• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-3A Week 1

Started by CoolBreeze, September 05, 2019, 02:30:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolBreeze

Here are my picks for this week's games:

Cedar Ridge at Jessieville: Cedar Ridge lost last week to 2A Mount Ida, but the Lions do have a strong program, so that's not a clear indicator. However, last year CR played five games before canceling the season, defeating only hapless 2A Midland, and losing to Jessieville 44-0. This year looks to be more of the same.

Clinton at Heber Springs: These two teams play close most years and the series record stands virtually even over the last 17 years. Last year Clinton won at home by 2. I see this game as a virtual tossup. I'll take the home Panthers by 3.

Highland at Harding Academy: Last week HA's Wildcats blew out 4A Bald Knob 55-20 while 4A Highland was losing by a touchdown to a not particularly strong 2A McCrory team. Harding leads the series 4-1 and walloped the rebels last year 43-6. Look for a similar result on Friday.

Hector at Marshall: Last week, Marshall lost at Two Rivers to end the 2nd longest losing streak in the state. Last year the Wildcats shellacked the Bobcats Even a mediocre at best 2A team will be too much for the Bobcats. Could be another blowout.

Midland at Melbourne: Last year, Midland had their best season in years. They went 2-7, including a 40-14 home loss to the Bearkatz, likely that close only because it was Melbourne's opening game. They won't keep it that close this year on the road to an improved Melbourne team. The clock runs as the third quarter begins.

Salem at Mountain View: Much has been made on FF about the Yellowjackets 2-point win in Week 0 at Magnet Cove. But it remains to be seen whether they're enough improved over last year's 2-8 squad to defeat a quality 2A team like the Greyhounds. Salem by a touchdown.

Rose Bud at Marvell: The Lord only knows which of these woeful programs will prevail. The Ramblers suffered an embarrassing blowout last week at the hands of 2A Quitman, while the doormats of the 6-2A have won 2 games in the last 10 years. Yawn. I'll go with the Ramblers by a nose.

Yellville-Summit at Green Forest. Y-S downed GF last year by a touchdown. But this year they have a new offense and a green offensive line. Points may not come easy. Look for the GF's Tigers to hold off the Panthers by a touchdown or less.

What do you think?

panther07

I think besides the great Clinton/Heber match up, that's an absolutely abysmal lineup of football games.  I'll be checking in on Clinton/Heber as clock winds in second half of HA game. 

Very anxious to see how the Clinton and Heber game pans out.  I believe Heber has decided they were going to throw the football around a lot with the new coach in place.  Clinton has to replace a lot of production, but brings back a few very big OL.  I think Clinton gets them barely.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: panther07 on September 05, 2019, 02:55:40 pm
I think besides the great Clinton/Heber match up, that's an absolutely abysmal lineup of football games.  I'll be checking in on Clinton/Heber as clock winds in second half of HA game. 

Very anxious to see how the Clinton and Heber game pans out.  I believe Heber has decided they were going to throw the football around a lot with the new coach in place.  Clinton has to replace a lot of production, but brings back a few very big OL.  I think Clinton gets them barely.
Abysmal, huh? You get a lot of abysmal when you have Rose Bud, Marshall, and Cedar Ridge in the conference. Although the Mountainview/Salem game may be halfway decent. The abysmal factor could be reduced if some teams change their nonconference schedule. For example, what in the world is Midland doing on Melbourne's schedule? If they want to improve their program they need to schedule more challenging opponents and avoid the weak sisters who will give them an easy Week 1 win.

Also, Harding Academy might do well to replace Highland on their schedule, even though it's playing up to 4A competition, such as it is. Maybe a top-tier 3A program or mid-level 4A.

QBDad

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 05, 2019, 05:52:03 pm
Abysmal, huh? You get a lot of abysmal when you have Rose Bud, Marshall, and Cedar Ridge in the conference. Although the Mountainview/Salem game may be halfway decent. The abysmal factor could be reduced if some teams change their nonconference schedule. For example, what in the world is Midland doing on Melbourne's schedule? If they want to improve their program they need to schedule more challenging opponents and avoid the weak sisters who will give them an easy Week 1 win.

Also, Harding Academy might do well to replace Highland on their schedule, even though it's playing up to 4A competition, such as it is. Maybe a top-tier 3A program or mid-level 4A.
Melbourne used to start the season with Corning, Salem, and Cave City. Two years ago Charleston replaced Corning because the group we have now needed to be challenged in the preseason. Salem and Cave City are natural rivals for us because of location and although Melbourne has dominated both series, the games would always draw good crowds and were fun environments. Then Salem unexpectedly dropped us from their schedule.  Midland was available as a replacement.

panther07

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 05, 2019, 05:52:03 pm

Highland is out next cycle. Playing Charleston.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: panther07 on September 06, 2019, 12:23:31 am
Highland is out next cycle. Playing Charleston.
Great. If that continues, I expect that to be a challenging warmup for the conference schedule.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: QBDad on September 05, 2019, 08:11:25 pm
Melbourne used to start the season with Corning, Salem, and Cave City. Two years ago Charleston replaced Corning because the group we have now needed to be challenged in the preseason. Salem and Cave City are natural rivals for us because of location and although Melbourne has dominated both series, the games would always draw good crowds and were fun environments. Then Salem unexpectedly dropped us from their schedule.  Midland was available as a replacement.
Maybe Southside or Walnut Ridge would be a better choice, if available at sometime in the future. Should be more competitive. Even Corning would be an improvement. Apparently, they're becoming more competitive.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas