• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paragould Head Football Job

Started by OB11, January 19, 2016, 10:54:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

Any interest in this job?  Anyone heard any names?   Will be a tough place to win but they do have top notch football facilities.

Chief-Chickasaw

I like the facilities over there but what was the reason for no one playing? Y'all had like 22 kids last year.  I told Grond Blytheville would gladly trade some skill players for a few linemen. I think in Paragould could get a few skill kids in they could be really good.  You have to have the numbers though.

Grond

January 19, 2016, 10:27:44 pm #2 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:43:50 pm by Grond

Footballguru16

January 19, 2016, 10:47:08 pm #3 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:48:57 pm by Footballguru16
It just stinks with a school this size and no success, it will be extremely hard to be competitive. This position could kill a coaches career. The Rams finished the season with 20 something players, those numbers will never consistently beat Wynne.

Grond

January 20, 2016, 08:22:49 am #4 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:44:37 pm by Grond

Grond

January 20, 2016, 09:13:19 am #5 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:45:04 pm by Grond

WTD

What scheme has Paragould been running on offense and defense?

OB11

Quote from: Footballguru16 on January 19, 2016, 10:47:08 pm
It just stinks with a school this size and no success, it will be extremely hard to be competitive. This position could kill a coaches career. The Rams finished the season with 20 something players, those numbers will never consistently beat Wynne.

I think this job could be attractive to a younger coach.  If someone came in and had a little success with a program like this, it could boost his career big time.

Missco

I think part of the problem is culture. Paragould like GCT has always had administrator's that were basketball guys. The right person could win their but it would take more than being a great X and O's coach.

Qhcaoc

It is a good paying job with good facilities but you will have a tough time ever winning anything there. The schools in Paragould are similar to the rogers schools that are having trouble finding a coach. That conference is very top heavy most years with Wynne and Batesville being the 2 consistent powers and Forrest City, Nettleton and Blytheville fighting for the other playoff spots and unfortunately in football Paragould is a bottom feeder.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:04:50 pm
I think part of the problem is culture. Paragould like GCT has always had administrator's that were basketball guys. The right person could win their but it would take more than being a great X and O's coach.
The culture is not geared towards winning football. You got to have someone to inspire and motivate and recruit from the student body. No one wants to play for a team that has a history of losing seasons.

Pat Swilling

I can't help but believe PHS can have success.  Stars just have to align. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pat Swilling on January 21, 2016, 12:08:21 pm
I can't help but believe PHS can have success.  Stars just have to align.

The last time Paragould was good in football, Keedy was coaching there, haha. I played against those teams.

Footballguru16

Paragould record last 15 years:

44 wins/ 107 losses

2.9 wins a year

and

7.1 losses a year

Thats rough! Yes if a young coach can come in and win 6 would be great for a career but the odds are you are gonna win 3 or fewer.

And that means it could kill your career because 3 wins aren't setting the world on fire.

FD4

Wynne had a set of seasons after "The General" left following the 06 season.  Coach Shempert took over and for some strange reason the diamond T was just not the same.  The defense was.  Enter Chris Hill with a new plan and that modern method of offense.  Instant success.  Went from worst to first pretty quick so to speak.

No reason a younger, motivated, enthusiastic and steward of the game could not come in and get the thing ripping right out of the gate.  Sort of like what coach Gary Moody has done over there in Gosnell.  If the guy taking the job can sell his brand of oats to the guys playing the game, get them to buy in and believe in what they are capable of, it would work.  It has to be the right man for the job though.  He has to be a proven winner with superior knowledge of the game.  I know there has to be some level of talent up there.  I wish them well and hope the administration gets the right guy, and gets out of his way and lets him do his thing.

bigchief72455

Quote from: FD4 on January 21, 2016, 04:08:35 pm
Wynne had a set of seasons after "The General" left following the 06 season.  Coach Shempert took over and for some strange reason the diamond T was just not the same.  The defense was.  Enter Chris Hill with a new plan and that modern method of offense.  Instant success.  Went from worst to first pretty quick so to speak.

No reason a younger, motivated, enthusiastic and steward of the game could not come in and get the thing ripping right out of the gate.  Sort of like what coach Gary Moody has done over there in Gosnell.  If the guy taking the job can sell his brand of oats to the guys playing the game, get them to buy in and believe in what they are capable of, it would work.  It has to be the right man for the job though.  He has to be a proven winner with superior knowledge of the game.  I know there has to be some level of talent up there.  I wish them well and hope the administration gets the right guy, and gets out of his way and lets him do his thing.
H will have to compete with the band too.

Beaver Fever

if your competing with the band for kids you're probably not gonna win anyway!

Missco

Gosnell is a little different situation than Paragould. Moody hasn't improved the program much just kept it at about the same level.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Beaver Fever on January 21, 2016, 07:40:30 pm
if your competing with the band for kids you're probably not gonna win anyway!
I knew a number of good athletes who were also in band when I was at White Hall.

Beaver Fever

But if they are picking band over football they ain't players

Lionheart88

Quote from: Beaver Fever on January 22, 2016, 06:21:28 am
You may not believe this, but it is possible for good athletes to prefer playing music to the risk of getting their heads beaten in.  Just because a kid picks band doesn't mean they couldn't hack it in football.

The_Pioneer

The scholarship to play music in college is exactly the same opportunity as the same to play sports.

purpleswag

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 22, 2016, 06:39:31 am
You may not believe this, but it is possible for good athletes to prefer playing music to the risk of getting their heads beaten in.  Just because a kid picks band doesn't mean they couldn't hack it in football.

I'm not sure that he was saying they couldn't "hack it." Just that they aren't "players." Meaning if they would rather do something else they probably aren't going to put the work in that's required

Lionheart88

Because, y'know, band is so easy and doesn't require any extra work.  lol   ::)

purpleswag

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 22, 2016, 09:38:27 am

Never said that it didn't. Was saying that if they weren't very interested in football in the first place then they wouldn't put the work in to get better at it.

We all know carrying a tuba is just as much work as playing football. That's why they are in such good shape and all

mrkingark

That pretty much explains the problem when someone thinks band and band practice is as hard or tough as football.  That would be like saying the golf team is as hard as football, they do walk a long way.

Tigerdad2

All this talk about band , you would think the topic is about Berryville Football not
Paragould

WPWells

I guess athletic scholarships are easier to get than band scholarships. At least that's what I'm gathering from this thread

Footballguru16

Its not good when we are talking more about the band than the football team. Tough situation

OB11

Not going to be an easy job for whoever gets it. 

Heard that the coach getting reassigned was making over $80K and did not teach a class.  Word is, the coach they hire next will have teaching responsibilities.  It is on the school website as a coach/secondary teacher opening. 

Lionheart88

Quote from: mrkingark on January 22, 2016, 01:44:44 pm

That pretty much explains the problem when someone thinks band and band practice is as hard or tough as football.  That would be like saying the golf team is as hard as football, they do walk a long way.
Right. 

PA Dad

Coach Moody at McClellan turned that program around in a hurry.

Made

Quote from: PA Dad on January 23, 2016, 10:14:47 am

Coach Moody at McClellan turned that program around in a hurry.
McClellan had some animals....

Grond

January 23, 2016, 11:52:20 am #33 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:19:00 pm by Grond
To begin, let me explain why I deleted my previous posts.

I passionately want Paragould football to have greater success. But I have a bad habit of harking on a perceived negative issue, rather than supporting good accomplishments. My comments presented an inaccurate picture of Paragould football, and were very hurtful to some good people.

I am very sorry for my actions.

NOTE: I have heard NOTHING OFFICIAL about Paragould having a coaching change. (And I don't have any 'special' connections.) So, the whole premise of this thread may be wrong.

Paragould Football - PROGRESS
So often, "success" is measured in "wins". OK, let's go there.....

2012 - Had Paragould won their last game, they would have gone to the PLAYOFFS. And it was a close game.

2014 - The Paragould coaching staff decided on a change in tactics; which led to more WINS. Paragould went 4-6, and was frustratingly close to beating Valley View and Batesville. More importantly, Paragould BEAT GCT!!!! (Cross-town rival; first win against GCT in about 5 years.)

2015 - Paragould lost a lot of seniors in 2014, so 2015 was going to be a tough year. Paragould beat GCT again, which was a great accomplishment for the coaches and the players.

Coaching is like cooking; no two people have the same tastes. It is very easy to find a reason to criticize a coach. But there HAS BEEN PROGRESS in the Paragould football program, and the Paragould coaches deserve a chance to reap the rewards of their efforts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in 2012, 2013, and 2014, Paragould had linemen that had a chance to play football at D1, D2, and NAIA colleges.

walkingguy72396

Real trick is  keeping the kids who show up to practice in 7th grade. To also show up to practice in the 12th grade.

I suggest that no Paragould girls talk to any boys not on the football team.

Numbers will soar.

OB11

Quote from: Grond on January 23, 2016, 11:52:20 am

I passionately want Paragould football to have greater success. But I have a bad habit of harking on a perceived negative issue, rather than supporting good accomplishments. My comments presented an inaccurate picture of Paragould football, and were very hurtful to some good people.

NOTE: I have heard NOTHING OFFICIAL about Paragould having a coaching change. (And I don't have any 'special' connections.) So, the whole premise of this thread may be wrong.

2012 - Had Paragould won their last game, they would have gone to the PLAYOFFS. And it was a close game.

2014 - The Paragould coaching staff decided on a change in tactics; which led to more WINS. Paragould went 4-6, and was frustratingly close to beating Valley View and Batesville. More importantly, Paragould BEAT GCT!!!! (Cross-town rival; first win against GCT in about 5 years.)

2015 - Paragould lost a lot of seniors in 2014, so 2015 was going to be a tough year. Paragould beat GCT again, which was a great accomplishment for the coaches and the players.

Coaching is like cooking; no two people have the same tastes. It is very easy to find a reason to criticize a coach. But there HAS BEEN PROGRESS in the Paragould football program, and the Paragould coaches deserve a chance to reap the rewards of their efforts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in 2012, 2013, and 2014, Paragould had linemen that had a chance to play football at D1, D2, and NAIA colleges.

The job has been posted on the AAA job board and the Paragould School District's website.  This job is officially opened right??

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 23, 2016, 01:19:06 pm

The job has been posted on the AAA job board and the Paragould School District's website.  This job is officially opened right??

Sounds official.

OB11

I like to keep up with coaching changes in NEA and try to only post factual information on it.  Just wanting to make sure I wasn't mistaken. 

Lionheart88

Bravo.  It takes a big man to stand up and admit it when he was wrong.  It something most of us on this board (myself included) would do well to learn from.

hurricane 09

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 20, 2016, 08:56:12 pm

I think this job could be attractive to a younger coach.  If someone came in and had a little success with a program like this, it could boost his career big time.

Do you want a young coach still trying to figure things out and learning on the job?

hurricane 09

Or do you want a coach that's a great X and O's coach and more?

OB11

Quote from: hurricane 09 on January 23, 2016, 06:43:16 pm

Do you want a young coach still trying to figure things out and learning on the job?

I'm not from Paragould so I don't really care one way or the other.  I just think with a program like Paragould, there aren't a lot of expectations so a young coach could come in without as much pressure to win and try and change the culture.  And have some time to do it. 

There are definitely arguments to both, a young up and comer, or an experienced guy.  In my opinion a young energetic coach would be who I went with.  But, it's not up to me.

WTD

Quote from: hurricane 09 on January 23, 2016, 06:45:38 pm

Or do you want a coach that's a great X and O's coach and more?

So a younger coach can't be great at X's and O's? Walt Bell and Kendell Briles are in their early 30's and offensive coordinators at d1 programs Baylor being an offensive juggernaut. What exactly makes a coach young? A coach in their 20's?

Missco

I have heard that about places like Paragould and the likes my whole life. The school district has to change its mindset. Some schools in NEA don't want to pay what it takes to win in football. Osceola was terrible when I was growing up. They gave the kitchen sink to Gore and he won. Paragould could win but it would take commitment from everyone.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: purpleswag on January 22, 2016, 09:14:09 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 22, 2016, 06:39:31 am

I'm not sure that he was saying they couldn't "hack it." Just that they aren't "players." Meaning if they would rather do something else they probably aren't going to put the work in that's required
If they are "band" guys they most likely aren't passionate football players.  Hard to win with athletes that are more interested in something other than playing football.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: mrkingark on January 22, 2016, 01:44:44 pm

I'm seeing why Paragould may not be winning.

nuttinbuthogs

A good young coach may not be the answer.  How about just a good coach with a plan that takes into account the type of athletes, the availability of skill players and linemen.  The support from the community and administration and how he is going to fit the program and the kids together.   I bet the spread would fix everything.   

UncleRico

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 24, 2016, 03:21:57 pm
Aren't hey

A good young coach may not be the answer.  How about just a good coach with a plan that takes into account the type of athletes, the availability of skill players and linemen.  The support from the community and administration and how he is going to fit the program and the kids together.   I bet the spread would fix everything.
Aren't they already a spread team?

nuttinbuthogs

Ok, to clarify.  I was being sarcastic.   That's why I said the coach has to fit the kids and the program to each other.  The spread is not always the answer.

UncleRico

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 24, 2016, 03:53:11 pm
Ok, to clarify.  I was being sarcastic.   That's why I said the coach has to fit the kids and the program to each other.  The spread is not always the answer.
I almost thought to ask if that was sarcasm

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas