• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8 Man Football

Started by playmaker04, May 30, 2018, 01:38:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaLion

Quote from: MT Legend on July 12, 2018, 08:44:08 am
in a perfect world this would be correct.were far from a perfect world though.
I believe that the vast majority of coaches are going to do what's best for the players.

MomaLion

Quote from: AirWarren on July 12, 2018, 01:12:08 pm
Maybe in little folk football like 2a and now 8 man ball....but Not at programs like Warren.

You have neuro symptoms, your butt is on the bench. I've seen it plenty of times. "Star athlete" or not.
Same in Clarendon.  I've seen plenty of kids benched for up to 3 weeks after a concussion...typically 2.

MomaLion

Quote from: MT Legend on July 13, 2018, 06:24:43 pm
i did my own research while waiting for your rebuttal. What I found is most people believe the baseline test is a waste of money and time.
Wrong again.  If done correctly the kid can't hide symptoms when a baseline is done.  Yes there are those few crappy coaches that don't care about the kids but they are few and far between.

MT Legend

Quote from: MomaLion on July 17, 2018, 05:01:00 am
Wrong again.  If done correctly the kid can't hide symptoms when a baseline is done.  Yes there are those few crappy coaches that don't care about the kids but they are few and far between.
i don't Understand why you keep saying I'm wrong lol. Nether of us is right or wrong because it's a matter of opinion. You don't know that you're side of the conversation is right. I don't know if my side is. In order for something to be right or wrong one side has to know that it is 100% correct to call the other side wrong,That's just to impossible for us to know.All we have is personal experience and second hand information to go on.

Another thing is in a case of right or wrong it's usually called a debate. One side is trying to convince the on lookers that other side is wrong. Who are we convincing?

bleudog

July 17, 2018, 09:10:51 am #204 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:41:15 am by bleudog
Quote from: MT Legend on July 16, 2018, 09:35:23 pm
facts is your 0-2 vs Rivercrest. Move on and be glad your back in the 2A.where you can at least compete with the top teams.carry on

You may be on to something there dude/bro.

When the best a 2A-sized school can do in the 3A is go 13-1 and end up with the 3A state runner-up trophy, maybe it's time for a change.

How does a school sign up for this 8-man league?

::)

MT Legend

Quote from: bleudog on July 17, 2018, 09:10:51 am
You may be on to something there dude/bro.

When the best a 2A-sized school can do in the 3A is go 13-1 and end up with the 3A state runner-up trophy, maybe it's time for a change.

How does a school sign up for this 8-man league?

::)
whatever helps you sleep at night. 11 on 11 is all that can play. You had a 2000 yard rusher and a 1500 yard rusher lol. You had the Sr led team. Rivercrest is young. I would say you had the advantage going in.

bleudog

July 17, 2018, 12:35:36 pm #206 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:00:33 pm by bleudog
In an attempt to get this thread back on track for you good people, what is the most prevalent offensive philosophy in eight-man football?  Is this basically a 7 on 7 air it out arena-like league or is there a non-QB running game involved?

big E

Quote from: bleudog on July 17, 2018, 12:35:36 pm
In an attempt to get this thread back on track for you good people, what is the most prevalent offensive philosophy in eight-man football?  Is this basically a 7 on 7 air it out arena-like league or is there a non-QB running game involved?
I definitely don't see any wishbone happening in 8 man.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: bleudog on July 17, 2018, 12:35:36 pm

I think you will see alot of WR Jet Sweep type stuff.

bleudog

Quote from: big E on July 18, 2018, 05:24:27 am
I definitely don't see any wishbone happening in 8 man.

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 18, 2018, 09:05:18 am
I think you will see alot of WR Jet Sweep type stuff.

Thanks.

Looks like basketball on turf.

"Eight-man football consists of fast-paced games with higher scoring than the traditional game. Eight-man scores vary depending on the offensive and defensive strategies, but scores typically fall in the 40-60 point range, with "high scoring" games reaching the 70s and "low scoring" games falling below 30."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: bleudog on July 18, 2018, 09:07:56 am
Thanks.

Looks like basketball on turf.

"Eight-man football consists of fast-paced games with higher scoring than the traditional game. Eight-man scores vary depending on the offensive and defensive strategies, but scores typically fall in the 40-60 point range, with "high scoring" games reaching the 70s and "low scoring" games falling below 30."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football

Speed will be more important than size in 8 man.

beach bum

Yes, the speedy WR's are going to be a plus vertically in the passing game and on the jet sweeps. On the defensive end you better have kids willing to be fundamentally sound tackling in open space. You go for the big hit and miss the other team will be running into the end zone a lot with all that open space. It would only be a dream in 1A/2A schools, but if you have an athletic kid who can throw and be that duel threat the coaches job becomes much easier obviously. Those type of kids at the QB position don't exactly grow on trees however. I am definitely going to go catch one of these games to see these new Arkansas 8 man teams in person.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: beach bum on July 18, 2018, 11:36:37 am
Yes, the speedy WR's are going to be a plus vertically in the passing game and on the jet sweeps. On the defensive end you better have kids willing to be fundamentally sound tackling in open space. You go for the big hit and miss the other team will be running into the end zone a lot with all that open space. It would only be a dream in 1A/2A schools, but if you have an athletic kid who can throw and be that duel threat the coaches job becomes much easier obviously. Those type of kids at the QB position don't exactly grow on trees however. I am definitely going to go catch one of these games to see these new Arkansas 8 man teams in person.

I agree, those kids don't grow on trees. However, there is always that one kid at every school that is faster and better than everyone else. Stick him and train him at QB early,and you should stay competitive.

MomaLion

Quote from: MT Legend on July 17, 2018, 05:46:17 am
i don't Understand why you keep saying I'm wrong lol. Nether of us is right or wrong because it's a matter of opinion. You don't know that you're side of the conversation is right. I don't know if my side is. In order for something to be right or wrong one side has to know that it is 100% correct to call the other side wrong,That's just to impossible for us to know.All we have is personal experience and second hand information to go on.

Another thing is in a case of right or wrong it's usually called a debate. One side is trying to convince the on lookers that other side is wrong. Who are we convincing?
You really need to learn more about medical science.  I say you're wrong because it's been proven.  If you choose to believe otherwise, that's not debating, that's being foolish.

MT Legend

July 19, 2018, 08:48:04 am #214 Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:18:35 am by MT Legend
Quote from: MomaLion on July 19, 2018, 01:54:53 am
You really need to learn more about medical science.  I say you're wrong because it's been proven.  If you choose to believe otherwise, that's not debating, that's being foolish.
i have looked at it. It tells me while yes it works in some cases and in others it doesn't. So I made the decision to not go all in with it.A trend I noticed on here almost as soon as I begin is this. If you don't agree with someone they throw insults at you. I'm not going to call you a fool for what you believe. I don't know you from Adam. Insults only prove one thing and that's lack of integrity. I'm not saying you lack in integrity at all. The evidence does  however point me in that direction.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MomaLion on July 19, 2018, 01:54:53 am

What does this have to do about 8-man football? We need to try to stick to the subject.

MomaLion

Quote from: MT Legend on July 19, 2018, 08:48:04 am
i have looked at it. It tells me while yes it works in some cases and in others it doesn't. So I made the decision to not go all in with it.A trend I noticed on here almost as soon as I begin is this. If you don't agree with someone they throw insults at you. I'm not going to call you a fool for what you believe. I don't know you from Adam. Insults only prove one thing and that's lack of integrity. I'm not saying you lack in integrity at all. The evidence does  however point me in that direction.
Call it what you want.  You obviously don't believe science so i'm finished with this discussion. 

big E

Every time I read this thread someone is still arguing about concussions. I think everyone agrees they are real and dangerous. Back to 8 man football , word on the street is Episcopal had about 25 kids but they were all freshman and sophomore so they didn't want to get beat up and went the 8 man route. If you have 25 kids you can play 11 man. Teams like augusta and Hermatage will probably only have 13 to 16. Big advantage for ECS.

MT Legend

Quote from: MomaLion on July 20, 2018, 12:28:39 am
Call it what you want.  You obviously don't believe science so i'm finished with this discussion.
Thank you,this back and forth should have ended last week. In the future don't go into a conversation looking to get someone to see things your way.Not everyone is going to agree on everything. Doesn't make you right or wrong it just means where humans.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MomaLion on July 20, 2018, 12:28:39 am

MomaLion you may want to go back to tending to your cubs.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: big E on July 20, 2018, 05:35:36 am
Every time I read this thread someone is still arguing about concussions. I think everyone agrees they are real and dangerous. Back to 8 man football , word on the street is Episcopal had about 25 kids but they were all freshman and sophomore so they didn't want to get beat up and went the 8 man route. If you have 25 kids you can play 11 man. Teams like augusta and Hermatage will probably only have 13 to 16. Big advantage for ECS.

Yes!  This is a great point.  I've mentioned before, once 8-man becomes official sport AAA needs some roster cap or something set.  20-25 should be playing 11 man, 25+ for sure.  8-man will be good if and only if it provides a chance for those really wanting to keep playing and/or small schools.

Cheek

EPC wants to stack the deck and dominate 8 man football.  A state title is all they care about.   Please be nice to Momalion because if Clarendon continues to lose kids,  they will be playing 8-man football in the near future.  I have watched 8-man football in Northern Missouri, and it is more of a running game than you think.  Just because you have a small school does not mean you have speedy kids and a solid QB.

HorseFeathers

Cheek I was thinking the same....friend of mine covered 8 man football some in Oklahoma and always talked about how suprising it was that the majority ran a power run offense.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 21, 2018, 11:09:50 am
Cheek I was thinking the same....friend of mine covered 8 man football some in Oklahoma and always talked about how suprising it was that the majority ran a power run offense.
Kind of like Wynne back in the Campbell days without those pesky wide outs! Who says the three you cut have to be linemen?

MomaLion

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 20, 2018, 10:07:12 am
MomaLion you may want to go back to tending to your cubs.
I always tend to my LIONS and CUBS.

MomaLion

Quote from: Cheek on July 21, 2018, 10:16:15 am
EPC wants to stack the deck and dominate 8 man football.  A state title is all they care about.   Please be nice to Momalion because if Clarendon continues to lose kids,  they will be playing 8-man football in the near future.  I have watched 8-man football in Northern Missouri, and it is more of a running game than you think.  Just because you have a small school does not mean you have speedy kids and a solid QB.
It's only a matter of time before Brinkley annexes with us so numbers won't be that big of a worry. It seems that our coach is very open to 8 man so who knows what will happen.  Since we generally have plenty of speed, we may do well.

tmycjy

what 8 man football need to do is the AAA need to make school declare 8 man football so my example is like this say a school field a team that only has 19 kids on it they could declare 8 man football if they had like 22 kids on there team where its enough to field offense and defense AAA make them play 11 man football   no matter what but its done on each classfaction cycle

friscokid

You can't mandate where a school plays based on roster size. Let's say a bottom feeder in 11-man decides to go 8-man, has success and wins state, and their numbers go back up to 25 or so because kids love to play on a winning team. Does that mean they have to go back to being a bottom feeder again now? Let the coaches and administrators decide.

friscokid

Quote from: tmycjy on November 04, 2018, 12:23:48 pm
what 8 man football need to do is the AAA need to make school declare 8 man football so my example is like this say a school field a team that only has 19 kids on it they could declare 8 man football if they had like 22 kids on there team where its enough to field offense and defense AAA make them play 11 man football   no matter what but its done on each classfaction cycle
I agree, declaration must be made before reclassification and it needs to stick for 2 years. We saw this year how a number of 11-man teams got left in the lurch.

tmycjy

Quote from: friscokid on November 05, 2018, 09:04:49 am
You can’t mandate where a school plays based on roster size. Let’s say a bottom feeder in 11-man decides to go 8-man, has success and wins state, and their numbers go back up to 25 or so because kids love to play on a winning team. Does that mean they have to go back to being a bottom feeder again now? Let the coaches and administrators decide.

I agree with u but this prevents school from fielding 40 or 50 man roster just to be donament

HorseFeathers

Little bit of difference from 25 to 40

Good_medic

Quote from: big E on July 11, 2018, 05:30:12 am
It's standard protocol now for the Coaches to diagnose concussions.  I would say 99%of the time the coach leans to the side of caution . But the thing about cte is these kids are being turned into missles,  bigger , faster , stronger which equals more violent and potentially harmful collisions.  If you run a Sherman tank into a Volkswagen bug bad things will happen. It's know different with kids. If you turn these kids into essentially is battering ram then there are going to be injuries and unfortunately cte is one of those injuries. As for the comment made about people thinking that kids that specialize in other sports than football are soft , well maybe they just don't want to be that Volkswagen bug in front of that Tank. Some would say that is genius not softness.

I agree with everything being said here Big E but one word diagnose. coaches go through training to recognise symptoms of concussions, and that is a step forward. however how many coaches actually take the time to do a balance assessment and a memory test, and visual oculomotor test on kids before returning to play. none that i have ever seen. and if you don't have a medical license it is illegal to diagnose someone with anything. that's practicing medicine with out a license.

HeberFan

Best thing is rub dirt on the injured area and say, "Get back in there, you big sissy!"

OB11

Are all of the schools participating in 8 man at the Sr. high level, also playing 8 man in Jr. high? Or are the Jr. high teams still playing 11 man?

jbtiger73

Quote from: OB11 on November 11, 2019, 09:25:46 am
Are all of the schools participating in 8 man at the Sr. high level, also playing 8 man in Jr. high? Or are the Jr. high teams still playing 11 man?
Yes. If the Sr. High is doing 8-Man, the jr. High will follow suit. I was confused about that earlier this summer as well when Brinkley made the decision to play 8-Man. All teams must decide during the spring. What happened with us, was that we only had 12 by the time the decision was supposed to be made in the spring. By the end of the summer, and a couple of move ins, we end up with 22. So, you know people around were very upset at not playing 11 man. Who knows what the spring holds for us and the decision to play 11 man or 8-Man. Hopefully the championship and the undefeated season will entice some extra kids to come out during the spring. Or hopefully the AAA will sanction 8-Man. But not holding my breath on that decision though. They're on par with the NCAA when it comes to decision making.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

A team with 22 players should win 8 man. That's kinda like j.c. and their 45+ winning 2A.🤭😊

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Pick_DA_EAGLES on November 11, 2019, 05:57:33 pm
A team with 22 players should win 8 man. That's kinda like j.c. and their 45+ winning 2A.🤭😊

There's schools in Texas that field upper 20's and lower 30's for 8 man.....but then again one of the Top 5 8 man teams in Oklahoma dresses 10

RATTLER43

Just play whoever is lined up on the other side no matter what the numbers ...   If you have the right Jimmies and Joes and good coaching, you can accomplish a lot no matter how many or few are on your team.  Larger numbers help but do not dictate success.

jbtiger73

That's easy for all of you to say. When you only have 12 players in the spring, and a decision needs to be made by then, then it's not fair to the kids to play teams such as Hazen, DA and others. We also had Rison on the schedule as well. So unless you have about 6 or 7 all conference type players and hope and pray for no injuries or. Even cramps, which will happen, then you have 0 room to judge on the decision we made. I knew someone was going to have some snide comments about us winning 8-Man.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: jbtiger73 on November 12, 2019, 03:42:08 pm
That's easy for all of you to say. When you only have 12 players in the spring, and a decision needs to be made by then, then it's not fair to the kids to play teams such as Hazen, DA and others. We also had Rison on the schedule as well. So unless you have about 6 or 7 all conference type players and hope and pray for no injuries or. Even cramps, which will happen, then you have 0 room to judge on the decision we made. I knew someone was going to have some snide comments about us winning 8-Man.

I'm actually pro-8 man, and don't understand the stigma

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 12, 2019, 04:39:28 pm
I'm actually pro-8 man, and don't understand the stigma

im for 8 man too, but if your school has played 11 man for years, and actually has the numbers to play 11 man, it should only make sense that you would be favored in 8 man.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Pick_DA_EAGLES on November 12, 2019, 05:10:57 pm
im for 8 man too, but if your school has played 11 man for years, and actually has the numbers to play 11 man, it should only make sense that you would be favored in 8 man.

Every school That plays 8 man except for Trinity Christian, has played 11 man for years tho

jbtiger73

Quote from: Pick_DA_EAGLES on November 12, 2019, 05:10:57 pm
So, you would much rather play 11 man with 12 players, and risk injuries and possible forfeit, than give the kids a chance, and play 8 man, and have more bodies to play off of the bench? I just don't believe that pick. and like I keep stressing; we had only 12 when the decision was to be made in the spring. we couldn't change back.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: jbtiger73 on November 12, 2019, 07:07:21 pm
So, you would much rather play 11 man with 12 players, and risk injuries and possible forfeit, than give the kids a chance, and play 8 man, and have more bodies to play off of the bench? I just don't believe that pick. and like I keep stressing; we had only 12 when the decision was to be made in the spring. we couldn't change back.

Looks like yall have an issue with summer commitment. That would probably be a lot of the issue every year

bleudog

Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 12, 2019, 10:03:34 am
There's schools in Texas that field upper 20's and lower 30's for 8 man.....but then again one of the Top 5 8 man teams in Oklahoma dresses 10

Does the main Texas association sanction 8-man and place a maximum enrollment limit on the schools participating?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on November 12, 2019, 08:33:29 pm
Does the main Texas association sanction 8-man and place a maximum enrollment limit on the schools participating?
it's actually 6 man that I was thinking of....Balmorhea Texas has 27 9-12 grade kids on their roster....Rankin Texas has 20 10-12 graders...Its sanctioned by the UIL

friscokid

Schools with a 9-12 enrollment below 105 have the option to play 6-man football in Texas. A few schools above that line do continue to play 6-man, but they're ineligible for playoffs.

gameoflife

So I hear that may be some other schools either dropping football or going down to 8 man. Any truth?   I hear Rose Bud is debating dropping football?

ozarkmtnsman

Marshall Bobcats to start 8-man this fall.

friscokid

Add Subiaco to the list. Before too long we'll need a big school 8-man division like Oklahoma has.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas