• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite Book?

Started by warriorsforever, April 02, 2009, 05:55:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OUSoonersOU

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE PERSIAN GULF WAR BY MARK GROSSMAN. STALINGRAD THE INFERNAL CAULDRON AUTHOR UNKNOWN THE BOOK IS LAYING ON MY DRESSER BUT IM NOT HOME ATM

CatsRule

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

For anyone interested in philosophy, this is a good read.  I would consider it a hybrid of fiction and non-fiction. Ultimately, the story is fictional, but the retracing of the history of philosophy is factual. IMO it does a great job of showing the progression of thought of philosophers throughout history in an easy to read manner. 

muleshoe_forever

I don't exactly have a favorite. The top two of the top of my head are "Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton and "The Sword of Shannara" by Terry Brooks. I have a long list of books to read once I get to it.

parpar

August 28, 2009, 10:42:08 am #53 Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:45:27 am by parpar
As a teenager - Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer and Dick Schapp.  Recent Favorite - When Pride Mattered by Dave Morrisey, biography of Vince Lombardi.

See a pattern?  And I am a Cowboy fan.  But, like many sports fans, my #2 favorite teams are the Packers, the Yankees and the Celtics.

RATTLER43

As I read the three pages I was reminded of a number of enjoyable reads. I have been partial to A Separate Peace, Alas, Babylon, Fahrenheit 451 from high school English back in the day. Yes, I have enjoyed Hatchet, Holes, etc. reading with my kids. Battlefield Earth is a great read if you like that kind of stuff. The Hobbit was good. To Kill a Mockingbird is great. My wife tells me that Pride and Prejudice is great. I cannot get myself to read it. I enjoyed Jurassic Park. Finally, I love almost all of the classics. On worst books section somebody mentioned the Scarlet Letter but I rather enjoyed it. Haven't been able to get into Potter or Twilight stuff.

Mike Bonds

Fahrenheit 451 is totally awesome.

How can anyone dislike a book that has a killer Mechanical Hound?

Mike Bonds

BTW, Slate has a great podcast called the Slate Audio Book Club.  It only comes out once a month, but it's an hour long and usually great.  This month is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

RATTLER43

Hey, another 451 fan. Yes, there are so many great things about it. When in high school I did not catch all of the little meanings which are so good the second and third time to read it.

My English teachers in high school were great. We read some great stuff. (Also read some stuff which back then seemed horrible). 1984 was okay; Babbit-okay, Animal Farm was enjoyable. Still, 451 and Alas, Babylon were my two favorites from that time. I can still sit down and read them with total satisfaction.

They made us read so much from Lit books as well as outside. "Punch, brothers-punch with care. Punch in the presence of the passenger."          Flowers for Algernon still rings true after all these years. Tell tale Heart, Monkey's paw, the list of stuff. I wonder what effects some of it had on us. What about the unit we spent reading Edgar Allen Poe!!!! Great mind but so warped.

Sorry. Just waxing reminiscent tonight.

Hoghead

'The Secret Terrorest" by Bill Hughes. That's the last of many I've read over the years.

johnharrison

The Sparrow

Combination SciFi and Religious commentary regarding the Jesuit's decision to send a mission to the first planet found with life outside the solar system.

The Reality is back...

Texarkana_Piggie

i am reading showdown by ted dekker.  it is the first of a trilogy.  i read thr3e by him earlier.  it was really bizarre but good too.

neaballfan

trainspotting by irvine welsh

cuz

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour, for that matter all of his books are a good read and I'ver read most of them twice............

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 10, 2009, 10:23:23 pm
"World War Z : An oral history of the zombie war"

If this were a thread for greatest book ever, the thread would have ended here.  WWZ and The Zombie Survival Guide are THE 2 definitive works of the zombie phenomenon.

Doc Holiday

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 05, 2010, 08:42:12 pm
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 10, 2009, 10:23:23 pm
"World War Z : An oral history of the zombie war"

If this were a thread for greatest book ever, the thread would have ended here.  WWZ and The Zombie Survival Guide are THE 2 definitive works of the zombie phenomenon.

I really don't get into books unless I find one that really catches my attention...this book was one of them. If your caught up in the zombiemania that is spreading across the U.S. then this book is something you need to read.

redwolf143

I have a new one in Wee Free Men by Pratchette

SingleWingGuru

Average American Male by Chad Kultgen

bnathlete

A few good ones I've read recently (and I don't read much):
12 mighty orphans (funny, true fb story from early 1900's),
A season of life (Marx)
Coaches challenge (Gottfried)
UNcommon (maybe the best inspirational athletic book),
Winner's Manual (Tressel)

I recently picked up these as well, but haven't started them yet:
First things first (warner)
Power of Influence (DeBerry)
Opening Day (Eig)
Turning of the tide (Yeager)

ANYONE READ ANY OF THESE?????

old hog

Just recently finished the trilogy about WW2 from Jeff Shaara. Excellent books. Also if you are into SciFi look into anything by Greg Bear. Very good stuff.

JC PIMP

True Believer

I really loved "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt so I bought "Teacher Man".   It was good and really gives an inside view of being a teacher and how he handled his classes for 30 years in New York City.  I liked "Angela Ashes" better tho.   I want to get the one he wrote in between "Angela's Ashes" and "Teacher Man" titled "Tis". 

I'm also reading my favorite fluff author Janet Evanovich's "Three To Get Deadly". 

bulldogs1159

The Hunger games series. The fist two books have been awesome.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas