• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Round 1 Boys

Started by Yak, March 07, 2015, 09:20:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Yak

Same as the girls. Anything can happen in HS basketball. Thoughts and comments on the first round of the AA boys tournament.

St Joseph vs Marked Tree-St Joseph is a very "hot" team. They have hit 3's when needed, worked it inside when they had too, and made their fair share of lay ups off steals. Well rounded team. Marked Tree battled in their region, but it may be one of the tougher regions/districts in the State, unlike JC where they just dominate their area. Going with CSt Joseph by 10, as they nail many free throws at the end.
Clarendon vs Mineral Springs-Even if you have never seen Clarendon play, there is a reason they are undefeated. Returning several players from last years squad, they have been a force. They have height, speed, quickness, etc. They are a favorite to win it all. Mineral Springs, however, are "scrappy". They are one of those teams that are like a bad habit and never go away. Unfortunately, Clarendon comes across as a cure for bad habits. Clarendon by 16.
And rounding out the first day of action, JC vs Brinkley. JC appears to be on a collision course with Clarendon. JC is what many consider to be "Goliath" and they are playing Brinkley, the "David". JC, of course, has the athletes, but one must not forget, athletes are a requirement for competing in sports, but someone has to guide them and keep them headed in the right direction. Between their style of play (quick bursts and lay ups/dunks, and a half court game if need be to keep people honest), they have excelled. Brinkley has played some very tough opponents as well. Brinkley appears to be a hot or cold team. When they are on, they are very good. But when they are off or get down, they seem to lose interest or doubt themselves. I will say JC and Brinkley go neck and neck for a little while, then JC finishes off another opponent. JC by 16 as well.

Let the games begin!

Ctucker

My upset pick for the first day is MT over St Joseph.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ctucker on March 07, 2015, 09:22:20 am
My upset pick for the first day is MT over St Joseph.

I think that may just be an upset because of seed number. Lol

BoxNOne

St. Joseph's over MT by 5
Clarendon by 20 over MS
JC by 15 over Brinkley

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Ctucker, I sent you a p.m.

NEAsupporter

Can't wait to see Clarendon as well as Junction City play today. Been wanting to see both all year long.

bigworm

Quote from: NEAsupporter on March 07, 2015, 10:39:55 am
Can't wait to see Clarendon as well as Junction City play today. Been wanting to see both all year long.

Take notice of richard knox of clarendon. #24.  He does everything. He is the heart of the team. Very dynamic and explosive player.

NEAsupporter

Quote from: bigworm on March 07, 2015, 11:56:01 am
Quote from: NEAsupporter on March 07, 2015, 10:39:55 am

Take notice of richard knox of clarendon. #24.  He does everything. He is the heart of the team. Very dynamic and explosive player.
I think I remember him from last year.

NEAsupporter

Marked Tree with the win over St. Joseph. First 1 seed down. I don't see anymore 1 seeds losing their first round games though.

Neabasketball

Marked tree represents the north well!

RedWolf275

The west teams must be pretty weak. Probably looking at a 4-0 sweep by the north in first round.

WPWells

Yep West is weak in 2A

pantherfan3

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 07, 2015, 04:09:52 pm
The west teams must be pretty weak. Probably looking at a 4-0 sweep by the north in first round.
[/quote

West def not weak--St Joe is a great team and they didn't get blown out.  Seeds are just a way to slot teams...EVERY team has off days and injuries and other factors that come into play.  Being beat doesn't make a team weak and that's just a rude comment.  This board shouldn't be a place to puff up your chest if you win or beat down kids that lose...no doubt MT came from a powerhouse area and probably shouldn't have been a 4 seed so don't be negative!

RedWolf275

Lets see if this meets your approval Mr. Poster Police. The west region boys are weak compared to the north.

Dogg

Wolf  I'must agree with you.

Donnie Jamon

Not sure if the West is weak. The North is just pretty dang good this year. MT being def the weakness of the 4.  It should be a dandy of a 2 round for both sides of the bracket.

hssportfan

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 07, 2015, 06:25:01 pm
Not sure if the West is weak. The North is just pretty dang good this year. MT being def the weakness of the 4.  It should be a dandy of a 2 round for both sides of the bracket.
Maybe thee East is weak too. There mighty Lions just went down.

hogfan32

Great Win for Mineral Springs!

bigworm

Quote from: hssportfan on March 07, 2015, 07:18:30 pm
Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 07, 2015, 06:25:01 pm
Maybe thee East is weak too. There mighty Lions just went down.

may be.

hssportfan

I feel sorry for Brinkley now. Thought they may keep it close but seeing Clarendon lose..... WOW !!!

NEAsupporter

Quote from: pantherfan3 on March 07, 2015, 05:50:26 pm
[/quote

West def not weak--St Joe is a great team and they didn't get blown out.  Seeds are just a way to slot teams...EVERY team has off days and injuries and other factors that come into play.  Being beat doesn't make a team weak and that's just a rude comment.  This board shouldn't be a place to puff up your chest if you win or beat down kids that lose...no doubt MT came from a powerhouse area and probably shouldn't have been a 4 seed so don't be negative!
I'm not going to flat out call them weak because any team that makes it to state isn't weak, but out of the 4 regions in the tournament, the west is the weakest.

Dragon I

That MS team got mercy ruled by JC.  I'm still not proclaiming JC the favorites, but I do like our chances.

Donnie Jamon

You won't mercy rule EPC. That's if we beat Bigelow

Dragon I

I never said they would.  I'm not overly confident they'll beat Brinkley!  LOL!

NEAsupporter

Quote from: pantherfan3 on March 07, 2015, 05:50:26 pm
[/quote

I'm not going to flat out call them weak because any team that makes it to state isn't weak, but out of the 4 regions in the tournament, the west is the weakest.

birddawg1986

Quote from: hogfan32 on March 07, 2015, 07:21:13 pm
Was a great game between Clarendon-Mineral Springs. First time seeing Clarendon this season. From what I heard about them maybe today was just a bad day. Had several chances to win but FTs and not so smart fouls were the killer. I would say 60-70 fouls were called in this game. Had 3 of the 2-3A officials whom usually you'll see at any gym. Blow happys but Clarendon could never adjust. Congrats to both for putting on a show. Gym was ROCKING !!!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 07, 2015, 09:40:50 pm
Quote from: hogfan32 on March 07, 2015, 07:21:13 pm
Was a great game between Clarendon-Mineral Springs. First time seeing Clarendon this season. From what I heard about them maybe today was just a bad day. Had several chances to win but FTs and not so smart fouls were the killer. I would say 60-70 fouls were called in this game. Had 3 of the 2-3A officials whom usually you'll see at any gym. Blow happys but Clarendon could never adjust. Congrats to both for putting on a show. Gym was ROCKING !!!

That gym was LOUD as the game ended.

Donnie Jamon

Rd 1. JC def looked good but a friend says Brinkley would finish 7th in the 2A-3 behind Riverside and Marmaduke so couldn't tell how good JC really is. But JC did have 6 dunks in 1st q. MT looked 2nd best team and loved the heart and grit of MS

Pick_DA_EAGLES

March 07, 2015, 11:11:19 pm #28 Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:30:26 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 07, 2015, 10:22:30 pm
Rd 1. JC def looked good but a friend says Brinkley would finish 7th in the 2A-3 behind Riverside and Marmaduke so couldn't tell how good JC really is. But JC did have 6 dunks in 1st q. MT looked 2nd best team and loved the heart and grit of MS

I disagree on the MT statement, they played the least athletic team there, and nobody from st Joe's was making any shots or dribble very well, yes s.j. is well coached, but that's it. I think mineral would beat m.t.

I don't think m.t. has anyone who can control 32 from m.s. The big kid from st Joe's was wearing out the big kid from m.t. and then st Joe just stop going to him. I feel,that was a big mistake.

mr.gametime

Today was my first time watching Junction City play
...and all I can say is wow...there are very talented...and exciting.....I think there whole starting line up had a dunk before halftime... They had like 8 dunks in the first half and atleast 4 or 5 of those where alley hoops....this team is crazy athletic and has size for a 2A team..

Ctucker

I would beat there's not a more athletic team in the state of Arkansas.1-7a!

NEASPORTSFAN

Well, no one is going to beat them....so...

ISU7

Quote from: phstiger on March 08, 2015, 08:12:12 am
Well, no one is going to beat them....so...
Didnt we hear this before about another team in this tourney. You have to play the game.. 8)

Rackjack74

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 07, 2015, 11:44:26 pm
Today was my first time watching Junction City play
...and all I can say is wow...there are very talented...and exciting.....I think there whole starting line up had a dunk before halftime... They had like 8 dunks in the first half and atleast 4 or 5 of those where alley hoops....this team is crazy athletic and has size for a 2A team..

Mo kidding!  Couldn't said it better...heck, I had moments where I wondered if OKC Thunder could beat them!  Just kidding but they're the best I've seen.

BoxNOne

There are a lot of games to be played, but there is a possibility that JC will have to run the 2a-3 gauntlet of EPC,BIC and Earle if things play out that way. They will have earned that state championship if they beat those three. The BIC and Earle coaches have seven state championships between them I believe.

thabeast428

It don't matter who they play. If they win it all then they earned it lol

Ctucker

I think JC can be beat,I was just saying they diffently have best athletes I've seen,that in know way means they can't be beat. But on the other hand if there coach,was somebody like Taylor , they would not be beat.

1995fan

So far I have enjoyed the first round.  I have seen MT boys play a few games this year and I think they played o.k. The big man Carter is usually more physical and makes better shots so that was different for me.  I really thought I would see more from St. Josephs #22.  But overall it was a good game.  MT came out on top and the hopefully nerves are out and they will bring their A game Monday.

Mineral Springs definitely shocked me......but it was a refreshing shock.  I love when kids come out and play with all heart.  Clarendon has a great program and that was not an easy win.

Not surprised at Junction City.  They are just a very athletic group of kids.  I expect them to go far........championship game far!

This will be a very interesting tournament!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas