• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Hill to VILONIA

Started by ViloniaEaglestoWMS, December 05, 2015, 07:36:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ViloniaEaglestoWMS

December 05, 2015, 07:36:34 am Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:38:55 am by ViloniaEaglestoWMS
Why not? 

He applies and interviews for every other job out there.

oh yeah, GO YOU ESGLES GO

TAKIN IT TO THE ROCK NEXT YEAR

woooooooooooooo

purpleswag

I don't understand why he would though?

the voice

His daughter is going to graduate from Wynne, that's one big reason. Plus the fact he has a great situation if he returns, one more thing , lol
He runs flex bone offense now and not sure Vilonia would want running game again.

walkingguy72396

Guess there are reasons why he would leave.

Move closer to where his daughter intends to study at.

How-ever the only real reason to leave Wynne to go coach at another 5A school in Arkansas is Mosquitoes.

sevenof400

Why would Vilonia be perceived as a better job than Wynne? 

(Serious question.)

the voice

I don't know that anyone said it is or isn't. 

There are positive and negative in every job including Wynne,

sevenof400

I should have said that question was meant more for the OP.....I think I'm still confused as to what (or who) the ESGLES are (were)...

On a more useful note, Vilonia has a set of challenges perhaps unique in this state.  When your district is bounded by 2 other 5A schools, a 7A school, has little business presence in town, has the smallest city population of any 5A city, and outdated facilities those are some serious obstacles to overcome. 

the voice

Completely agree on those points

Fballfan05

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2015, 10:09:41 am
I should have said that question was meant more for the OP.....I think I'm still confused as to what (or who) the ESGLES are (were)...

On a more useful note, Vilonia has a set of challenges perhaps unique in this state.  When your district is bounded by 2 other 5A schools, a 7A school, has little business presence in town, has the smallest city population of any 5A city, and outdated facilities those are some serious obstacles to overcome.
Morrilton faces some of those same problems and they don't let that stop them.

Bondfan4ever

There are advantages as far as Vilonia goes.  Yes, they are a small town, but they are in the top 10 as far as fastest growing towns in Arkansas.  Not only is Vilonia growing, but Faulkner County is growing in general.  The new US 64 bypass may help as far as future business growth and Vilonia Schools has an excellent reputation. 

purpleswag

So who else has applied? There has to be some names floating around besides hill

sevenof400

Quote from: Fballfan05 on December 05, 2015, 10:52:05 am

That's somewhat my point though Fballfan05 - I don't know of any other 5A school that faces ALL of these obstacles.
To be fair, every school faces obstacles as they attempt to pursue success.  Morrilton does have a better (larger) business presence, and is not surrounded by the same size (or larger) schools on all of its borders.

However, as pretty much the only public school for South Conway County, I suspect (and please correct me if this is wrong), a good number of your students (and players) likely have to commute from some considerable distances. 

No school is without obstacles to address, but it does seem like a few schools have more factors working against them than others.   

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

My sources say he did not apply. That was before Thanksgiving, but after they stopped accepting applications. I'm not saying he hasn't applied, but he did not officially apply before they closed the apps.

sevenof400

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on December 05, 2015, 11:39:25 am
There are advantages as far as Vilonia goes.  Yes, they are a small town, but they are in the top 10 as far as fastest growing towns in Arkansas.  Not only is Vilonia growing, but Faulkner County is growing in general.  The new US 64 bypass may help as far as future business growth and Vilonia Schools has an excellent reputation.

I hope you're right about this because this town has been stagnant (business wise) for far too long.  Of course, two tornadoes haven't helped the cause either...

Fballfan05

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2015, 12:04:39 pm
Quote from: Fballfan05 on December 05, 2015, 10:52:05 am

That's somewhat my point though Fballfan05 - I don't know of any other 5A school that faces ALL of these obstacles.
To be fair, every school faces obstacles as they attempt to pursue success.  Morrilton does have a better (larger) business presence, and is not surrounded by the same size (or larger) schools on all of its borders.

However, as pretty much the only public school for South Conway County, I suspect (and please correct me if this is wrong), a good number of your students (and players) likely have to commute from some considerable distances. 

No school is without obstacles to address, but it does seem like a few schools have more factors working against them than others.
yes you are correct many of the students who go to Morrilton don't actually live in the city of Morrilton. And Morrilton might be smaller than vilonia, Motown's population is 6,500 and has the smallest enrollment of any 5a public school.

sevenof400

I do know the population of Vilonia was 3,815 according to the 2010 Census but there are a good number of areas just outside the city borders where a sizable number of houses are located in proximity to each other.  Vilonia is definitely a bedroom community...

purpleswag

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on December 05, 2015, 12:05:54 pm
My sources say he did not apply. That was before Thanksgiving, but after they stopped accepting applications. I'm not saying he hasn't applied, but he did not officially apply before they closed the apps.

Well that ends that speculation. Did your sources say who was/had applied?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: purpleswag on December 05, 2015, 01:28:32 pm
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on December 05, 2015, 12:05:54 pm

Well that ends that speculation. Did your sources say who was/had applied?
Maybe, but it's not my place to post anything for either Vilonia or for the coaches that applied.

sevenof400

Coach, let me ask you this - can you saw how many applied?  I'd be curious about this number as a gauge of interest.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: ViloniaEaglestoWMS on December 05, 2015, 07:36:34 am
Why not? 

woooooooooooooo

I knew Vilonia was getting a new coach. I didn't know they were also getting a new mascot.

sevenof400

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on December 05, 2015, 03:19:26 pm
Quote from: ViloniaEaglestoWMS on December 05, 2015, 07:36:34 am
Why not? 

woooooooooooooo

I knew Vilonia was getting a new coach. I didn't know they were also getting a new mascot.

Let's see how Go Postal handles this one in his videos!

InYoGrill

Yes 7, we are handicapped in many ways. We have by far the smallest # of businesses in our conference. Not even close. I know this for a fact. I work with several of the area chambers. Yes, we are sandwiched between two of the largest 7A schools in the state- Conway and Cabot, plus BB and GB all border our school lines. WE have very outdated facilities. Our field house /indoor room is in terrible condition. An V is easily the smallest population in our conference. I guess the allurement is the peaceful area and outstanding school reputation.

sevenof400

To keep this thought going, there really aren't any short term solutions to this issue.  As has been noted, our population is growing so it is unlikely we will drop in classification.  Whoever becomes the next coach at Vilonia will have a monumental task in front of them on terms of improvement on many fronts.

It can be done, but it will take time and patience.  The next coach will need to find a way to increase participation numbers starting at pee wee and continuing through the older groups.  I've been surprised over the years at.the number of students who play NO sport - let alone football.  If that number alone could be increased, that would be a great start.

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2015, 09:53:49 pm
To keep this thought going, there really aren't any short term solutions to this issue.  As has been noted, our population is growing so it is unlikely we will drop in classification.  Whoever becomes the next coach at Vilonia will have a monumental task in front of them on terms of improvement on many fronts.

It can be done, but it will take time and patience.  The next coach will need to find a way to increase participation numbers starting at pee wee and continuing through the older groups.  I've been surprised over the years at.the number of students who play NO sport - let alone football.  If that number alone could be increased, that would be a great start.

Right on 7. I saw where our youth teams the past couple years played towns like Morrilton, GB, Heber, Clinton, and so on. We usually have about 25-30 kids for our red and white teams for each grade 4-6th. If I remember right we won more championships in the past couple years than any team in our conference. I believe the youth coaches are wanting to switch to a different league. Not sure if that would include Conway youth teams or maybe even Cabot. Remains to be seen if the switch happens by next season.

But you are right as far as short term solutions. I don't see anything changing soon. I heard the coaching application window closed jus recently. Remains to be seen who Sellers has his eye on???

minerjack

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 05, 2015, 09:29:05 pm

Yes 7, we are handicapped in many ways. We have by far the smallest # of businesses in our conference. Not even close. I know this for a fact. I work with several of the area chambers. Yes, we are sandwiched between two of the largest 7A schools in the state- Conway and Cabot, plus BB and GB all border our school lines. WE have very outdated facilities. Our field house /indoor room is in terrible condition. An V is easily the smallest population in our conference. I guess the allurement is the peaceful area and outstanding school reputation.
Sounds like a Brad Bolding rant. The "there aren't enough businesses in this town to be successful" is one I haven't heard before, though.

Pat Swilling

tmycjy

Why would u want to go to Vilonia when u can stay at Wynne unless the money was a lot greater take a look at what happen Rony peacock

sevenof400

December 09, 2015, 09:48:38 am #27 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:51:14 am by sevenof400
Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 08, 2015, 11:22:34 pm
Sounds like a Brad Bolding rant. The "there aren't enough businesses in this town to be successful" is one I haven't heard before, though.

I don't understand the Brad Bolding angle, but the lack of significant business presence in a town does make it harder to raise tax revenue.  Most of Vilonia's spending currently goes to Conway and/or Cabot.  Significant physical improvements require higher millage and / or businesses willing to step up and support their locah school system.  Vilonia's tax rate is high enough already so we need more businesses in the area.

Miner, have you actually been to Vilonia? 

minerjack

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2015, 09:48:38 am
Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 08, 2015, 11:22:34 pm

I don't understand the Brad Bolding angle, but the lack of significant business presence in a town does make it harder to raise tax revenue.  Most of Vilonia's spending currently goes to Conway and/or Cabot.  Significant physical improvements require higher millage and / or businesses willing to step up and support their locah school system.  Vilonia's tax rate is high enough already so we need more businesses in the area.

Brad Bolding gave several indirect reasons they were losing. Lack of businesses in a town is an indirect reason.

sevenof400

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 09, 2015, 01:33:46 pm
Brad Bolding gave several indirect reasons they were losing. Lack of businesses in a town is an indirect reason.

Indirect perhaps, but still a significant factor in determining a school's resources (or lack of resources) wouldn't you say? 

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2015, 01:42:19 pm

Indirect perhaps, but still a significant factor in determining a school's resources (or lack of resources) wouldn't you say? 

I think a community like Vilonia, it would be very significant.  North Little Rock, not so much.  There are tons of businesses in NLR.  Not that he (Bolding) said that, but I think the initial statement isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

InYoGrill

I still have the surveillance on the coach search. Nothing I've heard so far...

Wonderdog

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 09, 2015, 01:42:19 pm

It is a significant factor, despite what minerjack may think. A community's economy plays a huge roll. Some small schools face these issues. Communities for example, that employ a large amount of teachers who commute. All of those teachers draw their checks from that community/county and spend it in another community/county. Makes for an unbalanced economical input/output. Therefore, hurts the school system in the long run.

minerjack

I grew up in a community that had nothing but a post office and a school.  And was very successful at football.  It's going to be hard to convince me that businesses in a town are a primary reason for a school's success.

Lionheart88

I don't think anyone's said it's a primary, but it can certainly be a contributing factor.

minerjack

I would think a "handicap" is a primary reason. Even if it's not, they're trying to make it come across as a primary reason.

purpleswag

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 09, 2015, 09:48:03 pm

Should be getting close to an announcement huh? Been down for a while

Wonderdog

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 10, 2015, 08:13:26 am
I grew up in a community that had nothing but a post office and a school.  And was very successful at football.  It's going to be hard to convince me that businesses in a town are a primary reason for a school's success.
Perhaps I sent the wrong message. My point was not directly specific to a football program, but to the school system instead. Now, funds and other economical issues within a football program do fall under my point. Athletes and coaching was not what I was intending to address.

sevenof400

I'm asking that again in case you missed it earlier but also to mention this - of the 32 5A schools in this state, I've probably been to about 3/4 of them over the years.  With Vilonia having sports teams in the East and West over the last few seasons and a good number of OOC games against opponents in the Central (with a smaller number against teams from the South), I've driven through / been to that many cities in the 5A.

I have yet to find ANY 5A city with such a small official city population and so little business presence.  I know there are a good number of 4A schools (and perhaps even a few 3A schools) that have larger populations and business presence than Vilonia.  If a person were to be placed in Vilonia and asked to make a guess on what classification they thought the school was based on what they see in town and the school buildings, they might easily guess 3A. 

The point here is not to make excuses but rather to paint an accurate description of the challenge(s) Vilonia faces - which I think are unique in the 5A classification.  To be clear here, none of this is anyone's fault outside of Vilonia but whoever is the next coach at Vilonia will need to figure out how to work within this environment to revitalize the school (and the community) with respect to its football program given the limits noted above. 

Vilonia has been the very definition of a bedroom community over the years and until the city can increase the business presence in or near the city, much needed facility improvements will likely be very slow in coming.  That won't help the next football coach in their quest to improve the football fortunes of this school. 

InYoGrill

Quote from: purpleswag on December 10, 2015, 12:47:47 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on December 09, 2015, 09:48:03 pm

Should be getting close to an announcement huh? Been down for a while

A very successful head coach at a smaller school who I know very well (and was interested in the V position)told me he saw where the job announcement was closed a week or two ago. We both found it a little odd that it wasn't closed until the end of the season (championship games) unless a candidate or 2 has  gauged serious interest in the program and the AD feels good about a hire announcement soon ???

Baitshop

DixiePrep predicts another "big school" coach makes a move to a lower classification....

Look for the announcement before Christmas break...

sevenof400

Quote from: Baitshop on December 13, 2015, 11:01:56 am
DixiePrep predicts another "big school" coach makes a move to a lower classification....

Rick Jones to Vilonia?

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2015, 07:44:48 am

I'm asking that again in case you missed it earlier but also to mention this - of the 32 5A schools in this state, I've probably been to about 3/4 of them over the years.  With Vilonia having sports teams in the East and West over the last few seasons and a good number of OOC games against opponents in the Central (with a smaller number against teams from the South), I've driven through / been to that many cities in the 5A.

I have yet to find ANY 5A city with such a small official city population and so little business presence.  I know there are a good number of 4A schools (and perhaps even a few 3A schools) that have larger populations and business presence than Vilonia.  If a person were to be placed in Vilonia and asked to make a guess on what classification they thought the school was based on what they see in town and the school buildings, they might easily guess 3A. 

The point here is not to make excuses but rather to paint an accurate description of the challenge(s) Vilonia faces - which I think are unique in the 5A classification.  To be clear here, none of this is anyone's fault outside of Vilonia but whoever is the next coach at Vilonia will need to figure out how to work within this environment to revitalize the school (and the community) with respect to its football program given the limits noted above. 

Vilonia has been the very definition of a bedroom community over the years and until the city can increase the business presence in or near the city, much needed facility improvements will likely be very slow in coming.  That won't help the next football coach in their quest to improve the football fortunes of this school.

Couldn't have said it better myself 7. I don't know of many towns at all down to the 4 and 3A level that do not have at least a small "down town" landscape at all except V. V is truly a "residential community" out in the middle of no where unless you want to visit BB, Cabot, or Conway depending on your direction. What little presence we had was even more ruined by the last tornado as it wiped out the very few businesses we had on the north side of 64 and of the only two shopping centers we had. And oh the main car wash was took out and our main parts store (O'Reilly's) which did not come back.  We have 5 places to eat, a DG, Freds, 3 gas stations, one car wash, and one stop light (2 if you count the bypass light). Unless you have a family of kids and looking for a good quiet school system to raise them then I don't see many highly qualified coaches coming here. But if (HUGE IF) V can add many more employers and grow the tax base then increased school funding if approved would be able to upgrade the facilities for start. To be competitive for 5A ball, I feel we need a new field house and indoor practice facility. And that takes a lot of $$$ which V doesn't have currently.  Not many employers around to donate other than the few that have been tapped out, LOL! Half of our donors for the turf field ( 5 years ago installed, Centennial Bank donated half and the other local donors ponied up the other) had SR's that just finished their football careers at V. I know all of the donors personally so not sure if the current big donor $ will continue after this season.  On a positive note the Vilonia Booster Club is growing and doing some really great things with the football program. Again, those that have led it since it began last year have most of their kids graduating this year.

Baitshop

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2015, 11:41:25 am

Rick Jones to Vilonia?

Nope, 7A guy...

InYoGrill

BS stop baitin us.  :)

Bolding???

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on December 13, 2015, 12:11:56 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2015, 11:41:25 am

Rick Jones to Vilonia?

Nope, 7A guy...

Jeff Williams is my guess.

sevenof400

I'll say this again - no way Vilonia hires a coach with any hint of financial shenanigans associated with him given past issues. 

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2015, 12:32:56 pm
I'll say this again - no way Vilonia hires a coach with any hint of financial shenanigans associated with him given past issues.

Oh, the gate keepers for ex?

sevenof400

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 13, 2015, 12:38:17 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2015, 12:32:56 pm

Oh, the gate keepers for ex?

Yes.  This hire has to be financially and ethically clean. 

ProudMary

Lots of fans attend Vilonia fb games just to watch the band perform!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas