• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 11:44:42 am
The link posted above brings out, WE or somebody has to wonder if Arkansas has a winning culture? The fact that Wisconsin hasn't skipped a beat since losing BB and has never had a problem closing out games...kinda points to Arkansas not having a winning culture. BB is paid well to make us into one but right now there are more questions than answers concerning the football program.

Wisconsin lost to PSU after leading 28-14 at the half, led OSU 16-6 at half, and that's just this year, I haven't bothered to look at the other three years.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 01:56:11 pm
Wisconsin lost to PSU after leading 28-14 at the half, led OSU 16-6 at half, and that's just this year, I haven't bothered to look at the other three years.

Well according to the link, " In four years, there have been 14 games where Arkansas was leading at halftime they've ended up losing. In six of those games the Hogs were leading in the fourth quarter." You'll be hard pressed to find a team in the P-5 that can top that.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 02:24:50 pm
Well according to the link, " In four years, there have been 14 games where Arkansas was leading at halftime they've ended up losing. In six of those games the Hogs were leading in the fourth quarter." You'll be hard pressed to find a team in the P-5 that can top that.
ZD, there are certain CBB supporters that could watch CBB set an old widow ladies home on fire with her in it...and all they would say is, "Wow those are pretty flames"...

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 02:24:50 pm

Hmm.....don't believe I ever disagreed with you on Arkansas, I just pointed out your fallacy on Wisconsin. Maybe you should have used another school?

cuckoobird

Wisconsin was in the title game and won the cotton bowl. There's that

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 02:49:20 pm
Hmm.....don't believe I ever disagreed with you on Arkansas, I just pointed out your fallacy on Wisconsin. Maybe you should have used another school?

LOL! They couldn't have blown too many leads because L they been winning about 10 games a year for the last 4 years! That's why I compared the two we've blown 14 leads in 4 years and and during the same time Wisconsin lost 13 games period. Wisconsin doesn't have a problem closing out games.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 03, 2017, 03:02:21 pm
Wisconsin was in the title game and won the cotton bowl. There's that

Correct, just think if they hadn't blown those halftime leads.......

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 01:46:30 pm
Correct, they weren't firing them were they? Because, there's that......also, check you math on head coaches, unless you're counting Barry's one game. Andersen for two years, and Chryst for two.
so changing head coaches regardless of who's decision is more stable? Oh yeah, my bad on the math. Three coaches in 4 years. That's much more stable and cements your point. Give me a break. Bert is and will be mediocre. If there are no changes on the coaching staff that really will tell you all you need to know.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 03:41:38 pm
LOL! They couldn't have blown too many leads because L they been winning about 10 games a year for the last 4 years! That's why I compared the two we've blown 14 leads in 4 years and and during the same time Wisconsin lost 13 games period. Wisconsin doesn't have a problem closing out games.

Except for the ones they don't, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 03, 2017, 03:43:08 pm
so changing head coaches regardless of who's decision is more stable? Oh yeah, my bad on the math. Three coaches in 4 years. That's much more stable and cements your point. Give me a break. Bert is and will be mediocre. If there are no changes on the coaching staff that really will tell you all you need to know.

Sure it is, it  isn't a dumpster fire like most after a losing season. If you don't think there's a difference between what Wisconsin had and what Arkansas had four years ago..........As far as changes, there will 2 minimum, possibly up to 4.

Coach Venny Slocombe

lolololol...changes on the hill...there is only one change that would matter...you could give Ole Bert...

OC - Josh McDaniels Patriots
DC - Buddy Ryan in his prime

Qb - Tom Brady
Rb - Emmitt Smith
Wr - Jerry Rice
Wr - Michael Irvin
TE - Jason Witten
OL - The Cowboys OL in Jimmie Johnson's heydey...

The 85 Bears whole defense
and Jimmie Johnson as his Assistant coach

And Bert would still be average and lose games...

ricepig

I guess we'll watch for two more years and see if the Bears defense helps them.

Coach Venny Slocombe

You bet we will, because our Ad is inept...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 03, 2017, 04:19:56 pm
You bet we will, because our Ad is inept...

Well, it would seem to me that those wanting a change would be pushing the boosters/administration to make a change at the AD position, much cheaper than the coach, and would be in charge when a change would have to be made.

AirWarren

mack

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 04:24:55 pm
Well, it would seem to me that those wanting a change would be pushing the boosters/administration to make a change at the AD position, much cheaper than the coach, and would be in charge when a change would have to be made.

These guys just need to be patient.  In two years if we don't have something magical happen, he'll be gone.  To do it before, and pay out the buyout would be stupid.  If anyone thinks we should, they're idiots.

beach bum

Quote from: mack on January 03, 2017, 08:27:33 pm
These guys just need to be patient.  In two years if we don't have something magical happen, he'll be gone.  To do it before, and pay out the buyout would be stupid.  If anyone thinks we should, they're idiots.

Well have fun with a 6-6 season and 7-5 season the next two years.....

Lumberjackfan1978

I think a 6-6 season would be the end of the road IMO.I hope they can pull out a few more wins than that though they've got some good players coming back.Hopefully they can have a good recruiting year to.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: beach bum on January 03, 2017, 09:15:23 pm
Oh they will be...mediocrity is running rampant on here... ;D

FD4

The solution is simple, and no one wants to admit it, except me maybe.  Get out of the SEC and get in the Sun Belt where you belong and can compete.  Then you can crow.  The political machine on the hill has ham strung the hogs far too long.  So long in fact you have to ask if the U of A will ever get back to what it was in the 60's and 70's when they had real coaching and less politics.

LRRandy

Do the Tuberville rumors have traction? That might be a pretty good hire if he still has fire and a passion to teach defense.

mack

Quote from: beach bum on January 03, 2017, 09:15:23 pm

I'll save this quote, and we'll see how good your  prognostic skills are.  I see a minimum 8 wins next year.  I doubt any of you guys predicted 8 this year.  Most picked 6/7.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: mack on January 04, 2017, 09:51:53 am
I'll save this quote, and we'll see how good your  prognostic skills are.  I see a minimum 8 wins next year.  I doubt any of you guys predicted 8 this year.  Most picked 6/7.
Well Mack, we have three gimme's (Maybe) so that means Bert will have to win 5 games...who do you see us beating?

ricepig

I did, I had us 8-4, so that makes me a homer by the realists definition.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 09:40:46 am
Do the Tuberville rumors have traction? That might be a pretty good hire if he still has fire and a passion to teach defense.

Um....what rumor would that be? As DC, I don't see it.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 10:12:26 am
Um....what rumor would that be? As DC, I don't see it.
the rumor that Tommy Tuberville interviewed in Fayetteville. I heard it on the Buzz so it has to be true.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 01:51:23 pm
the rumor that Tommy Tuberville interviewed in Fayetteville. I heard it on the Buzz so it has to be true.

For what position?

AirWarren

I love these coaching rumors and coach sightings mumbo jumbo at the end of every season.

mack

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 04, 2017, 09:58:31 am
Well Mack, we have three gimme's (Maybe) so that means Bert will have to win 5 games...who do you see us beating?

FL A&M
TCU
T A&M
NM State
Missouri
OM
Coastal Carolina

And one out of here.....
South Carolina
Mississippi St
Auburn

If we won all ten, some of ya'll would go apoplectic on me....

Jacketman65

They won't win all 10!  They will certainly find a way to lose at least 2 that they should win.

mack

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 04, 2017, 04:13:29 pm
They won't win all 10!  They will certainly find a way to lose at least 2 that they should win.

I said 8.... the 10 was hypothetical.

cuckoobird

It's hypothetical to go 0-12 too. I see another 6 loss season coming

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 02:47:59 pm
For what position?
i don't know. I just heard that he interviewed. You got the connections. Find out.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 05:14:44 pm
i don't know. I just heard that he interviewed. You got the connections. Find out.
He interviewed back in 1997, unfortunately, we chose Nutt, there's a connection for you.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 05:16:03 pm
He interviewed back in 1997, unfortunately, we chose Nutt, there's a connection for you.
nevermind. Your such an ***.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 10:09:45 am
I did, I had us 8-4, so that makes me a homer by the realists definition.

I picked 8-4 in preseason too....I'm more a realist than the trolls that get all giddy inside when they watch their "team" lose...

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 06:04:48 pm
nevermind. Your such an ***.

I read several Razorback boards, not a one of them mention Tuberville, much less interviewing for anything. So, take your Buzz rumor and run with it, or do with it as you choose. You knew when you quoted the source of the rumor, what it was worth.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 06:56:35 pm
I read several Razorback boards, not a one of them mention Tuberville, much less interviewing for anything. So, take your Buzz rumor and run with it, or do with it as you choose. You knew when you quoted the source of the rumor, what it was worth.
hence the question does it have traction.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:18:45 am
They've had a successful, stable program for years, that helps.
Quote from: LRRandy on January 03, 2017, 11:20:41 am
they had three different head coaches in three years during that span. So there's that.

that points to leadership.  Think past coach, now A.D.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 07:15:57 pm
hence the question does it have traction.

Well, since I didn't hear what they said, and you seem to be vague as to what was said, I can't answer that beyond what I just mentioned above, not a peep on any of the Razorback boards I read. And believe me, they've had every name mentioned for a position that doesn't currently appear to be open.

mack

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 04, 2017, 05:05:08 pm
It's hypothetical to go 0-12 too. I see another 6 loss season coming

I'm having a little trouble understanding your point...  Aren't all preseason predictions hypothetical?  We'll just have to wait and see if you're right.

mack

OK, how many of you haters are ready for us to pony up 13 million to fire him.  I'm curious how many of you are just mad... or actually nuts.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on January 04, 2017, 09:17:14 pm
OK, how many of you haters are ready for us to pony up 13 million to fire him.  I'm curious how many of you are just mad... or actually nuts.

It would probably take close to $20M to buyout the head coach, the two coordinators, the rest of the staff, and pay the buyout for whomever we are hiring, except of course Chip Kelley since he just got fired again.

cuckoobird

I was right this year in the loss column

cuckoobird

I've plainly stated we couldn't afford to get rid of him this year, but we could get rid of the guy who made it impossible to move on if he didn't work out. Long needs to go for the extension after 2 horrible seasons

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 07:42:36 pm
Well, since I didn't hear what they said, and you seem to be vague as to what was said, I can't answer that beyond what I just mentioned above, not a peep on any of the Razorback boards I read. And believe me, they've had every name mentioned for a position that doesn't currently appear to be open.
ok. Thanks for the explanation. I was asking the question wondering if anyone else knew/heard anything. I'm just like Schultz. I know nothing pertaining to Tuberville other than hearing it mentioned on the radio this morning.

cuckoobird

I heard nick saban was on UofAF campus today

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 04, 2017, 09:45:47 pm
ok. Thanks for the explanation. I was asking the question wondering if anyone else knew/heard anything. I'm just like Schultz. I know nothing pertaining to Tuberville other than hearing it mentioned on the radio this morning.

I don't listen to sports talk radio shows, especially local caller driven ones. It's like message boards except you have to listen to the idiots instead of clicking on the next thread, lol.

Lumberjackfan1978

i said 7 wins at most but to let two games get away from them at the end of the season that they should have won unbelievable no coaching is all I can say.maybe it will be better next year I hope so.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Rice is right, CBB will be here next year because of the buyout. The UA would be crazy to pay that kind of money then have to search for a new coach. That part of the equation is squarely on Jeff Long for giving an extension after a miserable season. Next year is a different story. We will see. As for the rumors, no Jimmie Johnson isn't coming back to his Alma Mater, Jon Gruden wasn't on the Hill yesterday and was not seen eating lunch with Jeff Long at McDonald's...Tommy Tuberville would be a bigger mistake than CBB. Maybe Barry Switzer? yeah, that may happen...
So it begs the question, what does Arkansas need. Like him or not, like what he did or not...but the FACT remains that Bobby Petrino had us winning 10 games in back to back seasons and very reputable bowl games. So, above average can be done at the UofA. Nobody can argue that. Trying to argue that is just plain stupid. Heck guys, even Nutt had some very good seasons. But look where we are at now. Below average if you go by wins and losses. How could anyone be happy and condone that. Are we at the point where we are predicting 8 win seasons and then happy if we reach that goal? Facts are facts folks, CBB's record speaks for itself. We can blame recruiting, assistant coaches and so forth but every other coach had the same problems. Face it, under CBB we are a .500 program...it is clear for everyone to see in black and white. Assistants may have messed up, but they were hired by CBB and he is the head hog. It lies squarely on his shoulders. So, how long should he get? We lose quite a bit this year...Oline, our whole Dline. So when does the rebuilding process end and we start having above average seasons?

Also, some of you talking about us "Realists"...what's wrong with that? Just because we don't like those "Feel Good" wins (AKA as close losses). A Loss is a loss. That is real and that is why we are realistic which makes us realists. The Hogs blowing two substantial halftime leads in back to back games is real. One we lost to a miserable Mizzou team...again that is real. Losing 14 leads during CBB's time here at Arkansas is real. Being average is real. His record of 25-26 and 10-22 in conference is real.
Making a prediction that year 5 will be better is a fairy tail at this point. That's not being real, that is being wishful and hopeful. Nothing wrong with that either. I also hope we go 15-0 and win the NC. Heck, I hope we win 10 games and go to a good bowl. But I am a "Realist" and base what I know off of history...and history tells me we will be average. I hope I am proved wrong.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas