• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In your opinion.....

Started by CoachF, September 07, 2016, 12:05:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachF

In your opinion, what would be the better of the following 2 routes to become a high school football coach? Option A is majoring in Physical Education and getting a minor in a second field such as Biology or History. Option B is majoring in Biology or History and attaching a coaching endorsement with it. I am asking for a relative that came to me and I didn't have a great answer as I am a student myself. He is currently enrolled as just a physical education major and I told him that it was hard finding a job as just a physical education major.

Also, if he stuck with the physical education major, would he have to minor in History or Biology to teach those or could he just take the correct tests to obtain the right license?

Any advice to pass along to him would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

beach bum

Get the Physical Ed degree then just get certified by taking the tests to be certified in other subjects or the middle school certification. Its the easiest route for you. The certification does the same thing as a tougher degree. Some say that is taking the easy way out, but it is the best way.

arthurhawgerelli

In my opinion, the way things are changing, if your relative enjoys Biology, get the degree in that.  Test out in PE.  Test out in History (although I've been told this is one of the toughest Praxis tests).  Tell him/her to make themselves marketable; unless your relative has some connections, it is better to be able to offer more.

Brian G

I would avoid a PE only type degree.

OB11

Quote from: B.G. on September 07, 2016, 02:35:40 pm
I would avoid a PE only type degree.

I would agree with that.  Unless you are super confident you can pass the Praxis test in other areas.  I've known some pretty smart guys that just couldn't seem to pass the test for other subject areas.

sevenof400

Science or math provides the best (most likely) course to a classroom.  Unless special education is an option....but coaching and special education rarely mix.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas