• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coaches who use profanity towards their players

Started by GBHog, December 06, 2009, 01:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Fan

There's a time and place for pretty much everything. As I deal with a lot of teenagers, they often have trouble with deciding what behavior is appropriate. A lot of that is because of adults in their life who never grew up. Most people never know what an impact they have on kids.

Billyo62

Quote from: True Fan on December 08, 2009, 03:58:39 pm
There's a time and place for pretty much everything. As I deal with a lot of teenagers, they often have trouble with deciding what behavior is appropriate. A lot of that is because of adults in their life who never grew up. Most people never know what an impact they have on kids.

You mean people like Tiger Woods who cusses throws his clubs and Cheats on his wife with any gal with wide legs and yet spends Millions of dollars and his valuable time to help kids...  or did I miss your point?

Kids aren't as stupid as you think!

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

My dad and I had a discussion about this a while back. I played sports from youth thru high school and remember a few of my jr. high and high school coaches not only using profanity, but also going into tirades. But the ironic thing is, I loved and respected most, if not all of my coaches. Sure if a coach doesn't use profanity, great, but I personally never held it against them if they did because they not only taught me about football, bball, etc., but about life as well. My dad was in the coaching profession (basketball, football,track, etc) for 37 years and I can recall a few slipups on the field or court, but he was and still is a man of principle and good character.

Billyo62

I coached U-Trip baseball for ten years , ages 9 to 12 and I never used Blue Language at any kids I coached, but I did spew out some bad words in the dug out at times , but NEVER directed toward any players and I only had one mama in 10 years that had a problem with it.....  Lighten up.

washedup

People lose credibility when they screw up (Tiger Woods) they can throw all the money they want into charities but it won't make them a good person.

Billyo62

Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 05:29:40 pm
People lose credibility when they screw up (Tiger Woods) they can throw all the money they want into charities but it won't make them a good person.

Yes...... Now we can say that.... but before this he was an angel to the poor...Now because of the backlash of his discressions he should hold on to all his money because sponsers will yank huge dollars away from him....

True Fan

Quote from: Billyo62 on December 08, 2009, 04:48:05 pm
or did I miss your point?

Yep. I'm not talking about stars. They know their power. I'm talking about everyday Joe's who think they are just living their own life.

Quote from: Billyo62 on December 08, 2009, 04:48:05 pm
Kids aren't as stupid as you think!

That's not my meaning at all. Kids have way more info availible to them. It's almost information overload. My mom missed a couple of the Funk & Wagnalls at Safeway, so there's a lot of stuff I didn't know till I got older.

There was a clear line when I was a kid about where that type of language was okay. Listen around a group of kid to how the boys talk to the girls. And how the girls talk. They have trouble knowing when to watch their mouth.

If you think that's fine. Good for you. That's your choice.

It's not mine.

washedup

That's just how our society is changing. That's why the people with power and influence need to watch every step and consider every decision they make as if it effects other people. In a way it does effect other people.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 08:01:52 pm
That's just how our society is changing. That's why the people with power and influence need to watch every step and consider every decision they make as if it effects other people. In a way it does effect other people.
now all we have is tim tebow. he is perfect and will never let us down like tiger.

truebluefootball

I've played football for nine years and i've had coachs that used profanity and coachs that haven't but if they did it never hurt me. So it should be the same so yall. Coachs get mad and might let one slip its no big deal poeple use profanity all the time

Coach Venny Slocombe

December 09, 2009, 11:00:07 am #60 Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:15:55 pm by Coach Venny Slocombe
Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 10:15:12 am
As hard as it might be to believe football isn't about winning on friday night that just a plus. Football is about building people skills and work ethic. The man that teaches you those things is your coach. He's your example the one you look to when you do not know what to do or you do what he's done in that situation. That's why a coach should lead by example and not worthless words. That's not only a message about coaching its a message to anyone in general.
If football is not about winning on Friday night's then why do coaches lose their jobs when they don't win? Friday night football is about winning. Your statement sounds like T-Ball where every kid gets a trophy for participating. This is about competition and winning. I don't believe that a coach should just single out a kid and curse him for ten minutes over a blown assignment, but if the coach happens to drop a couple of bombs then so be it. Kids hear alot worse with their friends and sometimes family. People need to take their diapers off their kids and let them grow up. IF you don't like it then take your kid to the band room, maybe the band director doesn't curse.........

colts52

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 09, 2009, 11:00:07 am
Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 10:15:12 am
As hard as it might be to believe football isn't about winning on friday night that just a plus. Football is about building people skills and work ethic. The man that teaches you those things is your coach. He's your example the one you look to when you do not know what to do or you do what he's done in that situation. That's why a coach should lead by example and not worthless words. That's not only a message about coaching its a message to anyone in general.
If football is not about wining on Friday night's then why do coaches lose their jobs when they don't win? Friday night football is about winning. Your statement sounds like T-Ball where every kid gets a trophy for participating. This is about competition and winning. I don't believe that a coach should just single out a kid and curse him for ten minutes over a blown assignment, but if the coch happens to drop a couple of bombs then so be it. Kids hear alot worse with their friends and sometimes family. People need to take their diapers off their kids and let them grow up. IF you don't like it then take your kid to the band room, maybe the band director doesn't curse.........

agreed, and about Tiger, he cursed all the time on the course anybody that really believed he was a perfect angel had to be blind and deaf, the six billion dollar man did what he wanted while maintaining a low profile and he just slipped up took a couple vicaden and xanex pass out ran into his fire hydrant

washedup

I didn't say that football isn't winning on friday night. I said its a plus to win. Everybody wants to win noone wants to lose.

sspanthers_58

I played for Coach Ashcraft in Siloam Springs in 2008 and I dont think I heard one cuss word come out of his mouth in 3 years and Im positive he did not talk down to his players using cuss words. I give props to Coach Ashcraft and all the coaches at Siloam Springs for being good coaches... the right way!

FanofFriday

Played in SEC and can tell you that coaches language was not a big deal.  They owned you so if you didn't like the way they were talking to you, just pack your bags and move back home to Mama anytime you wanted.  Coaches language was one of the nicer things that I was educated on.  I understand the age difference between HS and college kids, but any HS athlete with dreams of playing ball at the next level can't let curse words or a coach "getting in his face" bother him or he won't last long.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: washedup on December 09, 2009, 05:41:41 pm
I didn't say that football isn't winning on friday night. I said its a plus to win. Everybody wants to win noone wants to lose.
Your exact quote, "As hard as it might be to believe football isn't about winning on Friday night that just a plus".

Look at Reply #60 where I quoted you. If the game was not about winning then why play. As I said before, you make it sound like T-Ball. Heck, let's quit keeping score and give every school a state championship trophy. I don't know if you have kids or not, but trust me, they hear worse from their friends than they do their coaches. Take the diapers off and let the kids grow up. Profanity isn't the end of the world.

C-Mac 73

All I can say is this thread is absolutely pointless. Everyone has their own opinion. Cuss, don't cuss. Nobody really cares.

colts52

washedup

I know what goes on with kids crap I'm not far removed from high school. I know exactly what kids say. That's exactly my point most kids use that kind of language because they don't have a vocabluary or are from ruff backgrounds ect. As adults don't you think that adults should separate themselves from childish things in that aspect? How much respect can a kid give an adult if they are on the same maturity level? None

Billyo62

Quote from: washedup on December 11, 2009, 03:38:04 pm
I know what goes on with kids crap I'm not far removed from high school. I know exactly what kids say. That's exactly my point most kids use that kind of language because they don't have a vocabluary or are from ruff backgrounds ect. As adults don't you think that adults should separate themselves from childish things in that aspect? How much respect can a kid give an adult if they are on the same maturity level? None

So you are saying only stupid kids from "RUFF" places talk like that?

washedup

I guess I should've listed some more demintions of what I was talking about for those who don't understand what I was saying

True Fan

Sadly, for many, it wouldn't matter. Anything goes.

C-Mac 73

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas