• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLUB SOCCER RUMORS IN LITTLE ROCK

Started by michu, March 26, 2013, 09:40:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

michu

Quote from: fanofsiloam on March 29, 2013, 01:08:23 pm
Quote from: michu on March 29, 2013, 12:56:44 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2013, 11:51:54 am

They'll probably have to buy new uniforms.....again.
Can you say "Debbie Downer".

All of the local clubs buy uniforms once a year. Don't expect Rush teams to be wearing Red Bulls uniforms. They have they own brand to maintain.

The only reason I'm glad we are finished with this!  We had to buy a whole new kit for last year (even though we were in our last year of play) and if we had another year to go then there is another huge purchase for a brand new kit again!  there is no way that adidas is going to allow rush to not put their logo on their club unis.  Tough break for those still in the program.
All the costs associated with youth soccer is another topic of conversation all together. Rush teams will not be wearing adidas gear until next fall. Rush teams will continue to wear nike gear through the spring and summer.

snakebite

Yes, it sucks for the boys as they just bought new kits last fall.  For the girls, however, it will be their turn in the rotation.  For those who don't know, Rush typically keeps their uniforms for 2 years, with the boys and girls alternating years to purchase new ones.

Hopefully, with adidias, the uniforms will be less expensive, greater choice of acessories, and greater availability.  With Nike, they tended to be a little on the high side, limited selection, and became very hard to get certain pieces.  Especially here in Arkansas where the mentality (mandated by ASSA) is that clubs can't form teams until August.  Waiting to form teams in August also makes it hard to get into the tournaments held on Labor Day.  By then, the better tournament(s) brackets are already filled.

I suspect there will be a Red Bull patch on the uniform somewhere.

It's unfortunate that ODP does not work any better than it does.  Even though ODP does not shine as brightly with the college coaches and national coaches (to some extent), it's still a good venue.  My child has participated in ODP in the past and went to the regional camp one year..  But came back and said never again.  There have been changes to correct what went wrong but it was too late for my child.  And I think that's what keeps the better players away, I think.

Plus, the regional camps are always right there at the same time as the regional President's Cup.  You would think that since it's the same organization scheduling both of them, they would realize it and correct it.

While my children have never played other club sports, I don't know how much they actually cost to make a comparison.  But in talking with baseball/softball parents, all those different Wolrd Series they play in must get costly. 

fanofsiloam

Here are some additional thoughts on ODP...

When my son played during his younger years and participated in ODP, after coming back from regionals he said, "Mom, I'm not going back next year.  Why? Because I don't want to make the highlight reel as the team that gets scored on."  So he didn't go back for many years.

Here is another thought...
I was told that Robert Parr does not have any respect for soccer players outside of the Central AR area and that "there are no good soccer players outside of LR."  I hope this is not true.  But if it is, that would be a good reason NOT to play for him.

michu

Quote from: fanofsiloam on March 30, 2013, 07:31:46 am

Here is another thought...
I was told that Robert Parr does not have any respect for soccer players outside of the Central AR area and that "there are no good soccer players outside of LR."  I hope this is not true.  But if it is, that would be a good reason NOT to play for him.
Parr doesn't respect the players in NWA? They currently have nationally #16 ranked Springdale High School and U13 Boys Comets Premier who just this week competed in the Dallas Cup. I could be wrong, but I don't think an Arkansas team had ever competed in the Dallas Cup prior to Comets. I would say central Arkansas is behind NWA in terms of team success. No idea how many of those NWA kids are moving on to college soccer.

fanofsiloam

totally agree minchu, I just thought that if that his mental status on the players, then no wonder the program is still floundering.

Arbitro

Quote from: fanofsiloam on March 30, 2013, 07:31:46 am
I was told that Robert Parr does not...
Do you really think it is appropriate to publicly criticize someone based on hearsay?

coach cleats

You are totally wrong about Bob. He does not respect any players from Arkansas. Now if you are from Texas that's another story.

michu

Outside of running the states ODP program, what are the other responsibilities of Parr? If Arkansas continues to underachieve in player development and team success, isn't Parr partially responsible? I would like to know what he is doing to make things better. That's not a derogatory question, just simply want to know his role?

Arbitro

Last I heard, he was the ASSA Director of Coaching. That involves teaching multiple coaching courses and clinics around the state, outreach to new and prospective soccer associations, recruitment and training of ODP coaches, and no doubt other duties including administrative work in the ASSA office. How well he performs these duties (and any others), I have no knowledge.

michu

Soccer America's "Youth Soccer Reporter" article this morning about latest American, Ben Spencer Jr., to sign pro contract. Played his club soccer with New Mexico Rush. 

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/51022/norwegian-champion-signs-spencer-via-us-pipeline.html

offside

April 03, 2013, 01:24:07 pm #60 Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:11:31 pm by offside
We started out as an LRFC family and transitioned to the Rush.  At the time LRFC was a much stronger organization but we liked what the Rush was planning to develop and we have no regrets about going to the Rush.   We didn't leave LRFC because we didn't like the organization.  In fact, the LRFC team we left was a stronger team than the Rush team our son ultimately played for.  But the Rush proved to provide more opportunities and a philosophy of play we preferred.

I'm very competitive.  So leaving a winning team to go to a club that was almost overwhelmingly focused on player development/style of play over winning was hard.  The LRFC team ultimately was a better team (not dramatically better but definitely won more games against regionally strong teams).   My son plays college soccer now and he has no regrets about his Rush experience (and he would say college soccer is not the best way to continue develop young American players).

LRFC was a great organization but now seems to be drifting some.   I think the Rush needs to move aggressively into Little Rock/NLR to grow or it will plateau as a club.   The Blue Birds are also developing into a competitive Club.  And there are other smaller clubs. 

We parents sometimes get in the way of what would be best for soccer development in central Arkansas.  I think with our limited number of club players it would be better to have fewer clubs.   I think there would be advantages of having the Rush, LRFC or the Blue Birds become the two dominant clubs in central Arkansas.  Let two well organized clubs compete with each other and both have enough players and quality coaches to field multiple teams for different levels... with TECHNICAL Skills and STYLE OF PLAY having a little more emphasis over winning.   Let high school soccer put a greater emphasis on winning.     

LR_Dad

As the parent of a younger child, I think the frustration is easily identified....a lack of clarity on the best "path".  We're still in the "having fun" stage, but my son is a good player and a good athlete.  I'd like to expose him to the best programs/clubs because he currently loves the sport.  He plays basketball, baseball, etc. and the paths in those sports are a little more evident.  Soccer loses players as they get older (at least in LR) due to a lack of structure and clarity....so I've been told.

Rush sounds promising for all the reasons that have already been stated in this thread.  We're at LRFC for now, but a program like RUSH sounds very enticing as he gets older.  Soccer in LR needs a club that provides better communication and stronger coaching. If LRFC can improve, that would be great too.

Sportsaholic94

Just ask the kids who left LRFC for Rush... Most of them will give you an honest opinion of both clubs. And honestly, most of them are playing college soccer now because of the Rush. Like everyone has said multiple times... If you want to play college soccer then Rush is the play to be. If you want to focus on winning state championships, then LRFC is the place to be. And really, neither one is the right/wrong choice. It's totally up to the player

michu

LRFC is run by a board of local parents while the Rush was established and organized by "soccer folks". I am sure the LRFC board members are outstanding citizens, but how much do they know about the game and running a youth soccer club, especially the classic level programs? Regardless of the activity, you want people running the show who have the experience and know what they are doing. The Rush has teams winning national titles and players representing our country on our youth national teams. The same structure in place for those players and teams is now available locally. If i am the parent of a young player who is developing a love for the game and wanting to get better, then the decision of club choice seems pretty obvious to me.

snakebite

Those are the very reasons we decided to stay with Rush when my child's team left to go to LRFC.  And it has paid off like we had hoped.  It wasn't easy and was costly at times, but the system worked for us.  We saw other kids arounds us getting the chance to take advantage of all those opportunities that Rush can offer on the regional and national levels.  And when those opportunities came our way, we took advantage of them as well.

When you look out there at the older kids during training, they come from all over the state.  That's why it is called Arkansas Rush, not Conway Rush.

Rey Pygsterio

What age groups are some of you people talking about here? Because if you are talking about U8 or below and the primary focus is not on having fun and creating a great childhood experience, you are making a serious mistake.

Phase II of youth soccer starts in U9. I am hoping no one is moving their kids to "the Rush" with dreams of college national championships earlier than that.

michu

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on April 05, 2013, 09:22:52 am
What age groups are some of you people talking about here? Because if you are talking about U8 or below and the primary focus is not on having fun and creating a great childhood experience, you are making a serious mistake.

Phase II of youth soccer starts in U9. I am hoping no one is moving their kids to "the Rush" with dreams of college national championships earlier than that.
This conversation is in regards to classic/competitive soccer only or more specifically the U11+ age groups. Rec soccer in the younger age groups is about fun and hopefully an environment that fosters a love for the game.

Nobody is saying anything about winning national championships at the college level either. It's about developing players to continue playing at the college level which includes all collegiate levels (NAIA, DI-DIII, etc).

Finally, there is nothing wrong with dreams and that includes scoring the winning goal in a World Cup final. That is what youth sports is all about. Hitting grand slam in World Series or last second three in Final Four. Work hard and make those dreams a reality.

offside

April 05, 2013, 12:59:50 pm #67 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:50:39 pm by offside
I don't intend to come off as a soccer elitist (as I love American Football too -- Root Hog or die!).

But if you're an athlete (and don't play Pee Wee Football or Pop Warner) and don't end up getting serious about football until you are 12 or 13 you can still become an elite football player.

But it's much more difficult to become an elite soccer player if you are not touching the ball starting at 4, 5 and 6 years old.  And touching the ball a lot!  We often see a fast kid who is a great athlete dominate in youth soccer and even high school soccer.  But an elite teenage club soccer player, an elite college player (and certainly a pro player) are great athletes that have the technical skills to match their speed and athleticism.

Today it would be nearly impossible to start playing soccer at 13 and someday make it to an MLS roster (and MLS isn't a top tier pro league).  To have the technical skills with your feet (and head and chest) you have to start playing soccer at a very early age.

So I'm not suggesting you have to be all serious about soccer as a 4 to 10 year-old, it's got to be fun too.  But if you are not touching the ball and playing soccer year round you will very likely not be an elite soccer player.   We already use our hands so much as part of daily living so the jump to high level coordination in most sports is a much easier learning curve than achieving control that great soccer players have with their feet.

Good soccer clubs have programs for the littlest players and I know parents who come from soccer playing countries or were college soccer players themselves will have their kids touching the ball as soon as they can walk.  Bottom Line:  little kids need to play pick-up soccer as soon as possible.  And participation in a quality soccer club needs to start at an early age.

snakebite

For those who requested it, information about Arkansas Rush tryouts is listed on their website, www.arkansasrush.com.  There is also information about their summer camps and U19-23 summer men's team.

Rey Pygsterio

Who requested it?

You don't know what goes into becoming an elite soccer player. If you don't fall in love with the game first, you can forget it. If you are being drilled like you are in Olympic training at U8, you can forget it. Those kids are going to quit as soon as they figure out they can.

My biggest problem with this club versus high school debate is that people want to dictate the program based on catering to "elite" players. Exactly what percentage of all soccer players will end up as "elite"? Five percent? So why are we ruining it for the other 95 percent?

channa1

I want to comment on Rush. The way that they run their club makes soccer so fun and available every day if a kid wants to come play that often. It's great. Little rock should be so lucky. I wish rush would come to Russellville.

snakebite

Back on March 27th, Michu asked if I had the Arkansas Rush tryout information and I said I would pass it on as soon as I was aware of it.

Rey, you are correct.  I do not know everything that goes into becoming an elite soccer player.  That's why our kids played for Rush.  They do have a strong track record of training and producing elite players. 

But I have raised a child who has committed to a DI school to play soccer on scholarship in a couple of years.  I don't know everything about the development process for "elite" players or the whole college recruiting process.  But I did take the time to go get a National coaching license when my children were younger and I did learn a little about the player development process.  Both Arkansas Rush and National Rush played a very key role in the development of my child as a player and by providing opportunities to play in nationally recognized showcases, leagues, and tournaments. Arkansas Rush also has their CAP program that guides players through the college recruiting process.

I am not sure what you mean by catering to the "elite" players.  I invite you to come watch a training session and see for yourself.  The kids are all getting the same training.  If you train the whole group the same, they all get what they need or want out of it.  It's all based on technical and tactical aspects of the game.  Do the "less than elite" players get as much out of it as the others?  Probably not.  But everyone leaves the pitch after a good training session, while being "pushed" by equal or better players.  Keep in mind, I am strictly speaking about the competitive side of the program.

For those players who want to play rec soccer, those teams practice as individual teams with their volunteer coach.  As far as U8 and younger players, Arkansas Rush has their inter-club teams just like most every other club in the state.

Basically, if you as a player, want to be trained to become an "elite" player, Arkansas Rush will put you in the training sessions with players better than you are.  If you want to just play for fun and recreation or just stay in shape for high school soccer, then there are teams for those players as well.  The love of the game develops at an early age and if those players who show a passion and above average athletic ability are not offered the opportunity to be pushed "by others", then they go play football or something else.

IMHO (as well as the Rush philosophy), if you cater to the mediocre, then that's the best you will end up with.  Rush trains the player, not the team.

In addition to the original post that started this thread, the Arkansas Rush Spring Newsletter said to watch their Facebook page for more information regarding their presence in Little Rock this fall.

Lowguards

Wow. Your son has already been offered a scholarship and committed to a Division I program? Without revealing your identity, can I ask what high school he plays for? I do enjoy hearing about and/or watching high caliber soccer players here in Arkansas.

sevenof400

I have to admit I am still watching and wondering how Rush is going to expand given the (current) low number of teams it has in the classic ranks.  With participation numbers down everywhere, where is the funding coming from? 

Whatever the answer to that question is, it still pales in comparison to the health of the game in the state overall.  These are some important, but hard, questions to consider. 

football nut

April 27, 2013, 11:17:58 pm #74 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:14:04 am by football nut
Rush is the way to go in central Arkansas.

Rush_Soccer

April 28, 2013, 05:18:53 pm #75 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:05:05 pm by Rush_Soccer
Having followed this thread for the past month, I feel that there now needs to be more balance and perspective with regards to the topic of Arkansas Rush entering the Little Rock soccer picture.  While there are many positives to the Rush philosophy, there are many similarities to every other club in the region.  In addition, there are many, very qualified, professional coaches within the ranks of the major clubs in the state, not just inexperienced dads as one poster alluded to.   

Much has been made of the options available to the Rush membership at large by Michu and others in previous posts.  Taking for granted that Snakebite's child, most likely daughter, has probably had some opportunities to guest play with other Rush teams, been chosen for Rush Select tournaments, etc., these are the very rare exception rather than the norm.  Yes, there have been opportunities for a very few but to this point, most have been for females who played for the former DOC who has taken a more high-profile postion with Virginia Rush.  Many more of the Rush membership have had success through ODP, as opposed to select or guest play opportunities, which is in line with most other clubs. 

To address the notion that Arkansas Rush is for "elite" players is to overstate the club's mission which is simply to provide training for every player that will allow them to reach their maximum potential for the next level whether that be playing for the high school team or receiving an athletic scholarship to play in college.   The honest truth is that there are no "elite" players in Arkansas.  Four Arkansas Rush '95-96 girls, who had been coached by the previous Director of Coaching (DOC) and chose not to play for their respective high school teams, have played in a limited role for the Virginia Rush ENCL (Elite Clubs National League).  Two played with the U-16 girls that finished in last place with a 1-16 record and a goal difference of -52 in the Midatlantic Conference.  The other two played with the U-17's that finished last with an identical record and a goal difference of -64.  Neither team qualified for regional or national tournaments.

There are good players, even very good, but to present the Rush as the only destination for college-bound players is just not true.  There have been plenty of kids from many clubs thoughout the state that have received college opportunities, even at the coveted Division I level, that have not been trained by the Rush nor had the national opportunities that have been touted.  A few D-I commitments come to mind, Taylor Estrada (Bentonville High School/NWAL) to Kansas, Brooke Ballard (Conway High School/Arkansas Soccer Club) to UALR , William Hildalgo (Cabot High School/Cabot Predators) to Saint Louis University, Wesley Carson (Fort Smith Southside/Fort Smith Express) to Central Arkansas.  That said, Rush has had two players sign Division I scholarships to date, Alexandria Carter (Conway High School) to Kentucky and Hunter Weber (Little Rock Central) to Alabama-Birmingham.  I am sure I missed a few and will be corrected.  Most resently, there have been many more throughout the state, representing many clubs, that have signed with DII, DIII, NAIA and Junior Colleges as well. 

The club has been in transition since 2007 when the board of CUSA (Conway United Soccer Association) invited the Rush to come to Arkansas and in doing so, paid a very healthy monetary premium to join the national club.  The original focus of the former DOC had always been to "recruit" players, rather than develop from the younger ranks due to his belief that by doing so, he could speed up the building process.  Another option was to look to merge with other clubs which resulted in taking on the competitive teams from the Jonesboro Craighead County Soccer Association (JCCSA) in 2010.  This did not result in the desired influx of player registrations and associated fees that was needed to expand the club.

Another discussion point would be the thought that training all age groups together is a unique and an exclusive training tool to the Rush.  While there are benefits to doing so for players that are within a year or so of each other, the actual reason was out of necessity.  Having lost players from 2007 to 2012, the DOC needed to reduce costs to cover club expenses and salaries which meant letting the paid coaching staff go.  This left the DOC as the only trainer for all competitive age groups until the current Director of Operations (DOO)was hired in May of 2012.  After the previous DOC left for Virginia Rush, the DOO hired a DOC who had previously been a staff coach for LRFC.  Both now coach multiple teams in addition to their day to day club management positions. 

To address sevenof400's concerns, the current need for the club is to add as many players and teams as possible to increase revenue and improve the balance sheet.  This will only be accomplished by increasing membership.  Had the focus, in 2007-08, been to build from the bottom starting at the younger ages for developmental and academy teams along side the competitive component, the club would probably not be experiencing the pressing needs that is has today. 

For those who are interested in making a club change, be sure to do the due diligence.  Nothing is as good as it seems, nor as bad.  If you are looking for individual player development, rather than team goals and winning, Arkansas Rush is a viable option.  If you or your player is looking to win championships as the primary goal, look to other clubs.  Be sure to have your player attend as many club tryouts as possible to gain a perspective of what is right for him or her.   

C Town

I will say, in the past 2 years, Rush has produced 4 Division 1 players. I don't know how many D-1 players LRFC has produced but I don't think it's 4. Rush is improving players.

Rey Pygsterio

Great post by Rush Soccer. I do not mean to trash Rush because I really know very little about the program. Based on that post, I'd say they have a great perspective on youth soccer and are trying to do the right things.

My issue is with all the other people talking about how Rush is the savior if you want your child to be an elite player. Rush Soccer said it exactly right -- there are NO elite players who have ever come from Arkansas.

So why would we be tailoring our entire youth system to "develop" elite players? Obviously what some adults seem to think creates elite youth players DOES NOT WORK.

You guys want to start solving the soccer problem in this state? Just like there is so much emphasis in education right now at the pre-kindergarten level, we need to be instilling in those U5 to U8 players that soccer is the funnest activity they will ever be involved in.

If we put anything above fun for kids at this level, it is a failure. It makes me so ill to hear all these parents and coaches screaming "PASS" and "CROSS" at 7-year-olds. Like I said before, those adults may think they are teaching the kids how to play, but what they are really teaching them is that soccer is not fun and they are going to quit the game as soon as they figure out they can.

Make soccer fun for the first phase of the game, and when they are older you will have to tell them to get off the field. Right now, we are mostly begging kids to get on it.

LR_Dad

Rey - i appreciate your perspective, but i disagree with you.  Soccer isn't losing players because parents are coaching them too hard.  If that was the case...baseball would lose virtually every player before they turned 12!  Soccer loses players for MANY other reasons.

The top sports (football, basketball, baseball) have a great deal of support within the various school districts.  Soccer doesn't receive that type of support...yet.  I think that is slowly changing, but it will take time.  Therefore, club soccer is the primary option if kids want to play competitively when they reach 11+ years of age.  Club soccer is quite fragmented in Central Arkansas because no one club has "taken charge" and provided opportunities for the kids who want to focus on soccer.

My child has never played for the Rush program, but their philosophy sounds interesting.  I think a club that focuses on player development can still be fun and foster a long term "love" for the sport.

Lowguards

Referring to Rush_Soccer's post: I must ask if the Rush organization is in some sort of financial distress? How will this affect the club's mission going forward? If the goal is to "add as many players and teams as possible to increase revenue and improve the balance sheet" will the club's emphasis will shift from "player development" to a servicing of the masses in an effort to generate funds? It sounds like previous DOC made some decisions back in 2007-8 that were ultimately detrimental to the club's growth and its ability to provide services in the soccer community. I truly hope that the new DOC can help the club resolve their "pressing needs." From what I gather they have a decent product. Maybe he's the guy that "take charge" in the Little Rock area?

michu

Quote from: Rush_Soccer on April 28, 2013, 05:18:53 pm

Four Arkansas Rush '95-96 girls, who had been coached by the previous Director of Coaching (DOC) and chose not to play for their respective high school teams, have played in a limited role for the Virginia Rush ENCL (Elite Clubs National League).  Two played with the U-16 girls that finished in last place with a 1-16 record and a goal difference of -52 in the Midatlantic Conference.  The other two played with the U-17's that finished last with an identical record and a goal difference of -64.  Neither team qualified for regional or national tournaments.
Some very good nuggets of info in rush_soccer post, but above quote is absolutely ridiculous. These girls are getting the opportunity to play in the top girls league in the country. Every ECNL game they play includes college and national team scouts. Record doesn't matter. Quality of games and exposure is what its all about for these girls. No other local club gives these girls this opportunity. This is very cool and these girls must be pretty dang good.

Sockers Kid

That '95-'96 Rush team is so overrated! They got completely Hammered by the '97 Comets Girls team that's two years younger. It ended 3-0 and Rush was very lucky it wasn't 8-0. A completely dominated game with about 80% possession for the Comets younger team, back in the November for state cup. Comets even received a red card in the last 15 mins of play and I can't even remember if the Rush team even touched the ball in the last 15 mins of the match, while having the extra player. If anything, the two year younger Comets team displayed how the game should be played through high level quality training & coaching. They literally put on a clinic!

Player Development is built on high level coaching, commitment and continuity!

BTW... The '95 Lightning Team drilled the Rush team team, as well in PL league and state cup. Doug Estrada's team has a team full of players going on to play Division 1 & collegiate ball at all levels.   

Keep it perspective. There's nothing special about the Rush Club or this particular team. Just another team and club trying to recruit players instead of developing they're own for the benefit of a couple of good players.

arsoccer

Quote from: michu on May 01, 2013, 10:47:25 am
Quote from: Rush_Soccer on April 28, 2013, 05:18:53 pm

Four Arkansas Rush '95-96 girls, who had been coached by the previous Director of Coaching (DOC) and chose not to play for their respective high school teams, have played in a limited role for the Virginia Rush ENCL (Elite Clubs National League).  Two played with the U-16 girls that finished in last place with a 1-16 record and a goal difference of -52 in the Midatlantic Conference.  The other two played with the U-17's that finished last with an identical record and a goal difference of -64.  Neither team qualified for regional or national tournaments.
Some very good nuggets of info in rush_soccer post, but above quote is absolutely ridiculous. These girls are getting the opportunity to play in the top girls league in the country. Every ECNL game they play includes college and national team scouts. Record doesn't matter. Quality of games and exposure is what its all about for these girls. No other local club gives these girls this opportunity. This is very cool and these girls must be pretty dang good.

I don't get what makes the previous post ridiculous.   He is simply stating facts.  I also find it interesting that all the AR rush minions get on here and bash the idea of attending USYS regionals with the arguement that AR teams can't compete, but you defend sending these players to a team and in a league where they can't compete using the argument that it's a high level league and there are college coaches present.  Last time I checked regionals was a decent level and there were several college coaches there to watch.  Not discounting what you say and I think it's a good thing for those players to be a part of that league, simply saying that you can't have it both ways.  Either it's a good thing to send teams and players into an environment that is a high level where they will get exposure or it isn't.

Rush_Soccer

May 01, 2013, 01:28:48 pm #83 Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:41:46 pm by Rush_Soccer
To address a few points, first to the question of finances by Lowguards.  I do not see distress at this point however having reduced the staff a year ago to one full-time paid staff member and now employing two directors, (the new DOC came on in January) it is apparent that there will be a need to increase revenue this fall to cover the expenses. 

Second, to address the notion by Michu that my statement was ridiculous is to not understand the facts.  I am making the point that there are no "elite" players in Arkansas.  Only players on "Elite" (as in Elite Clubs National League) teams whose DOC was formerly with AR Rush.  Those four players are very good and will all play college soccer on scholarship, most at the Division I level.  I expect those VA Rush ENCL teams will compete nationally as the years go by but it is another venture into a new arena for the club.  It is another example of player development over team success as well.

Third, to address the notion by Sockers Kid who suggested that the AR Rush 95's and 96's were overrated is to again not understand the Rush organization.  Not one mention was made of a rating or ranking of any Rush team, just that the four ENCL girls played on those two teams.  Most of the players on both teams were playing up, many several years.  The '96 Rush team was playing with players as young as U13 and U14 and the '95's with U15's and 16's.  A team must register to play at the level of its oldest rostered player.  This is another just example of player development over tournament trophies.  Also, SockersKid has no idea of whether or not the Rush organizaion has high-level coaches or commitment.  The requirement for all Rush coaches worldwide is that the have played and/or coached at the collegiate level.  No other club in Arkansas can make that statement.

Once again, if you or your player desires individual development over team trophies, the Rush organization remains a viable option, even Sockers Kid would be welcomed...

Sockers Kid

I find it absolutely Hilarious how Rush_Soccer uses the world "World Wide" as though Rush is some kind of International Football Club. Relax big guy. We're talking about youth soccer in Arkansas. The football in Arkansas is getting better but has along way to go to the likings of Texas & California to name a few states. As for your club... It's definitely a "Rogue Club" that is only attempting to recruit the talented kid with money. You guys can't even field a decent team locally because you claim your best players are playing abroad. What kind of team has four different age groups on one team??? I'll tell what kind of team that is... It's a team that can not develop their own & doesn't have the numbers to field a true age group team. The coaches at Rush are not developing because those guys haven't been given the opportunity to because of the ridiculous plan of having "Band-Aid" teams for the benefit of several players. They recruit every year and obviously come up short. They are in such dire need of quality players because they don't develop they own, that they are even reaching out to NWA & Memphis for players. Obviously the club is having serious financial issues, as well. The funny thing is... This ECNL ploy to make people believe that thats where kids will get recruited is also ABSURD! As for the ECNL, it's not the same league it used to be. It's grown so much that a big part of it is money now. As mention earlier, I'm sure those Rush kids are having a great time being on the short end of a drubbing week in week out.  Only the teams at the top of the table are truly being looked at. News Flash... Quality Showcases, Regional Premier Leagues, Regionals (not Rush President Cups Regionals) & ID College Soccer Camps are another great platform & avenue to be seen.

Just stating the facts! Get over the nonsense! Cat is out of the bag!

michu

Soccer Kid, please keep posting because you are entertaining. Anybody hammering on kids while trying to define their experience as it relates to their development is sad. Get over yourself and your NWA bias.
This conversation is just about better options for developing kids in central Arkansas.
Finally, if you did your homework before posting, you would know that Rush is the largest youth soccer club in the world, with clubs all around the globe.

C Town

Rush soccer you did miss two other players the past two years that signed to play at the division one level. Hayden Heverling (LR Central/Arkansas Rush) went to UCA as well as Evan Scarbrough (Searcy High School/Arkansas Rush) that signed to play for the University of Arkansas at Birmingham

coach cleats

coach cleats

I bet the comet 97 girls would play them in a friendly!!

Rush_Soccer

May 01, 2013, 07:01:58 pm #89 Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:48:01 pm by Rush_Soccer
Thanks C Town,as I said in my original post, I missed a few and would be corrected.

Michu, youthful ignorance is bliss and Sockers Kid reminded us all of this fact...I applaud him in letting the masses know how far behind central Arkansas soccer is as compared to the football being played in the Northwest corridor.  Not once did I disparage anyone or infer that the Rush concept is superior to anyone.  On the contrary, I recognized that there are good clubs, coaches and teams thoughout Arkansas.

Sockers Kid fails to remember that the AR Rush 95 Girls were the only team from the state, boys or girls, who had ever won a game in a regional event a few years ago.  I am not sure that that has changed to date.  That team made it to the finals of the national President's Cup tournament, only losing by a single goal in a penalty shootout.  The same team made it to the final four the next year losing in the semifinals to the eventual national champion.  That same group of girls also had a two year record of 43-1 for Conway High School.  This included an undefeated 22-0 record and the 7A Arkansas High School State Championship.  They completed the following season with a record of 21-1, losing only to Taylor Estrada and the Bentonville girls in the final game, if my recollection is correct.

The facts are that Arkansas Rush is in it's sixth year of existence.  It has been and always will be driven by a players first mentality where professional coaches run the day to day operations of the club and player development is the primary concern. 

There are some issues to consider if you want to join the most progressive and proactive club concept in Arkansas, as well as internationally.

The major oversell that brought me to comment in the first place was a poster stating as fact that the Rush is for the "elite" player, and as such, he or she would become the next national Rush select team player.  If anything, my thoughts are to make sure that only players and parents of like mind make the decision to give the club an opportunity and want to take their game to the next level.  The Rush does not need players with attitudes and visions of grandeur, just hard working kids that have similar desires and are willing to give all it takes to improve their individual skills rather than want to be a superstar on a state championship team that never wins a game at regional's.

snakebite

Ok, since we are all setting the record straght, let's not forget Hannah Mcntyre '93 playing for UALR and Jena Kelley, '93 playing at ASU.

Also, it was the Rush '94 girls who were the finalist at the National President's Cup.  There have been many teams from the state to win games at Regional events, but none, save the Rush '94 girls to win regional event and go onto the National Cup.

And as far as the NWA '95 girls team, no one can deny their success over the years.  Same goes for the LRFC '91 boys (I think?)  It just goes to show that every once in a while enough of the top echelon players in the state will end up on the same team and stay together long enough to have some success outside the state. 

Lowguards

@Rush_Soccer - Your quote that the AR Rush Girls were the only team from the state, boys or girls, who had ever won a game in a regional event" is a terribly incorrect. With even a little bit of due diligence you would have discovered that several boys and girls teams from both Central and Northwest Arkansas have won games and advanced at Southern Regionals. While you have bashed the former DOC for his lack of vision for the club, I feel confident that he would have known a little more about the (limited, very limited) history of AR soccer.

I too was wondering about the mixed age teams at Rush, if they weren't simply a result of low numbers and a lack of coaches (after the others were released due to lack of funds)? I hit at the low numbers and lack of finances again because I wonder if the desire/need to increase both will lead to nasty recruiting war between clubs, further fragmenting the most important thing in the equation: the quality players. Whether the stated objective is to win trophies or develop high caliber players (though I fail to see how those don't go hand in hand... Wouldn't high caliber players win trophies?) the group with the largest amount of quality players will certainly have a head start in reaching their goal.

I won't comment on the players from any club that have signed or currently play at any local or out of state universities as that could be interpreted as attacks on the players. However, I do enjoy the discussion about youth development in the state of AR. I think we can all agree that our shared desire is to raise the level of soccer across the board in the natural state.

NWAguy

"Sockers Kid fails to remember that the AR Rush 95 Girls were the only team from the state, boys or girls, who had ever won a game in a regional event a few years ago.  I am not sure that that has changed to date.  That team made it to the finals of the national President's Cup tournament, only losing by a single goal in a penalty shootout.  The same team made it to the final four the next year losing in the semifinals to the eventual national champion"

There was a comets boys team u-16 team a few years back that won their group at the region III finals. Not the presidents cup regionals. The real regionals.

michu

I think we would all like to see the level of soccer raised which includes player development and team success. The last post was correct in the fact that the two should go hand in hand. Team success will happen when the stronger players in our area are playing together at earlier ages. I am not saying U5-U10, but when kids reach the classic age groups. The combination of the right players, good coach, and club training system starting earlier rather than later is whats going on around the country.

michu

Are we the only state in region III to never win a Southern Regional?

coach cleats

And every club will do everything in their power to get those players.

C Town

I'm sorry, I meant the University if Alabama at Birmingham

coach cleats

I don't know about that. Mississippi also perhaps ? I do know the comets 97 girls qualified for the southern premiere league next fall. Not too shabby.

Sockers Kid

Michu, you okay? You need a hug? Don't be so sensitive. Its going to be okay, tough guy! No one is bashing kids. Just starting facts about the '95-'96 team, since they were used as an example. Don't feed us that Sour Kool-Aid that since Rush is the biggest club from an organization stand point, that they're legit or something. "Give me a break!" We're taking about the Arkansas Rush! Not the Colorado Rush. 

No NWA bias here! I'm a fan of the game & have been in this game my entire life and have played at the highest level and coached for years for a few of the finest youth clubs in the country. I'm not even from the area... I do business in LR, NWA, Texas, California & Europe. I follow the game because I enjoy watching from a distance the High School game as well as the Club game in Arkansas since I no longer am involved.

Explain to me why Nathan Hunt (The Rush Director) coaches 5 different teams??? yeah... thats definitely quality coaching and just what your kid needs.... a coach thats stretched real thin. You really think for a second those kids are getting the detail attention they need from an overwhelmed coach?

Changing gears... I feel that Arkansas has the opportunity like Texas did in the 70's to grow and establish a melting pot of a high level quality program in LR as well NWA. The problem is everyone is so against merging and doing whats right for the kids. The biggest issue in Arkansas is EGO's!!! You can sell all you want about the Rush from Arkansas... It's a feeder to the Rush organization or should I say "The Barcelona Global Rush" (whatever!). Global... Please! Save it!

Why doesn't LRFC, BlueBirds, Rush etc merge and create something great. The same goes for NWA with Lighting & Comets! You can't tell me that the coaching at Arkansas Rush is top notch, because its definitely behind the BlueBirds & Comets organizations. I've been to numerous Rush games and the coaching and play is below average at best.

For one... the BlueBirds has three USSF 'A' Lic coaches and two of them played professionally in England. They're doing great things with their young program. Light years ahead of Rush.

The Comets have three coaches as well with a UEFA 'A' Lic, a USSF  'A' Lic & one USSF 'B' Lic coach & several with the USSF 'C' Lic. Between the three of their top coaches, they have played for the US National Team, Iranian National Team and professionally in England. Year in year out, the Comets put players in college and continue to be the top club in the State with zero financial help & low numbers. They develop! Also, they had two teams in the 90's in two different genders get to the USYSA Region III Finals and Semi-Finals. The only team to have done that to date.

Humor me with your staff's qualifications. Bottom line... It's all about coaching (which means a qualified coaching staff) that can provide player development. Don't take it personal. And  why don't you get over yourself about feeding parents a bunch false information from a rogue club. All of these silly stats about The Rush winning or doing well at "Presidents Cup" is Absolutely Hilarious! Are you serious???That's where you hang your hat and measure your success??? Your talking about a silver level Mickey Mouse tourney. Play with the big boys and girls and face off against the top teams in the state... the '95 Lighting Girls Team, '96 Comets Team, '97 Comets Girls Team, '00 Comets Boys Team... All of these teams are playing and competing at the regional level. They're not get crushed like your typical Rush team at the ECNL league. I don't here of any Rush or LR teams currently competing with these teams. Feel free to help me out, because I'd love to hear that there's teams from LR or Rush that are doing well, besides your local tourney at Burns Park. With the numbers you have in LR, why isn't there more success from the club level? The fact is, your still way behind the curve!

LR_Dad

Soccer's Kid...you seem to have all the answers, so enlighten us of a few things:

1) What LR Clubs have refused to merge?  Maybe it was LRFC or possibly the Bluebirds?  You are correct that LR has too many clubs, but the existing clubs are the problem.
2) What teams do the "A" Bluebirds coaches actually coach?  Seems those coaches spend time with players who have a certain last name....not all of the teams?
3) Don't deny your NWA bias, but help us understand why NWA soccer is so much better.
4) How old are you? I think that would shed some light on your "insights".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas