• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Arkansas Razorback Men and Women Track and Field (Indoor and Outdoor)

Started by AT, November 18, 2017, 12:52:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

groundgame

I'm glad someone else (almatrackster) had the same thought as myself about injuries. I know as a coach myself that sometimes it's unavoidable but not to this extreme every year. I've coached several multi event athletes for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the number that had to miss conference or state because of some injury.

RATTLER43

It is magnified by predecessors having few injuries and seemingly having teams always rise to the occasion at the end of each season.   Injuries aplenty by hogs has me at a loss.  I cannot explain it.   I truly believe it has cost us 3 national titles in past 5 years. 

AT

Pre-NCAA Preliminary Rounds Projections (Women):

1. Georgia - 55
2. LSU - 49
3. Kentucky - 44.5
4. USC - 43
5. Texas A&M - 42.5
6. Oregon - 40.5
7. Florida - 39
8. Stanford - 37
9. Arkansas - 33.5
10. AZ State - 33

AT

Pre-NCAA Preliminary Rounds Projections (Men):

1. Florida - 48.5
2. Georgia - 43.5
3. Texas A&M - 41
4. Texas Tech - 30.33
5. BYU - 27
5. Arkansas - 27
7. Oregon - 26
8. No Arizona - 24
8. USC - 24
8. Alabama - 24

AT

Its NCAA Championship time. The first step in this process in track and field is that all teams in the country are separated into East and West Regions based on location. Arkansas is in the the West Region (crazy I know, but East colleges are highly congested east of the Mississippi River).

To qualify for a region (not everyone that wants to compete gets to), you must be one of the top 48 declared athletes in your respective event, 24 for relays.

You then compete at regionals and must be a top 12 individual or top 12 relay to qualify for the NCAA Championship Finals in Eugene, OR.

I will now post a list of when all Arkansas Razorbacks will compete.

AT

Men's Hammer Throw - Thursday - 2:00PM (Top 12 advance to NCAA Finals)
Erich Sullins - Personal Best - 63.71m

Men's 400 Meter Hurdles - 6:30 PM (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Kemar Mowatt - Personal Best - 48.49
Travius Chambers - Personal Best - 50.85
Larry Donald - Personal Best - 50.90

Men's Long Jump - 6:30 PM (Top 12 advance to NCAA Finals)
Rubin Owens - Personal Best - 7.74m
Harrison Schrage - Personal Best - 7.66m
Laquan Nairn - Personal Best - 7.55m

Men's 1500 Meter Run - 7:30 PM (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Ethan Moehn - Personal Best - 3:44.60
Cameron Griffith - Personal Best - 3:45.42

Women's 1500 Meter Run - 8:00 PM (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Nikki Hiltz - Personal Best - 4:10.80
Carina Viljoen - Personal Best - 4:16.07
Maddy Reed - Personal Best - 4:24.37

Men's 100 Meter Dash - 8:30 PM  (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Kenzo Cotton - Personal Best - 10.07

Women's 100 Meter Dash - 8:55 PM  (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Jada Baylark - Personal Best - 11.10
Kiara Parker - Personal Best - 11.13

Men's 400 Meter Dash - 9:20 PM  (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Obi Igbokwe - Personal Best - 45.54
Jamarco Stephen - Personal Best - 46.56

Women's Long Jump - 9:30 PM  (Top 12 advance to NCAA Finals)
Taliyah Brooks - Personal Best - 6.78m

Women's 400 Meter Dash - 9:45 PM  (Top 24 advance to next round of NCAA Prelims)
Morgan Burks Magee - Personal Best - 52.93

Men's 10000 Meter Run - 11:00 PM  (Top 12 advance to NCAA Finals)
Austen Dalquist - 29:08.60
Gilbert Boit - 29:13.31
Ryan Murphy - 29:18.42
Matt Young - 29:30.39

beach bum

Arkansas men finish 2nd in their heat behind Florida to advance on in the 4 X 100 in Eugene

beach bum

Griffith narrowly moves on in the 1500m by getting 5th in his heat... It was the slightly faster heat so he would have advanced still even had he got 6th or 7th.

beach bum

Larry Donald finishes 7th in his heat in the 110 hurdles and will not move on...

beach bum

Kenzo Cotton does not move on in the 100m and neither does Jaylen Bacon from ARKANSAS STATE

beach bum

Mowatt like expected advances in the 400m hurdles for the Hogs

beach bum

beach bum

RATTLER43

Quote from: beach bum on June 06, 2018, 08:00:21 pm
Kenzo Cotton does not move on in the 100m and neither does Jaylen Bacon from ARKANSAS STATE

Disappointing, but not overly surprising.  Lots of speed out there.

RATTLER43

4th in 4x100.   Houston with NCAA record!  It's on ESPN now. Awesome race. 

beach bum

There were records abound yesterday.... USC in the 4 X 400 to end the meet plus the USC guy in the 400m hurdles. Georgia takes the crown overall though.

beach bum

In typical Oregon fashion the weather is again supposed to be in the 50's and raining for the women.

AT

Few thoughts on Arkansas men's season:

100-200-400-4x100-4x400
In the sprints and relays, I honestly think we did well. Kenzo didn't make the 100 final, but he was very close and probably only missed them on a tough break. His 100 prelim was the only one with a negative wind reading and he still almost made it to the finals. He did make it in the 200, which I didn't expect.

Obi made it in the 400 and he's just a junior, so I expect big things out of him next year. Our sprint relay and mile relay did well. Relays were amazing this year and our guys were just a little behind them, but you can't fault them for not beating the record breaking times from USC and Houston.

I give the sprints an A-.

800-1500
You almost have to separate these two middle distance runs from everything else. This is where McDonnell made a living and where Bucknam has been very inconsistent. We really only had Cameron Griffith this year, who finished 8th in the 1500 at NCAAs. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't even have anyone else come close to placing at nationals this year.

I'll give it a C-, since we did score in one of the events.

5000-10000-3K Steeple
I know injuries ravaged us this year in this department but the best I can give is a D in this category. We didn't even have a national qualifier. That is just unacceptable at the University of Arkansas. The only reason I give a D and not an F is because we had some people close to qualifying at nationals and we had depth, just not quality.

110h-400h
Kemar had a great season. He didn't defend his title, but that's tough to ask when two people run some of the fastest times ever in the history of the NCAA. He even ran a season best in the finals. Larry Donald did a great job making the NCAAs in the 110s and didn't do too bad. Chambers had a good season until championship season. I'll give it a B-.

Field Events
I'm going with a D- and only not giving an F because of some good performances that came up short. Harrison Schrage had a spectacular championship season, but just missed out on placing in the long jump. Gabe Moore didn't perform well in the last even of the decathlon, and if he had even done marginally better, he would have placed 6th or 7th.

Other than that, though, we only had one other NCAA qualifier in field events...Derek Jacobus in the decathlon.

All in all, I'm not impressed with this season and I know I sound like a debbie downer, but it is sad that I've accepted on a national stage we are consistently behind Florida, A&M, and now even Georgia. LSU is starting to pass us, too.

beach bum

Good thoughts on the men and spot on.... Sadly, our women will end up being a let down some too this year as well. Not to the extent of the men's squad, but still not what we come to expect.

beach bum

Every time I watch a meet in Eugene it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful that city is.... They have kept the natural beauty so intact while growing to a city of 170K. They do such a good job of balancing the keeping nature/growth so well.

beach bum

Great job to Nikki in the 1500m with a good race strategy to kick in the last 200m and jump from 6th up to finish runner up.

beach bum

beach bum

USC literally just snatched the team title out of Georgia's hands at the last second....

AT

It was one of the most incredible meets I've ever watched in terms of team race.

RATTLER43

Assessment is on target.   Ladies should rebound well.  Not so certain with men.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas