• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010-2011 Arkansas Basketball

Started by ABâ„¢, December 08, 2010, 06:34:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on January 12, 2011, 10:54:23 pm
All you sideline coaches, what do you suggest we do? I'm a Pel supporter and I like the guy. I'm not happy with losing and not being a top teir program but what do you folks suggest we do? I don't want an answer that consists of "we have the facilities to get a big name coach or the tradition" answer. We had the same tradition and facilities when Coach Pel was hired and stan was fired. What makes you think we can land someone and who is this someone since everyone out there is a Pel hater and better coach than him.

Let's try an experiment, shall we?

Ta-da!

All you sideline coaches, what do you suggest we do? I'm a Nutt supporter and I like the guy. I'm not happy with losing and not being a top tier program but what do you folks suggest we do? I don't want an answer that consists of "we have the facilities to get a big name coach or the tradition" answer. We had the same tradition and facilities when Coach Nutt was hired and Ford was fired. What makes you think we can land someone and who is this someone since everyone out there is a Nutt hater and better coach than him.

I knew this reasoning sounded familiar.

Romeo

Arkansas is in a lot better position to get a good name coach than in the past. The number of coaches turning us down a few years ago had  a lot more to do with the administration at that time, primarily JW. Some of the candidates had legitimate reasons to turn us down:

Tim Floyd - Was already ticked off at the way he was treated when he interviewed for the job after Nolan was fired and wasn't going to give us a second chance.

Tom Crean - Worked as an assistant with Heath at Michigan St. and is good friends with him. There's no way he would have took the job after the way his buddy was treated.

Dana Altman - Saw it as a good career move until he was briefed about the academic situation. After his suggestions to fix the situation were immediately shot down along with his AD playing holes of golf in Augusta just hours after he was hired, I think he saw that he made the wrong decision.

Bill Self - I can understand why his name was brought up after being a top candidate in 2002, but there's no way he would have left Kansas. Just wish the Nolan lawsuit didn't happen otherwise we would have hired the right guy and we wouldn't be in the current mess were in now.

AirWarren

I'm still not convinced that razorback basketball is as an attractive job that some of you think. Richardson was top notch but DID NOT win overnight. Heath was an ok, the clown from whatever that school in Nebraska was terrible, and pelphrey was a good hire for the circumstance. If we were such an attractive job we would have gotten calipari who in my opinion is the same caliber coach as petrino only in basketball. If he can't win with this incoming class then he needs to go. And then we will hire another mid major because for some reason people think that 94 title team should automatically hire a calipari type coach.

Trust me people I want the glory days too. But running off a coach trying to rebuild ain't the answer.

AirWarren

Mizzou coach. That's who I wish we could get. Not gonna happen. Has too much success where he is.

Romeo

The main argument I would give people who question the criticism of Pelphrey is that I don't see any difference between him and Heath in turns of gameplan, strategy, offense, defense, rebounding, etc.

When Heath was coach the talk then was to give him time which was justified given he was left with an empty cupboard when he took over. But by year four with national recognition having the best player in the SEC returning in Brewer along with several players back, still underachieved that year losing to Bucknell in the first round of the tournament.

Even with the 2011 class coming in, right now I haven't seen anything from Pelphrey that tells me were going to progress as a program in the near future.

hb14lh

Quote from: Romeo on January 13, 2011, 12:51:15 am

Bill Self - I can understand why his name was brought up after being a top candidate in 2002, but there's no way he would have left Kansas.

He was actually at Illinois at the time.

Romeo

He was at Illinois during the 2002 interview. I was referring to when his name was being brought up when Heath was fired.

hb14lh

Quote from: Romeo on January 13, 2011, 05:37:30 am
He was at Illinois during the 2002 interview. I was referring to when his name was being brought up when Heath was fired.

Gotcha, I thought you meant when Heath was hired. UofA was interested in him then too.

SingleWingGuru

January 13, 2011, 12:25:24 pm #108 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:27:51 pm by SingleWingGuru
Quote from: AirWarren on January 13, 2011, 12:57:06 am
the clown from whatever that school in Nebraska was terrible

Yeah, Dana Altman is sooo bad (sarcasm off).

---417 Career Victories
---8 NCAA Tournament Appearances
---3 Conference Championships in a tough conference
---Highest Career GPA and Graduation Rate of any current College Coach

I'm calling shenanigans.  If you think the guy is so horrible... just imagine what it was like when he came in and Arkansas showed him the books.  I'd run away too with that GPA, being in that much of a hole regarding future NCAA sanctions.

Did I mention the school he was doing this at has the undergraduate population of Arkansas Tech?

Romeo

5-25 in road games under Pelphrey. Sigh...

gatecrasher

That is pathetic. Period.

I don't care what kind if class we have coming in...Pel is not gonna be good for regular NCAA Tournament appearances (a reasonable expectation) or championships.

theHammer

I don't remember the actual statistic, but there hasn't been a Razorback basketball team with a winning road record in about 16(?) years.

Even Nolan had his struggles on the road. Is it really THAT difficult to win games on the road?

AT

Arkansas plays Alabama today at 12:30. I think it only comes on ESPN 3, though (the online ESPN). I'll keep updates here for anyone that can't or won't watch it.

Romeo

The game will be SEC Network, (40/29, channel 7, KAIT). In my opinion this is a must win for Pelphrey to get some pressure off his back. The next two games will be on the road against South Carolina and Florida. Starting 1-4 in conference will get more people calling for his head.

ABâ„¢

Arkansas has to be one of the worst offensive teams in the nation.  At least out of the top 8-10 conferences.  It's painful watching them try to score. 

Romeo

Delvon Johnson has been solid this year but he has the ugliest hook shot I've ever seen. Its like he's trying to play volleyball.

fastdrop

I am getting to watch the Hogs for the first time this year on the tube..... Good gosh..this is some kind of ugly basketball game if that is what you call it. 

RATTLER43

It is against the top-ranked SEC defense. We came back to win the game, though. This is what we should have done against LSU. Must find ways to win in ugly games. Sanchez even hit a couple of pressure free shots to come from behind by 10.

fastdrop

Well at least I cared enough to watch my first college baskeball game of the year of any kind. It was better than raking the yard.

AT

Good win! Say what you want about Pel, but he called some pretty good plays down the stretch.

We need to win at least one against SC or FL on their home courts which is much easier said than done.

RATTLER43

I roll with the punches as a Hogs fan. I will support Pel, BP, Bucknam, and Van Horn while they are there. I want us to win. If admin makes changes I will still support Hogs. I stick with them through adversity. I let the powers that be do the real assessment of job performance. That is not to say I don't disagree with certain aspects but I try to remain positive. As down as the SEC is we should be able to win some games down the stretch but as I continue to watch this team play I must say that talent level is mediocre and that basketball IQ is mediocre as well. May be Pel's fault. I don't know. They are his recruits but sometimes players have to adjust, step up, etc. Today they did. Go Hogs.

Chosen 1

Quote from: ABâ„¢ on January 15, 2011, 01:27:18 pm
Arkansas has to be one of the worst offensive teams in the nation.  At least out of the top 8-10 conferences.  It's painful watching them try to score. 
I agree. And I believe it has everything to do with coaching.

AirWarren

Good win for the hogs. Should have done it against LSU but the important thing is we won today. Got to keep playing hard.

Brian G

Quote from: Chosen 1 on January 15, 2011, 04:59:08 pm
Quote from: AB™ on January 15, 2011, 01:27:18 pm
Yet no one has scored this many on Bama as of late.

Chosen 1

Quote from: B.G. on January 15, 2011, 05:18:45 pm
If you can watch the Razorbacks and see a well coached team, Please give me some of what you're taking.

Brian G

Quote from: Chosen 1 on January 15, 2011, 05:32:55 pm
If you can watch the Razorbacks and see a well coached team, Please give me some of what you're taking.
Did you read that in that post?

My point is if someone is going to bust on the Offense, then it's relevant that their point output was above the norm for this opponent.

That clutch curl play for a 2 for Clarke was one of his better play calls given the circumstances.

I'm not defening him ad nausem, just on point the O isn't that bad.

Father Guido

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 15, 2011, 02:54:24 pm
...Sanchez even hit a couple of pressure free shots to come from behind by 10.

Sanchez hit a couple of free throws AFTER the game was decided and gave us a bit more of a cushion.  I believe it was Wade who hit the two that put us up by 3,  right after Sanchez had misse two.  I'll give Sanchez credit for giving us some insurance, but he missed both free throws horribly when the game was on the line.

Brian G

Quote from: Father Guido on January 15, 2011, 05:44:02 pm
  I'll give Sanchez credit for giving us some insurance, but he missed both free throws horribly when the game was on the line.

Money.

Hoghead

Quote from: AirWarren on January 13, 2011, 01:00:59 am
Mizzou coach. That's who I wish we could get. Not gonna happen. Has too much success where he is.
Had Mike Anderson for the asking. But he was a Nolan Clone and we know everything dealing with Nolan had to be gone ! Pel will NEVER win like Nolan, NEVER !

ABâ„¢

January 15, 2011, 08:15:06 pm #129 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:16:57 pm by ABâ„¢
Quote from: B.G. on January 15, 2011, 05:40:33 pm
Quote from: Chosen 1 on January 15, 2011, 05:32:55 pm
Did you read that in that post?

My point is if someone is going to bust on the Offense, then it's relevant that their point output was above the norm for this opponent.

That clutch curl play for a 2 for Clarke was one of his better play calls given the circumstances.

I'm not defening him ad nausem, just on point the O isn't that bad.

When I made that post, it was in the first half of the game, when Arkansas was on 'point-per-minute' pace. 

Every time I've watched Arkansas play this year, it's painful to watch them try and execute in the halfcourt on offense.  The team's collective basketball IQ is terrible.  It's clear that everyone on this current Arkansas team is a slasher except Clarke.  Yet, Arkansas has too many guys that think they're Rotnei Clarke from three.  They have several perimeter players that can take their man off the bounce and get into the paint almost anytime they want.  Instead, they spend big chunks of games passing the ball around the perimeter and jacking up threes.  There's been several games where Arkansas will get up about 10-15 3PT shots in the first half and be shooting something like 20% as a team.  Yet, they continue to keep jacking them up.  Part of that is the coach's fault, but it also is the fault of the players for being so dumb. 

So, yes, when I made that post, the offense was THAT bad.  There was no flow and no continuity.  It was pathetic.  And that wasn't the first or even second time this year I've watched Arkansas spend most of the 1st half playing that way offensively. 

Brian G

Though several of your points are relevant, you more than most people know that basketball fluctates game-to-game, half-to-half and minute-to-minute.

That meaning, you can't eval a game until it's done.  In this case on this day on this court, the Hogs exceded the norm against this opponent.

gatecrasher

AB, I am not an expert on basketball by any stretch of the imagination (I now have two daughters playing; trying to learn more of the game for that reason)....

But that no-continuity, no-identity offense you describe, well, even I know it has been that way for the last two seasons. Am I wrong?

ABâ„¢

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 15, 2011, 10:26:16 pm
AB, I am not an expert on basketball by any stretch of the imagination (I now have two daughters playing; trying to learn more of the game for that reason)....

But that no-continuity, no-identity offense you describe, well, even I know it has been that way for the last two seasons. Am I wrong?

Yes, but like B.G. said, basketball is a weird game.  I just know that I've watched four Arkansas games in their entirety this year, and in all four they had large portions of the game where they had no structure offensively.  If it was a one game thing, then yes, I'd call it fluky, and not freak out or anything.

Now, for whatever reason, they seem to get much smarter in the last 12-15 minutes of games (like almost every team that ever played basketball that's behind late in a game) because they are normally losing and it raises player awareness.  If a team scores 65 points on their opponent that is allowing 60 points per game, then it doesn't really matter how they got there.  Today, Arkansas' offense looked much better in the second half.  Pelphrey made nice adjustments and the team responded.

There's a high school team I've watched every game they've played, and they remind me of what I see in Arkansas.  The offense goes through stretches where there's zero continuity and after one or two passes someone jacks up a three.  However, at the end of the game, they somehow find a way to score 55-65 points and are 13-1 on the season.  It's frustrating as all get out to watch them on offense sometimes, but in the end, if they get the W that's all that matters, and all coaches and players should ultimately care about. 

DerekOxford

10-6 in the West is still a real possibility. I see the schedule playing out like this the rest of the way.

1/19 at SC Loss
1/22 at Florida Loss
1/25 Auburn Win
1/29 at Vandy Loss
2/2 Georgia Win
2/5 Ole Miss Win
2/9 at MSU Win
2/12 LSU Win
2/16 Florida A&M Win
2/19 at Alabama Loss
2/23 Kentucky Loss (I want to say win here but UK is too tough, be nice if 18000,19000 plus showed up)
2/26 at Auburn Win
3/2 MSU Win
3/5 at Ole Miss Win

I would venture to say that would get 2nd place, maybe 1st depending on how everyone else does. Those last three games will be huge, especially if Arkansas can win all three (with two of them on the road).

Romeo

Quote from: ABâ„¢ on January 16, 2011, 01:09:08 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on January 15, 2011, 10:26:16 pm

Yes, but like B.G. said, basketball is a weird game.  I just know that I've watched four Arkansas games in their entirety this year, and in all four they had large portions of the game where they had no structure offensively.  If it was a one game thing, then yes, I'd call it fluky, and not freak out or anything.

Now, for whatever reason, they seem to get much smarter in the last 12-15 minutes of games (like almost every team that ever played basketball that's behind late in a game) because they are normally losing and it raises player awareness.  If a team scores 65 points on their opponent that is allowing 60 points per game, then it doesn't really matter how they got there.  Today, Arkansas' offense looked much better in the second half.  Pelphrey made nice adjustments and the team responded.

There's a high school team I've watched every game they've played, and they remind me of what I see in Arkansas.  The offense goes through stretches where there's zero continuity and after one or two passes someone jacks up a three.  However, at the end of the game, they somehow find a way to score 55-65 points and are 13-1 on the season.  It's frustrating as all get out to watch them on offense sometimes, but in the end, if they get the W that's all that matters, and all coaches and players should ultimately care about. 

That offensive structure is part of the reason why we have a hard time winning on the road. We don't beat Alabama if the game is in Tuscaloosa. The players seem to feed off the crowd which is why we can come back after being down almost the entire game.

gatecrasher

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 16, 2011, 02:33:01 am
10-6 in the West is still a real possibility. I see the schedule playing out like this the rest of the way.

1/19 at SC Loss
1/22 at Florida Loss
1/25 Auburn Win
1/29 at Vandy Loss
2/2 Georgia Win
2/5 Ole Miss Win
2/9 at MSU Win
2/12 LSU Win
2/16 Florida A&M Win
2/19 at Alabama Loss
2/23 Kentucky Loss (I want to say win here but UK is too tough, be nice if 18000,19000 plus showed up)
2/26 at Auburn Win
3/2 MSU Win
3/5 at Ole Miss Win

I would venture to say that would get 2nd place, maybe 1st depending on how everyone else does. Those last three games will be huge, especially if Arkansas can win all three (with two of them on the road).
My 10,000th post has to do with (sigh) the clusterfrick that is Arkansas basketball.

If they win 10 in SEC play I'll take back everything bad I have said about John Pelphrey publically, on this forum.

Not concerned about it, because it won't happen. I will, however, give him a mulligan through next season to see what he can do with a class that has been rated as high as #2 nationally.

20+ wins and a locked NCAA bid before the SEC tournament, or he has to go (in 2011-12)

Hoghead

Hogs are still NOT a good shooting team. They're a good athletic team. But shooting beyond 8ft from the basket they're a self checked team. Clark is the only guy who can actually shoot. Which for the life of me I can't understand. Why recruite D1 players who can't shoot ?  Duke and Coach K never take players who can't shoot or have any offensive skills. NEVER.......!!!!!

zebradynasty

I think I've posted it before but this team is NOT that talented! They are very limited offensively. There's only one player on the whole team that can create a shot...Powell the rest without help could be held scoreless on any given night. Offense look so much better with players that actual have offensive skills. To me the criticism of Pel should start there. Why can't we recruit players with offensive skills? He has upgraded the athleticism but not the skill level. I would like to think the lack of skill is the result of not being able to get the good players vs not being able to evaluate talent. The latter means we are in for one heck of ride next year!

Chosen 1

I'd also venture to say, Pel isn't good at developing players, or using the strengths of his players in his offensive schemes. (It's questionable if Pel has offensive schemes at times)

Romeo

A lot of these freshmen seem to be scorers out of high school but struggle once they get into college. Mardracus Wade had the reputation out of high school of being a good three point shooter but has struggled. I cringe everytime Marvell Waithe tries to shoot a three pointer. If your shooting 21 percent you don't need to be shooting three's.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Chosen 1 on January 17, 2011, 05:42:32 pm
I'd also venture to say, Pel isn't good at developing players, or using the strengths of his players in his offensive schemes. (It's questionable if Pel has offensive schemes at times)
[/b]

LOL! I feel your pain! Terrible execution. Go hogs!!

AirWarren

I'm thinking if this team gets hot shooting, we will be fine.

Chosen 1

Quote from: AirWarren on January 17, 2011, 11:03:55 pm
I'm thinking if this team gets hot shooting, we will be fine.
Pipe Dream.

AirWarren

I have no problem being optimistic about this team or coach.

Hoghead

I can take 6 guys from Northside Park and beat the Hogs !

cav2012

Are crap is not as bad as the rest of the sec west crap

Uncle Ivan

At South Carolina & Florida, Auburn at home, and at Vanderbilt.

Looks like 1-3 almost can be chiseled in stone, but 0-4 isn't impossible.  Pelphrey has an uncanny ability to F things up.

AT

Quote from: Romeo on January 17, 2011, 06:27:36 pm
A lot of these freshmen seem to be scorers out of high school but struggle once they get into college. Mardracus Wade had the reputation out of high school of being a good three point shooter but has struggled. I cringe everytime Marvell Waithe tries to shoot a three pointer. If your shooting 21 percent you don't need to be shooting three's.

Wade has the most potential besides Clarke to be a pretty good 3 point shooter for sure. He has a good stroke and has made some in conference play this year. I don't cringe every time he shoots it at least.

Jeff Peterson showed some 3 point shooting ability earlier this year, but he hasn't really showed it as of late. Maybe he will get his confidence back soon.

Romeo

Yeah, Wade has improved as of late. He's struggled from three point range as a whole because he's only shooting 20 percent but I don't feel he's been given a lot of opportunities to be a scorer until recent.

Romeo

Tweet from ESPN Andy Katz: SEC tournament is wide open. Won't be surprised by any team not named LSU, Auburn, Arkansas getting hot for three days and earning the bid.

Ouch.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas