• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark. Tech BBall coach resigns

Started by olddog79, February 27, 2006, 03:22:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog79

ATU Athletic Director, Steve Mullins announced today that Rick Mc Cormick has resigned.

Coltrane

Good.  He never was a good fit at Tech. 

Let the speculation begin.  How about the return of a River Valley boy, current assistant to Mike Anderson at UAB.....Matt Zimmerman? 

SMC

I never liked him from the moment he came in, got rid of everyone Tech had, and put a team full of JUCOs out there. Add to that he couldn't win a game.

SouthpawSensation

Zimmerman would be a great fit there, and Tech would be smart to go after him.
However, I just don't think it will happen. Zimmerman knows something about what goes on behind the scenes at Tech, and he wouldn't put up with it. That Army training he has would come into effect.

chosen_one

I would love to see Zimmerman come back to the River Valley, I just cannot see him going from DI down to DII. He is where I believe he has always wanted to be, the "big time" Division I.

coach_r

What Tech needs to do is FIRE A.D./Football coach Mullins. For some stupid reason he helped in running off Marty Barnes. I think he had one losing season in ten years. The other two coaches they have hired have not come close to taking Tech back where they once were.

done

Quote from: coach_r on March 01, 2006, 09:27:39 am
What Tech needs to do is FIRE A.D./Football coach Mullins. For some stupid reason he helped in running off Marty Barnes. I think he had one losing season in ten years. The other two coaches they have hired have not come close to taking Tech back where they once were.

He wasn't even the AD then....hahahaha.
Go Rogers!

coach_r

March 01, 2006, 02:18:54 pm #7 Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:29:07 pm by coach_r
I never said he was AD then you big nerd, I said he helped in getting him run off. And as for Rodgers, how can they have the largest school district in our great state and absolutely SUCK in every sporting event there is?????? Just look at the Tech Women, they need help to. Since Foley left they pretty much have done nothing. What they need is a National Search for two good coaches to come in and stay awhile, and yes "Zim" would be a great choice, probley the best choice but I don't see him leaving where he's at.. :o

done

Another mouth with a key board.......Boring....

No details, only sensationalism.

Instead of stirring the pot, give SUGGESTIONS that have critical merit that would help the program NOW.

Yea, a national search would be good.  I wonder if they did that last time?  I'll bet so.....

done

And as for Rodgers, how can they have the largest school district in our great state and absolutely SUCK in every sporting event there is

Isn't Coach Barnes coaching there now....and winning?

SandLizard04

Rogers won the AAAAA West in men's basketball this season, I believe. MartyBall gettin' it done in NWA.

R. A.™

I think Tech should go after Eric Bozeman. He is a Tech Alum, Former HC at HSU and former assistant at Ole Miss and currently HC at SAU

Ron Mexico

Word is that there might just be a highly successful high school coach from northeast arkansas that is on the short list for the job...

arkansashooper

really?  who?

just rumor, or facts?!

who is on the list?   what are some of the names being thrown out there?  or talked about as candidates?

is it too early?

coach_r

Is one of them Bill Taylor at BIC or David Hixson at Blytheville. Those are the two most successful coaches in NEA.

Ron Mexico

Quote from: coach_r on March 02, 2006, 11:21:03 am
Is one of them Bill Taylor at BIC or David Hixson at Blytheville. Those are the two most successful coaches in NEA.

It's not David Hixon, if that helps.

arkansashooper

is it his assistant?  bill tyer

coach_r

March 03, 2006, 09:18:52 am #17 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:22:21 am by coach_r
There is no way its Tyer. He's a great coach but way to old and he is out of his prime his his days at MCCC. But if Taylor was going to be the coach why would his son sign with S.Alabama. I do think Taylor would be a great choice. How about David Daniels from Jonesboro. His girls were terrible this year, but he has college experience and once again he is a very good coach.

HOGDOG

First of all Hixon and Taylor are not the most successful coaches in NEA that title might go to Larry Bray and you wouldnt find a better person for the job than him.

Ron Mexico

It's not Daniel, Tyer, or Larry Bray (that would be a great choice).  And who's to say that if South Al. doesn't work out someone might come back to Russelville w/o losing a year of eligibility...

coach_r

Ok, just b/c you are from West Memphis don't mean a whole lot. And yes I did leave him out as a good canidate.he has been very successful at WM but I also thought about Irving Clay who has won every where he has been. A good guess might have been Hixson since he went to school at Tech (i think)but Ron Mexico said not him. Taylor has also won every where he has been.

HOGDOG

What does me being from West Memphis have anything to do with Bray being a good fit for Tech? Clay is very good and can recruit I promise ya he has had plenty of practice at it.

coach_r

Clay being a good recruiter is a fact just ask Turrell. Anyhow if it was going to be anybody it would be Taylor. And  HOGDOG it just didnt seem you were looking at all of the great NEA coaches. I think Bray is a great coach for WM any high school would feel great to have him, but the HEAD COACH at ATU?

HOGDOG

Taylor is a complete jack???. How do you figure any of those guys would be better suited than Bray? Taylor and Clay are no better than Bray in any form or fashion. All 3 I am sure are great coaches but I dont think the other two are as good as Bray. I am biased I know but still his rings kinda speak for themselves.

coach_r

RINGS? Taylor has two from two different schools and Clay has two I know of and maybe three. Pull your head out of your crack b/c RINGS do speak for themselves. Dude these two coaches have won so much stuff its unreal, the could go on and on. I just wish some one would think before they use their keyboard.

HOGDOG

Bray has 6 rings(4 as a head coach) and several runner ups I am well aware that the other coaches have a couple of rings but both dont equal Bray. So take your own advice and put the keyboard down or bottle  or whatever you are on.

coach_r

Ok, Ok you are the god-father of "who f'in cares about WM." If I was old as dirt and was at some school that ABSOLUTLEY NO COACH wants to go to I guess I to could win a state tournament every now and then, especially every time some kid got mad at his coach,or got kicked off his team from say Marion,Turrell,Earle,Crawfordsville,Parkin,or who knows where else from, you will have to excuse me, my bottle is going empty. I'd bet Brays one of the canidates for  the job at UofA when Heath goes, excuse me while I light my pipe.

tuna fish

Quote from: coach_r on March 03, 2006, 02:31:42 pm
Ok, Ok you are the god-father of "who f'in cares about WM." If I was old as dirt and was at some school that ABSOLUTLEY NO COACH wants to go to I guess I to could win a state tournament every now and then, especially every time some kid got mad at his coach,or got kicked off his team from say Marion,Turrell,Earle,Crawfordsville,Parkin,or who knows where else from, you will have to excuse me, my bottle is going empty. I'd bet Brays one of the canidates for  the job at UofA when Heath goes, excuse me while I light my pipe.

You are a complete idiot!

coach_r

I guess since your from WM that makes you a (dang I dropped my bottle) genius, you are probley one of those people in the top 2 % of the smartest ( dang my pipe went out) people in the world. Please forgive me. Anyhow its all just for fun. Bray is a great coach one of the best in the state bar-none, but I really think ATU would hire someone in their mid 30's to late 30's. So once again dont take everything so personal its all for fun. And next time think about what a college really needs more than what you want.

HOGDOG

I would say that I am in the top 5% of smartest people around. I could care less what the crap ATU University does and from what people say about attendance no one else does either. I am quite sure if  Bray left MANY people would be happy to take that job. Hey keep on having fun it is Friday and enjoy the rest of your weekend. None of this is personal to me I was only stating that someone forgot one of the great coaches in NEA. Are any of those other coaches you mentioned in their mid-thirties?

R. A.™

More than likely it will be someone from out of state

Missco

jacket87

I've heard a rumor around campus that Tech is considering offering Quin Snyder from Missouri the job, doubt he would take if he was offered but anybody know anything about this. It would a big salary cut I'm guessing.

kmmbs

Ron Mexico

DN would have a hard time getting a HS job in Jonesboro right now!

SouthpawSensation

I see that the search committee has been formed to find a new coach, but something interesting is missing -- NAMES! Why won't Mullins tell who is on the committee, when we know dog-gone well that whoever Mullins and Brown want, that's who will be picked (which means, of course, another knucklehead).

done

March 13, 2006, 08:15:05 pm #36 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:19:50 pm by done
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on March 13, 2006, 03:46:32 pm
I see that the search committee has been formed to find a new coach, but something interesting is missing -- NAMES! Why won't Mullins tell who is on the committee, when we know dog-gone well that whoever Mullins and Brown want, that's who will be picked (which means, of course, another knucklehead).

Just because someone prints some "news" doesn't mean it is true....SPS, check the TECH website for factual statements before you going posting....this is getting old...

I believe YOU are the knucklehead.  Can you read the website cause it's been there a few days....... athletics.atu.edu

ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 10, 2006
ARKANSAS TECH ANNOUNCES THE SEARCH COMMITTEE FOR NEW
HEAD MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH
RUSSELLVILLE, Arkansas – Arkansas Tech University Athletic Director
Steve Mullins announced Friday that a committee had been formed and the search
is underway to find Tech's new head men's basketball coach.
The committee consists of Mullins, Tech Head Volleyball Coach Kristy Kale,
Tech Head Women's Basketball Coach Todd Schaefer, Tech Head Men's Golf Coach
Dave Falconer, Tech faculty member Dr. Tom DeBlack, who serves as the
school's faculty athletic representative and Russellville community member Maxie
Mathis, who is a former three-time All-American for the Wonder Boys and the
program's fourth all-time leading scorer. 
We have formed a committee and had a preliminary meeting as a group this
week," Mullins said. "We threw some ideas around as far as some general
guidelines for what we're looking for."
The search committee is being charged with finding a replacement for former
Wonder Boys Head Coach Rick McCormick, who resigned nearly two weeks ago
after three seasons at Tech.
McCormick resigned after finishing with a 28-53 overall record in three years.
McCormick's third and final team began the season with a 9-2 start, which was its
best in 21 years, but finished the year with an 11-16 record and a 2-14 mark in the
Gulf South Conference West Division.
Mullins said that as of this time the criteria for a new head coach hasn't been
fine-tuned, but experience coaching at the college level will be high on the list,
along with a coach with a strong background in recruiting.
"We've got to get something done in recruiting this year," Mullins said. "Our
new coach is going to have to bring in a lot of new players and will have a lot of
building to do."
The Wonder Boys are losing five seniors from this past season's team and is
returning only one starter (junior guard Denarryl Rice) and two players
(sophomore guard Josh Bateman and freshman guard Antonio Harrison) that
averaged more than eight minutes per game this past season.
Mullins said that an advertisement for the position has been posted and that
he has already received numerous resumes for the position, with more coming in
by the day.

SouthpawSensation

First of all, I can't because for some strange reason, trying to open up the SID's PDF files locks up my computer, and I'm not the only one who has this problem. I've spoken with others, and that was never a problem while Larry Smith was there as Tech's SID.
I do want to thank you for giving out those names, because if you didn't, I would have never known who was on the committee.
However, I do want to point out that Mullins, DeBlack, Falconer and Mathis was on the same committee last time, when Tech decided to hire McCormick as men's coach. I'm hoping this time, that group will get the right person for the job because the Wonder Boys are in desperate need of a coach that can bring in a quality basketball program. However, I can't help but be leery because, to copy a famous quote "History repeats itself. That's one of the things that is wrong with history."

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: coach_r on March 01, 2006, 09:27:39 am

Not exactly true but close. 

Marty Barnes (1987-99)

Year Overall Record Conference Record
1987-88 22-11 *14-4
1988-89 20-12 12-6
1989-90 24-9 14-4
1990-91 16-15 8-10
1991-92 20-12 11-7
1992-93 23-10 *12-4
1993-94 26-8 *13-1
1994-95 %29-6 *14-2
1995-96 #19-10 7-5
1996-97 14-13 8-4
1997-98 9-17 6-6
1998-99 9-17 5-7
Totals 231-140 (.623) 124-60 (.674)

By the way, Coach Barnes was not fired for on the court reasons.  If Coach Mullins doesn't think that you think that Football is #1, he will find a way to get rid of you.  He hired Coach McCormick because he was a personal friend.  A college should never have a coach be their A.D.

coach_r

Thats what I was trying to say. Mullins does a very good job with the football team, but he does not need to be the A.D. at the same time. And thanks for the information about him hiring one of his old  friends, I didn't know that.

dogpile2345

Face it, The Czar will hire this one, just like he has everyone else.  Mullins is nothing more than a hatchet man for Brown.  They won't listen to Falconer, DeBlack is in Brown's hip pocket and Mathis is a yes man for Brown as well.  The other pawn Schafer is a joke.  He was fired at CBU and was given a second chance by the ex-girls coach and then he stabbed her in the back.  Sounds like a crew of the  "highest integrity"

coach_r

spaceeater

Is there any word on a short list for the new Men's Basketball Coach or a preferred candidate?

SouthpawSensation

Those involved with that process will keep it hush-hush until the very moment when Tech is ready to announce the new coach. Tech tried that when it hired McCormick, but it backfired because Tom Kamerling found out about it the day before. I also seem to recall a certain column after Kristy Kale was hired as volleyball coach about Tech's secrecy ..........

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas