• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, January 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dc24

Quote from: RHS on February 19, 2009, 11:23:26 pm
It's where he belongs. I understood Cincy since he was going to be close to his father. Atlanta would have made no sense.

Atlanta's spring training site is in Orlando, which is where he lives.  Also, Atlanta is only an hour flight from there.  The only reason he considered them was because of his family and that he likes Bobby Cox.  Apparently the thing that sealed the deal was a conversation that Willie Mays had with him that was set up by Harold Reynolds.

RHS

Wonder what was said in that conversation. He'd look weird in a Braves uni.

msubulldogs21

Dodgers sign the O-Dawg Orlando Hudson 1/3.8M deal.

Twins sign Joe Crede 1/2.5M deal. I like both of these moves.

AB™

My dad just told me about the Crede deal earlier.  Of course he signs with another team this year.  Because last year I drafted Josh Fields, expecting him to start at 3B, and Crede to DH.  Every magazine I read, and everything I read online, said Fields was the probably starting 3B this year, because he came along during the second half of the 2007 season and put up good numbers.  Instead, he spends all of the 2008 season playing minor league ball.  I'm in a fantasy league where you aren't allowed to make any transactions.  So I'm stuck with my starting 3B in the minors, along with my starting catcher spending part of the season in the minors.  That was just enough to keep me out of the top three and finish in the money.  Scary thing is, the rest of my team was good enough, that I floated between 2nd and 4th all year long.

bulldogs1159

Spring Training starts today. So far it has been exciting for me as my cousin threw a scorless 4th inning against the Cardinals today in Jupiter.

SMC

bulldogs1159

Quote from: SMC on February 25, 2009, 01:40:48 pm
Did he punch anyone out?
Negative. Chris Duncan got a hit then Uggla made an error Greene got on. He then got LaRue and Mather to ground out and Skip flew out to left.

SMC

Is Duncan going to be starting this year for STL? I know he got sent down at one point last year.

jbell96

Quote from: SMC on February 25, 2009, 02:16:33 pm
Is Duncan going to be starting this year for STL? I know he got sent down at one point last year.

He was having major neck problems last year, but he had surgery near the end of the season, to put a titanium disk in his neck to alleviate the pain. He'll probably platoon in the outfield.

bulldogs1159

Its probably going to be Rasmus, Ankiel, and Ludwick with Duncan as the backup.

Ty

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on February 26, 2009, 12:49:16 am
Depends on if Ludwick continues to be an All-Star Caliber player.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Ty on February 26, 2009, 02:19:46 am
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on February 26, 2009, 12:49:16 am
Depends on if Ludwick continues to be an All-Star Caliber player.
Ludwick is a lock as a starter.

SMC

Ludwick can mash. If La Russa doesn't start him and hit him cleanup all year then he's lost the plot.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: SMC on February 26, 2009, 10:07:19 am
Ludwick can mash. If La Russa doesn't start him and hit him cleanup all year then he's lost the plot.
He had to fight the last two years tooth and nail to stay in the lineup even after hitting huge HR after huge HR. La Russa just freakn loves those old vet players that are going to hit a whopping .150 (Russel Branyon I'm looking at you)

SMC

La Russa probably hates Ludwick because he can't play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and bullpen catcher.

I am so surprised that he let Miles leave and sign with the Cubs. I always thought La Russa would sign 20 Aaron Mileses if he could.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: SMC on February 26, 2009, 02:07:45 pm
La Russa probably hates Ludwick because he can't play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and bullpen catcher.

I am so surprised that he let Miles leave and sign with the Cubs. I always thought La Russa would sign 20 Aaron Mileses if he could.
Miles was one of my favorites so it sucks to see him have to suffer in that uniform. I really respect what Tony has done for us but I cant stand most of what he does.

msubulldogs21

I'm beginning to wonder if Manny will ever sign with LAD.

Until he signs the Yankees are going to be in the back of my mind. I'm still afraid they're going to swoop in and get him.

jbell96

I'm losing more & more respect for Manny as each day passes.

AB™

If I were the Dodgers, I would just part ways with Manny, and let the door hit him and Boras on the way out. What more does he want?  Every other team has told him no. I think the longer this thing drags on the bigger player the Yankees become.

SMC

I wouldn't mind seeing Manny go back to the AL at all. Without him the Dodgers are not a legit contender in the playoffs anymore, and I would be down with that.

RHS

Everyone talks about how higher salaries in baseball (and other sports for that matter, but some have a cap) are due to owners spending money like it's going out of style, but it's because of agents like Boras and Rosenhaus. They sit there and pump their guy up so much and shop them around to make teams have to poney up more than they should (which is their job, to get the most for the player they can) but that is why salaries are out of control.

In 3 Nights in August, La Russa talks about the changing culture in baseball with how the clubhouse interacts and the rise of salaries and also talks about how he loves Pujols because he cares about the game more than the money (in his thought process anyway).

jbell96

Quote from: RHS on February 27, 2009, 09:37:30 pm
Everyone talks about how higher salaries in baseball (and other sports for that matter, but some have a cap) are due to owners spending money like it's going out of style, but it's because of agents like Boras and Rosenhaus. They sit there and pump their guy up so much and shop them around to make teams have to poney up more than they should (which is their job, to get the most for the player they can) but that is why salaries are out of control.

In 3 Nights in August, La Russa talks about the changing culture in baseball with how the clubhouse interacts and the rise of salaries and also talks about how he loves Pujols because he cares about the game more than the money (in his thought process anyway).

3 Nights In August is an awesome book. A friend got me the audio copy when I was deployed. It gave me a new found respect for the madness that goes on in La Russa's mind.

RHS

Yeah, even though they talk alot about what he does during a game and what goes through his mind, I'm not sure it was anywhere close to 100% of what he actually thinks about. He agonizes over EVERYTHING.

Buzz Bissinger is a great author of sports books. 3 Nights in August and Friday Night Lights are two of my favorites.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: SMC on February 27, 2009, 05:25:11 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing Manny go back to the AL at all. Without him the Dodgers are not a legit contender in the playoffs anymore, and I would be down with that.

That's alright, the AL is good enough. Lets just let Manny stay in the NL and call it a deal.

The Yankees are the only AL team he might sign with. If that happens I may lose my sanity.

AB™

I almost bought 3 Nights in August last week.  I'm guessing it's a good read?  I don't like the Cardinals but I still may have to read this one.

I'm finally into Moneyball.  I'm about halfway done with it right now.

RHS

Yeah, it's pretty good reading material.

SMC

Scott Hatteberg, Pickin Machine!

AB™

March 02, 2009, 05:59:12 pm #128 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:02:02 pm by AB™
Orlando Cabrera signed with the A's.  Oakland has made some nice offseason pickups.  They always compete with a roster that doesn't look great on paper to an average joe baseball fan, but they may have enough now to unseat the Angels atop the West this year.

msubulldogs21

I know my boy GWB has to be stoked for the A's upcoming season moreso than years past. They will be an exciting team.

msubulldogs21

Also, I got to catch about 30 minutes of this 2 hour documentary called "We Are Young: A Baseball Family" on MLB Network tonight. Did anyone else see this? It was about Dmitri and Delmon Young and their on and off the field troubles they ran into during the 2006 season. From what I saw, it was a REALLY good show. The next time it airs is sometime Sunday afternoon I believe. I'm recording it for then. I encourage everyone to check it out. It seriously was awesome. Plus, who doesn't love Da Meat Hook?

AB™

I'll have to set the DVR to record that.  I've been watching all the "30 Teams in 30 Days" episodes I have taped.  So far I've watched the Twins, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: AB™ on March 02, 2009, 11:21:15 pm
I've been watching all the "30 Teams in 30 Days" episodes I have taped.  So far I've watched the Twins, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves.

I've been watching a bunch of those too. Really good stuff.

You can't beat a channel that has Harold Reynolds on it every day.

RHS

I met a guy at the Hog game yesterday that designed a trivia question set for the Yankees. He was gonna do the Sox too but another guy got it.

msubulldogs21

Manny to the Dodgers per ESPN at 2/45.

RHS

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 03, 2009, 08:17:41 pm

Did they put their offer back on the table or was it a new offer?

Ty

Quote from: RHS on March 03, 2009, 08:49:52 pm
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 03, 2009, 08:17:41 pm

Did they put their offer back on the table or was it a new offer?
The offered 2/45 17 times.

jbell96

I am just glad I don't have to turn on Sportscenter and hear about this crap every five minutes.

msubulldogs21

Not so fast:

QuoteAgent Scott Boras has denied that any Manny Ramirez deal is in place with the Dodgers, and ESPN has retracted their initial report. Sort of. Enrique Rojas, who previously said it was agreed to, is now reporting that the two sides have "finally reached some common ground in their negotiations." That's ESPN speak for "we blew it, but we're going to do our best not to admit it." It's probably only a matter of time until something does get done here, and we'll trust SI.com's Jon Heyman, the unofficial mouthpiece of Boras Corp., to have the scoop.

RHS

I know on the radio last night they talked about how nobody from the Dodgers had confirmed it.

AB™

ESPN was confirming again this afternoon.  I'm assuming it is a done deal now.

msubulldogs21

jbell96

bulldogs1159

RHS

I've been reading Summer of 49.

Never knew Atkins sent a player to the pros, much less the Boston Red Sox.

msubulldogs21

The Twins made a really nice move today, locking up Scott Baker to a 4/15 contract. Good value at low cost.

Ty

La Russa got his LOOGY, in Denny Reyes. LHB only hit .202/.250/.287 off him last year.

msubulldogs21

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Jon Lester signs a 5 year $30M extension with the Red Sox.

So to recap the last few incredible extensions Theo has handed out this off-season:

Kevin Youkilis - 4/40
Dustin Pedroia - 6/40
Jon Lester - 5/30

So wait, you mean we can have Youk, Pedroia, AND Lester for the same price the Yankees are paying Teixeira? Why yes, yes we can.

bulldogs1159

My cousin threw another inning of scoreless baseball yesterday against the O's.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas