• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting

Started by arstatechamp13, March 06, 2016, 04:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arstatechamp13

March 06, 2016, 04:08:47 pm Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:14:08 pm by arstatechamp13
Alright guys this is getting ridiculous. Pretend you're a kid that plays for Jonesboro. You play about half a quarter per game as a role player. You know Bay is a good program right down the road and that you would be in the starting 5 or the 6th man. What would you do? It's not that hard to transfer schools. I don't blame the kids for moving to try and play for a ring. Bay is in a great spot. There's nothing we can do about Bay, Guy, or anyone else located outside towns with bigger schools. The reason your team lost a game is not because of recruiting. You lost because your team didn't score as many points as the other. There's no sense in the arguing and babyish excuses. It shouldn't come as a surprise when these teams are good. It's classless, unsportsmanlike, and looks terrible on the school you're from or that you support. It's not fair to just look past all the hardwork and dedication of these kids and the coaches and pull the recruiting card. It's not an excuse. I just had to say it. It's ridiculous. This is kids playing high school basketball. Enjoy it.

Moonshiner

I think as long as a kid makes that move on their own that there's nothing wrong with it. 
But let's pretend you're a kid attending a school and a Coach approaches, or sends a representative to recruit you.  Maybe even offers to rent a trailer to your family in the district so as to keep it "legal".  To me that is much different. And it happens.

PuddlePirate12

Now imagine you're a kid who worked your butt off since 7th grade. Every day of the year. Everyone on your team has been working with you just as long. Finally your year to really compete comes. A team gets a 40 ppg move in and you lose. Is it fair to those kids? No.. Is it their fault? According to you yes. They should've scored more? Maybe they should've went out and asked their friends from near by schools to come play with them too. There's no way to stop it but to say it's fair is incorrect. AAA doesn't care. They won't enforce anything. And if they ever do it'll be after the season. Trinity Christian recruited. You can go ask Tanner Hamilton. The only reason that's not a big deal is because they didn't compete with him. You're just asking to get ppl banned starting this topic though. It isn't fair to the schools that don't get move ins. Of course the ones who do will say it's fair

Moonshiner

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 06, 2016, 04:27:59 pm
Now imagine you're a kid who worked your butt off since 7th grade. Every day of the year. Everyone on your team has been working with you just as long. Finally your year to really compete comes. A team gets a 40 ppg move in and you lose. Is it fair to those kids? No.. Is it their fault? According to you yes. They should've scored more? Maybe they should've went out and asked their friends from near by schools to come play with them too. There's no way to stop it but to say it's fair is incorrect. AAA doesn't care. They won't enforce anything. And if they ever do it'll be after the season. Trinity Christian recruited. You can go ask Tanner Hamilton. The only reason that's not a big deal is because they didn't compete with him. You're just asking to get ppl banned starting this topic though. It isn't fair to the schools that don't get move ins. Of course the ones who do will say it's fair

Great post.  The last two sentences are very true.

arstatechamp13

First of all, I've never had a move in. I was on very good teams as well. I had a very good coach and a team that worked very hard. If you're afraid of getting replaced, work harder. Show your coach why you deserve to play. As for the legit recruiting, I really don't believe it. You can say what you want about it. I'm not saying it's right, but if it actually happens, it's always been that way. Just deal with it. Get better. I've lost to Bay, I've also beaten Bay, I've blown out Guy Perkins. I just think the recruitment card and the officiating card has been pulled enough times. It's excuses

Thechosen1

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on March 06, 2016, 04:40:44 pm
First of all, I've never had a move in. I was on very good teams as well. I had a very good coach and a team that worked very hard. If you're afraid of getting replaced, work harder. Show your coach why you deserve to play. As for the legit recruiting, I really don't believe it. You can say what you want about it. I'm not saying it's right, but if it actually happens, it's always been that way. Just deal with it. Get better. I've lost to Bay, I've also beaten Bay, I've blown out Guy Perkins. I just think the recruitment card and the officiating card has been pulled enough times. It's excuses
+1

Moonshiner

The scenario I gave does happen in a small community close to Conway. All you have to do is talk to the right people.
Lots of kids and coaches bust their tails 12 months out of the year to be the best they can and have that one special year.  Then there are a few schools that are somehow good every single year.  Maybe they are blessed with an abundance of talent.  Or maybe there's a magical potion they put in the water. 

PuddlePirate12

No it's fact. Bay doesn't have Watson last year they lose @ Emerson and unless someone else steps up, and they very well could have, they lose @ summit. Emerson lost by 27. Take away Watsons 44(?) they're up by 17. McFadden may have scored 18. But atleast that way they won it without a 1 year move in. I don't blame Watson. If you don't think you can win at whatever school you're at, and you can be an asset to a winning team why not do it. Just because it's legal in AAA doesn't mean it's fair. It's fair to the move in and the 10-15 players on his team. It's unfair to the 51 other 1a teams and the 10-15 players on each of those teams

PuddlePirate12

If you're good every year like CL that's one thing. I've never heard of them having a move in. Of course they have but not like a Watson or Ballard. I mean either of those kids could prolly start for Bentonville. Why go to a 1a school?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 06, 2016, 04:51:49 pm
If you're good every year like CL that's one thing. I've never heard of them having a move in. Of course they have but not like a Watson or Ballard. I mean either of those kids could prolly start for Bentonville. Why go to a 1a school?

Take monk off of bentonvilke, and bay, Emerson, guy, Kirby and county line could beat them

yesteryearman

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 06, 2016, 04:50:02 pm
No it's fact. Bay doesn't have Watson last year they lose @ Emerson and unless someone else steps up, and they very well could have, they lose @ summit. Emerson lost by 27. Take away Watsons 44(?) they're up by 17. McFadden may have scored 18. But atleast that way they won it without a 1 year move in. I don't blame Watson. If you don't think you can win at whatever school you're at, and you can be an asset to a winning team why not do it. Just because it's legal in AAA doesn't mean it's fair. It's fair to the move in and the 10-15 players on his team. It's unfair to the 51 other 1a teams and the 10-15 players on each of those teams

I said I wouldn't say anymore on the topic, but just can't help it.  All of this is interesting reading and concepts, and I believe that some form of recruiting goes on, and has probably gone on for ever.  As far as it's effect on what happens at 5:15 on Friday, there will be none.  Both Bay and Emerson will be playing kids who came up thru their programs.  Whichever team plays better will win.  The playing field, as far as I can tell, is level.  Man up, Emerson vs Bay.

HorseFeathers

So all move ins should be ineligible? Btw, Watson Followed his brother to Bay, just like he followed him to Maynard from hoxie

WhatsUrRingSize

March 06, 2016, 05:01:10 pm #12 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:03:31 pm by WhatsUrRingSize
This is all I'm gonna say about this Watson had 40 I agree and he was a great player but what's your not taking into consideration is someone else would've got all of his shots prob wouldn't  have  made what he did but even if they make half Bay still wins and Friday if Bay wins y'all stop crying over Watson moving to Bay

HorseFeathers

Quote from: WhatsUrRingSize on March 06, 2016, 05:01:10 pm
This is all I'm gonna say about this Watson had 40 I agree and he was a great player but what's your not taking into consideration is someone else would've got all of his shots prob wouldn't  have  made what he did but even if they make half Bay still wins and Friday if Bay wins y'all stop crying over Watson moving to Bay

Heh....I don't think bay has anyone that would make emerson look that bad this year...i may be wrong but Watson would have put up 100 that night if he would have had to...

Moonshiner

I expect a pretty good ball game this year.  No excuses and no asterisk.

yesteryearman

Quote from: HF on March 06, 2016, 05:06:47 pm
Heh....I don't think bay has anyone that would make emerson look that bad this year...i may be wrong but Watson would have put up 100 that night if he would have had to...

Watson would have made any team that played in Hot Springs on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday of last year look bad.

audiogirl

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 06, 2016, 04:23:22 pm
I think as long as a kid makes that move on their own that there's nothing wrong with it. 
But let's pretend you're a kid attending a school and a Coach approaches, or sends a representative to recruit you.  Maybe even offers to rent a trailer to your family in the district so as to keep it "legal".  To me that is much different. And it happens.
[/quote

Here's a couple for ya: 6'2" powerhouse changes schools 7 miles away and her stepdad gets the coaching job.  OR the exchange students who happen to be 6'5" and have played all of their lives.

Moonshiner

You're talking about an Izard County School

PuddlePirate12

You take away Watson from last years Bay team you lose more than his scoring. Everytime down the court 2-3 people had to try to contain him. They wouldn't have to do that with McFadden. Yeah someone else would've shot his shots but they wouldn't have been left wide open due to the fact everyone was trying to get a hand in watsons face.

Catfish

I think recruiting goes on in a lot of places. But in a lot cases the coach or any of the staff have nothing to do with it. Most kids just happen to be friends and want to play together. Do I think that's the case with guy this year or in some years past? Umm I don't know. There's just been to long of a history there with recruiting and what not. And some with Bay a few years back. But hey if Triple A isn't going to do anything then why not I guess? I don't agree with recruiting in high school in ANY way. But it happens year after year and nothing is done. Most of the time it's in bigger schools, but a few programs in the lower divisions do it too. If a good player moves in then great!! But I do not think a coach should have ANY involvement in that. But the team we are talking about is sitting at home while two teams that have had a great year are playing Friday night. So good luck to Bay and Emerson! May the best team win!

Thechosen1

The problem is it was last year and you can't go back... Bay has gotten better and so has Emerson I'm sure. However bay was supposed to play Emerson at bay and return the favor earlier in the year for bay driving all the way to Emerson last year and they didn't want to play.

Head Lion

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 06, 2016, 04:49:25 pm
The scenario I gave does happen in a small community close to Conway. All you have to do is talk to the right people.
Lots of kids and coaches bust their tails 12 months out of the year to be the best they can and have that one special year.  Then there are a few schools that are somehow good every single year.  Maybe they are blessed with an abundance of talent.  Or maybe there's a magical potion they put in the water.
+1, Sad but to true

arstatechamp13

IMO good coaches have good teams every year. I honestly do believe some areas have more basketball genes in them. When was the last time WSGF wasn't floating around in the conversation? Concord just made it to the tournament 7 years in a row with 2 or 3 completely different playing styles depending on the roster. MVE is always a scary regional draw. Some areas just have talent. Some are more prone to move-ins because of location. This has been going on since basketball began. Recruiting or not, this is how it is. And I'm not beating on the individual programs because I do understand about the kids that are faithful getting to play. I'm just talking about the excuse. People aren't getting on here and complaining about their own program and wishing their hometown kids get to play. It's the opposing teams that want to whine about it.

PuddlePirate12

I wish Roark had left concord and played for another 1a school lol you may feel differently

Catfish

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 06, 2016, 09:11:44 pm
I wish Roark had left concord and played for another 1a school lol you may feel differently

He wouldn't have. No matter if they were bad or not. He has purple and gold in his  veins. His family is there, his friends, everyone. Just trust me.. He wouldn't have left. Lol

bbfan89

Sounds like a certain small school near Jonesboro has a bumper crop of one and dones coming in next year. Someone who would most likely know said three very talented seniors to be are headed to a new school next year, and yeas I to believe that it is unfair to the homegrown kids when a kid comes in and takes your playing time.

Moonshiner

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 06, 2016, 09:44:07 pm
Sounds like a certain small school near Jonesboro has a bumper crop of one and dones coming in next year. Someone who would most likely know said three very talented seniors to be are headed to a new school next year, and yeas I to believe that it is unfair to the homegrown kids when a kid comes in and takes your playing time.

Small town Arkansas version of Calipari and Kentucky?

21-4-3

Valid or not the entire "recruiting" argument makes the person or people using it seem small. I don't remember the year, late mid to late 90's but there was a situation where a team had an exceptional player transfer spend
his entire basketball career with them and then, for his senior year, transfer a few miles down the road to a team in their conference. Kid could go for 20 a night with his eyes closed. The team that lost him could've whined and cried about it. Especially considering the team he went to was in their conference. They didn't. They simply beat that team, with that kid, in I believe, district finals and then, if memory serves me right, finish by going to state finals and finishing as runner up while that kid and the team he went to sat home or watched from the stands. The team that didn't whine or cry about losing the kid and just went about the business of having an amazing season and also always seems to be the center of every recruiting discussion, is Bay.

Thechosen1

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 06, 2016, 09:44:07 pm
I have heard rumors of #22 kid and #0 real good player from cross county are wanting to move into bay bc they wanna be in a good program. No clue how much of that is true but you cannot hate a school for kids moving into the district wanting to play for a good team, there's no way we'd say to no them and no one else would either.

bluegrassboy75

It's funny that private school transfers have to sit out a year if they come in after the start of their 7th grade year, but that rule does not exist for public schools. Maybe it should, this includes move ins.

BoxNOne

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 06, 2016, 11:05:47 pm
It's funny that private school transfers have to sit out a year if they come in after the start of their 7th grade year, but that rule does not exist for public schools. Maybe it should, this includes move ins.

No doubt that rule would stop the moving around or whatever you want to call it dead in it's tracks.

RedWolf275

There is a team playing for the 2A state championship Thursday who have three starters that have "moved in" during the last two years. It's not just Bay or Guy or any number of other teams. It's happening in a lot of places. As long as AAA is deeming it legal it is just going to escalate. My view is that it is legal and if you want to win you better keep up with your neighbors or you will be left behind.

riccoar

Exactly.  This should be applied to public as well.  In the case of Guy, I don't think you can call it sore losers complaining.  There is a history there with it happening.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 07, 2016, 08:43:23 am
There is a team playing for the 2A state championship Thursday who have three starters that have "moved in" during the last two years. It's not just Bay or Guy or any number of other teams. It's happening in a lot of places. As long as AAA is deeming it legal it is just going to escalate. My view is that it is legal and if you want to win you better keep up with your neighbors or you will be left behind.

Which one?

RedWolf275

Moonshiner

Buddy of mine used to coach in another state.  He remarked at how much moving around happens in Arkansas.

21-4-3

Quote from: riccoar on March 07, 2016, 08:55:01 am
Exactly.  This should be applied to public as well.  In the case of Guy, I don't think you can call it sore losers complaining.  There is a history there with it happening.

What is Guys complaint?

RTF

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 07, 2016, 10:19:25 am
Buddy of mine used to coach in another state.  He remarked at how much moving around happens in Arkansas.

Gotta find that state title somewhere.

riccoar

Quote from: 21-4-3 on March 07, 2016, 10:33:57 am
What is Guys complaint?
Meaning people are not targeting Guy as a recruiter because they are sore for losing to them.  They point out the recruiting there because there is a pattern that has been happening for years.

PuddlePirate12

If I kid transfers schools in September he has to sit out that entire basketball season, correct? He should also have to sit out if he transfers in June or whenever. When kids transferred to Emerson they always had to sit out (supposedly because of AAA) to prevent everyone from switching schools to benefit themselves in athletics. Yeah it may be unfair to that one kid. And you could even make a case that it's unfair to the school he moved to (it's not in my eyes because they would've been without him had he not moved anyway). But it comes down to are you gonna be fair to that one school/player or fair to all the other schools in that classification.

Moonshiner

Supposed to be a bonafide move into the district.  Has to be within first 11 days of the semester, I think.  Might be wrong on that.  School choice deadline is in May.

PuddlePirate12

Yeah. I did school choice to stay at the school I had gone to since 7th grade after I moved out of the district. But I know #22 that plays for Emerson now had to sit out last year after moving back into the district

Jonnyboy1215

I had to sit out my freshman year due to this rule, and I can't say I necessarily agree with it, but I see why they would enforce it. I came from a small jr. High school in Texas which did not have a highschool, so I had to choose between the high schools in town. I ended up going to Trinity just to find out I would have to sit out a year even though I had no choice but to change schools. So i feel like situations like mine would be the only time that this rule is "unfair", but for simple recruitment purposes, I'd have to agree with this completely. It definitely keeps kids from transfering for wrong reasons, but in some cases the kids don't have a choice and that doesn't seem fair to me. It is what it is though.

BoxNOne

Quote from: Thechosen1 on March 06, 2016, 10:12:12 pm
I have heard rumors of #22 kid and #0 real good player from cross county are wanting to move into bay bc they wanna be in a good program. No clue how much of that is true but you cannot hate a school for kids moving into the district wanting to play for a good team, there's no way we'd say to no them and no one else would either.

I thought #22 was the Cross County coaches son.

Thechosen1

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 07, 2016, 03:46:55 pm
I thought #22 was the Cross County coaches son.
He is, heard CC coach wants to stop coaching after this year.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 07, 2016, 09:34:38 am
That would be EPC
Its happening everywhere for sure. As long as its done properly then not much anyone can do. Kids are wanting to go where they can win.

On our our other teams I believe all those kids were from the area. Only Studivant transferred in when Turrell shut down.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Thechosen1 on March 07, 2016, 04:16:05 pm
He is, heard CC coach wants to stop coaching after this year.
That may happen but I dont see 0 going to Bay. They dont play football.

bdubyab60

Unless hes not gonna play football anymore.

RedWolf275

He looks like he would be tuff on the grid iron. Big kid and he can move.

bdubyab60

Plays TE/DE for them I believe.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas