• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis Ridgeway @ Pulaski Academy

Started by Maynard G Krebs, September 04, 2017, 10:47:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

September 06, 2017, 08:41:19 pm #50 Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:09:29 pm by JessieP
Quote from: PA Dad on September 06, 2017, 08:19:03 pm
I haven't seen nearly enough of the top teams play to give an informed opinion.  There are certainly some great teams in California and Florida.

I watched Lake Travis play Luyon (I'm not sure of that spelling) last weekend.  I don't think there's a team in Arkansas that could beat either team.  So, even if Texas doesn't have the best football in the nation they still have some dang good teams.

Make no mistake, Texas plays some serious high school football. And yes, the irony is not lost on me that I'm having to defend PA. I just hate when people attach the generic "well, it's not as good as Texas". Like Texas is in a league of it's own, they are great but Florida and California are every bit as good if not better. Texas may have the most but not always the best, any state would match up closely with the best of Texas. Over the past 25 years teams from other states have been ranked higher. The Texas cult talks about schools with student enrollments of 2,500 or more beating PA. Well I would hope so, if not then the coaches at PA are the greatest of all time. If you have a few thousand to draw from then the 80 you put on the field are gonna be pretty dang good. I'd like someone singing the Texas praises to name me a Texas team with an enrollment of 350 that would beat PA. I doubt they could. I guess I'm really just defending Arkansas. Now would PA beat Bishop Gorman or De La Salle? of course not. They probably get mercy ruled. But that's not exactly apples to apples now is it? So again, I'll issue the challenge, name me a Texas school with an equal enrollment that can beat PA, that right there shoots the "Texas is in a league on their own" out of the water.

PA Dad

That's a great argument and one I agree with.  PA could probably beat any Texas team with a similar enrollment.  In fact, I'll go further and say that Batesville, Wynne, and many other Arkansas teams would beat most Texas teams with similar enrollments.  I think it's only at the very top that Texas teams have an advantage over Arkansas.

PA Dad

Quote from: Austin.Sutton on September 06, 2017, 11:31:16 am
Hootens says the game will be on ESPN. Can anyone confirm?

Not this week.  It's next week on ESPNU at 9:00.

Maynard G Krebs

Best Memphis BBQ for the Roadrunners tailgate:  Corkey's, Commissary, or Rendezvous?

Texas BBQ cannot be in this conversation as it is mostly beef

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 03:49:52 pm
These threads do seem to wander but in all fairness Maynard how much can you expound on Memphis Ridgeway? they are Tennessee's GCT. I think the PA JV's may be winded in the 2nd quarter. You guy's didn't exactly schedule a powerhouse. Sometimes we hear "out-of-state" and the game seems more interesting. Cedar Ridge, a 3A near Batesville, had a game 2 weeks ago against a team from Alabama. CR is a very average team in the 3A and they destroyed the Alabama team something like 57-14. BREAKING NEWS! other states have some pretty bad teams. So if you want more interesting conversation wait until you have a real game coming up. My actual thoughts on this game? if PA's defense walks off the field MR will score in the next 3 or 4 plays.
If any part of PA's team walks on the field it will be a very bad day for them, haha.  Up downs may not even wait until practice on Monday.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 04, 2017, 10:47:47 am
Don't know anything about this Memphis team other than they are winless..  What is expected?

They have a couple big linemen.  They will run a lot of I formation with some option and play action.  Don't know much else.

Overdahill

September 07, 2017, 06:56:36 am #56 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:00:19 am by Overdahill
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 06, 2017, 09:15:03 pm
Best Memphis BBQ for the Roadrunners tailgate:  Corkey's, Commissary, or Rendezvous?

I like Central BBQ  :) (but it is in Memphis)

Maynard G Krebs

businesstron

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 06:54:34 pm
That's a spreadsheet that someone made. I can make one myself that shows GCT number 1. The link to the most recent Max Preps rankings has been linked here. Take a look at this, but sit down first, it may burst your bubble a bit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

That spread sheet contains the maxprep poll plus 5 or 6 other polls and why are you linking to a wikipedia page?   You keep bring up maxpreps but the Maxpreps poll now has 4 texas teams in the top 25.  Here a DIRECT link to that below.

http://www.maxpreps.com/video/watch.aspx?videoid=58b1c28b-c9b3-4abc-a9d0-9c3209f6f0b2

Here another direct link..

http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/football/xcellent25.htm

JessieP

Quote from: businesstron on September 07, 2017, 08:44:06 am
That spread sheet contains the maxprep poll plus 5 or 6 other polls and why are you linking to a wikipedia page?   You keep bring up maxpreps but the Maxpreps poll now has 4 texas teams in the top 25.  Here a DIRECT link to that below.

http://www.maxpreps.com/video/watch.aspx?videoid=58b1c28b-c9b3-4abc-a9d0-9c3209f6f0b2

Here another direct link..

http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/football/xcellent25.htm

Please please please stop referencing the Max Preps xcellent25. It's a fan poll. If you insist on using that poll as your baseline I'll start throwing in various booster club polls. You'd be quite surprised to see the rankings from the GCT Moms club. Not a single Texas, California or Florida team on it, GCT has moved to number 1 in the Nation. The xcellent25, geez. One team on that list got a ton of votes because the qb at Katy got a new haircut, he looks like an athletic Justin Bieber, but with a cool yin/yang tat.

WTD

Memphis BBQ Company, it's in Southaven though... about 10 minutes out of the way. If you've never ate at Rendezvous that would be my next choice then Central BBQ.

businesstron

Quote from: JessieP on September 07, 2017, 09:16:35 am
Please please please stop referencing the Max Preps xcellent25. It's a fan poll. If you insist on using that poll as your baseline I'll start throwing in various booster club polls. You'd be quite surprised to see the rankings from the GCT Moms club. Not a single Texas, California or Florida team on it, GCT has moved to number 1 in the Nation. The xcellent25, geez. One team on that list got a ton of votes because the qb at Katy got a new haircut, he looks like an athletic Justin Bieber, but with a cool yin/yang tat.

THe xcellent isn't based off of votes.   I'm not sure what obscure poll your clinging too but most polls have about 3 or 4 Texas teams in the top 25.  That like 6 or 7 different polls.  The only ranking that may not have are computer based and that would make sense because Texas has only played one game so far this.

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/national-media-poll/

http://therealprepnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/week-3-prepnation-national-prep.html

Nobody cares about booster club polls.  You may not like Texas football but bow down.  You can't dispute facts. 

Yellowcake

Spot on. It's brisket, which isn't even BBQ, in my book.

Yellowcake

As for Texas HS football, it is outstanding. I have attended at least 15 state championship games over the years, from the smallest to the largest classifications. Comparing Allen to PA is kind of dumb. allen has more kids in the band then PA has in its entire high school.

That said, PA has cleaned Allen's clock in 7 on 7 over the years at the Shootout of the South. That's admittedly different and not reflective of a Friday night game, but PA is respected by Allen. Just ask them.

As for Ridgeway, PA will mercy rule them. I am out of town and missing running the chains for the first home game, but will be back next week for the TV game. Should be exciting for a little subpar non-Texas high school team to play on ESPN. I guess those who don't go will have to drive to Texas to find a TV to watch it on. You know, because we aren't Texans and don'"t all have televisions.

Hope everyone has fun getting out and supporting your team tonight!

PA Dad

The defense is getting no pressure on Hatcher.  PA scored easily on the first drive.

PA Dad

PA has scored on every possession and leads 21-6.  The PA secondary gave up a long TD pass.

PA Dad

PA has scored on every possession and leads 35/6 at 6:22 in the 2d quarter.

Maynard G Krebs

Maynard G Krebs

PA Dad

It looks like we have a couple of sophomores coming on strong at running back.  But I'm still worried about the secondary.  They have not looked good against the pass.

PA Dad

PA leads 49-6 with 1:29 left in the half.

Overdahill

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on September 08, 2017, 08:10:09 pm
Might take until next week to tell for certain

I think you're right.  It's hard to take much from this game.

Maynard G Krebs

Hats off to Ridgeway.  Played hard and clean til the end of game

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas