• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite book of the Bible

Started by DB, April 20, 2009, 09:04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DB

Mine would be John's Gospel.

It challenges us to determine whether we believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of Jehoviah God, God incarnate or if he was a prophet.

Quite Frankly

Texarkana_Piggie

Ty

True Believer

SMC

Leviticus.

Just kidding.

I say Romans.

The Reality is back...

Uncle Ivan

johnharrison

Wampus_Cat

johnharrison

neafbfan

In my early christian walk it was John, but now it seems Acts takes on a whle new meaning with it's transition from the Jewish church to to the universal. But overall with the parabolic teachings the such as the Beatitudes, the enormous proofs of the resurrections and the proclamation of "Thou art the Christ.", it has to be Matthew.

Wahls

Don Quixote

DB

Quote from: neafbfan on April 23, 2009, 06:51:20 amand the proclamation of "Thou art the Christ.".

So I'm curious.  What is it about that scripture/setting/proclamation intrigues you?

Eddie Goodson

Isaiah, or as it refered to by many scholars, the Gospel According to Isaiah.

neafbfan

Quote from: DB on April 24, 2009, 12:56:39 pm
Quote from: neafbfan on April 23, 2009, 06:51:20 amand the proclamation of "Thou art the Christ.".
So I'm curious.  What is it about that scripture/setting/proclamation intrigues you?

Actually, it's the entire conversation that Christ is having w/ his disciples at this point when the proclamation is made. The second part of that statement, Son of the living God illustrates that Jesus was God and man. Something so unfathomable that many even with in the early church and some "cults" struggle w/ today. Personally, the forgiveness of the thief on the cross and the conversion of the apostle Paul nails the point (no pun intended) home for me. When you change the adversary (Paul) into an ambassador, obviously you've done something right making ...thou art the Christ....something to build on. I think that would make a great title for a sermon
"Something to Build On",plus there's a parable that illustrates it perfectly.Thanks for the question,sorry for the lengthy response,but hey,you asked. LOL.

DB

This one of my favorite passages as well.  So much is said here.  For me, all the bible, all the world, past, present and future hinges on one moment in time when Christ lived, died and was resurrected.  Everything that is, is contingent on Him.

So He says to His disciples, who does everybody else that I am.  What's important about that question is that Jesus does not ask any of us, nor does He care what "other" people say about Him.  He was not asking what the local gossip was on Him.  He is only concerned with our personal relationship with Him.  It was a set up question to drive home a point.

The second question is the real question.  "Who do YOU say that I am?"  He put them on the spot.  They knew that He was asking them to make a stand.  Right then and right there.  They knew the prophesies of Messiah.  They had been in the temple and made sacrifices.  They practiced Passover and Feast of First Fruits and Pentecost and so on.  They had a real grasp on the Ten Commandments.  They understood the seriousness of blasphemy.  And here is the Man that says He is I am.  Do they believe Him enough to make their claim?  I've heard preachers during sermons say that Peter makes his claim without hesitation.  Personally, I believe Peter took some time before he gave his monumental statement.  I think he thought about it.  He understood that he was being put on the spot.  He had full comprehension of how big this moment was.

The thing is, I think Jesus asks each one of us every day, "Who do you say that I am?"  Our most important moment in life is when we cross that threshold.  And make our claim that Jesus is the Messiah.  But on a daily basis, I believe He wants us to KNOW Him.  He asks us, "do you know My heart?"  "Do you understand who I am?"  "Do you really know me?"  And the question, "Who do you say that I am" becomes more important for us each day.

I really wish I knew Him.   

SMC

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on April 22, 2009, 05:04:16 pm
Revelations

Can you buy a copy of this at Wal-Marts? Or maybe in the book section at Krogers?

borborygmi

redwolf143

Ecclesiastes-Nothing is worth the while but God.

suspended

Joshua. I also liked reading 1st and 2nd Samuel, 1st and 2nd Kings, and 1st and 2nd Chronicles.

WCD

OT - Psalms
NT - John, specifically, 14. Very comforting to me. Gods promise in detail.

WCD ;D

Mike Bonds

Quote from: redwolf143 on July 28, 2009, 01:18:50 am

I like Ecclesiastes.  It's a very challenging book

I like Ezekiel and Psalms from the OT.  The Valley of Dry Bones (Ezekiel 37:1-15) is probably my favorite Bible story.

I like John and 1 Corinthians the best in the NT.

borborygmi

Proverbs-Seek wisdom as if it were gold.

OUSoonersOU

The one where jesus rises from the grave.

redwolf143

Quote from: Mike Bonds on August 10, 2009, 09:15:49 pm

I like Ezekiel and Psalms from the OT.  The Valley of Dry Bones (Ezekiel 37:1-15) is probably my favorite Bible story.

It's quite hard to pick just one favorite from either set.  Still not able to come up with an NT book to call mine.

Indiana Jones

The_Pioneer

phdefense

OT - Job, Isaiah close second

NT- Matthew: I personally think this is the first one that should be read.

Jesusfreak

RATTLER43

johnharrison

Lions84

cuz

Doc Holiday

Proverbs for me. But my favorite verse is John 15:13.

cuz

SingleWingGuru

As a non-religious type...

I say Proverbs and Job.

athletic supporter

monster_island

SportsFan23

DEBO64ETOWN

thedeltarazorback

James - This book cuts me to the core.

Wahls

Delta Razorback, I had no idea you had ties to Star City...

DerekOxford

Definitely John, but James and Hebrews are close.

Th3 DirtTrack Intimidator

33TRAP

Lionheart88

Quote from: Mike Bonds on August 10, 2009, 09:15:49 pm

Indeed.  The words of the Preacher always speak to me.  All this is vanity and striving after wind.

Quote from: johnharrison on September 17, 2009, 07:23:23 am
Bel and the Dragon
What, no love for The Wisdom of Solomon?

Lions84

Quote from: DB on April 20, 2009, 09:04:43 pm
Mine would be John's Gospel.

It challenges us to determine whether we believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of Jehoviah God, God incarnate or if he was a prophet.

Same here.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas