• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MIKE COX RESIGNS AS CF FOOTBALL COACH

Started by bleudog, March 31, 2016, 07:45:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

March 31, 2016, 07:45:07 pm Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:42:37 pm by bleudog
From the Fox Sports Radio 92.7 Facebook page:

MIKE COX RESIGNS AS CF FOOTBALL COACH
By KELLY BLAIR

Mike Cox has officially resigned as the head coach of the Camden Fairview Cardinals football team, and this time he says he is sticking with it.

At 4 pm today, Cox confirmed to Fox Sports Radio 92.7 that he has officially turned in a letter of resignation. About a year ago, news broke that Cox had resigned as Cards head coach but he later had a change of heart and decided to stay.

This time, Cox - who has 29 years in the education field - said he is definitely stepping down so he can retire and spend more time with his family. He did say he would stay for the remainder of his contract.

"For me, at this time, this is what is best for me and my family," Cox said. "I always said before that if it ever got to the point where I thought my heart wasn't in it like it should be, I was going to get out of the way and let someone else do it. That's what I am doing now."

Cox spent 21 of his 29 years coaching and teaching in Camden, as a high school assistant, junior high coach, and finally head coach of the Cardinals. He leaves with a 14-9 record in 2 years with the Cardinals, after finishing 8-4 in 2014 season and 6-5 in 2015.

Cox repeatedly stressed that he was not mad or frustrated with anyone at the school, and that he was just ready to spend more time with his father, wife, and doing things like hunting, fishing and possibly traveling.

"Nobody has done anything to me or run me off ... They have supported me well here," Cox said. "I'm just gonna take some time for myself, and if I feel like coaching again a couple of,years down the line, I'm sure I can find a school that will hire me."

After spending years as a high school assistant, Cox finally got a head coaching job at Bearden in 2006, and posted a 61-8 record in 5 seasons, finishing as the 2A state runner up twice.

Cox then went to 4A Hamburg, where he finished 3-7, 6-5, and 9-3 in three season before coming to Camden Fairview.

Cox thanked all the people who supported him in his two seasons with the Cardinals, and said he would support whoever the school hires to replace him.

"I'll be a Cardinal for life," Cox said. "I want to be a team player... We're still going to do offseason until the replacement gets here. If the want me to mow the field, I'll mow the field. Whoever they hire, everyone here needs to get behind them and row in the same direction."

Camden Fairview deputy superintendent and personnel director Fred Lilly said the district will open up the job to the state and beyond, and would begin taking applications immediately.

"We appreciate everything Mike has done in his time here, and wish him nothing but the best," Lilly said.

"We'll post the job locally and online, with the Democrat-Gazette, and we'll work hard to find the best coach we can find for the job."

AirWarren

Wow. Wonder if he wants to go back to Bearden?

Made

I saw they were looking for a DC, did they already fill the head coach spot?

browning_gold_12

"....Whoever they hire, everyone here needs to get behind them and row in the same direction...."

EVERYONE....

Redbird88

Quote from: browning_gold_12 on April 01, 2016, 08:01:33 am
"....Whoever they hire, everyone here needs to get behind them and row in the same direction...."

EVERYONE....
Its hard to row a boat that's filling with water

Pat Swilling

Camden - Great facilities, athletic pool, football town.  they will get good guy.

airitout

EVERYONE....

why do i have to get behind them?  i don't give a crap!

browning_gold_12

Quote from: Redbird88 on April 01, 2016, 08:26:56 am
Its hard to row a boat that's filling with water

Given the choice are you gonna sit there and just drown or row for shore?

The way I see it I have 4 years left, since I have a freshman entering the program this coming season. Unless he blows up into a sure enough hoss, that will be the end of his football career. I can't control what happens on the field. My time for that passed when I coached his last down for the Camden Bulldogs. But I can support him 100%, and help him learn life lessons that will be far more valuable to him down the road, when adversity is thrown his way on or off the field, or how he handles wins and losses. I personally witnessed some folks fail their kids in a big way the past couple years. I did myself, but it had nothing to do with football, just throwing that in so I don't come across as sounding perfect, or holier than thou. What we can do is learn from it and do better going forward. And I hope some other parents, fans and Admin's will do the same. Cardinal Nation became spoiled to success, and suffered because of it. We will be back tho. I called this when these kids were in the 4th grade. The 2018/2019 class will be something special. Just long enough for the new guy to have his plan in place. He will have the "Jimmy's and Joe's" he just needs to bring the right X's and O's. Thanks to the Cox family for all you did, best of luck in the future, and GO CARDS!!!

Marblehog

Camden is on a downward trend athletically.  Ive watched the teams over the years and after this group of seniors graduates there is gonna be a big dropoff.

spongebob

EVERYONE....
I don't see how you can blindly support a decision that hasn't even been made yet? We've seen one decision made by this administration(AD, school board, committee) and you can now see how it turned out. The resigning coach was supported within the above group by a few individuals that wanted him as coach and they convinced everyone else to ignore everyone else applying and he was chosen. In my opinion, this was a flawed process and you see where CF is today. Doing the same thing they were doing 2 years ago. Are they going to do this the correct way this time and give EVERY applicant a fair and equal chance at the job or do they already have a nephew, son, or brother already in mind and going through a token process again? This is why I choose to wait and watch what happens before I support ANOTHER dumb decision.

browning_gold_12

Well I guess I am trying to subscribe to the theory of "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade", not throw them at someone. Like I said, my boy has 4 years at best of football left. I would much rather him look back at them seeing that his old man supported him and tried to help him make the best of it, instead of bashing and berating his coach, telling him what an idiot he was, and celebrating when teammates that were ahead of him on the depth chart struggled or failed. If that is how we as adults choose to mold our children, how are they going to respond 10 years down the road when they have boss they don't agree with or when they have to deal with just general things life throws at them? Are mommy and daddy gonna swoop in and tell them that its ok you do not have to do that or take that or whatever just because it doesn't line up with the way you think? At some point there are a bunch of folks that are gonna get a rude awakening. I'd just as soon my kid be prepared for it now...

Pat Swilling

Quote from: browning_gold_12 on April 05, 2016, 07:54:30 am
Well I guess I am trying to subscribe to the theory of "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade", not throw them at someone. Like I said, my boy has 4 years at best of football left. I would much rather him look back at them seeing that his old man supported him and tried to help him make the best of it, instead of bashing and berating his coach, telling him what an idiot he was, and celebrating when teammates that were ahead of him on the depth chart struggled or failed. If that is how we as adults choose to mold our children, how are they going to respond 10 years down the road when they have boss they don't agree with or when they have to deal with just general things life throws at them? Are mommy and daddy gonna swoop in and tell them that its ok you do not have to do that or take that or whatever just because it doesn't line up with the way you think? At some point there are a bunch of folks that are gonna get a rude awakening. I'd just as soon my kid be prepared for it now...
good post!

Redbird88

Quote from: browning_gold_12 on April 05, 2016, 07:54:30 am
So what your saying is you would drink lemonade with a coach that leaves your injured son on the sidelines for the opposing team to bring to the locker room?And stand behind a good ole boy system that the current administration has in place?

Redbird88

Quote from: Redbird88 on April 05, 2016, 08:48:32 am
So what your saying is you would drink lemonade with a coach that leaves your injured son on the sidelines for the opposing team to bring to the locker room?And stand behind a good ole boy system that the current administration has in place?
Not to mention the hiring of two highly unqualified coaches at key positions

spongebob

So you're also saying always follow authority, government, etc because they wouldn't hold these positions unless they were qualified to do so? You're saying don't rock the boat, don't complain even when you see things going on that you know aren't right?

spongebob

Quote from: Redbird88 on April 05, 2016, 08:52:29 am
Not to mention the hiring of two highly unqualified coaches at key positions
+1

Redbird88

April 05, 2016, 09:01:29 am #16 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:04:42 am by Redbird88
Quote from: Redbird88 on April 05, 2016, 08:48:32 am
And by the way it wasn't my son 😊  I would feel the same if it were your son. that lemonade is just to bitter to drink!!!

spongebob

April 05, 2016, 09:02:41 am #17 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:06:42 am by spongebob
And just for an example, let's say they promoted a current member of the staff. I'm just making up a position. Let's say they promoted the offensive line coach to HC because they thought he was best man for job. You're still saying administration knows what they are doing and he should be fully supported no matter what feelings you have about their decision? Like I said just using the O Line coach as an example. I actually think you are failing your son by not looking out for his best interests BEFORE the next HC is hired. I would think you would want him to play for the best coach he could play for to fulfil his talent to be the best he could be. I respect your opinion. We just don't share the same view. 

Redbird88

Quote from: spongebob on April 05, 2016, 09:02:41 am
And just for an example, let's say they promoted a current member of the staff. I'm just making up a position. Let's say they promoted the offensive line coach to HC because they thought he was best man for job. You're still saying administration knows what they are doing and he should be fully supported no matter what feelings you have about their decision? Like I said just using the O Line coach as an example.
Did we even have an offensive line coach????

spongebob

Yes but I am not picking on him. Just using a position coach as an example that isn't related to resigning coach

wing

Just checking in to see if opinions on this topic have changed.  I think the answer is no. Hoping that everyone involved in hiring the next HC will leave their personal agendas at the door.

kosher33

Have there been any names being thrown around of guys who applied for the position?

Lions84

GotInfo?

Will be several good coaches come after this job.  Hire needs to be very well done, but a fast pace.  Next HC needs to get there ASAP.

oldcard

How many coaches have left the program in the last 3 years?

browning_gold_12

Redbird and Spongebob, I said none of those things! That's what you are twisting your agenda to say. I seriously only stated how I would handle my kid. Does seem I struck a nerve though....  ;)

Randy

April 06, 2016, 03:53:45 pm #26 Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:04:42 pm by Randy
It's easy to strike a nerve with those guys. They're easily upset.  :-*

Redbird88

Quote from: browning_gold_12 on April 06, 2016, 03:46:40 pm
Redbird and Spongebob, I said none of those things! That's what you are twisting your agenda to say. I seriously only stated how I would handle my kid. Does seem I struck a nerve though....  ;)
Thanks I consider it an honor to be included in the same post with the great sponge bob 😜 If you have an extra fire suit maybe you could present it to the new coach before he jumps into the burning dumpster 😂

Youngsta71701

Quote from: wing on April 05, 2016, 04:43:12 pm
Just checking in to see if opinions on this topic have changed.  I think the answer is no. Hoping that everyone involved in hiring the next HC will leave their personal agendas at the door.

Preach!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: wing on April 05, 2016, 04:43:12 pm

As long as we hire someone that is organized, has a plan, and puts the kids in the best positions to succeed we'll be just fine. The last two years I don't care what anybody says the coaches were so unorganized therefore the kids looked like they were unorganized. But in reality they were just doing what the coaches told them to do and they were in places on defense where the coaches told them to be. We still haven't sealed the edge till this day!

Youngsta71701

April 07, 2016, 09:51:44 am #30 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:06:37 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: unbiased_fan on April 07, 2016, 09:04:40 am
Cox is a stack guy right?  Thats kind of an all or nothing defense.

Whatever it was it wasn't fundamentally sound and it wasn't balanced.

Pat Swilling

Redbird88

Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 07, 2016, 10:25:02 am
anybody snooping around CF?
Just the fire department looking for the infamous dumpster

browning_gold_12

Guess my point is still missed... Did the staff, and even admin do some things wrong? Yep. By parents and fans responding wrong, did that make it right? Nope. It is sort of like a parallel to a very valuable lesson, not only in humility, but just in life I was privileged to learn over the last year and a half or so. It has made me look at people, and situations way different than I used to. "Don't judge me just because I sin differently than you do..." Marinate on that one...

Youngsta71701

No matter what you say everybody's not going to like or support the head coach. You see how some disliked Buck James and he was winning consistently and within the rules as far as I know. The only thing they can do is hire the best candidate for the job and hope he wins or at least looks like he knows what he's doing. If we are winning within the rules I would just stay the heck out of the way let the coaches coach, the players play, and the haters hate. Because win, lose, or tie there will always be haters. That's just a part of life.

GotInfo?

I think they take apps through this week and then start interviews. 

The A-Team

Spring practice is right around the corner. I hope our administration get it right and hire the right guy. Someone who will get a REAL OC and DC. Along with someone to teach these kids how to block. Also someone to implement a good weight program. Am I asking for to much?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: unbiased_fan on April 11, 2016, 04:40:44 pm
Coaches have to be allowed to coach.

Yep and they ran off one of the best coaches we've ever had because they couldn't keep their noses out of his program. Hopefully the lesson is learned and that won't happen again.

GotInfo?

Word is interviews would start Monday.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: GotInfo? on April 13, 2016, 08:59:55 am
Word is interviews would start Monday.

cant believe no rumored applicants?  high profile job.

GotInfo?

Not much talk as of who all has applied.  Usually I've heard a few names by now.  I'm sure it will come out in next several days though.

Redbird88

Pat Swilling

Redbird88

Redbird88

Pat Swilling

I would expect a Hire to be made by end of the month.  We will see. 

GotInfo?

Interviews start today. Bringing in 6 is what I hear.  Hope to name HC by next weeks board meeting on Thursday.

Pat Swilling

That would make sense.   Gonna be hard to get guy in by spring ball.

Randy

Youngsta, you have your application turned in?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas