• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Started by True Believer, January 22, 2014, 06:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: birdman16 on November 20, 2014, 11:31:01 am
So you ride the shirt tails of the SEC to justify losing?

Pretty sure playing in the SEC isn't riding a coat tail. That's true competing in the sec.

Texas state community college commerce is a legit team, right?

birdman16

What has Arkansas football brought to the SEC. A solid 6-6 or 7-5 record. A step above Vandy and Kentucky? That's the place everybody in the nation would die to be in.

Arkansas State lost a conference game tonight something the piggies should be used to. Conference play is always tough.

Moonshiner

I'd say on average we've been middle of the road in the conference.  I'd say we've finished higher than Vandy, Kentucky  both Mississippi schools, at times South Carolina.  Been to the title game a few times, was ranked number 3 in the country once and even went to a BCS bowl game.  Not a perennial SEC powerhouse but , with the exception of the post Bobby P. era, we've held our own. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 08:36:16 am
I'd say on average we've been middle of the road in the conference.  I'd say we've finished higher than Vandy, Kentucky  both Mississippi schools, at times South Carolina.  Been to the title game a few times, was ranked number 3 in the country once and even went to a BCS bowl game.  Not a perennial SEC powerhouse but , with the exception of the post Bobby P. era, we've held our own. 

Yup.

All the while ASU is in "tough conference play" with texas state commerce community college last night and loses.

bleudog

November 21, 2014, 09:41:58 am #104 Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:49:12 am by bleudog
Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 08:36:16 am
I'd say on average we've been middle of the road in the conference.  I'd say we've finished higher than Vandy, Kentucky  both Mississippi schools, at times South Carolina. Been to the title game a few times, was ranked number 3 in the country once and even went to a BCS bowl game.  Not a perennial SEC powerhouse but , with the exception of the post Bobby P. era, we've held our own. 

Appearances         School     Wins     Losses       PCT.
10                       Florida       7           3           .700
   8                      Alabama     4           4           .500
   5                      LSU            4           1           .800
   5                     Auburn         3          2           .600
   5                     Georgia        2          3           .400
   5                     Tennessee    2          3           .400
  3                     Arkansas      0          3           .000
   1                     Miss St         0          1           .000
   1                     Missouri       0           1           .000 (Missouri's 2nd year in the SEC)
   1                     S Carolina    0           1          .000

Kentucky, Ole Miss, Texas A&M (joined in 2012?), and Vanderbilt have yet to make an appearance in an SEC Championship Game

Arkansas' three appearances:
1995          #2 Florida        34                  #23 Arkansas    3
2002          #4 Georgia       30                 #22 Arkansas     3
2006          #4 Florida        38                   #8 Arkansas    28

Runner up's bowl performance:
1995    #24 Arkansas    L 10–20   North Carolina     ACC       1995 Carquest Bowl
2002    #25 Arkansas    L 14–29   Minnesota           Big Ten   2002 Music City Bowl
2006    #12 Arkansas    L 14–17   #6 Wisconsin      Big Ten   2007 Capital One Bowl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Championship_Game

Moonshiner

A lot of Top 5, Top 10, even Top 20 teams on that list.  A lot of them are on our schedule week after week.  We may not be that great right now, but we will come back.  We are competing at least.  True we could have a great conference record if we played Austin Peay and  the Appalachian Snowmen. 

bleudog

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 09:53:22 am
A lot of Top 5, Top 10, even Top 20 teams on that list.  A lot of them are on our schedule week after week.  We may not be that great right now, but we will come back.  We are competing at least.  True we could have a great conference record if we played Austin Peay and  the Appalachian Snowmen. 

Being in the same division as Alabama, Auburn and LSU doesn't make getting to the SEC Championship easy most years.  It does make the money good though.

AirWarren

Quote from: bleudog on November 21, 2014, 10:03:47 am
Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 09:53:22 am

Being in the same division as Alabama, Auburn and LSU doesn't make getting to the SEC Championship easy most years.  It does make the money good though.

If the hogs play in the sun belt, we win 10 every year. Probably more.

dc24

Conference games are usually tough to win no matter what.  Texas State is 6-5 and a solid team.  I knew it would be a tough game with all the guys we've got hurt.

bleudog

November 21, 2014, 01:22:30 pm #109 Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:48:01 pm by bleudog
Quote from: AirWarren on November 21, 2014, 12:18:20 pm
If the hogs play in the sun belt, we win 10 every year. Probably more.

I would think so.

With current P5 revenue, that'd only be about $10 million per football win.    :o

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

But if the Hogs were to play in the Sunbelt, that P5 money goes away.  ;)

birdman16

They may need to look into that so they can win some conference games...majority of the wins come from G5 lately.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: birdman16 on November 21, 2014, 05:08:33 pm
They may need to look into that so they can win some conference games...majority of the wins come from G5 lately.

Can't say that one game against Nicholls State constitutes a majority.

birdman16

So UAB and NIU don't fall under that category. Guess I missed where they joined the SEC and Big 10.

AirWarren

Nicholls, UAB, Texas state commerce. All the same.

WPWells

Has stAte beaten anyone from a Power 5 conference? Arkansas has beaten 2

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: birdman16 on November 21, 2014, 05:35:21 pm
So UAB and NIU don't fall under that category.

Two programs that would bulldoze ASU.

birdman16

ASU sucks, got it. I wouldn't want y'all  to develop carpal tunnel from typing it over and over again. 

I wanted to discuss the sad thing known as Arkansas football but that topic keeps being diverted to ASU. Obviously y'all want to talk about the piggies, this thread has been derailed enough as it is.

AirWarren

WPWells

AirWarren

He needs to befriend the leaders of the local ff NAACP chapter.

WPWells

My roommate just came in to check and make sure everything was okay because I was laughing so hard at that post

birdman16

It can be difficult to read in context on a forum. There was no anger at all in that just sarcasm. I know this is just a place to have fun. Nothing said on here bothers me to where I can't sleep at night.

dc24

It makes them feel better to type that A-State sucks so they don't have to think about being the SEC West's whipping boy year in and year out.

Moonshiner

I don't think ASU sucks.  I've always supported ASU and still pull for them every time they play.  Just get tired of the fans thinking they could compete better in the SEC or "stomp" Arkansas.  It's not gonna happen. 

AirWarren

Quote from: dc24 on November 22, 2014, 02:07:44 am
It makes them feel better to type that A-State sucks so they don't have to think about being the SEC West's whipping boy year in and year out.

Whipping boy? You guys just got beat by Texas state. We just beat LSU. And play another top 10 today.

WPWells

birdman16

Whipping boy sounds about right they did play 17 other conference games before the LSU win.

WPWells

Moonshiner

AirWarren

dc24

November 22, 2014, 04:28:09 pm #130 Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:31:03 pm by dc24
Quote from: AirWarren on November 22, 2014, 09:06:26 am

Whipping boy? You guys just got beat by Texas state. We just beat LSU. And play another top 10 today.

Congrats, 1-17 or so now?  You guys are beating Ole Miss today too.  Maybe they aren't as good as everyone thought.  Their starting quarterback is someone who was third string at A-State though so that's good.

Just need to remind you that A-State has a guy from Warren on the team now and two more joining next year.

dc24

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 22, 2014, 08:21:46 am
I don't think ASU sucks.  I've always supported ASU and still pull for them every time they play.  Just get tired of the fans thinking they could compete better in the SEC or "stomp" Arkansas.  It's not gonna happen. 

Tell me who has said that?  You guys take any positive thing about A-State as a shot at Arkansas.  I haven't seen anyone on here claiming we could beat Arkansas or would be better in the SEC than them.  And if someone did, well every fan base has their crazies.  The last few years I think we could have given you guys a game, maybe even beat you once, but no one will ever know.  I've never used the word stomped though, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Uncle Ivan

Wonder what Myron Anderson's doing these days.

AirWarren

Quote from: dc24 on November 22, 2014, 04:28:09 pm

Congrats, 1-17 or so now?  You guys are beating Ole Miss today too.  Maybe they aren't as good as everyone thought.  Their starting quarterback is someone who was third string at A-State though so that's good.

Just need to remind you that A-State has a guy from Warren on the team now and two more joining next year.

Come on DC. Lighten up. No one really cares about what asu does we just like given a hard time. And for the warren guys, ill always support them at asu.

Now the sec whipping boys is foolish. Now with JLS, yeah. But Arkansas has always been competitive. It's just not easy to win it all when you have bama and LSU in your division.

dc24

Quote from: AirWarren on November 22, 2014, 05:58:30 pm
Quote from: dc24 on November 22, 2014, 04:28:09 pm

Come on DC. Lighten up. No one really cares about what asu does we just like given a hard time. And for the warren guys, ill always support them at asu.

Now the sec whipping boys is foolish. Now with JLS, yeah. But Arkansas has always been competitive. It's just not easy to win it all when you have bama and LSU in your division.

For someone, and this is directed at a lot of people on here, that doesn't care you sure do take every chance to get a shot in that you can.

Never said it was easy or should be.  It's the toughest conference in football and only got tougher with Texas A&M, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State being good.  Arkansas is heading in the right direction, but it'll still take some time.  I'm not sure Ole Miss and Mississippi State will sustain their success though and I just don't think LSU is very good and will ever be really, really good again with Les at the helm.  Alabama and Auburn will be there though and I'm not sure what to think about A&M.

I think what it comes down to is that I don't like Arkansas and honestly I never had a problem with them until I got on here and that opened my eyes to plenty more.  That being said, I've always respected Arkansas.  Admittedly, before the past few years A-State had down little at the FBS (Division 1-A) level to warrant much respect, but what we've done the past four years is something I didn't know I'd ever see at Arkansas State and I think it deserves a little respect, especially from within the state, and I think it has gotten some for the most part.

AirWarren

Come on. Would you rather take a little ribbing from a fellow Warrenites/Arkansan than a big mouth Stuttgart girl, ha.

Moonshiner

Quote from: dc24 on November 22, 2014, 04:29:57 pm

Tell me who has said that?  You guys take any positive thing about A-State as a shot at Arkansas.  I haven't seen anyone on here claiming we could beat Arkansas or would be better in the SEC than them.  And if someone did, well every fan base has their crazies.  The last few years I think we could have given you guys a game, maybe even beat you once, but no one will ever know.  I've never used the word stomped though, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Never said anyone on here said those things.  Some people I know who are ASU faithful have said that, and plenty more.  And I know they visit this site.  I have a degree from ASU and do respect what they've been able to do as of late.  But some of your fans are trying to make me not like them. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on November 22, 2014, 06:09:58 pm
Come on. Would you rather take a little ribbing from a fellow Warrenites/Arkansan than a big mouth Stuttgart girl, ha.

From the ones I know, it appears all Stuttgart girls have big mouths.

AirWarren

All people from that stupid town run their mouth too much. My man Dc needs to stiffin up some ha.

dc24

Quote from: AirWarren on November 22, 2014, 06:09:58 pm

Honestly, I've stopped reading all the Stuttgart people's stuff on the 4A board.  Every one of them has it out for Warren, not sure if it's jealousy or what, but I just don't even care about them anymore haha.

dc24

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 22, 2014, 06:12:44 pm

Never said anyone on here said those things.  Some people I know who are ASU faithful have said that, and plenty more.  And I know they visit this site.  I have a degree from ASU and do respect what they've been able to do as of late.  But some of your fans are trying to make me not like them. 

Every fan base has their crazies.  I know there are some Arkansas fans that thought they had a shot at the national championship this year.  There are probably some Raider fans who still think they can win the Super Bowl.  If you take what every fan base's crazies say seriously then you're not going to like ANY team at any level of competition.  All the way from pro ball to pee wee ball.

Moonshiner

Quote from: dc24 on November 23, 2014, 12:22:54 am
Quote from: Moonshiner on November 22, 2014, 06:12:44 pm

Every fan base has their crazies.  I know there are some Arkansas fans that thought they had a shot at the national championship this year.  There are probably some Raider fans who still think they can win the Super Bowl.  If you take what every fan base's crazies say seriously then you're not going to like ANY team at any level of competition.  All the way from pro ball to pee wee ball.

Agreed

True Believer

LOL...  they have won 2 games now and it's back to the "We #1 in the world!" posts..haha.

Hope the Red Wolves do a better job!   While I think Coach is doing a good job, I think they have lost focus. 

Love the Red Wolves!!

bleudog

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on November 26, 2014, 11:05:31 am
Sat Nov 29.  Starts at 2:00 in Jonesboro.  I have 30 free tickets if anyone is interested in going.  I didn't know where to put this so if you want Mods you can move it. 

Donnie Jamon

Let me know guys.  I have them at my work.  You can PM me.

Moonshiner

Quote from: True Believer on November 23, 2014, 05:00:51 pm

LOL...  they have won 2 games now and it's back to the "We #1 in the world!" posts..haha.

Hope the Red Wolves do a better job!   While I think Coach is doing a good job, I think they have lost focus. 

Love the Red Wolves!!

#1 in the world?  No way.  #1 in the State?  Naturally.
But I do Love the Red Wolves too

fastdrop

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 26, 2014, 06:00:28 pm
Quote from: True Believer on November 23, 2014, 05:00:51 pm

Love the Red Wolves!!

#1 in the world?  No way.  #1 in the State?  Naturally.
But I do Love the Red Wolves too
It would be nice if it was decided on the field instead of your say so.

Moonshiner

Hey I agree 100%.  Maybe a bowl game.  I'm for it

True Believer

4th straight for Arkansas State.

Go Daddy Bowl again.

Good going coaches and players.   Hope the coach stays......lol!!!!

Uncle Ivan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas