• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lincoln open?

Started by beach bum, April 01, 2015, 10:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

IPROFB

Quote from: Pack_Mentality on April 07, 2015, 09:46:25 pm
Quote from: beach bum on April 07, 2015, 09:03:08 pm
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 09:01:21 pm
Quote from: IPROFB on April 07, 2015, 08:34:41 pm
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 08:14:52 pm
I would like to know who on staff is qualified?

Coach Myers

The past 3 years he has given up 132 points to PG. From past posts , people were saying he was a Wing-T guy

My guess is he gets the job... but he shouldn't.

I bet if the last three years y'all had Myers and we had your DC the results would be the same. Players make the coach. Anybody that says different is fooling themselves.

True

beach bum

April 07, 2015, 10:47:49 pm #51 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:56:55 pm by beach bum
I am laughing if you are trying to say Myers is a better coach than the guys on staff at PG  ::) ..... and I don't think he was talking about Lincoln changing to the Wing T. I believe he was talking about Lincoln not stopping PG's Wing T when they have a defensive coordinator who has been around that offense for a long time. The Wing T can be tougher if you aren't around it ever but you know if you have been around it that it is basically 4 or 5 base plays.

Beaver Fever

You can say that about any system, they are all based off of a small set of core plays.   If you didn't have core plays that were built off each other you would just be running random plays. 

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: beach bum on April 07, 2015, 10:47:49 pm
I am laughing if you are trying to say Myers is a better coach than the guys on staff at PG  ::) ..... and I don't think he was talking about Lincoln changing to the Wing T. I believe he was talking about Lincoln not stopping PG's Wing T when they have a defensive coordinator who has been around that offense for a long time. The Wing T can be tougher if you aren't around it ever but you know if you have been around it that it is basically 4 or 5 base plays.

Hey Mr. Bum I did some asking around. Now this did not come from the horse's mouth, but apparently Myers was the OC at West Memphis for a while in the 90's and possibly 80's. I would venture to say his record as the OC is much better than any coach on PG's staff. So i guess what I am trying to say is start laughing.

whippersnapper

But wins and losses don't go against the coordinators, it goes on the HC. So Meyers HC record is what?

Tigerdad2

PG was Lincoln in the early 90's and Coach Abshier has won 160 games since then, so I guess Meyers can do the same

beach bum

April 08, 2015, 02:30:56 pm #56 Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:33:27 pm by beach bum
If people knew how bad Prairie Grove was the 15 years before Abshier came I think they would understand.... the late 80's was literally as bad as a program can be. In the first bit of the 90's it wasn't much better. The turnaround speaks for itself.

beach bum

April 08, 2015, 02:32:51 pm #57 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:53:41 am by beach bum
Secondly, West Memphis was a gold mind for talent for a long stretch until recent years that Myers got to utilize. Name one person from Prairie Grove that has even gone onto do anything substantial at the DII level. You won't find a single one. We have had guys here and there play at the next level in DII but not a single one has done much while there.

beach bum

I believe 27 applied for the position. There should be some really good ones to pick from out of 27... that's a good problem to have if that many really applied. It will be interesting to see who they go with.

Tigerdad2

Davenport spotted at Fayetteville Saturday,, guess he's joining the Fayetteville staff

beach bum

Like I said before, if there is a consolation prize for him its he gets a raise by being an assistant again.

cuckoobird

Quote from: beach bum on April 08, 2015, 02:30:56 pm
If people knew how bad Prairie Grove was the 15 years before Abshier came I think they would understand.... the late 80's was literally as bad as a program can be. In the first bit of the 90's it wasn't much better. The turnaround speaks for itself.
They're good now?! I haven't noticed

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 13, 2015, 12:14:07 am
Quote from: beach bum on April 08, 2015, 02:30:56 pm
They're good now?! I haven't noticed

Come on Koobird.... don't make me talk about losing to Marianna. That would be like us losing to Lincoln. We aren't the Waldron of the state anymore like in the 1980's. It was even worse. 40 something losses in a row in the mid to late 1980's

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 12, 2015, 05:35:04 pm
Davenport spotted at Fayetteville Saturday,, guess he's joining the Fayetteville staff
I've heard through the grapevine that Davenport will be one of the Fayetteville ninth-grade coaches, seeing the freshmen will move to the high school next year and not in the junior high.

getbent

I figured someone would have a list of applicants/interviews up already?

doober3

TIGER101

April 17, 2015, 06:55:02 pm #66 Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:31:08 am by TIGER101
I have been out of the loop some this year and haven't spoken to Laird.  Was It because they haven't ask for an interview again?

TIGER101

Lincoln has school board meeting tonight.  4/20/15

JohnBarleycorn

Did they hire someone?

whippersnapper

whippersnapper

Any latest rumors for Lincoln?

catinthehat

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 24, 2015, 07:27:27 pm

Lincoln has problems beyond coaching. They have administrative issues. Meyers is by far the most qualified coach on the staff. He's experienced, smart and the kids respect him. I know that for a fact. Just ask'em. Seems the players wanted him last year and they want him this year. Burkes Is the AD and he seems to have problems with everybody over there, especially Meyers. He runs over the weak female admins at that school. From what I hear he doesn't like Meyers because he's brutally honest and he can't run over him. Weak leaders are intimidated by that. Yes, Meyers put in the wing t offense too late in the season. But what do you do when the head coach says this is what we are doing? Tell him no? He's one of those guys that will tell you the truth even if it isn't what you want to hear. I know people who have taken the time to get to know Meyers and say you'll always know where he stands and he'll never stab you in the back. There seems o be a lot of politicking that goes on in Lincoln and everywhere. It is a shame you can't just be a good coach. Look at the ad for the Lincoln coaching position. They aren't looking for a "coach". They're looking for a hand-shaking PR guy. I know of many great coaches who'd shy away from that. Great coaches love the game and the kids and they have to tolerate know-it-all fans. Again, Burkes is the stumbling block for the football program/athletcs in Lincoln. Hire Meyers and they'll be on solid ground. PG folks would need to be afraid in a few more years if Meyers was actually in charge and not playing second fiddle all the time.

beach bum

Quote from: catinthehat on April 26, 2015, 09:58:32 am
Quote from: whippersnapper on April 24, 2015, 07:27:27 pm

Lincoln has problems beyond coaching. They have administrative issues. Meyers is by far the most qualified coach on the staff. He's experienced, smart and the kids respect him. I know that for a fact. Just ask'em. Seems the players wanted him last year and they want him this year. Burkes Is the AD and he seems to have problems with everybody over there, especially Meyers. He runs over the weak female admins at that school. From what I hear he doesn't like Meyers because he's brutally honest and he can't run over him. Weak leaders are intimidated by that. Yes, Meyers put in the wing t offense too late in the season. But what do you do when the head coach says this is what we are doing? Tell him no? He's one of those guys that will tell you the truth even if it isn't what you want to hear. I know people who have taken the time to get to know Meyers and say you'll always know where he stands and he'll never stab you in the back. There seems o be a lot of politicking that goes on in Lincoln and everywhere. It is a shame you can't just be a good coach. Look at the ad for the Lincoln coaching position. They aren't looking for a "coach". They're looking for a hand-shaking PR guy. I know of many great coaches who'd shy away from that. Great coaches love the game and the kids and they have to tolerate know-it-all fans. Again, Burkes is the stumbling block for the football program/athletcs in Lincoln. Hire Meyers and they'll be on solid ground. PG folks would need to be afraid in a few more years if Meyers was actually in charge and not playing second fiddle all the time.

Your last sentence is quite hilarious.

whippersnapper

You need a coach that can the kids out, not home or to other sports. In todays game every coach has to do some PR if they want support from the community and parents. Winning isnt enough now a days. One person mentioned how they never saw Davenport out in the community getting to know people. That isnt going to work well when you need to raise money, etc. You have to shake some hands and kiss babies. 

Oldbadger

April 26, 2015, 07:03:16 pm #74 Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:05:33 pm by Oldbadger
Quote from: whippersnapper on April 26, 2015, 12:52:57 pm
You need a coach that can the kids out, not home or to other sports. In todays game every coach has to do some PR if they want support from the community and parents. Winning isnt enough now a days. One person mentioned how they never saw Davenport out in the community getting to know people. That isnt going to work well when you need to raise money, etc. You have to shake some hands and kiss babies. 
+1
Every successful coach I know does this. At Lincoln, it will have to be done.

catinthehat

Quote from: Oldbadger on April 26, 2015, 07:03:16 pm
Quote from: whippersnapper on April 26, 2015, 12:52:57 pm
+1
Every successful coach I know does this. At Lincoln, it will have to be done.

Coaches who can be called "successful" are not called so unless they win. I don't care how many babies are kissed along the way, winning is still first and foremost. Otherwise, schools wouldn't spend so much money on scoreboards. I suppose Lincoln is different than anywhere else. If a coach gets his butt kicked, it's OK as long as he stands at the gate and shakes hands and thanks everyone for coming to the shellacking. I'd hate to see coaching reduced from a butt kicking to a butt kissing profession. Anyway, I'm pretty confident that if the next coach wins games, the community will find a way to support him. They might even let him stay another year.

whippersnapper

In Harris's first 3 seasons he went 3-27, winning a lot of games huh? No but Lincoln as a community and fan base hadnt given up on Harris. Why you may ask? Because he was winning OFF the field. He was doing things mentioned earlier. And if public relations didnt matter then SD would still be the coach of lincoln.

beach bum

I just don't get why they aren't moving the process forward when that many people applied. There has to be some good ones if over 25 applied. Why not get the process moving so the kids know who they are going to be playing for.

4AWhistler

AD has been seen giving a couple of applicants tour of the campus, so I think the process is moving forward.

catinthehat

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 28, 2015, 07:20:05 am
In Harris's first 3 seasons he went 3-27, winning a lot of games huh? No but Lincoln as a community and fan base hadnt given up on Harris. Why you may ask? Because he was winning OFF the field. He was doing things mentioned earlier. And if public relations didnt matter then SD would still be the coach of Lincoln.

They didn't let Brad stay because he was "winning off the field". They let him stay because he was WINNING ON THE FIELD with his 7th grade and junior high who were 27 and 3! His first year the 7th grade went 9 and 0!! Simmons, Barnum, Cummings, etc. (The good group) They WERE winning and people were happy with allowing him stay. Had he gone 3 and 27 in the 7th grade and junior high programs, no amount of "winning off the field" would have saved him. If Davenport had had  that same crew...he'd still be the head coach, in spite of his poor PR skills.

4AWhistler

Lincoln is close to making an announcement.

The Ref

Quote from: 4AWhistler link=topic=141399.msg3156538#msg3156538 date=143044

Is it a current 4A head coach?

beach bum

April 30, 2015, 09:22:10 pm #82 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:27:04 pm by beach bum
Quote from: The Ref on April 30, 2015, 09:12:43 pm

What head coach at a 4A school would leave to go to Lincoln? I am asking that seriously....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on April 30, 2015, 09:22:10 pm

What head coach at a 4A school would leave to go to Lincoln? I am asking that seriously....

It might be a step from Waldron 8)

4AWhistler

Decision has been made, and special school board meeting Monday evening.  Not hiring from within current staff which I think is a shame.  Don't know a name, yet.

The Ref

You do realize that NW AR is the best area of the state to live in? Many coaches have family's to think about & moving from a less desirable area to Lincoln might be a draw for several. I know one HC that interviewed from a prestigious 4A program.

beach bum

Quote from: The Ref on April 30, 2015, 11:13:18 pm

You do realize that NW AR is the best area of the state to live in? Many coaches have family's to think about & moving from a less desirable area to Lincoln might be a draw for several. I know one HC that interviewed from a prestigious 4A program.

Well he will get to familiarize himself with 350 yard rushing games against PG.... and it won't be Lincoln getting the 350  ;D

Tigerdad2

Quote from: beach bum on April 30, 2015, 11:36:04 pm
Quote from: The Ref on April 30, 2015, 11:13:18 pm

Well he will get to familiarize himself with 350 yard rushing games against PG.... and it won't be Lincoln getting the 350  ;D
But they have a DC who is a "Wing-T" guy , he should be able to stop it!

TIGER101

May 02, 2015, 06:45:09 pm #88 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:44:28 am by TIGER101
[

catinthehat

Quote from: TIGER101 on May 02, 2015, 06:45:09 pm
Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 30, 2015, 10:18:00 pm
Decision has been made, and special school board meeting Monday evening.  Not hiring from within current staff which I think is a shame.  Don't know a name, yet.

I know multiple members of the school board and they haven't heard this.  Not saying the AD doesn't have his man/woman, unless they are really being hush, hush, you could be correct on that.

According to some Lincoln players, there were "guys" walking around as late as lunch on Friday, interviewing for the job, getting the big "tour". I'll bet that's impressive.

TIGER101

May 02, 2015, 08:21:28 pm #90 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:45:23 am by TIGER101
Poster said it was being announced on Monday.  If they were interviewing on Friday then the decision has not been made.

Okieback

How has the junior high been the last few years? I read about the good group, but what about now?

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: Okieback on May 04, 2015, 07:14:52 am
How has the junior high been the last few years? I read about the good group, but what about now?

Last years JR High won 1 or 2 ball games. Two years before that around .500 each year. Current 8th graders are the "so called" next group. Went 9-1 as 7th graders. I'm sure most blame coaching around here for the bad showing this year, but from what I saw undersized and below average athletes. Could change with maturity but it is going to take a lot of hard work. Compared to where the last two seniors classes were in Jr. High the current 8th graders are way behind. But just my opinion. I'm sure other parents might feel different.

catinthehat

Quote from: Okieback on May 04, 2015, 07:14:52 am
How has the junior high been the last few years? I read about the good group, but what about no

Pretty much nailed it, Pack. Not looking that great for the Wolves. It takes talent to win. Parents (and other coaches) can blame coaching all they want, but usually they just have an over-inflated impression of how great their kids are and it feels a lot better to blame the "dumb coaches". It's a parental cop out. Sad, but true. Coaches often think they're geniuses when it's pretty basic - they have talent to work with. Good kids make coaches look good; bad kids make coaches look bad.
Not complicated to figure out.

IPROFB

Big Papa Wolf

I have stayed out of a lot of this talk, but there is a lot of stuff being posted as fact. Therefore, I am going to throw my opinion out there also. The 8th grade class you speak of is probably the best class in the school system as of right now. Are they as good as the group that graduated last year? Only time will tell, they have 4 more years to grow and develop. Let us not forget that group of seniors that was the driving force in the best season Lincoln has ever had, also had key players like Harris, Pitts, Rowe, Maddox, Ayers, Hudson, and Emilio, who were all juniors and played huge rolls on that team also. Those 8th graders had to play out last season with what is probably the most unathletic  class in the school system. The freshman group from this past season is a very small group and has struggled to even have enough players to play all the way back to pee wee football. When you start 4 offensive linemen, a quarterback that had just turned 13, 2 running backs, and a receiver that were all 8th graders then yes they will look smaller and sometimes less athletic than their opponent. I will tell you they are a good class with a good mix of linemen and skill players and have pretty good total numbers. They will have a chance to accomplish great things also, if the right coach is hired and then retained throughout the rest of their careers. But, that is just my opinion.

beach bum

May 04, 2015, 04:37:14 pm #96 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:39:26 pm by beach bum
The 8th grade class you speak of only dominated 7th grade because they had a RB who matured physically faster than everyone else. A lot of kids in 7th grade look 3 years older than the other kids in their grade. His brother was the same. Time will negate that as well as the staffs at Gravette, Pea Ridge, Shiloh, and PG developing players. Harris got kids out in numbers better than any previous coach at Lincoln. Even when they lost under Harris the kids played hard and didn't quit in games. They played hard for him in baseball even. He is the only one at Lincoln in football I ever saw them play hard and smart for even in losses. It paid off for him with an 11 win season eventually.

Big Papa Wolf

Once again stating opinion as if was fact. I disagree. I believe that what carried them was defense. They had a middle linebacker that would stuff everything B gap to B gap. They played hard and physical on that side of the ball. That is what I feel carried them to their victories not one running back. It takes 11 guys to play defense and they only gave up 6.2 points per ball game and that included giving up 30 to Stilwells 8th and some 9th graders. Without that it was 3.2 points per game. I think you are going to win a lot of games with scoring defense like that. Like I said my opinion and my opinion says the right coach will make a huge difference. They may not reach the heights of some of the other groups but I refuse to right them off.

catinthehat

Good point, Big Papa.

Oldbadger

So, who got the job?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas