• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hardest places to play 1a

Started by Central Ark, September 02, 2016, 06:20:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Central Ark

What do you guys think is the hardest place to play. Personally when I played or have watched: Shirley (long bus ride, small gym), Wonderview (weird lighting, tough officiating, small locker rooms), Old guy gym (small one sided gym), Scotland (small gym, too small of a court with weird dimensions, long bus ride)

bluegrassboy75

On the early 90's the toughest place I ever played in was Mt. Judea. They were still in their small gym that was full every home game. Coach Cook would go up and turn the heater all the way up at the beginning of the Sr. Girls game and when it was time for the Sr. Boys game, it seemed like it was 100° in there. The Eagles would come out in hooded sweatshirts and sweat pants as their warm-ups and we we just came out in our uniform and was sweating during drills. I don't think they lost a home game for a number of years.

BeastieBoy13

redwolf99

I would have to say Guy and Wonderview

Oldref

Biggers-Reyno Back in the B school era. They also had one of the best concession stands in NEA. 80's and early 90's they were tough to beat there. Had a bench full of oldimers under the basket on the concession stand end that gave visiting teams and refs fits!!! Fun place to visit!!

Central Ark

I never played at Scotland but I remember my brother playing there. Scotland would get beat 30 on the road and then beat the same team 10 at home.

Warhawkpa80

I hear WSGF when boss was there. That was before they built the big fancy gym and put his name on it.

beach bum

September 07, 2016, 07:14:00 pm #7 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:49:01 pm by beach bum
This is a 1A topic, but I will throw a 4A school out there in Huntsville. When they have good teams you aren't winning there. It's too small of a gym for a 4A school and they fit as many people as can cram in there. I mainly just read the 1A board down here and don't post much here, but I love the passion you posters have about 1A basketball in general. I played at a 4A school where we went 24-8 and one of those 8 losses was a road game at a 1A school that year. We went in totally over confident and came out with a 2 point loss. Great crowd that night. We should have scheduled that one at home for sure!!

Central Ark

The old MVE gym was tough, especially in its last couple years when MVE was rolling.

Backboard Shattered

I watched my son play at Cotton Plant and it was awful

ErnestTBass

Take your pick put a blindfold on and any gym in the delta in the 70's and 80's. Brutal home court advantage and overwhelming athletes= Boss style beat downs!

Moonshiner

Hands down..... Deer. If you're a ref, and you don't homer for a Deer.....they'll keep you from getting out without harassing you. Western Grove even guarded one of the refs a couple years ago, because he was...."Deer's best player" .  You guys remember that?

Ice Water

Kingston, Kirby, Wonderview, Sacred Heart, ICC

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on September 07, 2016, 11:00:47 pm
Hands down..... Deer. If you're a ref, and you don't homer for a Deer.....they'll keep you from getting out without harassing you. Western Grove even guarded one of the refs a couple years ago, because he was...."Deer's best player" .  You guys remember that?

had a picture of that until my desktop bit the dust

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: Moonshiner on September 07, 2016, 11:00:47 pm

I played against some good Antler teams under Coach Jones.  But I still go with the old Judea gym.  I think Cook got the same two officials every home game until they retired...LOL

Moonshiner

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on September 09, 2016, 01:24:32 pm
I played against some good Antler teams under Coach Jones.  But I still go with the old Judea gym.  I think Cook got the same two officials every home game until they retired...LOL

Hard to disagree with that.  Ironic to see those two schools sharing a school board now.  Big rivalry there. Sadly, both campuses feeling the effects of years of being choked to death by a the state.

Pedro77

Plus Scotland had the best fan / manager .
Also was their town mayor, Jimmy Lindsey .
I believe is his name .

Central Ark

I don't know his name but i remember him.

ErnestTBass

Yes Jimmy Lindsey is his name!! Mainstay in Scotland basketball!!

Central Ark

I remember him calling for a technical every time an opposing coach got after a ref

BannerMountainMan

Ole Jimmy I talk to him every day, he's a hoot, he got banned from Clinton a few years back by the Clinton coach, he was rooting for Clinton but the coach was a jerk and I guess was just embarrassed by him.

TheOfficial

Try to get the ball down the floor on Kingston girls press at home.  Probably the smallest floor in the state.  It's also a rubber floor and it's worn thru to the concrete in places in the lane.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas