• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will PA pull a hat trick?

Started by PA Dad, June 27, 2016, 09:02:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

June 27, 2016, 09:02:48 pm Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:08:35 pm by PA Dad
Back to back championships are difficult.  Three in a row is very rare.

Can PA do it?  And, if it happens, should the a AAA force PA to move to 6A?  Can they do that?

AirWarren

The AAA should move them to 6A Texas.

HorseFeathers

The Future

5A Central. AKA Conference Little Rock plus a couple. AKA Conference Pulaski Academy.
Seriously, as long as PA is in this conference, whoever has the record for most consecutive conference wins (Barton I believe it is with like 111 or something like that) is in danger of losing that top spot. They moved up there in 2012 and have not lost a conference game yet. Their conference win streak however stretches back even further to week 10 of 2009 with a loss to LRC. So that is no conference losses since 2009.

And with the exception of Sylvan Hills, really noone has a chance of beating PA in conference.
But anyways, PA will start off either 10-0 or 9-1 before starting their quest for a 3peat. It is very possible, however my first 2016 bold ( and this is a very BOLD prediction) is that PA will NOT win state this year. Thats right. You heard it here first folks.

But I do like PA and if they prove me wrong, then more power to them and they will join an elite status with some great teams with a 3peat victory.
Then the question will be next year will they be able to do what many recent great teams have not and grab that rare 4peat?
Way too early for that though lol.

PA Dad

June 28, 2016, 03:11:43 pm #4 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:13:20 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: The Future on June 28, 2016, 03:01:32 pm
5A Central. AKA Conference Little Rock plus a couple. AKA Conference Pulaski Academy.
Seriously, as long as PA is in this conference, whoever has the record for most consecutive conference wins (Barton I believe it is with like 111 or something like that) is in danger of losing that top spot. They moved up there in 2012 and have not lost a conference game yet. Their conference win streak however stretches back even further to week 10 of 2009 with a loss to LRC. So that is no conference losses since 2009.

And with the exception of Sylvan Hills, really noone has a chance of beating PA in conference.
But anyways, PA will start off either 10-0 or 9-1 before starting their quest for a 3peat. It is very possible, however my first 2016 bold ( and this is a very BOLD prediction) is that PA will NOT win state this year. Thats right. You heard it here first folks.

But I do like PA and if they prove me wrong, then more power to them and they will join an elite status with some great teams with a 3peat victory.
Then the question will be next year will they be able to do what many recent great teams have not and grab that rare 4 peat?
Way too early for that though lol.

I agree that it will be difficult for PA to 3peat.  It always is for any team for many reasons.  Injuries, an off night, and good opponents can derail PA.  Batesville, Alma, Blytheville, and Wynne are all capable of beating PA.  And, we'll see some teams step up this year  that we don't expect who may be able to beat them.

It will be interesting.

The Future

Quote from: PA Dad on June 28, 2016, 03:11:43 pm
I agree that it will be difficult for PA to 3peat.  It always is for any team for many reasons.  Injuries, an off night, and good opponents can derail PA.  Batesville, Alma, Blytheville, and Wynne are all capable of beating PA.  And, we'll see some teams step up this year  that we don't expect who may be able to beat them.

It will be interesting.

Im hoping very much for a PA Alma matchup. Could be quite the battle

Lumberjackfan1978

It will be tough for PA but they just might do it,if I was betting I would put my money on PA

Hoghead2

PA wins it all again.  Go ahead and crown them. Barring injury, I see them blowing people out and onside kicking them to sleep.

GuvHog

Quote from: PA Dad on June 27, 2016, 09:02:48 pm

Can PA do it?  And, if it happens, should the a AAA force PA to move to 6A?  Can they do that?

It's my understanding that PA has requested that they be moved to 6A in 2018. Is that not correct??

Oldbadger

I think they should receive a bye through to the state tournament.  No use wasting time and fuel to play games they will definitely win.  It will help their regular season opponents as it may keep them from injuring players.  They can go ahead and place the conference championship trophy in their trophy case, if there is room, so players can admire it beforehand.

PA Dad

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 01:07:55 pm
It's my understanding that PA has requested that they be moved to 6A in 2018. Is that not correct??

I have not heard that.  I'll be happy if it is true.

The_Pioneer

MDXPHD

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 01:07:55 pm

I heard they petitioned to play 7A too, but 7A and 6A were too scared and wouldn't allow them to join. I'm not sure how true that is, but I believe it. That's why PA is only allowed to schedule out of state schools.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 04, 2016, 07:53:15 pm
I heard they petitioned to play 7A too, but 7A and 6A were too scared and wouldn't allow them to join. I'm not sure how true that is, but I believe it. That's why PA is only allowed to schedule out of state schools.

That's probably true.  I heard Fayetteville said they would quit playing football if they had to play PA.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 04, 2016, 08:42:38 pm
That's probably true.  I heard Fayetteville said they would quit playing football if they had to play PA.

I'm confident they did quit after that scrimmage one year. Canceled their season I believe.

RD™

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 30, 2016, 12:01:12 am
PA wins it all again.  Go ahead and crown them. Barring injury, I see them blowing people out and onside kicking them to sleep.
Wait is the good ole Navy Chief the Original Hoghead?

purpleswag

Quote from: PA Dad on June 27, 2016, 09:02:48 pm

Seriously?!?!? I try and not butt heads with people on here but this is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted.

Plus the AAA wouldn't dare offend any of the PA faithful. They have been protecting them all these years I'm surprised they allowed LRC in the conference.

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on July 05, 2016, 08:18:01 pm
Seriously?!?!? I try and not butt heads with people on here but this is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted.

Plus the AAA wouldn't dare offend any of the PA faithful. They have been protecting them all these years I'm surprised they allowed LRC in the conference.

How has the AAA protected PA? I realize that i am intectually challenged but what specifically is dumb about the post?

purpleswag

Quote from: PA Dad on July 05, 2016, 09:50:59 pm
How has the AAA protected PA? I realize that i am intectually challenged but what specifically is dumb about the post?

"Should they be forced to move to the 6a?" Seriously?? Where are we Korea? This is high school football here

Maybe it's protection maybe it's not but I think it's crap they let them move up into that garbage conference.

LRM had a break through season last year, but we will see if it was a once in a lifetime thing.

Everyone talks about sylvan hills every year but it seems like they end up underachieving.

I can't believe they let LRC in because they have a legit chance of giving them some competition year end year out.

It's nice that all season they can polish up on all these turds remain healthy and then go to the playoffs as a 1 seed

And yes they go off and play all these teams out of state teams which is cool but it's way different having to beat someone that will only see you once vs running the gauntlet in season

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 07:43:26 am
"Should they be forced to move to the 6a?" Seriously?? Where are we Korea? This is high school football here

Maybe it's protection maybe it's not but I think it's crap they let them move up into that garbage conference.

LRM had a break through season last year, but we will see if it was a once in a lifetime thing.

Everyone talks about sylvan hills every year but it seems like they end up underachieving.

I can't believe they let LRC in because they have a legit chance of giving them some competition year end year out.

It's nice that all season they can polish up on all these turds remain healthy and then go to the playoffs as a 1 seed

And yes they go off and play all these teams out of state teams which is cool but it's way different having to beat someone that will only see you once vs running the gauntlet in season

So what conference should they play in?

MDXPHD

purpleswag

Quote from: PA Dad on July 06, 2016, 10:16:19 am

Put them in the west. If LRC can be there from 10 min away then PA can. Not saying they wouldn't mow over them also but you know for the most part they would have to see a quality opponent just about every week.

Oldbadger

I think PA should eliminate all sports and concentrate only on academics.  They should be able to attend sporting events of the school of their choosing and cheer their chosen team to victory.  This would save lots of revenue that could be used to attract the choicest students in the state and ensure they win the Quiz bowl year after year. lol

Overdahill

The Quiz bowl. Is that on New Years day?

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on July 06, 2016, 10:16:19 am
Private school league.

PA Dad

Quote from: B.G. on July 06, 2016, 02:57:06 pm
Private school league.

We debated this issue in another thread.  There's just not enough private schools to make that work.

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 11:18:45 am
Put them in the west. If LRC can be there from 10 min away then PA can. Not saying they wouldn't mow over them also but you know for the most part they would have to see a quality opponent just about every week.

Actually, judging by the playoff teams of the last couple of years, the Central conference is the strongest, or at least equal to any other conference.

purpleswag

Quote from: PA Dad on July 06, 2016, 03:12:30 pm
Actually, judging by the playoff teams of the last couple of years, the Central conference is the strongest, or at least equal to any other conference.

You're a true homer if you think the 5a central is one of the strongest conferences. Possibly the weakest conference in the state.

The south isn't dominating but it's still better than the central. If sylvan hills plays as well as people think they should and LRM can stay competative I will change my tune.

But the bottom half of the central is sooooooo bad

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 03:23:45 pm
You're a true homer if you think the 5a central is one of the strongest conferences. Possibly the weakest conference in the state.

The south isn't dominating but it's still better than the central. If sylvan hills plays as well as people think they should and LRM can stay competative I will change my tune.

But the bottom half of the central is sooooooo bad

I agree on the bottom half.  But that's true of all the conferences.

The Central had two teams in the championship game last year, and two teams in the semis the year before.  No other conference can match that.

BM22

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 07:43:26 am

"Year in, year out".  Now that is funny right there. PA has owned LRC, along with everybody else....lol.... PA will continue to dominate the Warriors.

Overdahill

Quote from: BM22 on July 06, 2016, 04:05:29 pm
"Year in, year out".  Now that is funny right there.[/b] PA has owned LRC, along with everybody else....lol.... PA will continue to dominate the Warriors.

Amen ;)

purpleswag

Quote from: BM22 on July 06, 2016, 04:05:29 pm
"Year in, year out".  Now that is funny right there. PA has owned LRC, along with everybody else....lol.... PA will continue to dominate the Warriors.

True you did last year. I don't know the history between the 2 teams but they are replacing jacksonville and I know they're a better team than Jacksonville regularly

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on July 06, 2016, 03:11:20 pm
We debated this issue in another thread.  There's just not enough private schools to make that work.
Sure there are.

PA Dad

Quote from: B.G. on July 06, 2016, 07:39:12 pm
Sure there are.

You are correct - there are enough.  But there are not enough good teams to make a competitive conference.  PA would dominate.

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on July 06, 2016, 07:44:06 pm
You are correct - there are enough.  But there are not enough good teams to make a competitive conference.  PA would dominate.
Which is different how than now?

PA Dad

the voice

If a private school league  was formed , I think it would be the down fall of pa in football. To play in a league that was only privates would discourage many from attending there I would think.

In talking with numerous 5A coaches , they prefer PA to stay as to having greenwood return.  Unless a couple others move up that's who would come back to 5A ,

GuvHog

Quote from: the voice on July 06, 2016, 09:11:06 pm
If a private school league  was formed , I think it would be the down fall of pa in football. To play in a league that was only privates would discourage many from attending there I would think.

In talking with numerous 5A coaches , they prefer PA to stay as to having greenwood return.  Unless a couple others move up that's who would come back to 5A ,

Greenwood would be given first option to move down to 5A but they can decline and the next school up will be given the option.

the voice

Really ? Didn't know that. Never know what they might do.
Thanks for info.

Pr8hd

July 07, 2016, 06:55:17 pm #39 Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:09:56 pm by Pr8hd
As for the thread topic, I would say PA should pull off the hat trick. The Bruins have been a notch ahead of the rest of 5A for some time much like GW was back during their multiple 3 peats 2005-2007 and 2010-2012 with the last one being in 6A. They could be beaten this year, but right now I don't see it. The contenders mentioned by others don't particularly seem well suited traditionally to handle the spread attack defensively and survive a shootout offensively with PA. Add to that, the pressure they put on you with their balls out style often make many teams crumble.

As for the GW talk, my guess is GW would likely step down simply due to the new travel required in the all 6A West versus what travel would be in a 5A West. Also, it might come at a time where CRJ, who's 61 now, might decide to step aside by that cycle. So, it would provide a new coach firmer footing/ time to to fill in the tremendous shadows left behind. If Jones stays for some time, then all bets are off. I think he has made it known he likes playing/competing with the big boys in the state.  I am not real sure why PA would be preferred to remain over GW. PA is very tough team to beat and beat GW @home the last two times they met in the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.  There are not many teams that can say that under Jones.

The Future

Quote from: Pr8hd on July 07, 2016, 06:55:17 pm
As for the thread topic, I would say PA should pull off the hat trick. The Bruins have been a notch ahead of the rest of 5A for some time much like GW was back during their multiple 3 peats 2005-2007 and 2010-2012 with the last one being in 6A. They could be beaten this year, but right now I don't see it. The contenders mentioned by others don't particularly seem well suited traditionally to handle the spread attack defensively and survive a shootout offensively with PA. Add to that, the pressure they put on you with their balls out style often make many teams crumble.

As for the GW talk, my guess is GW would likely step down simply due to the new travel required in the all 6A West versus what travel would be in a 5A West. Also, it might come at a time where CRJ, who's 61 now, might decide to step aside by that cycle. So, it would provide a new coach firmer footing/ time to to fill in the tremendous shadows left behind. If Jones stays for some time, then all bets are off. I think he has made it known he likes playing/competing with the big boys in the state.  I am not real sure why PA would be preferred to remain over GW. PA is very tough team to beat and beat GW @home the last two times they met in the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.  There are not many teams that can say that under Jones.

Actually PaDad  only 1 team can say they have  beaten Greenwood at home more than once. And both times were during the playoffs.
Teams to beat Greenwood at home since Jones arrived in 2004:
Vilonia 06 close game
Harber 08
Harrison 08 close game
PA 08
PA 09 close game
Pine Bluff 13 close game
Eldorado 14

So yes Pulaski Academy is in a class all its own beating Greenwood twice at home. Pine Bluff is also in there beating Greenwood twice in the playoffs but one was at home and the other at The Rock.

But it's been years now since these 2 teams squared off. In fact it's now been almost 10 since the 2006 classic. These teams have evolved since their last meeting. If Greenwood happens to step down next cycle, I hope and look forward to PA still being there.  We need to remind the 5A who the king still is :)

the voice

Greenwood just stay where you are. 😉

PA Dad

Quote from: The Future on July 07, 2016, 10:01:42 pm
Actually PaDad  only 1 team can say they have  beaten Greenwood at home more than once. And both times were during the playoffs.
Vilonia 06 close game
Harber 08
Harrison 08 close game
PA 08
PA 09 close game
Pine Bluff 13 close game
Eldorado 14

So yes Pulaski Academy is in a class all its own beating Greenwood twice at home. Pine Bluff is also in there beating Greenwood twice in the playoffs but one was at home and the other at The Rock.

But it's been years now since these 2 teams squared off. In fact it's now been almost 10 since the 2006 classic. These teams have evolved since their last meeting. If Greenwood happens to step down next cycle, I hope and look forward to PA still being there.  We need to remind the 5A who the king still is :)

I'd love to see PA and GW play again.  They've had some great games and I'm sure any future games would be the same.  But, I'd really hate to hear the GW faithful cry after losing to PA!

Wonderdog

Kelley and Jones need to schedule a non conference with each other next season. Jones and Greenwood would still get a formidable opponent, and Kelley and the PA boosters/parents would save a nice chunk of change on one week's worth of air fares and hotel stays. Plus it would be a fantastic game I am sure.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Wonderdog on July 08, 2016, 12:47:55 am
Kelley and Jones need to schedule a non conference with each other next season. Jones and Greenwood would still get a formidable opponent, and Kelley and the PA boosters/parents would save a nice chunk of change on one week's worth of air fares and hotel stays. Plus it would be a fantastic game I am sure.

Won't happen. Greenwood is scared of PA, like all of the other larger schools.

Pr8hd

July 08, 2016, 11:47:35 am #45 Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:57:38 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: MDXPHD on July 08, 2016, 08:43:14 am
Won't happen. Greenwood is scared of PA, like all of the other larger schools.

You might catch some fish here....

GW definitely respects PA, don't think they are scared, per say. I don't think your broad paint stroke applies here.

The facts are: GW's non-conference slate is full now with FS Northside, FS Southside and Alma - all are big gate/revenue games and close in proximity.  The previous 2 years (2014-2015- Springdale, Southside, Northside) GW's non-con schedule was all 7A teams in addition to Conway, Bryant, Catholic and Van Buren 7A conf. opponents. Lastly, their benefit/scrimmage game was against Fayetteville. None of this strikes me as trying to take the easy road or being scared.   

I can't see GW dropping one of the 3 current non-con for PA just so they can see who's Johnson is bigger.

Overdahill

The "fisherman" is from Batesville; I bet he misses greenwood :D

Pr8hd

Quote from: Overdahill on July 08, 2016, 03:27:25 pm
The "fisherman" is from Batesville; I bet he misses greenwood :D

+1 on that....my guess is that Coach King won't be counting his early "Christmas presents" again when it comes to the Bulldogs.

He probably lost all belief in Santa because of GW  ;)

Go Postal

Quote from: The Future on July 07, 2016, 10:01:42 pm
Vilonia 06 close game
Harber 08
Harrison 08 close game
PA 08
PA 09 close game
Pine Bluff 13 close game
Eldorado 14

Harrison won by 3 points in a 99 point game.  My son was a junior, might still have that on DVD somewhere.  Goblins went 7-3 that year and still didn't go to the playoffs.

The Future

Quote from: Go Postal on July 12, 2016, 03:11:09 pm
Harrison won by 3 points in a 99 point game.  My son was a junior, might still have thashht on DVD somewhere.  Goblins went 7-3 that year and still didn't go to the playoffs.

You wanna beat Greenwood AND make the playoffs?? No need to be greedy lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas