Reagan but I'm no far of to the right nut either. Maybe you should change your screename to RightWingNut

SUGARTOWN

Fort Smith SS wasn't FORCED to change their mascot, their school board voted on it. Of course we all have freedom of speech, but what we don't have is freedom from the backlash from speech. You can say whatever you want, that's freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean anybody has to listen or agree with you.

I'm thinking they took the prudent path and opted to change their mascot and move on rather than endure any more controversy. After all it's only a mascot for some sports teams. Educating the kids should be the #1 priority of the school board.

LakeRat

If it were an issue with a specific individual, meaning a private citizen, rather than a government funded/operated (city, county, state & federal) entity such as a public school then you might have a protection claim under the 1st amendment of the US Constitution... But in this case you do not.

Also... Rebels and/or Southerners are not protected groups under any sort of discrimination laws within the US.

I don't make these points to support any agenda other than simple education. If you had paid attention in your history, civics and social studies classes in school you might be better able to present a compelling case for what's going on in response to the social/cultural crisis in the US.

This boloney regarding flags and school mascots are just knee-jerk reactions to symbolisms that are easy targets to blame for complex issues surrounding the recent tragedy in South Carolina. People want simple quick solutions... Most with any sort of common sense know that changing flags or school mascots won't change tragic criminal behavior. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: LakeRat on June 25, 2015, 09:09:01 am

If it were an issue with a specific individual, meaning a private citizen, rather than a government funded/operated (city, county, state & federal) entity such as a public school then you might have a protection claim under the 1st amendment of the US Constitution... But in this case you do not.

Also... Rebels and/or Southerners are not protected groups under any sort of discrimination laws within the US.

I don't make these points to support any agenda other than simple education. If you had paid attention in your history, civics and social studies classes in school you might be better able to present a compelling case for what's going on in response to the social/cultural crisis in the US.

This boloney regarding flags and school mascots are just knee-jerk reactions to symbolisms that are easy targets to blame for complex issues surrounding the recent tragedy in South Carolina. People want simple quick solutions... Most with any sort of common sense know that changing flags or school mascots won't change tragic criminal behavior.
Well said

PrivateLesson

Excellent Point, LakeRat.   

I find it all heartbreakingly sad.   The whole thing, issued, circumstances....all begs for people to pray and try to heal our country.   

zebradynasty

WHAT ???? You can still fly the flag nobody is stopping you if you want to fly it at home or wear it on a t-shirt. Heck I would even march against it if they were to ban it period. The way you present your argument is a big part of why so many people have decided it was time to move the image away from the the backwoods and ignorant views of the old south.

cuckoobird

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 25, 2015, 03:39:33 pm

WHAT ???? You can still fly the flag nobody is stopping you if you want to fly it at home or wear it on a t-shirt. Heck I would even march against it if they were to ban it period. The way you present your argument is a big part of why so many people have decided it was time to move the image away from the the backwoods and ignorant views of the old south.
+1

Proud Buckaroo

I know this is the wrong board to even bring this up... But, Honestly.. How many people who are hollering "this is my heritage" actually understand the meaning of that confederate flag?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 25, 2015, 04:41:31 pm
I know this is the wrong board to even bring this up... But, Honestly.. How many people who are hollering "this is my heritage" actually understand the meaning of that confederate flag?

You aren't going to get anywhere with this....LoL

zebradynasty

Quote from: HF on June 25, 2015, 06:57:28 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 25, 2015, 04:41:31 pm

You aren't going to get anywhere with this....LoL

Nope! :)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas