• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 7A Boys Championship: Bentonville 2 Springdale 0 !Discuss!

Started by sevenof400, May 01, 2016, 04:16:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Let's use this thread to discuss any and all aspects of the 7A Boys State Playoffs. 

7A Tournament: host Springdale High School

7A Finals (at Fayetteville):
Bentonville 2 vs Springdale 0

BOYS:
Kickoff 10:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday in this quarter of the bracket
            1C (First round bye) - LR Catholic
3W vs 3E  --   Bentonville 7 vs NLR 0

LR Catholic 2 vs Bentonville 3

Bentonville 1 vs Rogers 0

Rogers 4 vs Heritage 3

Kickoff 12:00 noon Thursday, 2 pm Friday and 10:00 am Saturday in this quarter of the bracket
            2W (First round bye) - Heritage
2E vs 5W   --  Cabot 0 vs Rogers 1

Kickoff 2:00 pm Thursday, 12:00 noon Friday and 12:00 noon Saturday in this quarter of the bracket
            1E (First round bye) - LR Central
4W vs 3C  --   Har-ber 3 vs Bryant 1

LR Central 1 vs Har-ber 5

Har-ber 1 vs Springdale 2

Springdale 3 vs FS Northside 2

Kickoff 4:00 pm Thursday, 4:00 pm Friday and 12:00 noon Saturday in this quarter of the bracket
            1W (First round bye) - Springdale
2C vs 6W  -- Conway 1 vs FS Northside 5

VHSCoach2

May 12, 2016, 10:25:54 am #1 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:47:52 am by VHSCoach2
Bentonville 7, North Little Rock 0 - final

Laird Williams

May 12, 2016, 12:22:02 pm #2 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:40:55 pm by Laird Williams
Anyone here watching Cabot/Rogers?

Any predictions?

VHSCoach2

May 12, 2016, 12:23:40 pm #3 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:32:16 pm by VHSCoach2
Rogers 1, Cabot 0 - final

Laird Williams

VHSCoach2

May 12, 2016, 02:45:02 pm #5 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:02:56 pm by VHSCoach2
Har-Ber 3, Bryant 1 - final

Laird Williams

VHSCoach2

Laird Williams

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 12, 2016, 05:43:30 pm
Northside 5, Conway 1 - final

And central Arkansas completes the sweep. As in swept away.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 05:47:15 pm
And central Arkansas completes the sweep. As in swept away.

Catholic is still alive for one more day  ;)

Badger

Badger

Well, not a good day for central AR teams, but on the bright side, I've got a clean bracket.

tatog19

LR Central Only team that will go to semis from Central Ar

FutbolPhan

May 12, 2016, 06:17:57 pm #13 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:20:03 pm by FutbolPhan
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 12, 2016, 05:43:30 pm
Northside 5, Conway 1 - final

I wasn't in attendance but continue to believe Conway's old time three-man backline along with their insistence to play the long ball, 50-50, physical style will get a few wins early in the year but once they meet teams that are possession oriented, they will crumble under the pressure. It's a coaching issue.

Badger

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 06:17:57 pm
I wasn't in attendance but continue to believe Conway's old time three-man backline along with their insistence to play the long ball, 50-50, physical style will get a few wins early in the year but once they meet teams that are possession oriented, they will crumble under the pressure. It's a coaching issue.

Well, that makes me feel pretty grateful for my son's coach.  Shout out to Catholic's Ryan Lawrence!! - not perfect, but almost to a fault results have been secondary to development, sportsmanship, and brotherhood.  When other coaches are yelling and in a panic, he just sits there and calmly gives occasional instruction.  He even lets the boys decide who takes PKs and KFTM, which is maybe a little too cavalier considering Catholic hasn't won a game in OT, but that's the point.  Yes, I've been sipping the Catholic Kool Aid - wish I would have had the opportunity to attend there - be a better man for it.  My son just left for Macaroni Grill for a team dinner.  Then, the bus leaves tomorrow at 5:45 am for the big game vs. the mighty Bentonville Tigers.  Maybe we should hit up Jerry Jones for more travel funds....

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 07:02:11 pm
Well, that makes me feel pretty grateful for my son's coach.  Shout out to Catholic's Ryan Lawrence!! - not perfect, but almost to a fault results have been secondary to development, sportsmanship, and brotherhood.  When other coaches are yelling and in a panic, he just sits there and calmly gives occasional instruction.  He even lets the boys decide who takes PKs and KFTM, which is maybe a little too cavalier considering Catholic hasn't won a game in OT, but that's the point.  Yes, I've been sipping the Catholic Kool Aid - wish I would have had the opportunity to attend there - be a better man for it.  My son just left for Macaroni Grill for a team dinner.  Then, the bus leaves tomorrow at 5:45 am for the big game vs. the mighty Bentonville Tigers.  Maybe we should hit up Jerry Jones for more travel funds....

Ryan is a great coach. I have had the opportunity to watch both his club and high school teams from afar and have a lot of respect for his coaching style. He's a true coach who played the game and understands his player's talents and adapts. The Conway coach seems to be stuck in the past relying only on what works for lower classifications that have few, if any, technical players and relies strictly on athletic ability...

Laird Williams

Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 07:02:11 pm
Well, that makes me feel pretty grateful for my son's coach.  Shout out to Catholic's Ryan Lawrence!!...Maybe we should hit up Jerry Jones for more travel funds....

More travel funds? Hey, would you mind asking Jerry to send some bucks over to Central too? Central's coach, Doug Stavey, is a stand-up guy also, and we can't afford the Macaroni Grill.  :P

Central Arkansas' initial assault on the bastion of NWA was beat back handily today, oh the humanity; however, we send our elite troops up tomorrow. Once more unto the breach, boys.

Badger

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 07:25:11 pm
More travel funds? Hey, would you mind asking Jerry to send some bucks over to Central too? Central's coach, Doug Stavey, is a stand-up guy also, and we can't afford the Macaroni Grill.  :P

Well, I don't think dinner's on Catholic, since I gave the kid a $20.  Unless that turd's more savvy than I think.

Laird Williams

Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 07:35:10 pm
Well, I don't think dinner's on Catholic, since I gave the kid a $20.  Unless that turd's more savvy than I think.

Hey, Catholic schools...  :D

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 07:25:11 pm

Central Arkansas' initial assault on the bastion of NWA was beat back handily today, oh the humanity; however, we send our elite troops up tomorrow. Once more unto the breach, boys.

Good luck, just remember, both teams left from central Arkansas lost previously to those that were eliminated today so not sure "elite" is an appropriate adjective...

Badger

May 12, 2016, 07:42:03 pm #20 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:46:13 pm by Badger
Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 07:39:39 pm
Good luck, just remember, both teams left from central Arkansas lost previously to those that were eliminated today so not sure "elite" is an appropriate adjective...

Come on FutbolPhan, a little support brother...you know, "the enemy of my enemy, is my friend" sort of brother.   :)

Correction, since I like to split hairs, Catholic did not lose to either Bryant, Cabot, or NLR this year, and should have beaten Conway both times - Conway got a little luck with one of their patented side-arm throw-ins.  Then, Lawrence let a bunch of goofy teenagers decide who would take the KFTM.   ;D

Badger

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 07:42:03 pm
Come on FutbolPhan, a little support brother...you know, "the enemy of my enemy, is my friend" sort of brother.   :)

Just saying, never underestimate your adversary from NWA no matter your seed. I seem to recall last year's 7A tournament where Conway and Catholic had really strong, experienced teams and both were sent packing by Northside in Cabot...

FutbolPhan

May 12, 2016, 07:52:27 pm #23 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:56:23 pm by FutbolPhan
Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 07:42:03 pm

Correction, since I like to split hairs, Catholic did not lose to either Bryant, Cabot, or NLR this year, and should have beaten Conway both times - Conway got a little luck with one of their patented side-arm throw-ins.  Then, Lawrence let a bunch of goofy teenagers decide who would take the KFTM.   ;D

That was directed to the Central fan among us and his elite troops! Conway did figure out how to defeat Catholic and share a conference title, sorta. Should belong to Siloam based on records vs all 7A/6A competition though.

Laird Williams

May 12, 2016, 08:00:04 pm #24 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:01:35 pm by Laird Williams
Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 07:39:39 pm

Elite was offered up with the comic poetic license that is....my hallmark?*...and, to pile-on with Badger, of the CA teams that were eliminated today, Central only lost to Conway, once, early in the season, playing without a couple of our best players. I'd put money on us in a rematch.

I'm looking forward to seeing these mighty NWAR teams.

Go get 'em Badger. 

------------
*note the Shakespeare salute at the end of that elite post

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 08:00:04 pm
Elite was offered up with the comic poetic license that is....my hallmark?*...and, to pile-on with Badger, of the CA teams that were eliminated today, Central only lost to Conway, once, early in the season, playing without a couple of our best players. I'd put money on us in a rematch.

I'm looking forward to seeing these mighty NWAR teams.

Go get 'em Badger. 

------------
*note the Shakespeare salute at the end of that elite post

As I said, good luck, and by the way, I've got no dog in the hunt... Of course your missing players could have turned  an 0-5 defeat into a 5-0 win but we shall never know.

Badger

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 07:52:27 pm
That was directed to the Central fan among us and his elite troops! Conway did figure out how to defeat Catholic and share a conference title, sorta. Should belong to Siloam based on records vs all 7A/6A competition though.

I disagree with your assessment of the 7A/6A Central conference champion.  All three had identical conference records at 7-2, so the conference initially decided all 3 should be conference champion.  I heard Siloam's coach and Russellville's coach both advocated for Catholic to be conference champion, purportedly Russellville's coach vehemently so.  Here's why - based on Rule 7 used to determine State Tourney seeding (not necessarily conference champions) a three way tie is broken by first adding up tiebreaker points and taking the top 2, then looking at head-to-head.  In this scenario, tiebreaker points were Catholic 16, Siloam 16, and Conway 10.  Catholic beat Siloam head-to-head, so there you go.  Also, not relevant to the argument but IMO notable, Catholic did not lose a game in conference play - both games were ties lost on KFTM.  Both Siloam and Conway lost to Catholic.  Again, purportedly, Conway's coach stubbornly refused to go along with the majority of his conference brethren and kept the trophy he had already been given (how this occurred is still a mystery).  Again, purportedly, (another reason I'm grateful) Ryan Lawrence was like, "Whatever dudes.  It's not that big a thing, man." and didn't make a stink about there being 2 conference champions.  I will say this - Siloam is certainly more deserving of that trophy in Conway's cabinet. 

Laird Williams

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 08:17:24 pm
Of course your missing players could have turned  an 0-5 defeat into a 5-0 win but we shall never know.

Touché. Well Conway's out and Central and Catholic are still in, so there's that. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon--with no doubt a better appreciation of all things soccer in the great state of Arkansas.

Laird Williams

Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 08:20:10 pm
I disagree with your assessment of the 7A/6A Central conference champion.  All three had identical conference records at 7-2, so the conference initially decided all 3 should be conference champion.  I heard Siloam's coach and Russellville's coach both advocated for Catholic to be conference champion, purportedly Russellville's coach vehemently so.  Here's why - based on Rule 7 used to determine State Tourney seeding (not necessarily conference champions) a three way tie is broken by first adding up tiebreaker points and taking the top 2, then looking at head-to-head.  In this scenario, tiebreaker points were Catholic 16, Siloam 16, and Conway 10.  Catholic beat Siloam head-to-head, so there you go.  Also, not relevant to the argument but IMO notable, Catholic did not lose a game in conference play - both games were ties lost on KFTM.  Both Siloam and Conway lost to Catholic.  Again, purportedly, Conway's coach stubbornly refused to go along with the majority of his conference brethren and kept the trophy he had already been given (how this occurred is still a mystery).  Again, purportedly, (another reason I'm grateful) Ryan Lawrence was like, "Whatever dudes.  It's not that big a thing, man." and didn't make a stink about there being 2 conference champions.  I will say this - Siloam is certainly more deserving of that trophy in Conway's cabinet.

Wow.

FutbolPhan

May 12, 2016, 08:30:14 pm #29 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:32:19 pm by FutbolPhan
Quote from: Badger on May 12, 2016, 08:20:10 pm

Oh yes, Conway's coach has a Conference Champion's plaque. Totally agree with your position but AAA provided the award and assume Catholic has one too. My assessment of Siloam is soley based on MaxPreps conference ranking which taken as a whole is crap as well...

Badger

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 08:30:14 pm
Oh yes, Conway's coach has a Conference Champion's plaque. Totally agree with your position but AAA provided the award and assume Catholic has one too. My assexxmet of Siloam is soley based on MaxPreps conference ranking which taken as a whole is crap as well...

No, Catholic doesn't have one, yet...it's in the mail I assume.  Again, quite a head-scratcher how of the three teams, Conway, the team with the fewest points, managed to pull that off with the plaque thing.  Conway players were posting instagram photos with it before the paint had dried on the last conference games Friday night.  Weird stuff...

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 08:23:42 pm
Touché. Well Conway's out and Central and Catholic are still in, so there's that. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon--with no doubt a better appreciation of all things soccer in the great state of Arkansas.

As I said Laird, I have no dog in the hunt, good luck to your squad...

O.G pillowcase

Beware of a kid named austin cheslek he most goodest

Badger

O.G pillowcase

When Central wins he tournament its gone be like when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. won  his first Daytona 500 victory exactly six years to the day after his father Dale Earnhardt, Sr. won

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 08:23:42 pm

Just had to...LR Central earned a 1 seed bye because they play in the 6A/7A East. Pretty sure they would have been eliminated if they had to play in the 7A/6A Central. The actual solution to the central Arkansas vs NWA soccer issue is to have true 7A Central conference.

O.G pillowcase

May 12, 2016, 09:24:36 pm #36 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:27:13 pm by O.G pillowcase
Central

Badger

May 12, 2016, 09:31:32 pm #37 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:33:23 pm by Badger
Quote from: O.G pillowcase on May 12, 2016, 09:24:36 pm
Central

Dang, where'd your post go?  I had a good one tee'd up - drop the mic good.

Laird Williams

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 12, 2016, 08:57:39 pm
Just had to...LR Central earned a 1 seed bye because they play in the 6A/7A East. Pretty sure they would have been eliminated if they had to play in the 7A/6A Central. The actual solution to the central Arkansas vs NWA soccer issue is to have true 7A Central conference.

You may be right. I truly don't know: I'm new to this territory and 100% of whatever bluster I'm spouting is borne strictly from my allegiance to my compadres.

It's all good.

VHSCoach2

May 13, 2016, 10:26:42 am #39 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:39:33 am by VHSCoach2
Bentonville 3, Catholic 2 - final

VHSCoach2

May 13, 2016, 12:13:22 pm #40 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:43:12 pm by VHSCoach2
Har-Ber 5, Central 1 - final

Badger

VHSCoach2

Laird Williams

May 13, 2016, 01:28:40 pm #43 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:21:51 pm by Laird Williams
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 13, 2016, 12:13:22 pm
Har-Ber 5, Central 1 - 2 minutes until halftime

Well, I've been re-educated. There's about 12 minutes left and the game will end pretty close to 5-1, as Har-Ber has played their young guys the entire second half. If they wanted to keep the hammer down they could beat  us 10-1. Sheesh.

VHSCoach2

Laird Williams

Laird Williams

Laird Williams

VHSCoach2

May 13, 2016, 04:21:50 pm #48 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:26:46 pm by VHSCoach2
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 13, 2016, 03:19:15 pm
Heritage 3, Rogers 2 - 20 minutes to go

Rogers 4, Heritage 3 - final OT

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 13, 2016, 04:08:55 pm
Update??

Sorry, meetings took me away from the coverage I was following.  Final score is in the previous post.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas