• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Citizens Bank Classic (Van Buren HS) Brackets

Started by woodpeckerfsm, October 29, 2014, 09:37:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woodpeckerfsm

Boys and Girls Attached

Dec. 1-6 at Clair Bates Arena, Van Buren

Basketball

Quote from: woodpeckerfsm on October 29, 2014, 09:37:53 am
Boys and Girls Attached

Vb has a cupcake to the finals.  Guess that is smart getting away from Mo Town.

jking7

I would think it will be a Van Buren Vs. Bentonville final on the boys side unless a major upset happens... Van Buren Vs. Bentonville will make a great game.

Tripod1

W/o a doubt that will be a packed arena.  Hopefully both will take care of business.

WPWells

Fair warning: Don't overlook Charleston. They've made noise in this tournament before

Tripod1

Certainly cannot overlook Charleston w/o a doubt but with all the firepower VB has this year Charleston will be hard pressed to beat them.  Will Charleston have any players that are still involved in the football playoffs if they are still in the playoffs?

WPWells

Yes, they would have three people I have pegged as starters still in football which could prove to be their downfall; however, they would still have Matthew Ward (the best player in the 3A) as well as Andrew Smith (6'7 post) that would still make them dangerous and tough to match up with

bighurt411

What kind of team does the Van Buren girls have?

Tripod1

VB girls will be very young with some very good talent.  Will start a 9th grader, 2 10th graders, 11th grader and 1 senior who will rotate out a lot.  If they had a ligit big girl they would be tough to handle.  They will have their good moments and bad moments due to being so young.  Lack of size will hurt them against the really good teams.  Playing 500 ball will be a good season for them.

jking7

Quote from: Tripod1 on November 10, 2014, 02:33:21 pm
VB girls will be very young with some very good talent.  Will start a 9th grader, 2 10th graders, 11th grader and 1 senior who will rotate out a lot.  If they had a ligit big girl they would be tough to handle.  They will have their good moments and bad moments due to being so young.  Lack of size will hurt them against the really good teams.  Playing 500 ball will be a good season for them.

Agreed 100% they may not be a contender this season but for sure are building to a great team in the coming years. Tons of talent this year but like you said being young and having a lack of size will hurt them. I would think they will finish a little better then .500 this season. New head coach  as well not sure how much coach Bryant will change scheme wise though.

WPWells

jking7

WPWells

jking7

I really liked Coach Mankin he was a great coach and person( had him as a teacher a few years back) but I do think Coach Bryant will be very good going foward.

WPWells

Where is Coach Bryant from? It seems like I've heard of a Coach Bryant before

jking7

November 10, 2014, 04:07:11 pm #15 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:10:59 pm by jking7
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 10, 2014, 03:48:40 pm

He was the Head Basketball Coach for hartford In the Mid 90's then was Cedarville's Head  Coach in 2001 and 2002 and since 2003 has been an Assistant Coach for the Van Buren Boys basketball team.

WPWells

Quote from: jking7 on November 10, 2014, 04:07:11 pm

He was the Head Basketball Coach for hartford In the Mid 90's then was Cedarville's Head  Coach in 2001 and 2002 and since 2003 has been an Assistant Coach for the Van Buren Boys basketball team.

Okay then that's where I know him from - went to this tournament all the way through high school as well as the Van Buren team camp every summer

jking7

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 10, 2014, 04:20:24 pm
Quote from: jking7 on November 10, 2014, 04:07:11 pm

Okay then that's where I know him from - went to this tournament all the way through high school as well as the Van Buren team camp every summer

Yeah I have been going to This Tournament for years now.. always been really good on the boys and girls side.

AT

Coach Bryant is one of the best men for the job...the guy has been learning under one of the best high school basketball coaches in the state in Coach Loyd (not overstating that, Coach Loyd does more with less than anyone in at least this part of the state).

A lot of people thought Coach Bryant was going to take Coach Loyd's place when he retired. I guess that's still possible, but this is great for Van Buren girls basketball.

jking7

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 10, 2014, 11:52:31 pm
Coach Bryant is one of the best men for the job...the guy has been learning under one of the best high school basketball coaches in the state in Coach Loyd (not overstating that, Coach Loyd does more with less than anyone in at least this part of the state).

A lot of people thought Coach Bryant was going to take Coach Loyd's place when he retired. I guess that's still possible, but this is great for Van Buren girls basketball.

Coach Bryant will do great! As for the taking Coach Loyd's place after he retires a lot of people around town are saying Coach House should be next in line(unless they go for someone outside of Van Buren) House has been solid the few years he was at the middle schools/ Jr. High but now he is at the high school level and that's a whole new world... He is learning from one of the best head Coaches in the state though.

Tripod1

Quote from: jking7 on November 11, 2014, 12:09:37 am

Coach Bryant will do great! As for the taking Coach Loyd's place after he retires a lot of people around town are saying Coach House should be next in line(unless they go for someone outside of Van Buren) House has been solid the few years he was at the middle schools/ Jr. High but now he is at the high school level and that's a whole new world... He is learning from one of the best head Coaches in the state though.
You do realize Coach House left VB for a period of time and now has returned.  Bryant will be great for the girls and may want to stay on the girls side but in a couple of years when Loyd retires if Bryant wants the boys job VB should offer it to him before House. 

jking7

November 11, 2014, 10:10:54 am #21 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:43:33 am by jking7
Quote from: Tripod1 on November 11, 2014, 10:05:29 am
Quote from: jking7 on November 11, 2014, 12:09:37 am

You do realize Coach House left VB for a period of time and now has returned.  Bryant will be great for the girls and may want to stay on the girls side but in a couple of years when Loyd retires if Bryant wants the boys job VB should offer it to him before House.

Yes I knew he was here before(guess I should have said that) I was just saying the last few years he has been at a lower level. And I agree it should be offered to Bryant before House but if Bryant does not want it I would think House would be offered the job unless they go out of Van Buren to get a head coach. Also I do realize now that I made it sound like Coach House is some super new coach... I worded it poorly.. Sorry about that.

Tripod1

Coach House would be a fine choice for a head coach.  Relates well with the kids and knows the X's and O's.  I  know they wouldn't bring Coach Loyd's son Trent in as head coach but I do wonder if House took the job would Trent come as an assistant.  Maybe he realizes House is a young guy and it would be many years being an assistant so he wouldn't go that route.  I do know Trent really likes it in NWA and may choose to make a career up there.  Not a bad place to call home that is for sure.

jking7

November 11, 2014, 10:45:15 am #23 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:02:10 am by jking7
NWA is great.. For visiting and for Coaching jobs.Where does Trent coach right now?

Tripod1

jking7

November 11, 2014, 01:11:11 pm #25 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:27:45 pm by jking7
Ok thanks! I knew it was in NWA I just didn't know where.

AT

Coach Bryant wouldn't miss a beat in my opinion if he was to take Coach Loyd's spot. I've seen their practices and they finish each other's sentences by now. That being said, perhaps Coach Bryant finds more pleasure in coaching girls basketball. Girls basketball is more of a chess match and some people prefer to coach it on the high school level.

Tripod1

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 11, 2014, 05:32:43 pm
Coach Bryant wouldn't miss a beat in my opinion if he was to take Coach Loyd's spot. I've seen their practices and they finish each other's sentences by now. That being said, perhaps Coach Bryant finds more pleasure in coaching girls basketball. Girls basketball is more of a chess match and some people prefer to coach it on the high school level.
You are correct on all counts.  I do believe he wanted the challenge of a head coaching job and is coaching the girls just like he did when assistant with the boys.  VB is very lucky to have coaches like Bryant and Loyd.

Basketball13

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 04, 2014, 09:35:59 am
Fair warning: Don't overlook Charleston. They've made noise in this tournament before

Charleston is good this year. They probably will still not have football players here, but the ward kid is outstanding. Had 31 against Lincoln the other night.

channing

Matthew Ward is the real deal, they play Prairie Grove Nov. 20th. You get a chance go out and see him play. Extreamly athletic !!!

ahsalum

VB girls will be very young with some very good talent.  Will start a 9th grader,

McKinney.....she is the real deal. You will hear her name for the next 4 years.

ahsalum

Monk over Mitchell right down the lane.....watch it happen.

WPWells

sprtsfan

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 13, 2014, 03:35:09 pm
VB girls will be very young with some very good talent.  Will start a 9th grader,

Kinney, she is the real deal.

Basketball13

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 13, 2014, 11:05:55 pm
No. Ward is #23, the combo guard

Also being looked at by UCA, UAFS, and U of A as a walk on.

ahsalum

Quote from: sprtsfan on November 14, 2014, 11:35:34 am
Quote from: Steve Perry on November 13, 2014, 03:35:09 pm

Kinney, she is the real deal.

Kinney...my bad..I remember that now...

bighurt411

Quote from: Basketball on October 29, 2014, 07:30:17 pm
Boys and Girls Attached
Is
VB Girls think they have a cupcake in the first round but JC Westside is not much of a cupcake.

A-Good-One

JC Westside is a decent 2A squad. But a decent 7A squad - which is what Van Buren is - shouldn't have many problems.

jking7

Quote from: bighurt411 on November 23, 2014, 09:28:39 am
Quote from: Basketball on October 29, 2014, 07:30:17 pm
Boys and Girls Attached
Is
VB Girls think they have a cupcake in the first round but JC Westside is not much of a cupcake.

With Coach Bryant leading this team I really doubt they will overlook/ think a team is a cupcake team. He will have them prepared and ready to go no matter who they are playing.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Tripod1 on November 11, 2014, 12:55:40 pm
I think Trent is coaching boys at Pea Ridge.

Trent is at Pea Ridge. This will be his second year as head coach. He is one of the best young coaches around.

Sport718

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on November 23, 2014, 01:41:36 pm
JC Westside is a decent 2A squad. But a decent 7A squad - which is what Van Buren is - shouldn't have many problems.
Not sure the word decent adequately describes JC Westside girls. We'll see tonight.

A-Good-One

Quote from: Sport718 on December 01, 2014, 12:28:03 pm
Not sure the word decent adequately describes JC Westside girls. We'll see tonight.

The Twitter machine says 51-28, Van Buren, midway through the third.

"Decent" seems to fit perfectly.

jking7

December 01, 2014, 08:54:58 pm #42 Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:57:28 pm by jking7
Van Buren boys-37
Shiloh Christian-3       Half

Don't have an update for other games was not able to make it out early today sorry..

jking7

jking7

jking7

Got these two scores from Walter Woodie on twitter

Girls -- LR Christian 64, Charleston 26
Boys -- Pea Ridge 73, Greenwood 57

Sport718

Decent is probably overstating it. They were Aweful. No defense even less offense. That program needs a coach!

Sport718

December 01, 2014, 10:09:13 pm #47 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:43:22 pm by Sport718
Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 01, 2014, 07:48:50 pm

The Twitter machine says 51-28, Van Buren, midway through the third.

"Decent" seems to fit perfectly.
Decent is probably overstating it. They were terrible. No defense and even less offense. They have beat some good teams this year but VB was on fire and really put Westside in their place.
Westside was back to being themselves again tonight with a 20 point win over Gentry. They played great team basketball! Looks to be an exciting consolation final(if there is such a thing) against Cedarville Saturday.

bighurt411

Van Buren has really good guards but not much inside the paint. They made like 15 three pointers.

bighurt411

If not decent then what are they?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas