• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injury's in practice and scrimmage games.

Started by smurf_you91, August 17, 2018, 12:30:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

smurf_you91

So Ozark hasn't even had their scrimmage yet and already two offensive linemen (Colton Moon and Cody Weseman) are out for season and Running back Daniel Woolsey is out until possibly week 4! And we know of other injuries around the state and in other conferences so with these injuries it begs the question! Is scrimmages really worth it and should practice be wrap or touch only? Let me know what you think.

Sigmund Sauer

"Touch only" huh? Is it warm where you're at? Just asking because you're about to get roasted.

Mr. Mercer

No. It's part of the game. You people have become soft.

nastynice

Strap em up!  Full contact practices are very necessary.  Maybe not 5 days a week, but 2-3 days for sure.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: nastynice on August 17, 2018, 01:09:33 pm
Strap em up!  Full contact practices are very necessary.  Maybe not 5 days a week, but 2-3 days for sure.
we had 3 hard hitting practices when I played

AmSycho

August 17, 2018, 01:50:28 pm #5 Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:07:29 pm by AmSycho
Injuries happen, that's part of it. Frequent injuries may happen due to the off season/summer/in season weight lifting or lack there of. Lifting strengthens muscles, which is a given, but it also helps prevent injury. In a case like this, it may be just bad luck. In my mind, I try to rule out bad luck and look at the strength and conditioning first.

Contact is part of the game. The players need to feel that sting in practice before getting to the game. There are ways to do less contact drills, but they need to hit sometimes. Coaches just have to use their heads and plan accordingly.

hogwild_82

Rule is you can't have back to back practices of full contact. If you watch NCAA and NFL they do many non-padded practices to work on footwork, hand placement, technique, and running to the ball but they don't actually go contact.

You can't win the championship in the summer, however, you do have to establish physicality early in the year.

Coaches today have a non-envious job of taking care of kids but also demanding they be physical....

hogwild_82

Rule is you can't have back to back practices of full contact. If you watch NCAA and NFL they do many non-padded practices to work on footwork, hand placement, technique, and running to the ball but they don't actually go contact.

You can't win the championship in the summer, however, you do have to establish physicality early in the year.

Coaches today have a non-envious job of taking care of kids but also demanding they be physical....

smurf_you91

Roasted like a turkey or peanuts I'm just wondering? And I know it's a contact sport I'm just saying when you have players dropping like flies one has to think.

Sigmund Sauer

August 17, 2018, 11:45:26 pm #9 Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:49:45 pm by Sigmund Sauer
Quote from: smurf_you91 on August 17, 2018, 10:46:55 pm
Roasted like a turkey or peanuts I'm just wondering? And I know it's a contact sport I'm just saying when you have players dropping like flies one has to think.
I actually feel bad about my comment, because just after I posted I realized you have to be a football momma.  I realize it's hard seeing those baby boys get injured, it's a game they love though. What's impressive is seeing these young men face those injuries and still fight through it. Learning to work through adversity can be a huge factor in learning to achieve lifetime goals for young people.

smurf_you91

Lol no I'm not a momma just an avid fan who knows most if not all the kids on the team personally! And my point is yes it's football yes you are risking getting hurt but if you keep getting season ending injuries especially as a senior before the season even starts then what are we doing wrong what can we do to fix it I mean we are already down two lineman which to any team is the lowest numbered position in football we don't have many more to put out there.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas