• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyler Dorton from Lincoln moving to Westville?

Started by nuttinbuthogs, May 22, 2017, 10:33:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

Word is Coach Dorton is going to Westville, is this accurate?

whippersnapper

nuttinbuthogs

I had heard he had been applying for jobs in the area the last two years. So is Lincoln looking now?

legendarywolf

Rumor coming from school officials is that Superintendent and School Board have decided not to replace the spot on Coach Harrison's staff. Sad for our kids. When Harrison got there they had him and 5 assistants next year it will be him and only 3 assistants for senior high and junior high.

Tigerdad2

I agree this is sad, but it can be done . Coach Abshier and Prairie Grove have won nearly 200 games with 4 total coaches . If a town 5 miles down the road can do it Lincoln can also

theoleballcoach

What do the numbers in Lincoln look like. Maybe the administration does not  think they have the numbers to justify 6 coaches. Lots of QUALITY programs don't have that many.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: legendarywolf on May 26, 2017, 11:06:30 pm
Rumor coming from school officials is that Superintendent and School Board have decided not to replace the spot on Coach Harrison's staff. Sad for our kids. When Harrison got there they had him and 5 assistants next year it will be him and only 3 assistants for senior high and junior high.
Sad on the Superintendent and School Board to decide not to replace the the coaching spot

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on May 27, 2017, 06:47:24 am
I agree this is sad, but it can be done . Coach Abshier and Prairie Grove have won nearly 200 games with 4 total coaches . If a town 5 miles down the road can do it Lincoln can also

Tigerdad are you of all people seriously comparing Lincoln to Prairie Grove.  I'm concerned because the program has already dropped off a game in the win column from Harrison's first year and now they take away the OC.

bilboswaggins

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 29, 2017, 07:08:31 pm
Tigerdad are you of all people seriously comparing Lincoln to Prairie Grove.  I'm concerned because the program has already dropped off a game in the win column from Harrison's first year and now they take away the OC.

Hey I agree with Tigerdad. Lincoln HAD a great coach who beat some very good teams.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: bilboswaggins on May 29, 2017, 07:30:03 pm
Hey I agree with Tigerdad. Lincoln HAD a great coach who beat some very good teams.
Lincoln under Harris  beating a Billy Dawson coached Nashville team was one of those wins. If you're from the area you can see with time, Lincoln can be a winner

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: bilboswaggins on May 29, 2017, 07:30:03 pm

I don't think he is coming back.

theoleballcoach

I didn't start keeping up with Lincoln until Davenport came on board, but if you look at the players and just sheer numbers Lincoln has had the three years since Harris left,  I think it is a bad situation for a lot of coaches. It seems to me the people of Lincoln are comparing every team to a once in a decade or two group. They struggled before and they have struggled since Harris left. Harris didn't have a great start at Lincoln either. A great group of players can make a good coach look like Nick Saban. I doubt Lincoln having 8 coaches would make a huge difference. Sometimes the truth hurts.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: legendarywolf on May 26, 2017, 11:06:30 pm

Besides Dorton, who else is no longer on Harrison's staff? 

RZback

Quote from: theoleballcoach on May 29, 2017, 08:23:44 pm
I didn't start keeping up with Lincoln until Davenport came on board, but if you look at the players and just sheer numbers Lincoln has had the three years since Harris left,  I think it is a bad situation for a lot of coaches. It seems to me the people of Lincoln are comparing every team to a once in a decade or two group. They struggled before and they have struggled since Harris left. Harris didn't have a great start at Lincoln either. A great group of players can make a good coach look like Nick Saban. I doubt Lincoln having 8 coaches would make a huge difference. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Lincoln has been a bottom team most of its' history. You are correct, look at the FF school page, Lincoln struggled the first few years with Harris. A strong group came along starting as 7th graders and developed into the best group in school history. Now they are struggling again.  Its not just football though.  Nuttinbutthogs, you seem to have some Lincoln contacts?  What do they tell you in private?

nuttinbuthogs

June 01, 2017, 08:09:34 pm #14 Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:03:34 pm by nuttinbuthogs
Its like the newspapers, anonymous sources.  Friends, relatives, friends of relatives, friends of friends.  They go back and forth from trying to be supportive to being very disappointed. Most often heard complaints, lack of leadership, loss of some good coaches.  A few more personal attacks that i will not repeat.  Now with the Dorton leaving and maybe not replacing it seems it is going further downhill.

RZback

Quote from: theoleballcoach on May 29, 2017, 08:23:44 pm

Sounds like you are saying its a talent issue?  I think they are high on the current junior high group.  When you haven't had many winning seasons in the history of the school, and you have gone through a lot of coaches, well?  I was told that they are working on getting a field house completed.

theoleballcoach

I don't think anyone is arguing that it is a talent issue. From my understanding, this Junior class was the next group when they were in jr High, but they haven't blown the doors off either. Having worked in an administrative role for a while, though not in public schools, i an see that it would be hard to continue to pay 6 coaches for a program that has dwindeling numbers and a difficult row to how in general. It is a  vicious cycle though. You can't keep putting money in a sinking ship, but the student-athletes at Lincoln will not continue to put the work in, if they don't see the school doing the same thing. It is a tough spot.

game on

I didn't think the current senior high groups had won that many games? Lincoln has always talked a lot of 'the next great group" but haven't produced but a couple of winning seasons with those.  If you talk the people in NWA the reputation is generally not positive when it comes to athletics, especially football.

nuttinbuthogs

The group that will be 9th grade next year had a good 7th grade year, last year won 5 and 2 in conference. Otherwise the last really good group was the 2013 and the two years prior. Mostly due to the strenght of the class of 2013 being the foundation of those winning years. Yes, there was some work going on at the fieldhouse building last week. Not sure exactly what it was.

theoleballcoach

I remember the Junior class did really well as 7th graders as well and haven't been as successful since. Seems to me that is something that the admin should address too. Why do they not have the same success as the kids get older? What is Lincoln's offseason program like. Looks like they don't do a good job of improving the talent they have.

nuttinbuthogs

Im not sure about the junior class in 7th grade but they have struggled since that 2013 group in just about every sport except a few good groups here and there.  The last three senior high groups have struggled in all sports.  I think softball has been the best overall. Now with the rumors that we will see fever coaches and the loss of the OC and I hear the DC is trying to move, its going to be rough.  I still haven't been able to find out who the 3 reported football assistants will be for 2017.  Bounds, Lewis, Farga, and the volunteer Philpot? 

game on

I heard Lincoln was experiencing some loss of overall enrollment, that may mean not as many staff members and coaches are often the first not to be replaced.  Also it seems a lot of coaches come and go from there.

beach bum

June 06, 2017, 10:28:14 pm #22 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:30:09 pm by beach bum
Lincoln will always be a tough job for anyone that ever coaches there. Lincoln along with the other Highway 59 schools like itself such as Siloam Springs, Cedarville, Van Buren, Gentry, and Decatur will always be tough to win at in their respective classifications. Gravette is the only school along that corridor to ever have football success prolonged. They are the exception and are such a quiet, yet steady program. Anyone at all familiar with the NWA/River Valley area knows that the demographic of those towns socioeconomically as well as the overall morale is just different than the rest of the towns in that part of the state. It is hard to win when a community is not behind its own schools when it comes academically or athletically. I don't mean this in a way putting down those places. Just putting in my two cents..... On a side note Dorton could have some success at Westville. They were once a very bad program in Oklahoma, but are steadily getting better over the last 5 years and in a conference that is not exactly filled with juggernauts.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on June 06, 2017, 10:28:14 pm
Lincoln will always be a tough job for anyone that ever coaches there. Lincoln along with the other Highway 59 schools like itself such as Siloam Springs, Cedarville, Van Buren, Gentry, and Decatur will always be tough to win at in their respective classifications. Gravette is the only school along that corridor to ever have football success prolonged. They are the exception and are such a quiet, yet steady program. Anyone at all familiar with the NWA/River Valley area knows that the demographic of those towns socioeconomically as well as the overall morale is just different than the rest of the towns in that part of the state. It is hard to win when a community is not behind its own schools when it comes academically or athletically. I don't mean this in a way putting down those places. Just putting in my two cents..... On a side note Dorton could have some success at Westville. They were once a very bad program in Oklahoma, but are steadily getting better over the last 5 years and in a conference that is not exactly filled with juggernauts.

Looks like gravette is the only one of those towns there that has started to see some effects of the population explosion of NWA....

RZback

Quote from: beach bum on June 06, 2017, 10:28:14 pm

Its hard to win when a community is not behind its own schools!    How can you mean that anyway but as a put down,,,Just puttin in your two cents,,,,Your two cents sounds like an assessment of the folks and it ain't pretty.  "Just my two cents"

nuttinbuthogs

So back to the original topic.  Coach Dorton is gone to Westville.  As I hear from folks around town he has been applying for the last two years.  The position is not going to be replaced and I understand we will only have 4 football coaches and not 6.  Someone else is leaving or is not coaching?  Why is Lincoln losing coaches? 

RZback

You kinda moved from original topic of Dorton leaving to Lincoln struggling. 

nuttinbuthogs

The two are connected for sure.  Lincoln is definitely struggling.  Loosing coaches that are not going to be replaced are not going to help the program.  Word around is the athletic program is suffering and it shows in several programs not just football.

RZback

Lincoln does seem to have its share of controversy. 

polksalet

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on May 29, 2017, 07:37:05 pm
Lincoln under Harris  beating a Billy Dawson coached Nashville team was one of those wins. If you're from the area you can see with time, Lincoln can be a winner

Still a better loss than pea ridge last year.

RZback

Quote from: polksalet on June 18, 2017, 04:01:05 am
Still a better loss than pea ridge last year.

Not as bad as that same 2013 Lincoln team beat PR by in 2013.

theoleballcoach

I read a lot of people saying Lincoln can be good in time. They were good for a year and then they fell off again. I see it as Lincoln can't be good for an extended period of time. It is the AD's job to figure out why and fix it. Is it coaching? Is it kids? What is it keeping Lincoln back, and then take steps to fix it. If the AD or other administrators can't or won't do that, then the residents of Lincoln need to let them know that isn't acceptable. That is why we have school board elections. They work for the people of Lincoln, not the other way around.

RZback

Actually Lincoln was good for a 3 year stretch, 2011 - 2013.  They were also good back about 25 years ago I think for one season.  There is nothing in their history that indicates they could be good in time.  They have an occasional good year.  Take a look at the record as posted on FF.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: theoleballcoach on June 18, 2017, 07:05:39 pm
I read a lot of people saying Lincoln can be good in time. They were good for a year and then they fell off again. I see it as Lincoln can't be good for an extended period of time. It is the AD's job to figure out why and fix it. Is it coaching? Is it kids? What is it keeping Lincoln back, and then take steps to fix it. If the AD or other administrators can't or won't do that, then the residents of Lincoln need to let them know that isn't acceptable. That is why we have school board elections. They work for the people of Lincoln, not the other way around.

If you are familiar with Lincoln and talk around town you know where most folks think the root of the current problem is.

bilboswaggins

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on June 19, 2017, 01:47:30 am
If you are familiar with Lincoln and talk around town you know where most folks think the root of the current problem is.

So what is the main problem with the program?

nuttinbuthogs

Heres a summary of the most common complaints. Talent is not consistently available.  Leadership is a problem at all levels. Coaches need to be allowed to coach how they think is best for the program. Should have worked harder to keep some of the past coaches. lack of confidence in the decision makers.

nuttinbuthogs

You say the board and others work for the people of Lincoln, it doesn't seem so.

theoleballcoach

Might be part of the problem. If the town wants more imphasis on athletics than what is currently put on it, the board should follow suit or worry about their position next board elections. It would take a while to get all the pieces on place, but it has to start somewhere. If the majority of Lincoln is happy with what the board and administration are doing currently, the posters on this board are in the minority and will have to keep dealing with it.

RZback

I bet the board has been around a long time and not worrying about getting beat in any election.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: RZback on June 20, 2017, 10:43:13 am
I bet the board has been around a long time and not worrying about getting beat in any election.

Mostly true, several have been on board for a while.  One is new in the last couple of years and another about 5 years.   Some hard lines on athletics I think and basketball seems to get the most attention. The AD is an ex basketball coach.

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on June 20, 2017, 11:36:06 am
Mostly true, several have been on board for a while.  One is new in the last couple of years and another about 5 years.   Some hard lines on athletics I think and basketball seems to get the most attention. The AD is an ex basketball coach.

The basketball program has no serious history either though....

theoleballcoach

Well it doesn't sound just real bright for Lincoln then does it.

whippersnapper

Well I hate to kill all the negativity but BIG NEWS coming soon for the wolves. I will announce when I can. Also about Dorton not being replaced, he was a history teacher therefore that spot has to be replaced. Whether or not that is a football coach to fill it has yet to be decided. So pump the brakes a bit not everything is as bad as it seems in Lincoln.

nuttinbuthogs

Please, big news that is so secret you cannot divulge?  Could it be the field house will finally get fixed?

whippersnapper

No it isnt the field house as far as the news goes. The fieldhouse is getting finished, yes but if you drive by the school you can put 2&2 together on that one.

nuttinbuthogs

I'm sure hope whatever it is will change the declining trend of the athletic department. 

RedKnight

Why would Collins, the DC, leave? He is the softball coach and they are having some good success aren't they? Rumors were he applied at Fayetteville and some people said he would get the PG job but others say he didn't apply for it.

I hear another coach has left the football staff. Any idea who it would be? That would leave them with Harrison and two assistants. If only Dorton and one other have left that means one of the other assistants is still at the school but not coaching football?

What other than finishing the fieldhouse would be big enough to cause a stir in Lincoln athletically? They have great basketball facilities. Baseball and softball are decent as well.

doober3

Probably not the place for this but I'm gong to vent a bit:

When the millage was passed 6 or 7 years ago to build the new HS there were a lot of promises made.  Not only was there to be a new "state of the art" school, there was to be new Baseball and Softball fields connected to the HS.  The football field was going to have a track so that Lincoln could host track meets.  There was to be a Community "Safe Room" built on the campus also.  These are just the things I can remember.
So far there is a school that most kids say looks like a prison and has foundation issues.  A very nice Basketball Arena.  A track that has been so messed up that it is unusable.  No new Baseball or Softball facilities.  No Safe Room, and the Field House has not been used because of the good ole' boy system and somebody's brother-in-law was contracted to do it on the cheap.   

Somebody got a lot of money (my money) and what the community got was about 20% of what was promised.

I have been a "Banner Sponsor" for the last 10 years but I will not be renewing this year.  I have no idea where the money goes and there certainly isn't a very easy way to find out.  Peace out Lincoln!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: doober3 on June 28, 2017, 10:28:46 am
Probably not the place for this but I'm gong to vent a bit:

When the millage was passed 6 or 7 years ago to build the new HS there were a lot of promises made.  Not only was there to be a new "state of the art" school, there was to be new Baseball and Softball fields connected to the HS.  The football field was going to have a track so that Lincoln could host track meets.  There was to be a Community "Safe Room" built on the campus also.  These are just the things I can remember.
So far there is a school that most kids say looks like a prison and has foundation issues.  A very nice Basketball Arena.  A track that has been so messed up that it is unusable.  No new Baseball or Softball facilities.  No Safe Room, and the Field House has not been used because of the good ole' boy system and somebody's brother-in-law was contracted to do it on the cheap.   

Somebody got a lot of money (my money) and what the community got was about 20% of what was promised.

I have been a "Banner Sponsor" for the last 10 years but I will not be renewing this year.  I have no idea where the money goes and there certainly isn't a very easy way to find out.  Peace out Lincoln!

Good info. I wonder who IS getting all of that money?

theoleballcoach

I think they are on their 3rd or 4th gym floor already. First thing I learned about supervising: quickest way to get fired is to mess up the money. I still don't understand why the people of Lincoln haven't showed up at a board meeting demanding to see a budget, athletic or otherwise. Sounds like a lot of money was given and no one knows where it is right now. Surely the administration can tell people.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas