• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren

Started by GotInfo?, February 02, 2015, 03:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

March 20, 2015, 11:20:13 am #250 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:22:56 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on March 19, 2015, 07:16:31 pm

....  and throw in Chris Hill , sounds like he's trying to get out of Wynne

Don't see this happening when he pretty much dissed VB and left them once before for Ashdown. IMHO I doubt Hill would want to come back there and my guess is VB would not want him back for that reason even though I think he is a good coach.

I did see where the VB returning QB, Barlow, did well at a Rivals camp recently...finished Top 4 FWIW.

Grizzlyfan

The only remaining hope I see for Cone is that VB expects to have a new superintendent in a couple of weeks.  Maybe they want the new super to have input on the coach if that coach will also be the activities director.  Who knows.

Tigerdad2

Any names on who will be the new Sup?

Baitshop

Mike McSpadden..??

Tigerdad2

Alma AD assistant sup?

Baitshop

AT

Baitshop

Not speculation....heard from 2 different folks that are usually "in the know" about things in Alma  that said that he might have an interest...

We'll see...

One plus one

So what is going on with the HC job?
Is Cone taking it? Is he waiting for new Supe?
Or are they going to start looking for a new coach?
Not a lot being said, is VB being quit or just have no idea what they want to do?

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 17, 2015, 10:06:47 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 17, 2015, 08:20:45 am
Quote from: Tripod1 on March 17, 2015, 06:45:02 am
Latest word I've heard is the school board meets tonight and in all probability the HC job will officially open tomorrow.  Looking like the board and Cone could not come to terms with him having both positions.  Seeing how the Activities Director position was created to keep a HC from having 2 positions this seems like the right move.  I do know there have been many inquire about the HC job so I guess the job hunt officially begins.  Another blunder this board has made.  Late in the year to begin the process.  Maybe they will do the right thing tonight and make the current Super official as well. This HC hire needs to be an iron clad agreement on both sides that the new HC will agree to give it at least a 6-8 year commitment with the board pledging to back him that long as well.  I don't have much faith in that happening with the board and the fickle fans of VB though.  I never have understood how someone outside the education field thinks they can do a better job than educators themselves but I suppose that is another argument for another day.  So unless my source is totally off it looks like VB will officially be looking outside the district for their next HC.
That'll never happen.
I agree 100%.  I didn't say that would happen only that it needs to happen.  Somehow someone needs to understand that the revolving coaching door is going to continue to keep VB irrelevant.  This continues to be the VB way it is sad to say.
If they look outside the box , they will find this coach. A guy who will want to stay and build

One plus one

I'm afraid I know the answer to this.
Are they going to bring some people in during spring break or wait till after the break?
Is it just Cone making the hire, or will Loyd and say Tipton be involved ?

Tigerdad2

They have known since February that Coatney is leaving, so I doubt they are going to interview during spring break. If they were in a hurry they would have already hired a guy.. That makes me think Cone is still the guy

Tigerdad2

Quote from: One plus one on March 21, 2015, 10:45:37 pm
I'm afraid I know the answer to this.
Are they going to bring some people in during spring break or wait till after the break?
Is it just Cone making the hire, or will Loyd and say Tipton be involved ?
What's the answer ?

One plus one

Afraid after Spring Break to bring people in which will make it later.

Grizzlyfan

McSpadden from Alma is not one of the Super finalists.  And apparently Cone is official out as a coach candidate.

hornet89

Football Interviews start this week.

iliveformarch

Is Charleston's coach a candidate?

WPWells

You're desperate for Kendrick to leave Charleston because you know we'll be good as long as he's here and that just rips at you. No he's not a candidate

Beaver Fever

Yall will be good no matter who the coach is.  You have won a title with  the last 3coaches. 

Truthfully

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 31, 2015, 03:23:15 pm
You're desperate for Kendrick to leave Charleston because you know we'll be good as long as he's here and that just rips at you. No he's not a candidate
Other coaches are well suited for where they are and a little added money and going up in class does not settle well when you drop down to winning 4- 6 games a year..  Examples:  Rush Harding - Clarendon (1950s and 60s), Frank McClelland of Barton, Don Floyd - Stuttgart (started out at Charleston in the mid 1950s), Holly Grove's coach during the 50s thru 80s and many more..  Did well, set records, became well known as winners and stayed at 'home', never regretting it.. Something 'inside' tells some great coaches to stay where they are, where fans and players love them...  Kendrick is a good fit at Charleston.  Truthfully !! 

Tripod1

Quote from: Truthfully on March 31, 2015, 08:43:11 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 31, 2015, 03:23:15 pm
Other coaches are well suited for where they are and a little added money and going up in class does not settle well when you drop down to winning 4- 6 games a year..  Examples:  Rush Harding - Clarendon (1950s and 60s), Frank McClelland of Barton, Don Floyd - Stuttgart (started out at Charleston in the mid 1950s), Holly Grove's coach during the 50s thru 80s and many more..  Did well, set records, became well known as winners and stayed at 'home', never regretting it.. Something 'inside' tells some great coaches to stay where they are, where fans and players love them...  Kendrick is a good fit at Charleston.  Truthfully !!
Points well taken.  The Holly Grove Coach was Sonny Gordon.  That's how old I am!!  VB is going to be a tough sale for anyone other than an up an comer.  Kendrick is a VB guy so maybe he would feel the pull to come home. That's about the only reason I see for him to leave such a good situation.  Well, probably there would be 20,000-25,000 other reasons.  As I have stated earlier, this hire is so important for VB.  Whatever it takes and whoever it takes the revolving door must stop for success to be achieved in Pointer land. 

Truthfully

Tripod1
  THANKS for reminding me of the HG coach's name, Sonny Gordon. He and Harding had many, many Thanksgiving games and the whole area showed up for THE game of the "season". Such memories. Truthfully.

4real

Any word out of Van Buren yet?

hornet89

Interviews are over - new coach will come from Oklahoma I think

Okieback

I think I said on the first or second page that there was at least one possibly two guys that could do a great job and they should go after just southwest of Fort Smith.

4real

One guy that would do a great job is on the Southside of Ft Smith

jrbballguy

They have made a hire, waiting for board meeting for approval before announcing I believe.

jking7

April 06, 2015, 07:24:53 pm #277 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:27:48 pm by jking7
Quote from: jrbballguy on April 06, 2015, 07:16:08 pm
They have made a hire, waiting for board meeting for approval before announcing I believe.
Do you know when the next board meeting is?

Okieback

4real

The hire has been made.  Anybody know who got it?

Maclin on your girl

Coach from Poteau.

Grizzlyfan

jrbballguy

He is a Northside Alum... so keep talking Griz

Okieback

Over 200 career wins, has averaged going like 11-2 the last 12 years as a coach, 4 or 5 trips to the semis, with 3 different teams , levels ranging from class A through 5a. And I think 3 or 4 trips to finals with at least 2 different teams maybe 3.

Yes , 85 northside grad.
Great coach, I'm sorry to see him leave Poteau.  Van buren fans you have gotten someone special. Wouldn't be surprised to see you guys go 6-4 maybe 7-4 this fall.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jrbballguy on April 07, 2015, 09:24:06 pm
I know very well that he is a Northside alum.  And by all accounts a very good coach.  But he is not what Van Buren needs.

Maclin on your girl

He's exactly what VB needs.

Okieback

Yep
Tough , believes defense wins championships , and a family atmosphere

jking7

sprtsfan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 08, 2015, 08:24:44 am
I know very well that he is a Northside alum.  And by all accounts a very good coach.  But he is not what Van Buren needs.

So...what exactly does VB need??

V B Porker

Someone wanted to know if new coach likes to play golf and that VB would hire a coach that they beat last year. I wish him luck as this program has a long way to go.

Okieback

Werner is 2-1 against vb
And no, he doesn't like to play golf.

jking7

April 08, 2015, 02:57:19 pm #291 Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:31:13 pm by jking7
Quote from: Okieback on April 08, 2015, 02:52:59 pm
Werner is 2-1 against vb
And no, he doesn't like to play golf.
1. That's true he is 2-1 against VB so that attack on him is lame.
   2. It was Coatney that cared about his golf game.

V B Porker

Do you guys think that I am attacking the guy?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: sprtsfan on April 08, 2015, 02:42:09 pm

No coach is going to walk into the Van Buren situation and create a winner.  The morale, the mindset, and the available athletes are all at the bottom of 7A.  Probably even most of 6A.  Werner is no different than the previous 4.  When he sees this first hand and gets his head handed to him for a few years he'll get out for self-preservation.

Van Buren had their chance with Drew Cone.  A hometown guy who isn't necessarily trying to build a coaching resume.  He could commit to the program long term without regard to the short term results. I still say VB needs a ground up re-construction modeled after Greenwood.

jrbballguy

Would somebody get Drew's dad off of here please?  ::)

you never answered the question.  I fail to see how hiring someone that 1- is a proven winner. 2- has a reputation for rebuilding programs. and 3- knows Van Buren's record for the past SEVERAL years... and STILL wants the job

If your primary basis of hiring someone is because they are a hometown guy, you are automatically shortening your list and handcuffing yourself.  You obviously love Coach Cone, and I'm not at all saying he isn't a good coach.  But I don't know of very many 7A schools, if any, that will promote a coach from the jr high program straight to a head position for a major sport.  It just doesn't happen that way. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I actually had the opportunity to meet Coach Werner about 10 years ago when his son played travel baseball with a relative of mine.  I thought well of him after our one interaction.  I texted my dad today and asked if he was the guy that I had met and he confirmed.  He then called this evening to tell me how impressed he was at the type of man he was and his humbleness as a head football coach.  The guy can obviously coach football based on his resume, and I think jumping ship and "saving his resume" won't be a concern as he has already built his up enough where that wouldn't be something he would have to worry about.

I am floored by that argument, by the way.  The way I see it, there are two scenarios:
1. Guy not working out.
2. Guy doing a good job.

In case #1, don't you want him to leave?

In case #2, it was a good hire, and he has gotten you out of a mess or probably left you in a good situation for the next guy. 

I know it is more complicated than that, but I'd hate to have a lifetime coach that couldn't ever get you over the hump but was dug in for the long haul.

Baitshop

I think that it is a great hire...the guy's won a several places...according to the article, he's taken moribund programs and turned them around....he's flexible/smart enough to not be tied to one system....he wants to live/end up in the area....

The biggest question in my mind is can someone reel in the circus that is the Van Buren administration and school board? For a program that has been as bad for as long as Van Buren has been, at some point to you need to hire a guy that has this guys qualifications, experience, and record and give him whatever he needs to succeed and keep the small town politics out of it....

JOMHO

PrivateLesson

Quote from: sprtsfan on April 08, 2015, 02:42:09 pm

earlier you were convinced it was Coatney..

spacesorlaces

Quote from: Baitshop on April 08, 2015, 09:24:47 pm
I think that it is a great hire...the guy's won a several places...according to the article, he's taken moribund programs and turned them around....he's flexible/smart enough to not be tied to one system....he wants to live/end up in the area....

The biggest question in my mind is can someone reel in the circus that is the Van Buren administration and school board? For a program that has been as bad for as long as Van Buren has been, at some point to you need to hire a guy that has this guys qualifications, experience, and record and give him whatever he needs to succeed and keep the small town politics out of it....

JOMHO
+1 for yse of the word moribund

PrivateLesson

Quote from: spacesorlaces on April 08, 2015, 10:00:43 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on April 08, 2015, 09:24:47 pm

JOMHO
+1 for yse of the word moribund

He seems to be a crafty educated fellow....you think he's going to ask what's yse?   ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas