• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lincoln open?

Started by beach bum, April 01, 2015, 10:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pack_Mentality

Horrible move by Lincoln. The guy has more experience than the whole staff combined. Sounds like the AD is the one really running the show. That's a good recipe for success.

Tigerdad2

If you bash your boss publicly , numerous times. Their should be consequences for his actions.

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on June 07, 2015, 08:11:18 am
If you bash your boss publicly , numerous times. Their  should be consequences for his actions.

Did you personally see this take place?

Pack_Mentality

Because if we are going off of strictly hear say let me tell you what I got. I heard the AD was bragging about reassigning him before and after. I also heard he regularly bashed Meyer's in public. I also heard he told Davenport what system to run on offense and defense. I also heard he told Davenport who should call plays on offense and defense. But those are just things I heard.

4AWhistler

Quote from: Pack_Mentality on June 07, 2015, 08:38:48 am
Because if we are going off of strictly hear say let me tell you what I got. I heard the AD was bragging about reassigning him before and after. I also heard he regularly bashed Meyer's in public. I also heard he told Davenport what system to run on offense and defense. I also heard he told Davenport who should call plays on offense and defense. But those are just things I heard.
From the conversations I overheard between coaches last year, I believe AD was responsible for moving coaches around during the middle if the season.  If Davenport hadn't reassigned to teaching duties only this year, I don't think he would have opted to stay much longer if he wasn't going to be allowed to coach 'his' team.

To Tigerdad, you're more than welcome to share your inside information.  I've never heard Meyers say a word in public.  Now if you're having a conversation with fellow teachers/coaches and you're venting, I don't think that calls for consequences as you call them.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Pack_Mentality on June 07, 2015, 07:50:51 am
Horrible move by Lincoln. The guy has more experience than the whole staff combined. Sounds like the AD is the one really running the show. That's a good recipe for success.
whos the superintendent and where's the elected school board officials in all this?   

catinthehat

Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 07, 2015, 04:33:26 pm
whos the superintendent and where's the elected school board officials in all this?

I don't think the school board has to approve such "reassignments"...however, pretty sure the super would be a part of that decision. It's the AD's call in most schools where that happens. But Lincoln's AD has been working on this for a while. Still, meyers will be missed by a lot of folks. The move to can Bounds as the OC last year was a good idea. Davenport figured out that the AD calling the football shots was a bad idea. I hope Harrison does well, but he's in a bad situation at Lincoln, unless he just likes taking orders. Best advice for him is -- don't rock the boat. Tiger Dad has said several times on this post that Meyers ought not bash his "boss" publicly. I think he just has a beef with Meyers...for some reason. I also heard that Meyers PUBLICLY expresses his disappointment that the track is still a joke, 4 years after it was started. And ask some of the players what kind of locker room/bathroom facilities are available during halftime for them. I guess the fact that Meyers expects INDOOR PLUMBING is out of line? SHHHHH, Coach Meyers. Someone might hear you "bash" your boss when you express your dissatisfaction with the 4 year fieldhouse project that is nowhere near completion.  Come on, that's somebody's fault. I mean, is Coach Meyers the only person in Lincoln with standards and high expectations? Maybe the Lincoln parents ought be the ones kicking up a fuss on behalf of their kids to have a "pot to pee in" and not leaving it to Coach Meyers. Because you see what that got him. Lincoln parents are satisfied with crap facilities. I don't think Meyers is OK with that. I agree with Whistler, though. He'll be missed. At least the AD learned something from last year.  He unwisely tried to involve Davenport in Meyers' demise, thinking he could "bash" Meyers and it would go unnoticed. But it backfired when Davenport got to know Meyers and realized that he was a great coach and a good guy. Brutally honest, but good guy. That's all I've ever seen, too. Even though the AD tried to tell Davenport something different. Well, Davenport...now you gotta go! This time AD took no chances that Harrison might actually like and respect Meyers, too. Got rid of Meyers quickly before they could form a mutual respect for each other. It's not like you have to be a genius to figure it out. Just talk to the right folks and you can clearly see what just happened in Lincoln. Sounds to me like the AD's motives ought to be checked out. He's putting his personal issues with a guy he can't control before the good of the school and the good of the program. AD - 1...Lincoln football - 0.  And that's the truth.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: catinthehat on June 09, 2015, 03:42:51 am

I don't think the school board has to approve such "reassignments"...however, pretty sure the super would be a part of that decision. It's the AD's call in most schools where that happens. But Lincoln's AD has been working on this for a while. Still, meyers will be missed by a lot of folks. The move to can Bounds as the OC last year was a good idea. Davenport figured out that the AD calling the football shots was a bad idea. I hope Harrison does well, but he's in a bad situation at Lincoln, unless he just likes taking orders. Best advice for him is -- don't rock the boat. Tiger Dad has said several times on this post that Meyers ought not bash his "boss" publicly. I think he just has a beef with Meyers...for some reason. I also heard that Meyers PUBLICLY expresses his disappointment that the track is still a joke, 4 years after it was started. And ask some of the players what kind of locker room/bathroom facilities are available during halftime for them. I guess the fact that Meyers expects INDOOR PLUMBING is out of line? SHHHHH, Coach Meyers. Someone might hear you "bash" your boss when you express your dissatisfaction with the 4 year fieldhouse project that is nowhere near completion.  Come on, that's somebody's fault. I mean, is Coach Meyers the only person in Lincoln with standards and high expectations? Maybe the Lincoln parents ought be the ones kicking up a fuss on behalf of their kids to have a "pot to pee in" and not leaving it to Coach Meyers. Because you see what that got him. Lincoln parents are satisfied with crap facilities. I don't think Meyers is OK with that. I agree with Whistler, though. He'll be missed. At least the AD learned something from last year.  He unwisely tried to involve Davenport in Meyers' demise, thinking he could "bash" Meyers and it would go unnoticed. But it backfired when Davenport got to know Meyers and realized that he was a great coach and a good guy. Brutally honest, but good guy. That's all I've ever seen, too. Even though the AD tried to tell Davenport something different. Well, Davenport...now you gotta go! This time AD took no chances that Harrison might actually like and respect Meyers, too. Got rid of Meyers quickly before they could form a mutual respect for each other. It's not like you have to be a genius to figure it out. Just talk to the right folks and you can clearly see what just happened in Lincoln. Sounds to me like the AD's motives ought to be checked out. He's putting his personal issues with a guy he can't control before the good of the school and the good of the program. AD - 1...Lincoln football - 0.  And that's the truth.

That seems to be a pretty harsh outlook of your AD....I don't know anything about Lincoln.....But  Are you positive that the Superintendent or school board isn't the one controlling or giving the AD orders?    It can happen.    I understand your upset....and "if" that is true are you just wanting that side to be heard now that Meyers is gone or are you trying to possibly warn your new coach.....Coach Harrison?    Are you afraid of the same fate?     I don't see how really chastising your school and not giving Coach Harrison a chance is helpful to the program either?    Hopefully, the kids and parents will get behind your new coach and give him a fair chance.    It could be a great move and knowing Coach Harrison's record at other schools....I think personally he will do wonders for Lincoln.   

4AWhistler

The huge nice looking building next to Lincoln's field is the unfinished field house that has so many players and parents scratching their heads.  Completion of that facility would be an asset to the football program when people are relocating to NWA and choosing a place to settle.  I've never gotten a straight answer on why it's not finished. The players have to be bussed to games from the old field house and then go to halftime behind the bus they came over in.  It is a sore subject, and I agree it's time for more than just school staff to stand up and complain.

Players and parents both are excited about Harrison, and he has everyone's support.  The first summer camp was a success and productive.

catinthehat

Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 09, 2015, 05:05:17 am
Quote from: catinthehat on June 09, 2015, 03:42:51 am

That seems to be a pretty harsh outlook of your AD....I don't know anything about Lincoln.....But  Are you positive that the Superintendent or school board isn't the one controlling or giving the AD orders?    It can happen.    I understand your upset....and "if" that is true are you just wanting that side to be heard now that Meyers is gone or are you trying to possibly warn your new coach.....Coach Harrison?    Are you afraid of the same fate?     I don't see how really chastising your school and not giving Coach Harrison a chance is helpful to the program either?    Hopefully, the kids and parents will get behind your new coach and give him a fair chance.    It could be a great move and knowing Coach Harrison's record at other schools....I think personally he will do wonders for Lincoln.

I think Harrison could do wonders for Lincoln. No doubt after reading all the great things about him. I'm sure he's a pretty smart guy. I just hope he's smart enough to keep all the right people happy. Oh, I agree that it could be coming from any board member, etc... I'm just saying that it doesn't require board approval from a technical standpoint. I said earlier that I'm sure the super would have to be on board. I don't think the super, Ms. Spears, probably initiated it. I don't think she'd care that much either way. I don't want to be harsh. Just that when a person loses his or her coaching job, that's petty serious.  What were the underlying reasons for Meyers' dismissal in the first place?

catinthehat

Quote from: 4AWhistler on June 09, 2015, 08:19:11 am
The huge nice looking building next to Lincoln's field is the unfinished field house that has so many players and parents scratching their heads.  Completion of that facility would be an asset to the football program when people are relocating to NWA and choosing a place to settle.  I've never gotten a straight answer on why it's not finished. The players have to be bussed to games from the old field house and then go to halftime behind the bus they came over in.  It is a sore subject, and I agree it's time for more than just school staff to stand up and complain.

Players and parents both are excited about Harrison, and he has everyone's support.  The first summer camp was a success and productive.

Totally agree, Whistler! Totally agree. I think the Lincoln kids deserve more.

cuckoobird

Maybe there isn't enough money in NWA to finish it

PrivateLesson

Maybe they will want to finish it now.   

JC Guy

I would like to make a sugestion to the people in the Lincln district. If the super, board or ad are derailing this new coach ( removing Myers ) then unit and stand together for change. Coaches need to coach AD's need to supply the coaches with resources. I have just read all the way throug this thread and from the outside looking in you guys will never get what you want infighting. This coach sounds like a great hire and it sounds like he is starting over with fundamentals first. I read where some one post moms and dads aren't that important in the schem of things and I will tell you you are wrong. That person had some truth in the statement but I don't think they really understand (you make sure they go to practice, weight room and all things football but you instill in them to put out 100% in everything they do). I see people dogging on this program and if everyone comes together ( kids, coaches, administration and community) the only thing that can happen is things get better. It sounds like this coach is getting player out that had not been out or had quit so he is doing good things already. As a community you do have the power to make change. The road you guys are on will not be easy but if and when you all come together my bet is you suprise some people. I have been in a similar situation in south Arkansas and I had to get out of it because I didn't want my kids thinking it was ok to give less than 100% and make excuses ( my Jr High and High School coaches had a big part of making me the man I am today). No matter how many games this coach wins to start out with you will be able to see if he is making a difference by the effort the kids put in. JOMO

cuckoobird

Quote from: JC Guy on June 09, 2015, 05:00:14 pm
I would like to make a sugestion to the people in the Lincln district. If the super, board or ad are derailing this new coach ( removing Myers ) then unit and stand together for change. Coaches need to coach AD's need to supply the coaches with resources. I have just read all the way throug this thread and from the outside looking in you guys will never get what you want infighting. This coach sounds like a great hire and it sounds like he is starting over with fundamentals first. I read where some one post moms and dads aren't that important in the schem of things and I will tell you you are wrong. That person had some truth in the statement but I don't think they really understand (you make sure they go to practice, weight room and all things football but you instill in them to put out 100% in everything they do). I see people dogging on this program and if everyone comes together ( kids, coaches, administration and community) the only thing that can happen is things get better. It sounds like this coach is getting player out that had not been out or had quit so he is doing good things already. As a community you do have the power to make change. The road you guys are on will not be easy but if and when you all come together my bet is you suprise some people. I have been in a similar situation in south Arkansas and I had to get out of it because I didn't want my kids thinking it was ok to give less than 100% and make excuses ( my Jr High and High School coaches had a big part of making me the man I am today). No matter how many games this coach wins to start out with you will be able to see if he is making a difference by the effort the kids put in. JOMO
Not another road to success....

JC Guy

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 09, 2015, 07:01:31 pm
Quote from: JC Guy on June 09, 2015, 05:00:14 pm
Not another road to success....
The moral to the the story is stop talking about it and do something about it. And yes they can find success!

TIGER101

June 10, 2015, 10:07:40 am #266 Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:12:12 am by TIGER101
Quote from: catinthehat on June 09, 2015, 09:07:17 am
Quote from: 4AWhistler on June 09, 2015, 08:19:11 am

Totally agree, Whistler! Totally agree. I think the Lincoln kids deserve more.

This is someone looking at it from the outside looking in.  There is a reason it is not being completed.  My guess and most logical would be funding.  Lincoln went way over budget just to build the new school, basketball, and football facilities.
      (school comes first in being completed, then athletics.  looks like basketball before football in Lincoln. I have never been in the new gym but i hear it is nice.  The AD is a basketball guy) 
The other thing I see, in the past 10 to 15 years in Lincoln has been parents donate not only a lot of money but also time and other things.  Now that their kids are graduated and gone it looks like some others will have to step up in both categories.  I do not know the landscape of the kids coming up for Lincoln, but the only way to be successful Lincoln will need more of the same thing.  I am not saying you need a bunch of money people running things but we all know that money or hard work is what get things done, and that's just a fact of life.

doober3

When the mileage was passed by voters back in 2009 or 10 to build the new HS, there was much fanfare about what was going to be built.  One of the things, as I recall, was a "Safe Room" for the community to use.  Others included new Baseball and Softball fields, a new field house, and track. 
I know that the field house has had some problems with the floor and it's been jack hammered at least once.  I don't think it will be available this year either.  The track has never been right and the baseball and softball fields never even got started.  I understand that there may have been some cost overruns with the HS and Gym, but that money had to have gone somewhere.  It looks like the people of Lincoln were sold a bill of goods and not much was delivered.  There should be an investigation into where all that money went.

Lincoln's Mileage is 53.70, there are only two local districts that have a higher mileage.  They are Elkins (55.20) and Fayetteville (56.65).  Lincoln's mileage is higher than Farmington, Prairie Grove, Springdale, and West Fork (just to name a few).  Lincoln's facilities should certainly be better than they are with that high of a mileage.

TIGER101

doober, we all know for a fact that the cost to build the school and gym was much higher than expected, it was on the news.  It also is know to everyone about the issues with the work that some of the contractors did.  (very Poor)  I can only imagine that is why things didn't get completed and others started. 
JMO, Lincoln already had a very nice baseball, softball field.  And their football field was in great shape.  Other than wanting to get it next to the high school there were no reason to move any of the three.  If they would have taken the money that was spent on the new football field and field house, made improvements on the others they would be in great shape.

cuckoobird

So, in a nutshell, NWA contractors are as bad as NWA Football and baseball

TIGER101

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 10, 2015, 12:50:55 pm

LOL, no they came from LR and I am sure the project manager was from Stutgartt, because he was clueless in what he was doing!!!!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: TIGER101 on June 10, 2015, 01:29:38 pm

LOL, no they came from LR and I am sure the project manager was from Stutgartt, because he was clueless in what he was doing!!!!

So the contractors got all the money and only completed about half of the project?

Hmmmm, sounds like they weren't the ones who were clueless.

TIGER101

Sugartown thats how Stutt is getting all those upgrades.  Should send shout out to the Lincoln tax payers........

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: TIGER101 on June 10, 2015, 01:42:10 pm
Sugartown thats how Stutt is getting all those upgrades.  Should send shout out to the Lincoln tax payers........

"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum  :D

cuckoobird

Naw, we have money down here

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 10, 2015, 01:49:22 pm
Naw, we have money down here

This is true, the majority of the $$$ for the new turf and track was donated.

beach bum

I didn't know they play baseball at all in East Arkansas?

cuckoobird

Quote from: beach bum on June 10, 2015, 02:03:38 pm

I didn't know they play baseball at all in East Arkansas?
Oh yeah, we have a field and everything

doober3

Quote from: TIGER101 on June 10, 2015, 12:48:40 pm
doober, we all know for a fact that the cost to build the school and gym was much higher than expected, it was on the news.  It also is know to everyone about the issues with the work that some of the contractors did.  (very Poor)  I can only imagine that is why things didn't get completed and others started. 
JMO, Lincoln already had a very nice baseball, softball field.  And their football field was in great shape.  Other than wanting to get it next to the high school there were no reason to move any of the three.  If they would have taken the money that was spent on the new football field and field house, made improvements on the others they would be in great shape.

I absolutely agree that there were cost overruns and very poor craftsmanship. My complaint would have been where is the leadership?  If the project is over budget and a good percentage of the original bid is now not going to be completed, then where is the law suit?  Where is the money?  That contractor needs to eat it, not the tax payers.  Outside of the gym, the whole thing is a steaming pile of dung. 

4AWhistler

I don't think the track will ever get used for more than practice.  The starting line of the 110 is too close to the concession stand to meet guidelines.  I was told the subcontractor had never built a football stadium or track before the one in Lincoln.
Harris and football team spent the summer picking up rocks, digging trenches for the sprinkler system, and installing it.

The floor of the field house was torn out after the subcontractors of NABHOLZ tried pouring concrete when it was too hot, I think.

The gym floor had to be fixed after workers turned the water on to the gym and didn't make sure there weren't any problems before leaving for the night, I've heard.

And it's correct that many parents and local businesses donated time and money to get many things finished.  So much so, that I think the AD can't ask for any more favors.

The group that graduated last year had to have brought more money from the gate and concession stand sales than has ever been made by Lincoln's athletic program.  For 5 years, the football, basketball, and baseball stands were packed.  That money apparently didn't go toward paying for the completion of unfinished projects.

JC Guy

Quote from: doober3 on June 10, 2015, 02:43:18 pm
Quote from: TIGER101 on June 10, 2015, 12:48:40 pm
[/quote

I absolutely agree that there were cost overruns and very poor craftsmanship. My complaint would have been where is the leadership?  If the project is over budget and a good percentage of the original bid is now not going to be completed, then where is the law suit?  Where is the money?  That contractor needs to eat it, not the tax payers.  Outside of the gym, the whole thing is a steaming pile of dung.
I am with doober get the lawyers going.

TIGER101

If these mistakes had been made at Bentonville, Springdale or Fayetteville I will guarantee you they would be getting taken care of by the GC.

catinthehat

The problem with the Lincoln Schools is that when questions are raised about a lot of these issues the people who do the questioning get punished for bucking the administration, or "bashing their boss in public." Nobody wants to be held accountable. I know that Meyers was relieved of his track coaching position as well as football and he had the most successful - only successful - track program that Lincoln has ever seen. They never even really had much of a program...I don't think; I'm not 100% sure. But Meyers came from a 6A successful track program that won numerous state championships and he knows a great deal about track and running off meets. So why fire him? Another good question, I guess. I think he's a thorn in their side because he says what needs to be said. Absolutely clueless as to why in the world you would take him out of track since track is the only sport where several Lincoln athletes have won state championships, qualified for state meets and have qualified for the Meet of Champs. If I were the parent of a track kid, I'd be a bit po'ed. But he got somebody's panties in a wad over there when he suggested that they were making some serious mistakes when building the track if they ever aspired to actually host a track meet. What they have now is an expensive, but useless, asphalt border around the field. Great for the ladies who want to go for an evening walk! But not up to code for a track meet. I've said many times that the leadership in Lincoln is lacking. The AD likes to talk, but he has a "hearing problem" when it comes to listening to people who know more than him. Maybe they will get the track fixed and get the fieldhouse done so the boys won't have to take a leak outside behind the unfinished building. I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again: Those Lincoln kids & parents deserve much more.

4AWhistler

Quote from: catinthehat on June 11, 2015, 01:06:55 am
The problem with the Lincoln Schools is that when questions are raised about a lot of these issues the people who do the questioning get punished for bucking the administration, or "bashing their boss in public." Nobody wants to be held accountable. I know that Meyers was relieved of his track coaching position as well as football and he had the most successful - only successful - track program that Lincoln has ever seen. They never even really had much of a program...I don't think; I'm not 100% sure. But Meyers came from a 6A successful track program that won numerous state championships and he knows a great deal about track and running off meets. So why fire him? Another good question, I guess. I think he's a thorn in their side because he says what needs to be said. Absolutely clueless as to why in the world you would take him out of track since track is the only sport where several Lincoln athletes have won state championships, qualified for state meets and have qualified for the Meet of Champs. If I were the parent of a track kid, I'd be a bit po'ed. But he got somebody's panties in a wad over there when he suggested that they were making some serious mistakes when building the track if they ever aspired to actually host a track meet. What they have now is an expensive, but useless, asphalt border around the field. Great for the ladies who want to go for an evening walk! But not up to code for a track meet. I've said many times that the leadership in Lincoln is lacking. The AD likes to talk, but he has a "hearing problem" when it comes to listening to people who know more than him. Maybe they will get the track fixed and get the fieldhouse done so the boys won't have to take a leak outside behind the unfinished building. I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again: Those Lincoln kids & parents deserve much more.
Well said!

doober3

Quote from: 4AWhistler on June 11, 2015, 06:52:58 am
Well said!
Agreed!  Very Well Said. 

Sweetfeet

The track program was awesome back when I was in school there.  I was po'ed when they reallocated the budget from the track to the gym, that probably has no relation to the AD being a basketball guy.  Letting Meyers go was definitely a bad move for the track program and for the football program, but it's well known that some people can't take criticism from within the school.  Oh well, all of my family ties to that town have graduated and I wish the best for the people that actually try to benefit the school and the students instead of their personal agenda. 

catinthehat

Do you know who is replacing Coach Meyers as the head track coach? I wonder if Coach Rich will continue to be the assistant. Who on the staff has any experience? I thought Rich might take over as the head coach. Meyers developed a pretty legit program. A lot of schools don't care about track and just round up a bunch of football players and cart them over to a meet. They just take advantage of some athleticism. That's not a program. But it is better than nothing I guess!

Leroy88

Quote from: catinthehat on July 29, 2015, 11:38:31 pm
Do you know who is replacing Coach Meyers as the head track coach? I wonder if Coach Rich will continue to be the assistant. Who on the staff has any experience? I thought Rich might take over as the head coach. Meyers developed a pretty legit program. A lot of schools don't care about track and just round up a bunch of football players and cart them over to a meet. They just take advantage of some athleticism. That's not a program. But it is better than nothing I guess!

New offensive coordinator, Tyler Dorton from Greene County Tech will be taking over as head track coach. Coach Rich as far as I know will still be the assistant coach.

4AWhistler

First night practice with every new coach in place is tonight.

beach bum

August 06, 2015, 12:14:46 pm #289 Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:16:59 pm by beach bum
The non conference slate will be a definitive indicator of whether Lincoln is capable of making the playoffs this coming season. Keys is a bad team in a bad Oklahoma conference so you have to beat them. Westville is in that same conference and historically awful although last year they won a lot of close games and finished 8-3 for a good season. You should beat them still if you are going to be a 1-4A playoff team. And if Lincoln has Cedarville play them close or lose it could end up being a rough year for the Wolves...... if Lincoln cruises to a 3-0 start then we should see them come playoff time finishing with a winning record. All teams are like this in a sense, but you will know before conference play even begins whether Lincoln will make the playoffs or not.

Okieback

beach bum

Quote from: Okieback on August 08, 2015, 12:47:29 pm
1-2

If they can't beat Keys and Cedarville they are in serious trouble.... Westville is not very good either. I hope 1-2 does not happen for their sake.

whippersnapper

4AWhistler

beach bum

Quote from: whippersnapper on August 15, 2015, 12:38:25 am
Here is the channel 5 news preview of the team.
http://5newsonline.com/2015/08/14/players-and-coaches-rebuild-in-lincoln/

I saw that as well... 5 news is doing a good job of giving the smaller schools some good publicity.

Sweetfeet

371 points scored on the defense (33-34 per game), I'd say it was a bad decision.  The head coach seems to be doing go and the offense seems explosive.

catinthehat

Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 03, 2015, 07:10:05 pm
From what I've heard around town the whole year, people felt Davenport just didn't fit in.  He didn't try to become part of the community.  He didn't move out this way, didn't go into town any further than the school and field, never attended any community events in town, and just didn't get to know people.  All the farmers that gather every morning to drink coffee and shoot the bull would've been thrilled to see him put in an appearance once in a while.  Small things like that go a long way.  When I first met him and tried to engage him in conversation, I came away with the impression that he didn't want to visit or become friendly.  Now he could very well have been overwhelmed after just having his first meet and greet, but I wasn't impressed.

I guess I may have an outdated notion that in a small town, people wanna see a coach move into town, put his kids in school there, let his kids play tball with yours, be seen out and about, and put down roots so he has a vested interest in the community.  Now I know high school coaches don't put down deep roots since there's always the potential that things might not work out or that doing well would lead them to bigger and better things.

This is only my opinion, and wouldn't want anyone to assume that it's the opinion of everyone in Lincoln.  Just thought I'd give my perspective of the situation for what it's worth.

How funny. Davenport gets the boot at Lincoln...after one year...not good enough for them. I guess he "fit in" well enough at Fayetteville to coach the "O" Line right to a 7A State Championship. Gee, I hate it for him!! He! He!

DerekOxford

Quote from: catinthehat on December 09, 2015, 01:25:52 pm
Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 03, 2015, 07:10:05 pm
From what I've heard around town the whole year, people felt Davenport just didn't fit in.  He didn't try to become part of the community.  He didn't move out this way, didn't go into town any further than the school and field, never attended any community events in town, and just didn't get to know people.  All the farmers that gather every morning to drink coffee and shoot the bull would've been thrilled to see him put in an appearance once in a while.  Small things like that go a long way.  When I first met him and tried to engage him in conversation, I came away with the impression that he didn't want to visit or become friendly.  Now he could very well have been overwhelmed after just having his first meet and greet, but I wasn't impressed.

I guess I may have an outdated notion that in a small town, people wanna see a coach move into town, put his kids in school there, let his kids play tball with yours, be seen out and about, and put down roots so he has a vested interest in the community.  Now I know high school coaches don't put down deep roots since there's always the potential that things might not work out or that doing well would lead them to bigger and better things.

This is only my opinion, and wouldn't want anyone to assume that it's the opinion of everyone in Lincoln.  Just thought I'd give my perspective of the situation for what it's worth.

How funny. Davenport gets the boot at Lincoln...after one year...not good enough for them. I guess he "fit in" well enough at Fayetteville to coach the "O" Line right to a 7A State Championship. Gee, I hate it for him!! He! He!

He doesn't coach the offensive line. He coaches tight ends. Benji Mahan is the OL coach.

beach bum

December 09, 2015, 01:40:36 pm #298 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:51:10 pm by beach bum
Since when did a TE coach or OL coach become the difference in when a school wins a state title or not?? Especially when Fayetteville has every resource in the book financially, athletically, and academically to succeed. Fayetteville is playing a game all of their own they can't lose. I have more respect any day for a coach that goes to a place without resources and says I give my all to change this and if I fail after 5 or 6 years oh well I laid it all on the line the best I could. Look at Abshier at PG. I have heard him before that he said he was stubborn enough to believe in the early 90's when PG was absolutely a laughing stock that he would not leave until he turned it around or they told him to get out. 99% of coaches could succeed with Fayetteville's resources. I have respect for the people hard nosed enough to give tough places their all whether it pans out or not. Even if a coach lost a bunch of games at a tough place that is not a loser in my book. I like risk takers! I am not dogging these schools but someone has to take over schools like Berryville, Decatur, Drew Central, Waldron, etc when schools like that come open....... hats off to those guys IMO!!

Tigerdad

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas