• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover/Norphlet

Started by Basket Buck, March 13, 2014, 11:31:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Basket Buck

March 13, 2014, 11:31:35 pm Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:28:47 am by Basket Buck
Smackover school board will officially accept merger with Norphlet (starting 2015-2016) on Monday. State board meets on May 8th to approve. Norphlet will keep their schools and compete in Smackover for sports they dont have... since Norphlet just hired a football coach i guess they are going to try to keep that program

HorseFeathers

Guessing this means norphlet is closing in this merger?

Basket Buck

the high school will be in Smackover.. I believe there will be an elementary school and/or junior high still in Norphlet

HorseFeathers

Gotta wonder why they went ahead and hired a football coach then...

Basket Buck

I didn't know about that.. maybe they are going to place this next year over there.. the merger is for 2015-2016

Basket Buck

Article in The paper today.. norphlet will keep the high school as well and only compete in smackover for sports that are not offered in norphlet. So guess thats why they hired a coach

AirWarren

Quote from: Basket Buck on March 15, 2014, 05:18:27 am
Article in The paper today.. norphlet will keep the high school as well and only compete in smackover for sports that are not offered in norphlet. So guess thats why they hired a coach

Very Interesting. So will this affect enrollment that much?

Is football the only sport that won't be offered at Norphlet?

HorseFeathers

AW  i think norphlet is going to have football next year. . . Why else would they add head football coach back to dennis steele's job duties?

AirWarren

It's just an odd situation.

KOJACK

3A will be glad to hear it. Smackover is gonna be solid enough, if they got the Norphlet kids that would be scary.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: KOJACK on March 17, 2014, 07:59:22 pm
3A will be glad to hear it. Smackover is gonna be solid enough, if they got the Norphlet kids that would be scary.
you bet, adding just 2 or 3 good players in 3a is a big deal.

HorseFeathers

Norphlet would probably give them 5 or 6 good players. They never give junction city or bearden a challenge. But they do make the playoffs reguraly out of that conference. They just alway have zero depth.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: HF on March 18, 2014, 10:24:59 am
Norphlet would probably give them 5 or 6 good players. They never give junction city or bearden a challenge. But they do make the playoffs reguraly out of that conference. They just alway have zero depth.
5 or 6 would be huge.

KOJACK

Smackover's problem last year was a lack of quality depth. The 11 guys that they put on either side of the ball were as good as any 11 in 3A. Like oldman said 5 or 6 guys that could contribute would be huge. If Prescott gets 1 guy move in that can contribute it is a big deal. 5 or 6 would be a game changer. If the Norphlet kids ever play football for Smackover, Smackover will be an even bigger force to be reckoned with imo.

Juco soldier

I believe Norphlet was only down 20-14 in 3rd qrt the last year Norphlet made the playoffs. I believe they challenged Bearden a lot more than JC, but they did beat PC, Hampton, Woodlawn, every year they made the playoffs recently.  They even played Strong really good all those years, just didn't beat them til Dixon was gone.  They were just a handful of kids that could play or wanted to play. Only half a dozen on the sideline or even less.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Juco soldier on March 18, 2014, 11:32:50 am

I believe Norphlet was only down 20-14 in 3rd qrt the last year Norphlet made the playoffs. I believe they challenged Bearden a lot more than JC, but they did beat PC, Hampton, Woodlawn, every year they made the playoffs recently.  They even played Strong really good all those years, just didn't beat them til Dixon was gone.  They were just a handful of kids that could play or wanted to play. Only half a dozen on the sideline or even less.

I knew they beat the other teams...Was thinking it was a mercy role loss to bearden every year though..

Juco soldier

Yeah I think the leopards were competitive for the most part, but those kids there accomplished a lot in those 3 years they made the playoffs. Too bad they ran out of players and their coaches left because of that.  Maybe the few that can play will help Smackover.  I can't imagine they would have enough to field another varsity especially since there high school will completely merge with Smackover in a year.

HorseFeathers

Was told they had upper teens out for junior varsity last year. .  . Use the idea of the leopards going out with a playoff victory or something to get everybody out to play and who knows what can happen

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas