• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Started by Wampus_Cat, May 23, 2010, 06:35:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus_Cat

Anyone like him?

I just bought One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, but I've heard Gulag Archepilago (thats cant be the right spelling) was really good.

Thoughts?

Ty

I've never read any of his novels, but some of his writings.

Very intelligent and brave man who did not hesitate to take the entirety of the USSR on when it was at the height of its power.

His graduation speech at Harvard in '78 absolutely blasted the West, but on just grounds in my opinion. A quote from that speech is one that I truly agree with-

"It has made man the measure of all things on earth—imperfect man, who is never free of pride, self-interest, envy, vanity, and dozens of other defects. We are now paying for the mistakes which were not properly appraised at the beginning of the journey. On the way from the Renaissance to our days we have enriched our experience, but we have lost the concept of a Supreme Complete Entity which used to restrain our passions and our irresponsibility."

I need to get around to reading some of his novels, but my to read list is long and grows by the day.

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: Ty on May 24, 2010, 12:12:26 am
I've never read any of his novels, but some of his writings.
Just finished "A Day in the Life..." Not bad. Not one of my favorite, but not bad.

QuoteI need to get around to reading some of his novels, but my to read list is long and grows by the day.
You and me both, brother.

I'm starting to get some reading done finally this summer. Even reading a textbook, "Games Nations Play".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas