• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talented Players

Started by asanchez, May 07, 2009, 08:57:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SirSoccer

CBC... c'mon. 
UCA, JBU, OBU best teams in the state, not sure who would beat who in a game that really mattered.

sevenof400

Quote from: SirSoccer on April 05, 2011, 03:01:37 pm
CBC... c'mon. 
UCA, JBU, OBU best teams in the state, not sure who would beat who in a game that really mattered.

I agree SirSoccer in a heads up match that CBC would most likely not win but you do have to give CBC their due for their accomplishments in making and advancing in their national tournament the past few years.  That's all I'm saying. 

I'd still like to see all the Arkansas college soccer programs in a beginning of the year tournament though....

offside

April 05, 2011, 05:31:05 pm #152 Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:52:08 pm by offside
I'm certain any Arkansas college team could beat another Arkansas college team but I believe if all teams played each other ten times UCA and Hendrix would likely dominate the other schools.

However because NAIA schools have some unique opportunities to help pay scholarships for student athletes there are some NAIA schools that have put together some amazing college teams.  Some NAIA squads around the United States are loaded with students who come from counties where soccer is the dominant sport and it makes a difference.   

I believe Hastings (NAIA) played Creighton (NCAA Div 1) in a preseason game last year.  Both teams are top 10 soccer programs in their divisions.  Creighton won 2-1. 

Pound for Pound the top NCAA D-1 programs will produce the most future MLS players or players that play in pro leagues in other countries.  But there are several former NAIA soccer players earning a paycheck in Major League Soccer.

SirSoccer

Hendrix isn't very good, not sure why you think they would be up there... They wouldn't compete with OBU or JBU

offside

SirSoccer, I think you are correct.  Looking at OBU and JBU's records they certainly appear they could be better than Hendrix.  And frankly I may be putting too much stock in UCA's DIV 1 status.  OBU and JBU may be too much for UCA's current team. 

Next time I will think before I post  :)

Sir Alex

I heard a rumor UAFS will be starting a women's team in the next couple years....  Anyone know if there is some truth to that?

SirSoccer

No idea, that would be very interesting though

Make The Difference

Quote from: Futbalaholic on April 05, 2011, 02:44:58 pm
Any more word on William Hidalgo signing? Excited that he may play for the Billikens next year but no word about him from SLU.

Officially going to be playing there next year. ESPN Rise is updated as well.

PressBox-81

Quote from: SirSoccer on April 05, 2011, 07:03:45 pm
Hendrix isn't very good, not sure why you think they would be up there... They wouldn't compete with OBU or JBU

I know this is your opinion but you might want to check the records this past fall as I do believe that Hendrix and OBU played and the winner was Hendrix.

SirSoccer

April 08, 2011, 10:48:02 pm #159 Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:59:04 pm by SirSoccer
Yeah, I heard about that game from some friends are hendrix and obu
Hendrix and OBU played a scrimmage, Hendrix scored on OBUs reserve team.  We all know a preseason game is meant to get playing time to players, not to win, its a developmental game.  If OBU played their starting team against hendrix it would probably be something close to a 3 or 4 goal victory for OBU.

I went and looked to compare common teams (honestly, just watch both teams and it is easy to see)

Letourneau, hendrix lost 2-1, obu won 3-1
Harding, hendrix lost 1-0 obu won twice - 4-1, 2-0

obu has a +3 v LeTourneau
obu has a +4 or +3 v Harding

chs soccer

your trying to win every game you play sirsoccer even if its a preseason game.  In college the spring season is more for developement not the preseason.  Also, hendrix beat harding atleast 4-0 on saturday

SirSoccer

Nah, not really the case, in the preseason you are testing your players, seeing who works together, getting playing time for players that won't play as much, same as spring.

Then you talk about saturdays game against harding like that mattered as well.  Harding beat them in regular season, thats better than spring for sure.

seriously, just look at hendrix's schedule, they can't compete with the top few teams in arkansas.
its simple to see that JBU OBU and UCA are the better teams in the state.

chs soccer

if you ask any college coach.. they will tell you spring season is huge. this is where the teams try and eliminate bad parts of their games to improve for the fall.. atleasts thats how uca looks at their spring season.

SirSoccer

DI spring is much different than any other divisions spring games.   

Chosen 1

Quote from: chs soccer on April 11, 2011, 11:19:12 am
if you ask any college coach.. they will tell you spring season is huge. this is where the teams try and eliminate bad parts of their games to improve for the fall.. atleasts thats how uca looks at their spring season.
Not as huge as the actual season. Yeah they're trying to improve, but they are also trying to develop reserve players and improve certain aspects of their game.

Panama

chs soccer

With Hidalgo now signing with Saint Louis does this make him the best player to come out of the state in recent years?

SirSoccer

Hotsauce

Quote from: chs soccer on April 14, 2011, 11:10:15 pm
With Hidalgo now signing with Saint Louis does this make him the best player to come out of the state in recent years?
Definitely one of the best.

offside

Is William the best player to come out of Arkansas.  Is he the best player in Arkansas right now?
This is a highly relative question.  No doubt William is a highly technical player with great speed and a powerful shot.  He is certainly one of the best.  He commands a lot of attention.  However there may be a defender in the state that is pound for pound the best player.  Or maybe a keeper.  Or another player at another position...   

SLU has a great soccer history but it has not been a legit top 20 program for several years.   I believe SLU's rare appearances in the top 20 in recent years has been aided by SLU's legacy.  But now the school is at a point in history where it will have to earn their place among the top 20.  Here's a link to the last college rankings for all Divisions:  http://nscaa.com/cr.php

I hope SLU can return to a legit top 20 consistency and I hope William can help his new college team return to greatness.

There have been other players from Arkansas that have been recruited and/or played at higher ranked college programs.  Does it mean they were/are better than William.  No, not necessarily.

It's relative to the role they played on their teams in high school/club, college, and hopefully at the pro level.  It would be cool if an Arkansas player ended up on an MLS roster in the next few years. 

Chosen 1

I think we get the point about Hildalgo.

Let's here about some other Talented players that are getting next level looks.

LRfan

ESPN Rise shows Kyle Moore from Vilonia signing with UCA and Will Hidalgo from Cabot with Saint Louis U(unconfirmed by school) at DI level.

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-soccer/articles/Honors/verbal-commitment-list/2011-Boys-Soccer-Verbal-Commitments.aspx

It shows Ben Bartnicke from Catholic signing with Missouri S & T at DII level.

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-soccer/articles/Honors/verbal-commitment-list/2011-Division-II.aspx

I did not see any DIII  boys commitments from Arkansas, but many schools (like Hendrix) are not listed on the ESPN Rise website. Surely there are more boys from Arkansas who will play college soccer. Like someone said earlier, you almost have to go to the website of individual schools to find out a more complete list of signees, but even then, due to late commitments, this may be incomplete. Some people may know by word of mouth, however.

pioneer#21

LRfan

pioneer#21, is number 10 from Gentry going to play in college somewhere?

pioneer#21

Yeah im pretty sure but i cant remember the name of the school at this moment

SirSoccer

still no confirmation on hidalgo signing by SLU... maybe he is just walking on?

Sportsaholic94

there have been newspaper articles regarding it and check ESPN rise soccer D1 commitments... william is on there

sevenof400

Quote from: Sportsaholic94 on May 08, 2011, 10:30:44 am
there have been newspaper articles regarding it and check ESPN rise soccer D1 commitments... william is on there

...but not confirmed (yet) by the school (that's what the asterisk refers to by the name of the athlete).  To be fair, there are many athletes listed on this page without the asterisk so William is not alone in this regard.  Hopefiully, everything is working out for William to attend St. Louis and the SID will get on the ball soon.   

Go Postal

There is a lot of players in this great State of ours that do not get mentioned in the paper due to other sports.  I think that the Harrison girls in the 5A West have done a fantastic job with their 10-0 record, (all players are great) but one comes to mind is Paige Sanders, left forward, but can play any position.  I think that she started out in youth soccer and become a 4 year starter in high school with great ball control and speed.  Amazing athlete as are all the Lady Goblins.  I wish that they could play on the USA Womens Team.

sevenof400

Go Postal,

Do you know if any of the Harrison girls are looking to play soccer in college?

SirSoccer

Quote from: Go Postal on May 08, 2011, 12:39:00 pm
I wish that they could play on the USA Womens Team.

lol

hogbert

add my lol to his lol.

Chosen 1

Sportsaholic94

Quote from: Chosen 1 link=topic=92525.msg2404564#msg2404564 date=1304888172
/quote]Triple that and count me in.

count me in.. lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas