• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 08, 2017, 10:26:55 am
Is that Ashdown kid able to play at DI, we need speed but we need difference makers.  We are behind the eight ball right now. 

Yup, he is 6'2 I believe. And if he is good enough for Dan Mullen, he would be good enough here.

Plus, listen to Fitz Hill. 4.4 can't be coached. Gotta get those kids on the field for Arkansas.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on December 08, 2017, 10:21:53 am
Does anybody know who we have offered and more important who Morris is offering. 
What's the word on a DC?
Hes already offering kids out to 2020 and with high star ratings.

Seems to be a very aggressive recruiter.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: RZback on December 08, 2017, 10:21:53 am
Does anybody know who we have offered and more important who Morris is offering. 
What's the word on a DC?

Two 4* WRs. Both from Texas. Tommy Bush and J Crawford.

Tommy bush is a big body WR and could very well commit soon. 6'5 195 lbs.

He has also offered Billy Ferrell for DL out of Fordyce, Arkansas.

footballfan-tastic

Ok, I know this will draw some criticism but there are lots of kids across the country who can run 4.4 or who are big or who look good on their high school team. 
We, rather the coaching staff, needs to concentrate on playmakers, and guys that can fit the system they will run and are really going to make an impact in DI.
Just a fast kid from Arkansas is not a reason to recruit.  I wish fans would look at them in relation to the talent pool available.  Sometimes we do no.
Hope Coach Morris gets the best available regardless of where they come from.  I want to see our program be at the top of the heap.

RZback

Yep, you are going to get some criticism I bet.  I do however know what you mean.  BB missed on some players that we signed and that happens but we seemed to miss more than we hit.  I don't care if they are Arkansas kids or not, just as long as they can play ball and know how to act.

footballfan-tastic

I just know if you are a good athlete it's easier to look really good if you play in a lower classification.  Have to evaluate them well. 

bdubyab60

There are a couple things you can't teach. That's speed and size. Kenneth Dixon comes to mind.

Bama has offered some of these kids as well so it's not like they don't have the potential

footballfan-tastic

Well you can improve speed, just ask a track coach, you can make a kid bigger and stronger, ask a strength coach.  If you couldn't do those things then colleges wouldn't hire strength coaches nor train for speed and agility.

But to a larger point.  Every big and/or fast kid cannot play football.

sportsguy80

Any word on Montaric Brown from Ashdown? I heard he was enrolled but don't know if he is still here. He could definitely be a difference maker in the secondary if we can develop him.

bdubyab60

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 08, 2017, 04:20:53 pm
Well you can improve speed, just ask a track coach, you can make a kid bigger and stronger, ask a strength coach.  If you couldn't do those things then colleges wouldn't hire strength coaches nor train for speed and agility.

But to a larger point.  Every big and/or fast kid cannot play football.
You aren't improving a 4.4 kid much. And is say you can teach a kid with raw talent and athleticism to play football.

We've needed speed for a few years now. And it looks like the kids they are going after can play too

Trojanbird

Quote from: AirWarren on December 08, 2017, 10:37:01 am
Yup, he is 6'2 I believe. And if he is good enough for Dan Mullen, he would be good enough here.

Plus, listen to Fitz Hill. 4.4 can't be coached. Gotta get those kids on the field for Arkansas.
Yup, there are also a lot of flute players out there that are very fleet footed, but that does not mean that they are football players! IMO

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 08, 2017, 07:56:36 pm
You aren't improving a 4.4 kid much. And is say you can teach a kid with raw talent and athleticism to play football.

We've needed speed for a few years now. And it looks like the kids they are going after can play too

I'd love to join the discussion on how fast these guys are or are not but it wouldn't convince anyone.  People believe the myths that run wild about crazy times for kids and even pros.  If you do the research you see why these things happen.  They are mostly exaggerated through bad methods of timeing. 
Anyway, you are dead right that Arkansas really needs speed.  I hope we get all the really fast, big and strong kids we can that can really play ball.  Tired of watching games and being embarrassed by the way we play.

bdubyab60

It would be nice to watch our guys run away from a defense for a chance. Looks like CM for the most part look like good ball players. We will see how it translates to the field

Kazimierz

December 10, 2017, 09:05:50 am #63 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:18:47 am by Kazimierz
Here's to another exciting chapter for Arkansas football. I was talking to my dad about this - Arkansas coaching in general - and we were rehashing everything post-Jack Crowe (my earliest memories).

I think CM is a good option to get the Hogs back to a steady diet of 8-4 and 9-3 seasons. For a team like Arkansas - I think 9-3 should be the realistic expectation every year. Once in every four years make a serious run for a conference title and 11-1 record.

If CM can recruit the type of athletes that work in a Clemson-style offense... it should at least put cheeks in the seats.

Valleysports

beach bum

HorseFeathers

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 10, 2017, 05:48:18 pm
Never is a long time

The sport of football will be disbanded sadly at the rate things are going before we win a championship.

RZback

Hopefully the Hogs get going right away.  I don't think the fan base is going to be too patient.  We cannot take a 2-4 win season.  I'd say Morris needs to find at least 6 wins to keep folks somewhat satisfied.

nuttinbuthogs

We need to start hitting the 10 win mark fairly often.  It will not happen every year I know but every 3 or 4 it could.  Nutt was 75-48 and won 8 or more games 6 of ten years and fans ran him out.  I don't think if Morris goes that route its a great thing for the program.  Remember too that Nutt has the second best win percentage afte Broyles.  Got to get better than that if we want to be in the top of SEC.

cuckoobird

Lou holtz winning % was better than broyles and bobby p's was better than nutt

Romeo

Quote from: sportsguy80 on December 08, 2017, 05:44:04 pm
Any word on Montaric Brown from Ashdown? I heard he was enrolled but don’t know if he is still here. He could definitely be a difference maker in the secondary if we can develop him.

Not sure if you were already aware but Montaric Brown committed to Arkansas yesterday.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 11, 2017, 09:00:31 am
We need to start hitting the 10 win mark fairly often.  It will not happen every year I know but every 3 or 4 it could.  Nutt was 75-48 and won 8 or more games 6 of ten years and fans ran him out.  I don't think if Morris goes that route its a great thing for the program.  Remember too that Nutt has the second best win percentage afte Broyles.  Got to get better than that if we want to be in the top of SEC.

Sorry, I got my facts wrong.  I looked at the chart wrong, Nutt is second most total wins.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 11, 2017, 10:15:15 am
Not sure if you were already aware but Montaric Brown committed to Arkansas yesterday.

Montaric's cousin Ladarius Bishop you mean?

sportsguy80

Quote from: AirWarren on December 11, 2017, 11:16:48 am
Montaric's cousin Ladarius Bishop you mean?
Yeah gets kinda confusing if you're not keeping up. Ashdown is producing some serious talent as of late.

bleudog

footballfan-tastic

Next most important thing for Hogs is a darn good DC. 

bdubyab60

Bohannon to announce his choice next Tuesday

Trojanbird

Perhaps the hogs will have a freshman starting qb next year!

sportsguy80

I think we have a legitimate shot at getting Bohannon because of this offensive style and he has a huge chance of playing right away.

nuttinbuthogs

How many quarterbacks does UA currently have?  How many more recruits are verbally committed, and in Bohannon and how many do we need? 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 15, 2017, 10:15:48 am
How many quarterbacks does UA currently have?  How many more recruits are verbally committed, and in Bohannon and how many do we need? 

5 I think

nuttinbuthogs

So are you saying we have 5 now, so Bohannon added to our other commits would make 7?

footballfan-tastic

Maybe we should get rid of a few of those and recruit some defense.  After we get a DC.  We need to have a DC on board before we sign a lot of defensive players, he needs to be sure they fit his system.

Lionheart88

I'd be leery of jumping on Bohannon over Noland too quickly.  I remember when folks were talking about how Storey was going to be the savior, and how much has he played?  It's a massive jump from low-level high school ball in Arkansas to the SEC.  I doubt anyone can make it in a year.  Noland is at least coming from 6A, but even then I'd feel more comfortable with him redshirting a year.

gameoflife

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 15, 2017, 12:54:33 pm
Maybe we should get rid of a few of those and recruit some defense.  After we get a DC.  We need to have a DC on board before we sign a lot of defensive players, he needs to be sure they fit his system.

We don't need so many QB's for sure and we don't yet have an DC.

bdubyab60

gameoflife

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 15, 2017, 04:39:41 pm
I'd expect a few transfers.

Seems like we recruited too many, can we not tell a good one when we see it or we just want to weed them out on campus?

bigworm

December 15, 2017, 08:49:24 pm #88 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:51:02 pm by bigworm
Pretty sure ty story had an offer from alabama. Guess saban cant evaluate talent either. All the guys there can play but they all were highschool players that have probably not gotten any better than they were when they played their last highschool game. Coaches failed miserably at developing the talent they had. We have more players than anyone thinks. We need a couple speedsters but we have enough players to be much much better if coaches can coach.

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on December 15, 2017, 08:38:39 pm
Seems like we recruited too many, can we not tell a good one when we see it or we just want to weed them out on campus?
I don't think that every player we have offered is going to make it to campus. Some will also redshirt.

Morris has offered kids all the way out to 2020.

Things are going to getting done different than when Bielema was here.

OB11

Didn't Bohannon make it pretty far in the Elite 11 competition? You get some pretty high level instruction and practice on reading defenses going through that I think. I have no idea...but does anyone know if Noland or Storey competed in that?

bdubyab60

I know Bohannon did. He also worked with Clint Stoerner all summer.

RZback

Quote from: bigworm on December 15, 2017, 08:49:24 pm
Pretty sure ty story had an offer from alabama. Guess saban cant evaluate talent either. All the guys there can play  ut they all were highschool cosches that have probably not gotten any better than they were when they played their last highschool game. Cosches failed miserably at developing the talent they had. We have more players than anyone thinks. We need a cpuple speedsters but we have enough players to be much much better if coaches can coach.
[/quote

Storey not going anywhere, and even Saban misses on a kid once in a while.  I don't know who our next qB will be but I do know if we are going to get out of the cellar whoever it is will have to play much better than our QB's played this year.

AirWarren

bdubyab60

If none transfer. We have Ty Storey, Cole Kelly and Daulton Hyatt on roster I believe. Hyatt was redshirted this year. Noland is all Hog but has the baseball offer. Seems he is really wanting to play both and won't go pro in baseball. Folks say he is real good. Bohannon has as much raw talent as any recruit out there. Morris has also offered another QBout of Texas for 2018.

If all were to commit and stay that's 6 on roster. A couple would for sure redshirt or one would think.

Hogs currently have 11 commits and think we can sign 15. Early signing is next week 20-22. Morris said he expected half the commits to sign early. ThTs leaves a lot to happen between now and the late period

nastynice

Bohannon and Flannigan jumped ship. Good or bad thing for Morris and the Hogs?

beach bum

Quote from: nastynice on December 19, 2017, 04:36:00 pm
Bohannon and Flannigan jumped ship. Good or bad thing for Morris and the Hogs?

I guess they didn't want to jump in the left lane and put the hammer down with Morris? Lol

Trojanbird

I don't think that it is an issue with Morris!
If they don't want to be here, then best of luck to them!

beach bum

I was more just making fun of Morris cause that is the cliché thing he says everytime he gives a speech or statement..... The other cliché thing he says too is "I'm going to have the best 'insert any word here' "

bdubyab60

I think we will be fine. Hate to lose any good Arkansas players. This early signing period leaves little time to build any relationships. Don't think we were getting Bohannon no matter who the coach was.

He has flipped a couple other recruits from Arkansas back to the Hogs from other schools though.

Actually looks like we can sign 12 and not 15. 10 currently committed and he is chasing some decent recruits at least on paper anyway. Do we get them who knows.

Next years class of Arkansas kids will be the tale as the state has some really good players in it for that year. So we will really see what Morris can do as far as a full year of recruiting.

He needs to get a defensive staff in place. Supposedly our DC is still coaching.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas