• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where did it start....and more

Started by whippersnapper, May 23, 2015, 12:11:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

Just to help pass the off season time, I thought maybe you would like to share where your love of football started? Did you grow up in a coaches house? Or watched with your dad every Sunday? The more could be anything else football related. Some best of the best games, teams, or players you have ever watched? Were still a few weeks away from hootens coming out.

WPWells

Going to Charleston games at a young age to watch my cousin in the band

AirWarren

My love of football started when I was really young. Began with a love for the Florida Gators and Miami hurricanes. Players like RB Erick Rhett, Ray lewis, Danny wuerffel, and the list goes on and on. Always had a love for running backs so I was a big fan of Jerome bettis. I began playing football at a young age through the warren YMCA then tackle football at the ymca. Played Jr jack football up until 9th grade. We always watched football on Friday noghts, Saturday and Sunday at home, ha. I still do that as an adult.

Best players I've seen in person are Bret smith, jarius wright, Jonathan luigs, to name a few.

cuckoobird

Going with my dad to all the Gillett football games, home or away in the late 70's and early 80's. I always wanted to be a Wolf after that.

polksalet

I grew up within 5 miles of Nashville, Arkansas.

whippersnapper

My freshman year was 2006 and the West Fork tigers experienced their best season ever. I was on the drumline so I was able to to every game. Also I had wood shop class with All state tailback Jacob Hoops, All state Linebacker Thomas Richardson and all conf lineman Corey Underhill. We went 11-3, conf runner ups and sem-finalists. We held a 14-0 Shiloh team to their lowest scoring game that season in the conf championship game 35-7. Lost to Prescott in the semi's  19-18, the lack of numbers wore on us in the 2nd half after an 18-0 lead. We only had 24 players that year. That following summer I bought my first hootens and been a fan of football ever since.

AirWarren

Quote from: polksalet on May 23, 2015, 07:03:34 pm
I grew up within 5 miles of Nashville, Arkansas.

My condolences, my orange and black brethren.

TIGER101

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2015, 05:35:44 pm
Going with my dad to all the Gillett football games, home or away in the late 70's and early 80's. I always wanted to be a Wolf after that.

Dang, you are old!!!

cuckoobird

Quote from: TIGER101 on May 23, 2015, 10:50:53 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2015, 05:35:44 pm

Dang, you are old!!!
Still younger than you!

tmycjy

Mine love for football came from my dad he public address announcer for wynne high school football team

Oldbadger

May 25, 2015, 08:39:34 pm #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:41:14 pm by Oldbadger
I am probably much older than most of you, but my story is very simple and indicative of what most good coaches should do.  I was just finishing my sophomore year in school and my coach came up to me and asked me to play football.  So I did. Started at left offensive guard and left defensive guard.  Of course that was back when men were men and played both ways. lol. Of course it was at Arkadelphia.

Made

I graduated from the home of Paul Bear Bryant, Larry Lacewell, Red Parker, Ray Lee Johnson, Kevin Williams, Coaches I played for....Boomer Brown, Theodis Ingram, Frankie Gathen, Clay Totty, Steve Baxley, Blair Brown. I could name some more, but those were the most notable. Granted I was at three different schools between 7-12 but they all had an impact on me.

Superjack45

Born and raised a Lumberjack but it all started in 75 watching my favorite team the Pittsburgh Steelers and fell in love with the game from that point on. Played my first year in the 8th grade under Tommy Arnold and    played in the T formation and 3 yards and a cloud of dust was what football was about. We talking about 3 a days,you got to love the game practicing 3 times a day in 8th grade back when it was hot as heck. I still get goose bumps to this day when I go to a game but that's why it the greatest game ever. You Gotta Love It.

4AWhistler

Watching football on Sundays with Dad.  I'd always ask him which team he was pulling for and when he'd choose, I'd promptly pick the other team, no matter who it was!  Except when the Steelers were playing, and then I'd have to side with him.

And Crossett football on Friday nights.

jujudog

I grew up in Mena, graduated in '86. In 1985 our head coach retired(Barron). great coach. Our new head coach wanted us to conform to his strategies instead of working on our stregths. We bombed that year. Lost my love for the game then. About 3 years ago my 8 year old son was sitting on my lap as we watched U of A play.  I explained everything i could about what was going on and he soaked it up.  Can't remember the exact game because after the first gamehe watched with me he was hooked. He's 11 now, to old to sit on my lap and watch football... But we watch every game we can together. He plays in our local pee-wee football league now and loves it. Watching him fall in love with the game brought my love for the game back. He's a little monster on the field. he can't wait to play jr high and high school ball! I can though, I'm enjoying watching him and his sister grow up!

Gray lizard

It was at a young age for me.  My brother three years older than me played peewee football and my dad coached the team.  This was at the base in Fort Lee, VA.  You had to be 9 for the first league and my brother played on the 11 year old league. I was just 8.  My dad let me practice with the team. After doing well in practice he got an exception for me to play because he was coaching.  My dad retired from the Army in 1975 and we moved back to Arkansas when I was in the 3rd grade.  Back then you had to be in the 5th grade to play peewee.  I was some kind of upset I could not play. 
Now I coach my youngest boys peewee team.  He is going into the 6th grade and plays at Pottsville.  He is ate up with football like I was as a youngster.  I can not wait for the season to start.  This is a special group of boys and I plan on taking the league they play in this year.

SouthpawSensation

I'll really show my age on this one ...
I grew up as a sports fanatic in what many would consider a non-sports family. My mother loves to tell the story about how I pleaded with her to get out of the hospital in time so I could watch the Super Bowl (Colts vs. Cowboys), then she sat and watched it with me that day.
I didn't get to go to many high school games until my teenage years, but I tried to listen to games on the radio and faithfully read newspapers to keep up with teams. Now I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not at a high school football game on Friday nights.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas