• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hampton Basketball (reposted from 1A board)

Started by Rida4Life, May 09, 2018, 09:04:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida4Life

I hear the Dawgs have a new coach? 
Any truth to this?

Sounds like quite the fiasco with the old coach.

No doubt Young will bring experience and discipline to the program.

old.dole

Rough year last year. Played some good teams competitively but never could finish the game. Return everyone including a promising 9th grader

BlueCrew4U

Young built a tremendous girls program at PC, had some talented teams at Kingsland as well.  Hasn't coached boys bball in quite some time but I think it's safe to say Hampton will be much improved.

hogman1886

I agree. I think Hampton will be much improved. Better not overlook the dawgs.

old.dole

Who will challenge last years top dogs in the conference?

hogman1886

Quote from: old.dole on May 18, 2018, 12:28:32 pm
Who will challenge last years top dogs in the conference?

Junction City and Layafette County are both going to be very solid. Bearden could and a few others could make some noise.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: hogman1886 on May 21, 2018, 07:46:23 am
Junction City and Layafette County are both going to be very solid. Bearden could and a few others could make some noise.

Doesn't junction lose a lot of seniors this year?

PapaHog

*Lafayette is a bottom feeder. They may be improved, but I do t see them as contenders.

old.dole

Bearden was one of the top dogs last year. They will be back. I thought laf county had a really good junior last year and then won the district tourney in jh

NWA Hawg

Quote from: old.dole on May 21, 2018, 09:25:29 am
Bearden was one of the top dogs last year. They will be back. I thought laf county had a really good junior last year and then won the district tourney in jh

Bearden loses a good bit as well don't they?

hogman1886

Quote from: fann07 on May 21, 2018, 07:55:09 am
Doesn't junction lose a lot of seniors this year?

Not sure. I know they have talent year in and year out. They made a good run in State this year in 3A.

hogman1886

Quote from: PapaHog on May 21, 2018, 08:19:14 am
*Lafayette is a bottom feeder. They may be improved, but I do t see them as contenders.

Lafayette won't be a "bottom feeder" this year if they get a good coach. If coach Hartsfield would coach another year they would have a chance at winning that conference(In my opinion).

hogman1886

Also heard that PC is losing the 6'10" kid. Anyone heard this or is it just a Rumor?

PapaHog

old.dole

Bearden won the district year before last in jh and was the 1 seed on their side this past year with their best player on the high school roster

hogman1886

Quote from: old.dole on May 21, 2018, 03:51:29 pm
Bearden won the district year before last in jh and was the 1 seed on their side this past year with their best player on the high school roster

Bearden will be athletic, but I don't think they win it this year. Maybe the year after next. The two seniors they are losing will be too much too replace. I think they will be too young.

eldofan

Quote from: hogman1886 on May 21, 2018, 11:49:03 am
Also heard that PC is losing the 6'10" kid. Anyone heard this or is it just a Rumor?
i heard tonite he is moving to Kansas

hogman1886

Quote from: eldofan on May 22, 2018, 09:24:44 pm
i heard tonite he is moving to Kansas

I know PC had a deep bench last year but this will hurt.

old.dole

Yep he is going back home to Kansas. Will be a completely different team in chapel next year

hogman1886

Lafetteye County has hired a new coach, Coach Briggs from Columbia Christian. Like I said before this team will be one of the teams to beat in that conference. Briggs is an excellent coach and a great hire for LC.

hogman1886

What are yalls predictions for this conference next year?

1. JC
2. Fordyce
3. Lafayette County
4. Harmony Grove
5. Bearden
6. Parkers Chapel
7. Woodlawn
8. Hampton
9. Spring Hill

old.dole

Jc
Pc
Bearden
Fordyce
LC
Hampton
Woodlawn
Hg
Springhill

eldofan

Pc will be middle of the pack this coming year.

old.dole

What's your conference prediction eldofan?  I think 1-5 will be a tight race. I think anyone in my 1-5 could win the conference. Jc lost a lot but return their big man. Pc lost a lot but has some really good young players to go along with only returning starter. Bearden lost 2 of the big 3 but have two nice sophomores to compliment little Hughes. Fordyce brings back all but one key player but weren't great in 3a last year. I've already talked on LC earlier. Grove lost all main players except for the falls kid and were bad in JH. Not sure on Woodlawn and SH was improved from the year before but are missing some pieces. Hampton will take a year or two for young to run the rift raft off. That's just what I gather from watching the conference for the past 4 season or so

eldofan

I think Jc Bearden and fordyce could be the top3. I missed both LC Games. Had the Osborn kid stayed Pc would be in my top 3 .

old.dole

I am interested to see what adjustments are made without him. You don't replace a 6-10 kid

eldofan

That's what we were saying at the ballgame last night

hogman1886

Quote from: old.dole on May 23, 2018, 01:32:57 pm
What's your conference prediction eldofan?  I think 1-5 will be a tight race. I think anyone in my 1-5 could win the conference. Jc lost a lot but return their big man. Pc lost a lot but has some really good young players to go along with only returning starter. Bearden lost 2 of the big 3 but have two nice sophomores to compliment little Hughes. Fordyce brings back all but one key player but weren't great in 3a last year. I've already talked on LC earlier. Grove lost all main players except for the falls kid and were bad in JH. Not sure on Woodlawn and SH was improved from the year before but are missing some pieces. Hampton will take a year or two for young to run the rift raft off. That's just what I gather from watching the conference for the past 4 season or so

I think you are correct with these predictions but I think HG and Woodlawn will be the teams to watch out for. Both teams had a solid group of sophomores this season, even though they played a lot of seniors. Don't think either team will win the conference but I expect there to be some upsets in February.

PapaHog

Harmony Grove will struggle next year. Wouldn't put them in my top 4 unless Pigott just coaches his butt off next year.

Enrico Polatzo

Fordyce finished dead last in their league last yr and LC only won 1 game in theirs. Not sure why they getting so much love. Agree on JC at top. Bearden always athletic and competitive. Of the rest, Hampton probably returns the most. Didn't have a sr on the team. Woodlawn also had nice yr last yr and could cause issues. PC loses 2 all state gds and big man moving. Will be very unproven coming back. Don't know much about Grove other than they were much improved last yr. Spring Hill is just bad. With football being such a big thing in this league the best teams won't be known until mid January. Conference tourney will be really good

hogman1886

Quote from: PapaHog on May 23, 2018, 04:58:09 pm
Harmony Grove will struggle next year. Wouldn't put them in my top 4 unless Pigott just coaches his butt off next year.

I can agree with this but you have to give the guy credit. He took a team that was winning 6 games a year to the state tournament and won 20+. He will have his work cut out but I wouldn't count the grove out just yet, they are the sleepers in my opinion. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: hogman1886 on May 24, 2018, 07:44:54 am
I can agree with this but you have to give the guy credit. He took a team that was winning 6 games a year to the state tournament and won 20+. He will have his work cut out but I wouldn't count the grove out just yet, they are the sleepers in my opinion.

He also also added a whole other group of kids to his team. HG shut down all athletics at Sparkman last year so all of the Sparkman basketball only kids went and played for HG this year. While it may not have been but 3 or 4 kids that contributed, we all know that adding just a couple kids in basketball at the 2a level can make a significant difference. Especially when your already the biggest school in 2a. Besides the fact they had a total of maybe 2 wins of the 20 over teams with a winning record. You forget they were in a combined conference with Taylor, Emerson, and Bradley. All bottom tier 1a teams. Easy to rack up wins with a schedule like that.

hogman1886

May 24, 2018, 10:16:27 am #32 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:19:33 am by hogman1886
Quote from: fann07 on May 24, 2018, 08:00:36 am
He also also added a whole other group of kids to his team. HG shut down all athletics at Sparkman last year so all of the Sparkman basketball only kids went and played for HG this year. While it may not have been but 3 or 4 kids that contributed, we all know that adding just a couple kids in basketball at the 2a level can make a significant difference. Especially when your already the biggest school in 2a. Besides the fact they had a total of maybe 2 wins of the 20 over teams with a winning record. You forget they were in a combined conference with Taylor, Emerson, and Bradley. All bottom tier 1a teams. Easy to rack up wins with a schedule like that.

Good Point, but what about the Regional Tournament where they beat Blevins and Mountian Pine(supposedly one of the top teams in 2A). I don't know about those 1A teams being bottom tier. Bradley beat PC and Nevada is always good even though Emerson and Taylor usually struggle, so yes 2 bottom tier teams and 2 good teams. I'm curious to see what happens this season. I like watching him and the Woodlawn coach on the sideline. Young coaches that know the game and can get players to buy into their system like they have can have success. They had 1 Sparkman kid that helped them, that Denton kid.

NWA Hawg

The 2 games in regionals are the only 2 wins over teams with a winning record I believe. Now the woodlawn coach is a different story. Much respect for what he has done coaching both boys and girls.

hogman1886

Quote from: fann07 on May 24, 2018, 11:00:27 am
The 2 games in regionals are the only 2 wins over teams with a winning record I believe. Now the woodlawn coach is a different story. Much respect for what he has done coaching both boys and girls.

Well, they don't get to pick their conference schedule. And in my opinion, I don't see a huge difference between the two. Both played about the same schedule. Both came into a losing program. Both took their teams to state. HG beat Woodlawn pretty bad in a Scrimmage at the beginning of the year (85-65 or something in that range)and that was Before Piggot got his football players so I would say they are both good, young coaches, but everyone is initialed to their own opinion.

old.dole

Several good young coaches in this conference. Adair, pigot, hammonds, langley, Welch. That's 5 of the 9 in the conference right there

YOUKNOWWHO

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 09, 2018, 09:04:44 am
I hear the Dawgs have a new coach? 
Any truth to this?

Sounds like quite the fiasco with the old coach.

No doubt Young will bring experience and discipline to the program.

Young could not coach his self out of a wet paper bag. The only reason he had some good teams at PC was because of Coach Laymen. When Laymen left so did Youngs coaching ability. Mark my words Hampton wont be any better this year then they were last year.

Rida4Life

you obviously lost the ability to spell LAYMON....
sounds like an axe to grind to me.....
8)

old.dole

So laymon was coaching the boys and the girls behind the scenes at Pc?

sickwillie

Quote from: YOUKNOWWHO on October 30, 2018, 07:19:58 am
Young could not coach his self out of a wet paper bag. The only reason he had some good teams at PC was because of Coach Laymen. When Laymen left so did Youngs coaching ability. Mark my words Hampton wont be any better this year then they were last year.

You're out of your mind. I'll bet my paycheck to yours (if you get one) that Mark Young and the Bulldogs will be way better and will make a deep run in the post season.

sickwillie

YOUKNOWWHO,
I've got two questions for you:

1. If Mark Young can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack how did he appear in so many state tournaments? Why is his name constantly on the all star coach ballot? He's been successful in Kingsland and at Parkers Chapel. And come this winter, he'll be successful in Hampton too.

2. What started your hate for Hampton and Ables?

old.dole

How deep you think they can go? All I know is they weren't very successful last year

sickwillie

Quote from: old.dole on October 30, 2018, 09:34:08 pm
How deep you think they can go? All I know is they weren't very successful last year

Far enough

sickwillie

Acutually I think getting out of the district will be harder than getting out of the regional. So if they buy in as a team to what Young wants then they could have a good run. I don't think you will see their best ball until mid January. Hopefully in time to play well at district. They have some legit players and also gonna have some depth at all 5 spots

old.dole

bearbacker52

Quote from: old.dole on May 23, 2018, 11:49:02 am
Jc
Pc
Bearden
Fordyce
LC
Hampton
Woodlawn
Hg
Springhill

you forgot the dot dot dot before you dropped down

sickwillie

I'm gettin' real ready to watch the hardwood dawgs go at it. Can't wait!

old.dole

sickwillie

November 30, 2018, 08:02:28 am #48 Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:43:19 am by sickwillie
Quote from: old.dole on November 29, 2018, 09:08:49 pm
When do they play their first one?

They're in a tournament @ Harmony Grove this weekend. They play Hamburg at 3:45

ak58

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas