• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite Book?

Started by warriorsforever, April 02, 2009, 05:55:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warriorsforever

Do you have a favorite book?  Other than the Bible, is there one book, fiction or nonfiction, that you will pick up and read over and over?

Mine is probably Gone With the Wind.  I know I have read it at least 50 times. 

True Believer

"It Wasn't Always Easy but I Sure Had Fun" by Lewis Grizzard.

Bought it back in my 20's.   No smart arse comments now.  But it just makes me smile.  And I think that is the way my life has been.  More fun is on the way. 

The Reality is back...

Slaughterhouse V, easily.

True Believer

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 02, 2009, 07:31:01 am
Slaughterhouse V, easily.

You would put that after my fluff book...haha.

SandLizard04

Far From the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

The Reality is back...

Eddie Goodson

Going to have to think on this one a day or two.

dc24

HorseFeathers

Haven't read as much as some of you all have...but if I had to pick one probably Ender's Game.

Wampus_Cat

Maybe Hadji Murad by Tolstoy, although the Devils by Dostoyevsky reminds me of my friends and I.

AllSmiles

Texarkana_Piggie

April 03, 2009, 03:10:07 pm #11 Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:19:15 pm by Texarkana_Piggie
i can't put my finger on one book and say 'that's it!'  there are a lot i like.  i remember in school i read 'a separate peace' about a 1/2 dozen times.  usually kid novels are the ones i read over and over because i read them to my class.  of those, i love 'because of winn dixie' and 'charlie and the chocolate factory.'  i also love to read them the junie b. jones books by barbara park.  they are funny.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 03, 2009, 03:10:07 pm
i can't put my finger on one book and say 'that's it!'  there are a lot i like.  i remember in school i read 'a separate peace' about a 1/2 dozen times.  usually kid novels are the ones i read over nad over because i read them to my class.  of those, i love 'because of winn dixie' and 'charlie and the chocolate factory.'  i also love to read them the junie b. jones books by barbara park.  they are funny.

Okwonkwo(sp?) knows how to work a machete! LOL

I love, love, love "A Seperate Peace."

AllSmiles

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 03, 2009, 03:12:34 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 03, 2009, 03:10:07 pm
i can't put my finger on one book and say 'that's it!'  there are a lot i like.  i remember in school i read 'a separate peace' about a 1/2 dozen times.  usually kid novels are the ones i read over nad over because i read them to my class.  of those, i love 'because of winn dixie' and 'charlie and the chocolate factory.'  i also love to read them the junie b. jones books by barbara park.  they are funny.

Okwonkwo(sp?) knows how to work a machete! LOL

I love, love, love "A Seperate Peace."

I read that in 10th grade. I think I liked it, lol.

CatsRule

Siddartha - Hermann Hesse

The Reality is back...

CatsRule

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 05, 2009, 03:29:48 pm
Quote from: CatsRule on April 05, 2009, 03:20:31 pm
Siddartha - Hermann Hesse

Is that like, about Buddha?

Eh, in a manner of speaking.  The protagonist, Siddartha, is not buddha in this story.  He's an Indian boy on a spiritual journey during the time of buddha (the character Gotama).  It's a short book (150ish pages).  I definitely recommend it. 

The Reality is back...

HORNETFAN1122

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold is a great read as well.  It tells the story of a 14 year old girl who is murdered and watches the lives of her family, friends, and murderer from Heaven.

When I first learned that there was going to be a movie of this book, I remember telling my daughter that the only person who could possibly direct this movie and bring it to life was Peter Jackson.  One of the first movies he made was a film called "Heavenly Creatures" that involved an intricate fantasy world created by two teenaged girls.  He really, really brought that world to life and it is a terrific movie.  Kate Winslet is in it.  I think it is one of the first movies she ever did.

I'm excited to see what Peter Jackson does with "The Lovely Bones". 

Texarkana_Piggie

lovely bones was good book.  i hope the movie does it justice.

Eddie Goodson

I've tried to narrow it down to one book as a favorite and I can't. I've got a short list of favs, all are in different categories, and I can't decide which category is better.

Favorite fiction book 'Raise the Titanic' by Cussler.

Favorite Christian 'Normal Christian Life' by Watchman Nee

Favorite biography 'The Man Called Cash' by Steve Turner It's a biography about Johnny Cash's journey as a Christian to backslider and back to the Lord. It's a phenominal book. I wept like a baby reading the first chapter and almost quit reading it. The first chapter dealt with the death of June and Johnny's death a short time later. Most heart wrenching chapter I've ever read in anything. I'm headed to Amazon.com right now to buy the mp3 and download it to my iPod.

I've got several books that could easily rank as my favorites in those catergories. The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit both are near the top of the list. A couple other Cussler books rank up there too. Among the Chritian books I've read Oral Roberts' 'Expect a Miracle' autobography was outstanding. Benny Hinn's Good Morning Holy Spirit had a profound impact on my life as well.

Uncle Ivan

Nonfiction - My Daddy was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun by Lewis Grizzard

Fiction - The Stand by Stephen King

Doc Holiday

All Gary Paulsen Books

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Doc Holiday on April 07, 2009, 10:05:25 am
All Gary Paulsen Books

I've read Hatchet, Brian's Winter, and The River, and loved all three.

Course, I was 15. But....

Doc Holiday

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 07, 2009, 11:40:14 am
Quote from: Doc Holiday on April 07, 2009, 10:05:25 am
All Gary Paulsen Books

I've read Hatchet, Brian's Winter, and The River, and loved all three.

Course, I was 15. But....
Still good books though

Made

Fiction-Can't name any of his books off the top of my head, but have read several books by R.A. Salvatore.  Darkwind trilogy, Cleric Quartet, and have read two other series by him. His main character Drizzt Do'Urden is the character in most of his books.

Non-Fiction-not real sure I have eer finished a non-fiction book.

Razorback121

Gary Paulsen books are good if you're talking about what my English teacher calls "potato chip books."

I'm actually pretty fond of The Great Gatsby, myself.

bulldogs1159

"World War Z : An oral history of the zombie war"

SandLizard04

Egads, how have I forgotten this.

"Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby.

READ IT.

johnharrison

The forward to "The life of pi"

CatsRule

Quote from: johnharrison on April 10, 2009, 11:36:42 pm
The forward to "The life of pi"

Ah, "Life of Pi"....another book that resides at the top of my list.  The biggest twist I've ever encountered in a book. 

W

April 18, 2009, 10:30:50 pm #31 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:45:36 pm by W
All of my favorite books are autobiographical...which is all I ever really read anymore.

I love old Hollywood and those days of film, so in that vein, two of my favorites of all time are "By Myself and Then Some" by Lauren Bacall and "Me and My Shadows" by Lorna Luft (daughter of Judy Garland). Another favorite is "The Death of Innocence" by John and Patsy Ramsey--an incredibly sad story, but very inspirational. I was blessed to have bought and read this book years ago out of idle curiosity, at which time I began praying for them. I've since become acquainted with John and his son and had the opportunity to tell them of how I'd been praying for them for years and years. God works in mysterious ways. (By the way, if any of you are interested in reading it, your local library probably has it, or you can get it on Amazon for like a dollar. I'd encourage anyone to read it--like I said, it's very inspirational--it's also a book of truth.)

I had to read "The Hot Zone" for class in high school and it still fascinates me. Somewhat scares me to death, but it's a great book.

I just read Ingrid Bergman's memoirs and they were quite good. Also just went through Lauren Bacall's second book, "Now", which I plan on buying my own copy of. I just bought Kristin Chenoweth's brand new book, "A Little Bit Wicked"--I'm going to be honest, only a girl would ever really like this book, but it's hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried more than once.

Ballfan2

I love Lewis Grizzard too.  Used to read his editorial every day.

Fiction:  To Kill A Mockingbird.    Hands down, all time favorite.

I just read Max Lucado's "He still moves stones".  Easy read, very encouraging.

Ty

War and Peace. No other author has ran the gamut of emotions quite like Tolstoy.

Non-fiction would be They Call Me Coach, by Wooden.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Ty on June 01, 2009, 05:16:18 am
War and Peace. No other author has ran the gamut of emotions quite like Tolstoy.

Non-fiction would be They Call Me Coach, by Wooden.
You know the original name for that was "War, what is it good for?"

suspended

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: Ty on June 01, 2009, 05:16:18 am
Great book.

I like Anna Karenina alot.

Texarkana_Piggie

i just finished thr3e by ted dekker.  good book.

True Believer

July 19, 2009, 09:36:48 pm #38 Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:15:18 pm by True Believer
"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt.  A great story of an impovised childhood in Ireland.  I thoughly enjoyed this and his other "Teacher Man".

He passed away.   RIP Frank McCourt.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10751984

Texarkana_Piggie

angela's ashes was a good book and i felt so sorry for the way those kids had to live.  but to me, that book was depressing.  i have his follow up "tis" but i never have read it because the first one was so depressing.  i haven't read teacher man.  i'll have to look that one up.

True Believer

I can see that Piggie.  It is sad.  It is true.  That is the way people in Ireland were living.  I'm Irish so it was very interesting to me because it reinforced what my grandfather said about Ireland. 

But I laughed alot too because I could see his Irish humor in his memories.  They, like the English, have a very dry wit about them.  So I got his humor even when they were living in pure H E L L.  My family were soup eaters.  They were not going to starve to death because a priest told them not to eat from other churches. 

Baller Fan35

If u haven't read them, you should, "The Pact" by 3 doctors and "The Pilot's Wife", which was made into a tv movie.  I've yet to read my fave book because everytime I think I have, another comes along.

redwolf143

Lewis'The Horse and His Boy, Robert Munch's Love You Forever and St Exupere'sLe Petit Prince-- I know they are  childrens books but I still love them.

In my adult years: Lewis'Screwtape letters , Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel and Voltaire's Candide

Texarkana_Piggie

when i was in high school, we had to read le petit prince in french and write a review of each chapter.  yeah, i bought the english version and cheated!  lol.  that was hard!  it is a good book, though.  i liked a horse and his boy too.  i am on the silver chair now.

CatsRule

Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse.  The second book by Hesse that I've thoroughly enjoyed. 

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: CatsRule on July 28, 2009, 06:32:49 pm
Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse.  The second book by Hesse that I've thoroughly enjoyed. 
Dude, I'm currently reading "The Kingdom of God is Within You". You need to pick it up as soon as possible.

koopa

Fight Club, 1984, Animal Farm, Slaughterhouse-Five, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Survivor, Harry Potter series, The Door to December, Sole Survivor, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Running with Scissors, Invisible.

Uncle Ivan

doober3

John Grishams' "Bleachers" is a much better book than I thought it would be.

Mike Bonds

Fiction:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Dune by Frank Herbert
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Non-Fiction
The Civil War--A Narrative by Shelby Foote
Stalin by Edvard Radzinsky
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

I'm a big Philip K. Dick fan, too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas