• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 3A State Championship(BOYS): Episcopal Collegiate vs. Charleston(VOTE)

Started by Brian G, March 11, 2014, 05:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Episcopal Coll
67 (63.8%)
Charleston
38 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: March 14, 2014, 06:55:38 pm

Brian G

More to come.

Game will be Fri or Sat and will announced on Wed around noon.

neds

WPWells

This is the matchup everyone has been wanting all year! This is the third straight year these two have met in the state tournament. Charleston won in 2012 en route to a state runner-up and ECS won in 2013 en route to their own state runner-up. Both matchups came in the quarterfinals. Now this one is for all the marbles. Neither school has ever won a state championship in boys basketball. For one of them that will change this weekend!

I'm going to go with my Tigers by 5

BananaHands501

We have predicted this all season. Rematch from last year. Charleston  seems to have struggled against 3a-5 opponents using Ward to bail them out. Going to be a lot of fun to watch. To me this is ECS biggest test since NLR.

WPWells

This will be the best team Charleston has played all year and probably the second best team ECS has played

cdelaney

Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 11, 2014, 06:59:02 pm
We have predicted this all season. Rematch from last year. Charleston  seems to have struggled against 3a-5 opponents using Ward to bail them out. Going to be a lot of fun to watch. To me this is ECS biggest test since NLR.
Saying Ward bails them out is like saying Lebron bails out the Heat! He's their best player and I think the best offensive player in 3A. He is doing what he does. He will get his 25+ vs ECS. ECS has to outscore the rest of the team to win. And shoot FTs better than today!

centralarfan

johnharrison

WildcatGrandpa13

Great matchup that everyone has been waiting for all year! I cannot wait to find out when it is! Honestly, this is a tough game to call. Because of J.P. Perry's history of scoring on ECS, I believe Matthew Ward has the potential to have a game; however, I don't know if he will be able to overcome the tough pressure defense. I will go with ECS by 7, Go Cats!

Paperman

urban legend2

Have seen Charleston twice this season, saw Episcopal four times...I'd have to go with Episcopal by at least 10. But to be quite honest, how the game is called may determine what and how itunfolds. Ward's Charleston big scorer, and they rely on him a lot. Episcopal doesn't necessarily have to rely as much on one guy to do a lot of the heavy lifting because they've got three that can. So it is going to be interesting to see how they deal with that. Should be a good game. Good luck to both.

BananaHands501

Quote from: cdelaney on March 11, 2014, 07:16:54 pm
Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 11, 2014, 06:59:02 pm
Saying Ward bails them out is like saying Lebron bails out the Heat! He's their best player and I think the best offensive player in 3A. He is doing what he does. He will get his 25+ vs ECS. ECS has to outscore the rest of the team to win. And shoot FTs better than today!

Certainly - Martin struggled today from the line, which is uncharacteristic. I think ECS has been in the bonus in the first quarter in all three state games, so they have had a lot of practice at the free throw line.

BananaHands501

WildcatGrandpa13

unleasheddad

johnharrison

what in the world will the times be announced tomorrow?

Is the AAA unsure whether 7A or 9A is playing?
Why don't they have a schedule in place in September?

Because I'm pretty darned sure you don't SEED 3A and 2A.......seems like just poor planning................typical   AAA

BananaHands501

WildcatGrandpa13

Brian G

Quote from: johnharrison on March 11, 2014, 09:21:24 pm

Because I'm pretty darned sure you don't SEED 3A and 2A.......seems like just poor planning................typical   AAA
It's been this way for several years.  They try to stagger crowds and hotels based on crowd expectation.  They also try to accommodate special needs that a school might have.

I'm not a real fan of it, but I've become used to it.  This years weather has made the time frame pretty tight though.  Typically they meet on Sunday and "draw". 

As I stated in the first post, Thursday is going to be 4A and 7A as those four ended a day earlier and it was only proper to have them play Thursday so the other schools that finished today had until Friday or Saturday.

BananaHands501

"I've fallen and I can't get up" Go press your Life Alert. Gramps.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 11, 2014, 09:36:35 pm
"I've fallen and I can't get up" Go press your Life Alert. Gramps.
What happened to this generation? So disrespectful to their elders...

BananaHands501

johnharrison

Quote from: B.G. on March 11, 2014, 09:31:42 pm

It's been this way for several years.  They try to stagger crowds and hotels based on crowd expectation.  They also try to accommodate special needs that a school might have.

I'm not a real fan of it, but I've become used to it.  This years weather has made the time frame pretty tight though.  Typically they meet on Sunday and "draw". 

As I stated in the first post, Thursday is going to be 4A and 7A as those four ended a day earlier and it was only proper to have them play Thursday so the other schools that finished today had until Friday or Saturday.

Sounds stupid.

I would think it would be better to know 6 months ahead of time that the 3A mens final was at 2pm Saturday, and the 2A Women was to follow.  How does finding out at noon Wednesday that you have a 8pm Saturday game HELP you get a hotel room.

Dumb.

TeeLee

Does anyone know if this is horse racing season in Hot Springs?  That will probably determine if I go to the finals.  I'll not go and fight those crowds.

jr17

cdelaney
The best offensive player in 3A?? I think that's arguable. Martin and Robinson are just as good as Ward and have played the tougher schedule. ECS rolls by 10+!! 

Hogwild#9

Should be a great game! I will be there for sure!! Taking Chucktown by 4.

-Painted Fan-

Quote from: Paperman on March 11, 2014, 08:12:07 pm
ANYBODY EXCEPT CHARLESTON IS THE CHANT IN MISSISSIPPI COUNTY!
You guys really hate us that badly? Still butt-hurt over Charleston hosting the State Tournament, I guess?

ISU7

Maybe because the weather push the state tourney behind schedule, REMEMBER..... ???

ISU7

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on March 12, 2014, 07:37:33 am
Quote from: Paperman on March 11, 2014, 08:12:07 pm
ANYBODY EXCEPT CHARLESTON IS THE CHANT IN MISSISSIPPI COUNTY!
You guys really hate us that badly? Still butt-hurt over Charleston hosting the State Tournament, I guess?
Im from RiverCrest and i say go Tigers!!!!! It's not everyone.. 8)

BoxNOne

Just saying, the private schools have dominated 3A this year with three out of four in finals.

WPWells

BananaHands501

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 12, 2014, 08:28:08 am
Just saying, the private schools have dominated 3A this year with three out of four in finals.

Just asking. Why does it matter?

cdelaney

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 12, 2014, 08:28:08 am
EStem is not private. Public charter school

BoxNOne

Thanks for correction. What exactly is a public charter school. Sounds like they are funded by taxpayers but who are their students?

cdelaney

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 12, 2014, 09:15:07 am
Thanks for correction. What exactly is a public charter school. Sounds like they are funded by taxpayers but who are their students?
taxpayer funded, but their "charter" defines their administrative relationship to school district. They have their own rules and policies.

BoxNOne

bigbuckb

It's going to be a boring game. ECS by 20 or more. It will depend on how bad ECS wants to embarrass Charleston. Charleston didn't earn this spot they should have lost to Mayflower and BHG. It's completely unethical to allow a team in the tourney to host it. It is painfully obvious that Carlesston was goin to the ship from the day they were granted the bid to host the tourney. I'm not a sore loser. I'm just being completely honest. ECS will prove my point when the whole state sees just how our matched Charleston is against a great team.

punisher

You come off not only as a pathetic loser, but as a complete jerk.  The refs did not make one basket in any of the contests.  To say that a team which makes it to the state championship game is not a "great" team shows everyone just how knowledgeable of a basketball talent evaluator you are.  Just stop. 

WPWells

So almost this exact same Charleston team only lost to almost this exact same ECS team by 2 last year on a neutral court but now suddenly ECS will embarrass Charleston? Please get off now. Your team lost. Move on, I guess the refs scored all 70+ of Matthew Ward's points the past two nights too? And for the record, the first time you posted that the refs were changing the game last night, I checked the stats and Burchfield had two fouls and Smith for Charleston had 4. It was obvious to everyone there (except for possibly you) that Charleston was the better team last night

For the record, I predict Charleston to win but I also think it will be an awesome game. I'm not going to be a jerk and say that Charleston will embarrass ECS because if I did I'd be lying

-Painted Fan-

I was at the tournament every day.
I have been hearing about the "Charleston refs" for the past month. So I decided to do a little research. I was asking some of the refs where they were from.
You won't believe where the one lives that is closest to Charleston.
Try Scranton- an hour away from Charleston!

IndependentFootballFan

Head Lion

Quote from: bigbuckb on March 12, 2014, 10:35:19 am
It's going to be a boring game. ECS by 20 or more. It will depend on how bad ECS wants to embarrass Charleston. Charleston didn't earn this spot they should have lost to Mayflower and BHG. It's completely unethical to allow a team in the tourney to host it. It is painfully obvious that Carlesston was goin to the ship from the day they were granted the bid to host the tourney. I'm not a sore loser. I'm just being completely honest. ECS will prove my point when the whole state sees just how our matched Charleston is against a great team.
I personally knew 11 of the 12 working the tournament. They could care less who won, my team lost and it wasnt because of refs. It was because of lack of execution. Your statement have not one ounce of merit. I believe it will be a dang good game. Best of luck to both teams, the 2 best are in the finals. to the palyers, stay healthy and enjoy it, should be a moment you never forget.

AnotherTurfMonkey

Here we go again!
:-\  Cry me a river!
Shoulda coulda woulda!
The refs this, the refs that!
Whaaaa , whaaaa , whaaaa!

ChucktownCPA

Punisher and 12th Man CHS, this post was so pathetic, it did not deserve a response.

Charleston is used to being accused of cheating to win. We should rise above it and ignore those types of posts while we continue to win Conference, Regional, and even State Championships. We are a sports oriented town but there are many of us that believe academics are also important. In 2012 I was watching the local news make a big deal over a girl in Fayetteville making a perfect score of 36 on the ACT. In 2013, a Charleston student(and FF poster) made a 36 but I never saw a news story about it.  We like to do great things in Charleston and yes, we have people who embarrass us with posts on here but overall, we like to win and most of us make an attempt to be intelligent. Call us cheaters, unethical, snobs, or whatever makes you feel better because we will continue to roll despite it.  BTW - If bigbuckb is a Mayflower fan, I recall we gave Mayflower the props in 2008 after the football season ended. After EVERYONE in the state was watching Ft Lake order their championship rings only to see Charleston beat them by 27 points, it was pointed out by many Charleston fans that Mayflower was the toughest opponent  that year.  See, it's not that hard to say something nice.

bigbuckb

I have heard allot about the Charleston politics but didn't give it any merit because I've never witnessed it. But I have now!! No one in that area likes Charleston. People I've never met told countless stories of the arrogance of the school and the community. Wow! Lots of
Drama up there!! Glad I am far removed from that!! I'm neither a jerk or a loser. I have been around basketball for over 30 years. It is what it is. And even the administrator of this pidly little thread is biased. I don't care if you block me. This is my last post  it's highschool sports. It's not a life shattering community achievements to hang signs on how many championships the school has won but the reflection of the community should be how it serves the people living there and visitors. Charleston is hated by everyone but te people hanging the signs. Pathetic and reprehensible.

BananaHands501

The only sport ECS will embarrass Charleston in is quiz bowl. Maybe golf and tennis.

WPWells

Just saying, an ECS-Charleston quiz bowl match would be awesome

DeeGee

Congrats Charleston! Hope you guys win a 2nd State Championship this school year. And I hear it's gonna be in Hot Springs???? Right down the road!!! May come watch y'all. Again congrats on the State football game against us as well. Your boys played well. Seeing as how you all beat us in Dec and ECS is joining our conference next year, this shall be interesting

BananaHands501

WildcatGrandpa13

I try to support my 3A-5 posters, but I can't side with big buck on this one. Let's all face it: Referees on all levels will make mistakes; referees are human beings and sometimes they don't see things others do. Saying referees blow the game is a classic excuse for a loss. Hold your head up high, and be proud of what your team accomplished rather than bringing down the team that ended your great little run. Celebrate the year, don't bash the referees!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas