• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLASS 3A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE

Started by BarclayAlmanac, December 09, 2014, 12:27:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

December 09, 2014, 12:27:11 pm Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:54:49 pm by BarclayAlmanac
CLASS 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Friday, December 12, 7 p.m., War Memorial Stadium
CHARLESTON VS SMACKOVER

CHARLESTON TIGERS (13-0)
HEAD COACH: Greg Kendrick
(28-0 at Charleston and as head coach)
Playoff appearances: 32
Playoff record: 55-27
State championships: (4) 2013, 2011, 2008, 2005
State championship games: (6)
2013 defeated Glen Rose, 42-19
2011 defeated Barton, 31-20
2008 defeated Fountain Lake, 51-20
2005 defeated Dierks, 22-9
2004 lost to Rison, 30-15
FEARLESS FACTS: Kendrick is in his second year as a head coach after being elevated after Doug Loughridge left to go to Alma. ... Kendrick is a Van Buren native and played on the 1996 state championship team. ... Kendrick was also an assistant on Charleston's 2011 state championship team and Greenwood's 2005 and 2006 state championship teams. ... The Tigers set a record with their second-round playoff win, marking the 20th straight season with at least one playoff win which breaks Barton's record of 19 straight set from 1985 through 2003 ... Charleston is one of just 12 teams in the state with at least 50 playoff wins in the modern playoff era, which began in 1968. ... Receiver Taylor King has caught 104 passes for 1,458 yards and 16 touchdowns this season and is the team's all-time leading receiver with 238 receptions for 3,238 and 35 touchdowns. ... Charleston quarterback Ty Storey has completed 269 of 407 passes for 3,944 yards and 50 touchdowns this season. ... In his career, he's completed 876 of 1,330 passes for 12,638 yards (which ranks 12th nationally) and 151 touchdowns (which ranks 13th nationally). ...

SMACKOVER BUCKAROOS (13-1)
HEAD COACH: Brian Strickland
(38-23 overall and at Smackover)
Playoff appearances: 24
Playoff record: 23-23
State championships: (3) 1949, 1943, 1940
State championship games: (1)
FEARLESS FACTS: Strickland is a Smackover native. ... Smackover lost only three seniors off last year's 12-2 team and was aided with an influx of players from Norphlet, which voluntarily annexed with Smackover. ... The Buckaroos' 18-12 win against Little Rock Episcopal last week was their first semifinal win in the modern playoff era. ... Smackover won their only official state championship in the abbreviated playoff era in 1949 with a 14-7 win over Subiaco Academy. ...  Smackover claimed a state title in 1940, going undefeated with star Clyde Scott, and in 1943, again going undefeated, with both teams being coached by Clell Burnett, who was selected to the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 1995 and father of Razorbacks Bobby, Tommy and Bill Burnett. ... Receiver Jordan Jones, a 6-3 junior, has verbally committed to play for the Arkansas Razorbacks. ... Smackover's lone loss is to Class 2A championship game participant and undefeated Junction City, 33-19, after being tied at the half, 12-12. ... Quarterback Logan Clark has thrown for 1,682 yards and 23 touchdowns. ... Fullback Willie Manning has rushed for 11 touchdowns while Keiandre Purifoy has 10 and Dwayne Jones 13. ... Smackover has also returned three punts for touchdowns, three fumbles for scores, an interception for a touchdown, and a blocked punt for a tally.

WPWells

A couple of things:

Coach Kendrick is 28-0 (although he'll be 29-0 after Friday)
Charleston has played for state 5 times, not 6 (unless you're counting this year)

Headhunter15

its not dwayne jones its jordan jones  ???

-Painted Fan-

Charleston vs. Fountain Lake score was 47-20.

RTF

Watchout Barclay.... Charleston posters will correct you in a heartbeat (the school's sports is literally all that town has).

WPWells

Just because we enjoy sports and are trying to help Mr. Barclay get his facts correct doesn't mean that's all we have. Get a life

-Painted Fan-

You obviously know zilch about Charleston.
Who was the first integrated school system- not just in Arkansas- but the entire South (3 years before Little Rock Central)?
Charleston is home to former Arkansas Governor Dale Bumpers, and has a street named after him.
Charleston Public Schools have been around for more than 115 years.
Charleston is home to doctors, lawyers, and even a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

WPWells

Jabali

December 09, 2014, 07:25:49 pm #8 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:30:40 pm by Jabali
Also a realy good bull rider. Denny Flynn

WPWells

Former professional rodeo clown: Cody Sosebee

-Painted Fan-

Oh I left out a lot.
I guess it's somehow a crime to be proud of where you live.
I've lived a lot of places:
Fort Worth, Texas
Prairie Grove
Fayetteville
Fort Smith
Harrison
Gentry
Livingston, California
Columbia, South Carolina
Bolivar, Missouri
Fayetteville is a nice town, as is Prairie Grove.
Fort Worth is a nice place to visit on vacation, but wouldn't live there again if you paid me.
There's just something about small town life.
I've lived in Charleston half my life. It's my "Home Town", even if I never attended school here, or grew up here.
I love it here. It's HOME.

Jabali

Jerry Mac, father to a couple of Bearcats, grandfather to a couple of Tigers.

YC

Quote from: Jabali on December 09, 2014, 07:54:51 pm
Jerry Mac, father to a couple of Bearcats, grandfather to a couple of Tigers.

Actually a couple sons and a grandson that played for the Bearcats. Three grandsons for the Tigers with the youngest being on this year's team. Also a granddaughter that played for the Lady Tigers a few years back.

I guess you know about Jerry's accident. If you don't and are interested send me a PM and I will fill you in about it.   

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 09, 2014, 07:37:08 pm
Former professional rodeo clown: Cody Sosebee

Heck I can not believe ya"ll did not mention Denny Flynn........I remember him from back in my day.......crap I'm gettin old .

Denny Flynn, Charleston Arkansas. Denny scored 98 points on Steiner Rodeo Company's Red Lightning, the '78 PRCA Bucking Bull of the Year at Palestine Illinois in 1979. The Arkansas native qualified for the National Finals Rodeo in the bull riding 10 times. He was runner-up to the PRCA world title in '76, '78, and '80, as well as second runner-up for the bull riding crown in '77, '79, and '81. Denny also set another record in his bull riding career by winning the NFR Bull Riding average 3 times in the years '75, '81, and '82.

BarclayAlmanac

headhunter 15; running back dwayne jones (#5) has rushed for 816 yards and 13 touchdowns while 6-3 receiver jordan jones (#10) has caught 28 passes for 681 yards and nine touchdowns.

Proud Buckaroo

He's saying you have Dewayne as the 6'3" who is comitted to Arkansas. It's Jordan that is comitted.

RTF

All those people Painted Fan spent more time outside of Charleston then in it.... again not much of a town... but congrats to the school on not being racist......

WPWells

You're a pitiful little man who gets some kind of sadistic pleasure from bashing a good town. 12th Man feels sorry for you.

-Painted Fan-

False.
I've lived in Charleston for the past 23 years (almost half my life).
23 years in one place,  compared to all those other places combined.
You should really check facts before posting. You're embarrassing yourself.

RTF

-Painted Fan-

I'm a proud resident of Charleston.
That's enough for me.

RTF

Well someone told me it was a town.....

Granny4two

Quote from: RTF on December 09, 2014, 03:32:24 pm
Watchout Barclay.... Charleston posters will correct you in a heartbeat (the school's sports is literally all that town has).

You need to check test scores!  Charleston scores pretty high on those, also!! 

RTF

lol not exactlly... I already posted evidence of that in another thread.

Lions84

unleasheddad

Quote from: RTF on December 12, 2014, 10:08:46 am
lol not exactlly... I already posted evidence of that in another thread.
Actually, Charleston is ranked in the top 20% in the State in Test Scores. You had better get your facts up to date.

Suzuki Libation Nation

Don't forget former Razorback and Washington Redskin kicker Steve Cox.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas