• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concussion Test

Started by Superjack45, August 08, 2014, 12:42:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Superjack45

I was just wondering is this something new? I never heard of it until now, some of the kids said it was a crazy test but I agree about protecting the children as much as possible. What do you all know about this test?

SUGARTOWN

Yes, I think you should definitely take one.

APACHE

Its something the NCAA does and some schools are starting to give the test to players. If a player gets a concussion or suspected head injury this is a baseline test that can show if an injury has occurred.

We started it here last year and gave it again this year.

It has alot to do with memorization and motor skills.

Its call the ImPact test and our PT guy we use came in and gave it.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Superjack45 on August 08, 2014, 12:42:07 pm
I was just wondering is this something new? I never heard of it until now, some of the kids said it was a crazy test but I agree about protecting the children as much as possible. What do you all know about this test?

New?  Not really, trainers have been checking kids out for concussions for years.

Superjack45

Not new as in the test itself but new as in giving the test before the season start(first game). I just knew that they hadn't done it here at least not in the last couple of years anyway but I could be wrong I have been before(that's for you BF,ST,CB and OM). Has it been given AW or LJ06?

Superjack45

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 08, 2014, 12:54:37 pm
Touché my friend.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Superjack45 on August 08, 2014, 01:14:51 pm
Touché my friend.
Nah, I live with a doctor, I'm good.

Superjack45

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 08, 2014, 01:22:48 pm
Touché my friend.
A lot of good that's doing you lol! I came through your town Tuesday on my way to and from Jackson,TN and stop at you all Hunting store checking out a AR-15 so I can shoot down some of those pesky Ricebirds flying all across the road,just kidding KMSL(but did check a AR-15).

IPROFB

You give the test before the season to every player to serve as a BASE LINE.

If they take a hit or blow to the head, you give them the test and compare their answers to the base line.

OLDSCHOOL82

Booneville has done it for awhile.

Superjack45

Quote from: IPROFB on August 08, 2014, 01:33:28 pm
You give the test before the season to every player to serve as a BASE LINE.

If they take a hit or blow to the head, you give them the test and compare their answers to the base line.
ok I get it now good info you just gave me,all schools should do it if that's the case.

johnharrison

Like any medical test, it is not perfect, but it does offer some protection for the athlete.

If you can't approach baseline levels after an injury you can't play.  Doesn't matter is the student says "I'm fine", or if the parents say, "He's a senior" or the coach says, "It's the playoffs"

If the test indicates that your brain is still scrambled, you sit out.

Adding this AS PART of the decision making process with probably save one of our athlete's lives in the next few years.

Three years ago I was involved with a college athlete who had suffered his 7th !!! concussion. 

After two weeks he returned to the head coach with good IMPACT scores, and releases from his parents, his primary care doc and a neuro surgeon.

Coach said, "I don't care.  The only way you'll ever be exposed to contact again at this school is if I am fired or I transfer elsewhere.  They were not looking out for your best interests last time, or again this year.  No more football."

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Superjack45 on August 08, 2014, 01:32:17 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 08, 2014, 01:22:48 pm
Touché my friend.
A lot of good that's doing you lol! I came through your town Tuesday on my way to and from Jackson,TN and stop at you all Hunting store checking out a AR-15 so I can shoot down some of those pesky Ricebirds flying all across the road,just kidding KMSL(but did check a AR-15).
does superfly with an ar-15 scare anyone else?

cuckoobird

It does with him thinking its a good bird hunting gun.

Jacketman65

Heard that is what you guys use for goose hunting down there!  Superjack should fit right in. :)

cuckoobird

It isnt legal to goose hunt with a rifle. Maybe you mean farmers use them to scare off geese from their wheat fields

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas