• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greers Ferry Lake Classic

Started by FromTheBench, December 25, 2018, 09:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FromTheBench

Does anyone have brackets for this?

ballmember

Starts at 10 am Thursday 8 games that day at Shirley High School;  4 on Friday at 4 pm;  2 Saturday at noon.  Sorry, have no expertise for bracket.  Boys Calico Rock 1 and Quitman 2, Concord 3 MVE 4.  Girls Greers Ferry Westside 1 and MVE 2 ??   Quitman 3 and Concord 4. 

Bergman1820

December 27, 2018, 02:07:22 am #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:06:24 am by Bergman1820

Bergman1820

December 27, 2018, 02:08:46 am #3 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:05:55 am by Bergman1820

Bergman1820

December 27, 2018, 02:11:02 am #4 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:19:41 am by Bergman1820

Weiser

December 27, 2018, 07:59:00 am #5 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:04:21 am by Weiser
Any predictions on the Greers Ferry Lake Classic, who will be moving to the next level after today's games?  Come on guys let's put our thoughts out there, have some fun and make some big predictions.
Here are mine

Boys
Calico Rock
MVE
Nemo Vista
Quitman

Girls
GFWS
Shirley
Quitman
MVE

OK give me your winners today

Flobbito

Any score updates?  Sack? Banner?

Flobbito

Bigleague

December 27, 2018, 09:17:12 pm #8 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:18:46 pm by Bigleague
Quote from: Weiser on December 27, 2018, 07:59:00 am
Any predictions on the Greers Ferry Lake Classic, who will be moving to the next level after today's games?  Come on guys let's put our thoughts out there, have some fun and make some big predictions.
Here are mine

Boys
Calico Rock
MVE
Nemo Vista
Quitman

Girls
GFWS
Shirley
Quitman
MVE

ballmember

winners girls

gfws
concord

quitman
mve

winners boys

calico rock
mve

concord
quitman

starts at 4pm on Friday

Sports Loser

December 28, 2018, 07:11:08 am #10 Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:14:52 am by Sports Loser
Quote from: Weiser on December 27, 2018, 07:59:00 am
Here are mine

Boys
Calico Rock
MVE
Nemo Vista
Quitman

Girls
GFWS
Shirley
Quitman
MVE

Been watching ICC thinking about coming over there today looks like there should be some def great ball in this tournament.  If not everyone has seen Cooper from ICC you should check him and that team out!  They can flat out play.  Looks like there will be some high ranked girls in 1A and boys games over here tonight. Since you only missed 2 games yesterday what are your predictions today and which games are the must sees Weiser?

Weiser

Today all the games should be close and good basketball.  Here are my picks

Boys
MVE
Quitman

Girls
Concord
Quitman/MVE too close to call!!!

What are your picks??

Sports Loser

December 28, 2018, 08:45:19 am #12 Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:54:39 am by Sports Loser
Quote from: Weiser on December 28, 2018, 08:29:19 am
Today all the games should be close and good basketball.  Here are my picks

Boys
MVE
Quitman

Girls
Concord
Quitman/MVE too close to call!!!

What are your picks??
Boys
MVE by 12+
Quitman 8+

Girls
WSGF 5+
MVE 18+

I've seen all these teams play once now and I think I'll be close on this. Granted Quitman has been a powerhouse in girls but those days are passed for this year.  MVE girls may be the best girls team I've seen this year.  Interesting picks in the first round you had Shirley beating Concord now you have Concord beating #1 seed WSGF. 

Weiser

Yes I did, a couple weeks back Concord beat Shirley by only 5 on Shirley home court. 
I was giving Shirley a home court with some past game knowledge.  Did not work for them but was a shot.

Sports Loser

Quote from: Weiser on December 28, 2018, 09:40:10 am
Yes I did, a couple weeks back Concord beat Shirley by only 5 on Shirley home court. 
I was giving Shirley a home court with some past game knowledge.  Did not work for them but was a shot.
Oh ok I was just confused thought you might have looked at the bracket wrong especially since you picked them to upset the #1 seed WSGF after you picked them to lose in the first round.  I thought you had prob looked at the bracket wrong or something or forgot you picked them.  I don't think they can beat WSGF just like I don't think Quitman girls can beat MVE.  I think both of these games are locks boys are toss ups Calico is here and there MVE is playing good lately.  Late game should be good in boys.

SackAttack

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 28, 2018, 09:55:26 am
Oh ok I was just confused thought you might have looked at the bracket wrong especially since you picked them to upset the #1 seed WSGF after you picked them to lose in the first round.  I thought you had prob looked at the bracket wrong or something or forgot you picked them.  I don't think they can beat WSGF just like I don't think Quitman girls can beat MVE.  I think both of these games are locks boys are toss ups Calico is here and there MVE is playing good lately.  Late game should be good in boys.
Sack sure wishes he could make it but can't and lots have changed but some things not so much! Our boys strugglein and girls who knows but Sack does cause we won't have to play Rural and all that drama if you know what I mean! Double shift today cause schools out and kids are hungary but Benny still isn't thought sure we'd see him over Christmas but nope we ain't yet! Y'all all play some good hoops games too close to call! Biggest regret is not getting to hear Vlad yell backside backside 8300 times! Sack thinks he might need to see a Dr! And Bludgener too if that head continues to enlarge! Belt Buckle well he's toned it down some with the boot polish and somewhat smaller belt line decor!! Crommett be mad if they don't play Purple Rain for runout music but they playin at The Stump cause they cut the Tree down! Get it Stump and cut the Tree down! Most wont but wish they could!

Weiser

WS over Concord in Girls
MVE over CR in Boys

riccoar

Westside Girls just too quick and too talented for Concord. 

riccoar

ballmember

finals  Saturday

Noon  Girls Quitman vs Westside

130     Boys MVE vs Concord

Pick Westside and Concord

Weiser

My picks are

Girls-  Quitman
Boys- MVE

Should be some good games

riccoar

Rackjack74

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 28, 2018, 08:45:19 am
Boys
MVE by 12+
Quitman 8+

Girls
WSGF 5+
MVE 18+

I've seen all these teams play once now and I think I'll be close on this. Granted Quitman has been a powerhouse in girls but those days are passed for this year.  MVE girls may be the best girls team I've seen this year.  Interesting picks in the first round you had Shirley beating Concord now you have Concord beating #1 seed WSGF.

Hooten and the Lady Dawgs said wut?  ::)  Glad we went ahead and played the game instead of crowning a winner by proxy...

riccoar

Senior Girls
Quitman 68
West Side 50

riccoar

December 29, 2018, 02:23:44 pm #24 Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:49:03 pm by riccoar
Senior Boys

Concord   67
MVE         61   FINAL

Concord had the double bonus entire 4th.

Sports Loser

Quitman way too quick and talented for WSGF girls.  I was wrong about Quitman girls.  Concord too big for MVE I was wrong about them also.  I'm a bad picker good games though. 

Rackjack74

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 29, 2018, 03:14:24 pm
Quitman way too quick and talented for WSGF girls.  I was wrong about Quitman girls.  Concord too big for MVE I was wrong about them also.  I'm a bad picker good games though.

I wouldn't sweat it too much...that's why we play them.  Heck, they whole tourney could possibly be played all over again with a completely different outcome on both the boys and girls brackets.  It's just simply who plays the best on a given night...

Sports Loser

Quote from: Rackjack74 on December 29, 2018, 04:19:57 pm
I wouldn't sweat it too much...that's why we play them.  Heck, they whole tourney could possibly be played all over again with a completely different outcome on both the boys and girls brackets.  It's just simply who plays the best on a given night...
Great games.  When I saw Quitman before I didn't think they were that good.  I was totally wrong!  Hooten has them rolling way too quick and talented for WSGF today.  And in the boys it was a post team vs a team that shot more outside shots.  2 totally different styles

Sports Loser

December 29, 2018, 04:47:11 pm #28 Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:51:44 pm by Sports Loser
Quote from: riccoar on December 29, 2018, 02:23:44 pm
Senior Boys

Concord   67
MVE         61   FINAL

Concord had the double bonus entire 4th.
Was you at the game?  Both teams were in foul trouble.  Riccoar is the guy that always complains about the refs.  Maybe he isn't complaining but I'm sure he is. In this game Concord posted up a lot and often and MVE really struggled to stop hence the fouls.  If one team is more aggressive on offense and the other is struggling to stop it they usually start fouling.  Same thing happened in the girls game.  I believe WSGF was up 12 or so to start the game but Quitman relentless pressure of attacking on both ends got WSGF in foul trouble which resulted in the blowout.  I thought WSGF played well until they got tired and started making mistakes.  I thought both of the winning teams played to their strengths.  Officials had zero outcome on either of the games at all.  Interesting styles today Quitman girls with relentless pressure that was way too quick and talented for WSGF in one game and Concord that looked like a team from the 80s with the slower paced low post attack.  Took me back a few years. 

riccoar

Quitman is 2A and undefeated in their league.  Also handled MVE girls pretty easily as well, hence why I picked them to win today.  I feel MVE girls are better than the WSGF girls.

As for the boys game, I turned it on late late 3rd quarter.  Concord was one foul from double bonus.  Got the tenth foul and I believe 2 more before MVE was called for their 7th of the half.  I'd have to ask someone from MVE about the overall game.  But from what I saw, I didn't see MVE playing any harder defense down low than what Concord was playing on their end.  Matter of fact, 2-3 of those fouls I saw called on MVE were not even under the basket.  Like I said, I'd like to hear Flobitto or someone else from MVE.  Just really odd to see a team in the double bonus for that much of a game.

Woodrow1

Quote from: riccoar on December 29, 2018, 06:37:13 pm
Quitman is 2A and undefeated in their league.  Also handled MVE girls pretty easily as well, hence why I picked them to win today.  I feel MVE girls are better than the WSGF girls.

As for the boys game, I turned it on late late 3rd quarter.  Concord was one foul from double bonus.  Got the tenth foul and I believe 2 more before MVE was called for their 7th of the half.  I'd have to ask someone from MVE about the overall game.  But from what I saw, I didn't see MVE playing any harder defense down low than what Concord was playing on their end.  Matter of fact, 2-3 of those fouls I saw called on MVE were not even under the basket.  Like I said, I'd like to hear Flobitto or someone else from MVE.  Just really odd to see a team in the double bonus for that much of a game.

From what I have heard MVE was lucky to be there anyway.  Calico Rock got hosed is what I was told by someone who isn't from calico. 

Sports Loser

Riccoar hates referees.  Plain and simple.  I thought that it could of been more fouls called in both games.  But I have also walked in their shoes and I understand basketball and how it is played so I have a little bit different view maybe it looked different on the stream but I was there and thought both games were called well.  Very impressed with Quitmans girls and coach.  He seems to dial it up and keep his plan intact all the time.  So I apologize to Quitman for doubting them I have turned into a fan.  They were just too quick and talented for WSGF.  But it seems that there is always those fans in the stands that complain non stop I noticed it more today than usual.  Seemed like a big tournament atmosphere with quite a few "normal idiot fans".  Always upset refs are bad I get it Riccoar you are upset as usual

riccoar

Referees are like lawyers. Never wrong.

Flobbito

Didn't get to see today's game, but watched both yesterday. Boys played a good game against a salty CR team that did have foul trouble, but I think it has more to do with them only having 8 players and only playing six of those.  The only bad foul call I thought went against them was the one that their number 15 was called for his fifth. His feet were planted. Other than that, nothing egregious, game foul count was within 5. For the girls, our starters got in foul trouble early, had to sit gave up a big lead then wore themselves out getting back into the game and gave up another big lead. As for today's game we don't match up well with Concord. Second time we have lost to them this year.

Sports Loser

Quote from: Flobbito on December 29, 2018, 10:10:25 pm
Didn't get to see today's game, but watched both yesterday. Boys played a good game against a salty CR team that did have foul trouble, but I think it has more to do with them only having 8 players and only playing six of those.  The only bad foul call I thought went against them was the one that their number 15 was called for his fifth. His feet were planted. Other than that, nothing egregious, game foul count was within 5. For the girls, our starters got in foul trouble early, had to sit gave up a big lead then wore themselves out getting back into the game and gave up another big lead. As for today's game we don't match up well with Concord. Second time we have lost to them this year.
Wow a fan not whining about the refs?  I applaud you Flobbito.  +1. Thank you for not being a whiney excuse maker.  This guy or gal gets basketball.

Sports Loser

Quote from: riccoar on December 29, 2018, 08:27:01 pm
Riccoar is upset about refs as usual same song and dance.  And wasn't even at the game?  Comical. 

riccoar

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 30, 2018, 07:47:10 am
Riccoar is upset about refs as usual same song and dance.  And wasn't even at the game?  Comical.
Try to keep up.  I'm sure a 3rd grade education makes it tough.  Reading Comprehension might help you.  READ,  thoroughly before you post.  As I made clear, I picked it up at the end of 3rd Quarter and Concord was already in the bonus.  Concord played the entire 4th quarter with the bonus.  I was asking anyone who was a fan and knows MVE what their take on that was.  Based on what I saw in the 4th, I saw MVE being no more aggressive defensively down low than was Concord.  I didn't get to see the whole previous 3 quarters.  Are we now clear or do I need to go a bit slower for you?

Sports Loser

December 30, 2018, 02:06:58 pm #37 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:20:29 pm by Sports Loser
Quote from: riccoar on December 30, 2018, 01:26:25 pm
Try to keep up.  I'm sure a 3rd grade education makes it tough.  Reading Comprehension might help you.  READ,  thoroughly before you post.  As I made clear, I picked it up at the end of 3rd Quarter and Concord was already in the bonus.  Concord played the entire 4th quarter with the bonus.  I was asking anyone who was a fan and knows MVE what their take on that was.  Based on what I saw in the 4th, I saw MVE being no more aggressive defensively down low than was Concord.  I didn't get to see the whole previous 3 quarters.  Are we now clear or do I need to go a bit slower for you?
I understood the first time you are always complaining about officiating we have all seen it over and over and over and over and over and over.  You are just one of those fans that complain about officiating all the time.  Constantly.  I was simply pointing out that you ALWAYS complain about officiating and was doing it again.  Whinebag!   But both games in the finals were very good in person and very good officiated coming from someone that was actually there.  Enjoyed them both

Sports Loser

Quote from: riccoar on December 29, 2018, 08:27:01 pm
Really he doesn't have any issues with Referees.  Have you ever reffed any games?  Just wondering. 

riccoar

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 30, 2018, 02:18:49 pm
Really he doesn't have any issues with Referees.  Have you ever reffed any games?  Just wondering.
Umpired for several years. I know the rule of thumb for any referee or umpire is consistency.  I went to a large classification school so I'm not used to seeing refs in the rookie league.  Seems you never get the same 3 officials and I've never been able to determine which was the lead official. I see way too much officiating were all three guys act as if the other ones are invisible. I've personally watched an official make a foul call and seen the ref opposite him shake his head and mimic with his mouth the words "no way" and turn and walk off. That should never happen, EVER.
My personal opinion, but I think you would help the consistency out by assigning set groups to officiate more together. I can't recall going to two games in the same gym in the same week and seeing the same squad working together. Yeah, they probably know each other, but working consistently with the same folks would be much better for quality sake.
And as an umpire, I didn't always get it right. Any ref or ump that says they do is a bad one.

FromTheBench

One of the best games of the tournament was Calico Rock VS MVE boys. Both teams played hard and scrapped for 4 quarters. Shirley gets ragged on for their gym a lot, but you can't dream of a better atmosphere than that if you're a player on either side.

riccoar

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 31, 2018, 11:00:37 am
One of the best games of the tournament was Calico Rock VS MVE boys. Both teams played hard and scrapped for 4 quarters. Shirley gets ragged on for their gym a lot, but you can't dream of a better atmosphere than that if you're a player on either side.
I think I caught the first 3 minutes of that game.  They were moving up and down pretty quick.  I do like the Shirley gym and the remodel seats are nice.  But capacity wise, I think they have maximized that.  After the game, I had to drive my daughter to Clinton.  First time on that road to PeeDee.  Would not want to have to drive it when it snows or has ice.

Flobbito

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 31, 2018, 11:00:37 am

It was a good game. In a perfect world they will meet again in the state tournament.

FromTheBench

Is MVE young or are most of their guys seniors this year?

Flobbito

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 31, 2018, 02:20:46 pm
Is MVE young or are most of their guys seniors this year?

Two seniors, both starters, two juniors and one sophomore also start. Three sophomores and a junior came off the bench for us in the tournament. Don't have much coming from our freshmen group, could move a ninth grader up (IMO) next year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas