• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Umpires clinic 2015

Started by True Fan, January 26, 2015, 03:27:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Fan

;D It's cool. I believe you if you say it happened. I just haven't seen it and I've been around a while. 92 is pretty close to when my oldest started me down this addictive base path. I've seen a lot of things happen around the ball parks that are hard to believe.

I asked location because I was thinking that this might be a seark thing. That is one area of the state where we've never played much for whatever reason. Just been that way a couple of times when my oldest was down for some UAM tournaments. Seems like we saw the same umps then that calling around the rest of the state. 

We always seem to face baseball umps when we head south. You can tell because they have their numbers on their sleeves and can explain to you why a ball that is waist high on the batter is above the strike zone. ;) ( That was in the state tourney)

Yes there are good and bad umps in both. It only matters how they act on game day. Funny thing about the umps watching and commenting. It's amazing how often umps will disagree on whether a call was blown or not watching a game. I seen the right call ridiculed until it was found and cited in the rulebook. Then we all just laugh and move on to the next play.

See ya around. I am so bored and wish the games would begin.

LowerAR

Oh, I've seen them set up all over the place, from the fence behind the 1st base dugout to outside the gate; yea, I mean not even on the field yet.  :-[ But I would not say they were real umps. Truth is you get all kinds and no one is harder on an ump than another ump. I do believe that the calling is better as we have progressed from 10u to 18u. I believe that is because most umpires that are good would rather call older girls, and fans and coaches are more knowledgeable, which can cause it's own problems, but usually makes for a better situation; if you are looking for an impartial well called game in the first place. If you only want to win, well nothing about any of this is going to matter. Highschool is another animal; pretty much you get what you pay for. If you pay the minimum, you don't get very good. Just remember if you don't like the calls your getting you can be an ump and right all the wrongs, and this is from a guy who plays at being a coach. My only concern is for the girls who play this game and that means we need good umpires. ;D       

Bulldog92

Agree with both of ya'll!!  I'm not ready just yet for HS softball to start we still have a few basketball games left and I hope we make it to the state tournament.  But my middle daughter and son have already started practicing so I am getting my fill!!

BBRB

Quote from: LowerAR on February 13, 2015, 08:49:17 am
Oh, I've seen them set up all over the place, from the fence behind the 1st base dugout to outside the gate; yea, I mean not even on the field yet.  :-[ But I would not say they were real umps. Truth is you get all kinds and no one is harder on an ump than another ump. I do believe that the calling is better as we have progressed from 10u to 18u. I believe that is because most umpires that are good would rather call older girls, and fans and coaches are more knowledgeable, which can cause it's own problems, but usually makes for a better situation; if you are looking for an impartial well called game in the first place. If you only want to win, well nothing about any of this is going to matter. Highschool is another animal; pretty much you get what you pay for. If you pay the minimum, you don't get very good. Just remember if you don't like the calls your getting you can be an ump and right all the wrongs, and this is from a guy who plays at being a coach. My only concern is for the girls who play this game and that means we need good umpires. ;D       
Behind the dugout?  Perfect position for calling balls and strikes....HA!!

BBRB

Quote from: BBRB on March 02, 2015, 11:52:24 am
Quote from: LowerAR on February 13, 2015, 08:49:17 am
Behind the dugout?  Perfect position for calling balls and strikes....HA!!
The only spot better is a bucket in front of a dugout

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas