• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

highland vs midland Christian Tx

Started by zizzers79, August 03, 2014, 12:54:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zizzers79

What are yalls thoughts on this game?  Who do y'all think is going to win and what the score is going to be.

The_Pioneer

Photo

What a great opportunity for Highland. Play at Reynolds-Razorback Stadium. Play a team from Texas.
The two teams dress about the same number of players, albeit Midland Christian dresses Freshman through Senior.
I assume it will be a close game throughout with a score in the first, no points in the second, several points in the third, and a single mistake will decide the game near the end of the fourth.

Highland 35, TX-Midland Christian 31.

taclark1996

Highland has a good team coming into this year, but again this team is from Texas and teams from Texas are usually not pushovers. But i think highland manages to scrap by
Highland- 28
TX- 21

TBone70

Razorhummer

Better hope that TX-Midland Christian isn't like Euless Trinity or it could get ugly.

tesnow23

Midland Christian was 14-0 last year outscoring opponents 725-62.  They were ranked 382 nationally and 52 in the state (all classifications ), according to MaxPreps.  Football in West Texas is always tough and the teams are solid.  I have no idea what Highland has this year , or for that matter what Midland will bring to the dance, but based just on past year performance, I think Midland Christian will easily handle Highland. 

AirWarren

Where is this game being played? How much does Midland Christian return?

TBone70

Quote from: AirWarren on August 11, 2014, 10:19:33 am
Fayetteville/Reynolds Stadium. Hootens/simmons kickoff classic September 1, 7:30 pm. Not sure on returners. They are 3yr defending state champs.

AirWarren

Quote from: TBone70 on August 11, 2014, 10:30:30 am
Fayetteville/Reynolds Stadium. Hootens/simmons kickoff classic September 1, 7:30 pm. Not sure on returners. They are 3yr defending state champs.

Dang. So they are appear to be the typical west texas football team huh.

TBone70

August 11, 2014, 10:41:24 am #10 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:51:36 am by TBone70
Quote from: AirWarren on August 11, 2014, 10:34:06 am

I do know they lost their QB, He signed with Houston. But I'm sure the new one will fill his shoes just fine. Returning 6 on Offense and 5 on defense according to Maxpreps.

AirWarren

With a Midland Population of 123,933(some have estimated now to have 155-165k people due to the midland oil boom) and metro population of 295,987 with the city of Odessa...I am sure they had zero problem filling slots. Along with being a private school in a pretty large town.

TBone70

August 11, 2014, 10:56:41 am #12 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:58:42 am by TBone70
Quote from: AirWarren on August 11, 2014, 10:49:35 am
With a Midland Population of 123,933(some have estimated now to have 155-165k people due to the midland oil boom) and metro population of 295,987 with the city of Odessa...I am sure they had zero problem filling slots. Along with being a private school in a pretty large town.
Yeah they probably get to pick or choose who can play since its Private. They suited out 61 on Midlands Website but Maxpreps shows 41 players last year according to 2013 roster.

tesnow23

Midland and Odessa area have a rich tradition of really good football, albeit public schools.  Midland Christian was originally a 6-man program and did very well.  As the school grew, they moved into 11 man football and put together a solid program quickly.   Being a private school, they are restrained by school boundaries and can attract players from anywhere to play, provided the parents have the means. Midland Odessa area has some $$ floating around because of oil and gas industry and perhaps a lot of parents are looking to get their kids out of public school.  I sense Midland Christian is cannabilizing some of the talent from the local public schools within a 30 mile + radius.  Point being - they are reloading every year.  And, from what I hear, the coaching is really good.  I live in Texas and try to keep up with football here.  Our son is attending Subi so I saw booneville, pottsville, Maumelle and dardanelle (who beat highland in the playoffs) last year.  So, being a little familiar with 4a landscape in Arkansas, and more familiar with Texas landscape, I give a big edge to Midland in this game.  Honestly, I would like to see Highland make a game of it and pull off what I think would be an epic upset.  I would like nothing more than to revisit this thread in a month and say, "I stand corrected in my analysis".   

AirWarren

Quote from: TBone70 on August 11, 2014, 10:56:41 am
Quote from: AirWarren on August 11, 2014, 10:49:35 am
Yeah they probably get to pick or choose who can play since its Private. They suited out 61 on Midlands Website but Maxpreps shows 41 players last year according to 2013 roster.

Maxpreps said we only had 32 last year but had 44. Gotta watch max preps.

rdhill

Sorry to say Arkansas high school football is like pimple on the butt of Texas high school football probley be over quick, I hate it just the way it is right now.

TBone70

Quote from: tesnow23 on August 11, 2014, 11:06:08 am

Midland and Odessa area have a rich tradition of really good football, albeit public schools.  Midland Christian was originally a 6-man program and did very well.  As the school grew, they moved into 11 man football and put together a solid program quickly.   Being a private school, they are restrained by school boundaries and can attract players from anywhere to play, provided the parents have the means. Midland Odessa area has some $$ floating around because of oil and gas industry and perhaps a lot of parents are looking to get their kids out of public school.  I sense Midland Christian is cannabilizing some of the talent from the local public schools within a 30 mile + radius.  Point being - they are reloading every year.  And, from what I hear, the coaching is really good.  I live in Texas and try to keep up with football here.  Our son is attending Subi so I saw booneville, pottsville, Maumelle and dardanelle (who beat highland in the playoffs) last year.  So, being a little familiar with 4a landscape in Arkansas, and more familiar with Texas landscape, I give a big edge to Midland in this game.  Honestly, I would like to see Highland make a game of it and pull off what I think would be an epic upset.  I would like nothing more than to revisit this thread in a month and say, "I stand corrected in my analysis".
I'm with you on your thoughts, and I'm sure Highland and even the whole 4a fans would love good representation of Arkansas 4a ball. I have hopes of Highland keeping up with this Midland club and a Win would be even better. Now if Highland is capable of a win our playing tight with them we will have to give them some props and some respect. Texas football is a different league all together from what you hear and see on TV, media, ESPN, etc. But going to this game will prove to me the difference. We will soon find out and after the game I'll either have my head down or Jumping for joy. Just a Realistic thought. :)

mossflyer

What would be the equivalent classification of Midland in Arkansas?

AirWarren

Quote from: mossflyer on August 11, 2014, 03:29:12 pm
What would be the equivalent classification of Midland in Arkansas?

If they had 63 kids on the roster, then they would be the same as a large 4A school or 5A school.

polksalet

63-10

This score applies to both the high school game discussed here as well as aggies vs. Bert.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: polksalet on August 11, 2014, 08:44:46 pm
63-10

This score applies to both the high school game discussed here as well as aggies vs. Bert.
I'll take the Hogs plus 52...bet?

tazz

Midland Christian is a solid team, but is nowhere near the level of Trinity or any other top 5a (now 6a) school
in Texas.  They play in the second largest TAPPS (private class) division, which isn't on the level of the public schools.

As an example, those good Shiloh Christian teams used to smoke Prestonwood every year when when Prestonwood was one of the best teams in TAPPS.  We know how Shiloh fared against an elite Texas 5a.

I think this will be a competitive game, with either team capable of winning. It should make both teams better, and be a good experience for the kids.

tesnow23

Quote from: tazz on August 14, 2014, 12:28:39 am
Midland Christian is a solid team, but is nowhere near the level of Trinity or any other top 5a (now 6a) school
in Texas.  They play in the second largest TAPPS (private class) division, which isn't on the level of the public schools.

As an example, those good Shiloh Christian teams used to smoke Prestonwood every year when when Prestonwood was one of the best teams in TAPPS.  We know how Shiloh fared against an elite Texas 5a.

I think this will be a competitive game, with either team capable of winning. It should make both teams better, and be a good experience for the kids.

Uh, midland christian moved up to TAPPS 1 this year, are preseason number 1 in the state for TAPPS, ranked 190 in the nation by MaxPreps, number 28 in the State, ahead of some powerhouse teams that could be playing for 5a and 6a hardware in Texas ( public schools ).  To put it in perspective, Highland is ranked 4793 in the nation, 56 in the state of arkansas and 15th in 4a.  I think Midland is real deal.  I hope highland makes a game out of it, but I think it will get ugly.

TBone70

I don't know who Tazz is trying to fool, but after doing some research. They are the real deal. After looking at roster size, not only the amount, but the size of players. Having a coaching staff of 10. Schedule and their past record and accomplishments with a couple guys being D1 prospects and I can go on and on. We all know about TX football tradition. This is a great team no doubt. Some of the smallest classes in TX can beat some of the upper class teams in AR. I hope it will be competitive and everyone gets their money's worth after all the travel and expense. Heck for all I know Midland is picking up the tab for all their fans after seeing the tuition fees. ;) Probably compared to the Warren/Fayetteville game last year.  I want the Rebels to give everything they got and use this as a great experience with hopes of a win.

tazz

I said they are a solid team. To me that means they are very good.  They may well take Highland to the woodshed, but they aren't the 28 best team in Texas.  With that many 2 way players, there is no way they
would stand up to even a decent big school, in Texas or Arkansas.  I wouldn't put too much faith in Maxpreps rankings, they are beyond a joke.

Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a great experience for all the kids involved. I wish I could have played in these types of games when I played.

tazz

August 15, 2014, 02:02:16 am #25 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:11:03 am by tazz
QuoteTo put it in perspective, Highland is ranked 4793 in the nation, 56 in the state of arkansas and 15th in 4a

To put it in perspective, Maxpreps had Shiloh Christian #1 and Euless Trinity #2 in the nation. They have equally ridiculous over/under rankings in their top 100 this preseason. I know it was freeman, but the human Maxpreps had Shiloh ranked in the top 25.

TBone70

Yeah, I know what you are saying about Maxpreps. But a lot of my info came from other sites as well.  Hope it is a competitive game. What do yo need 10 coaches for in High school ball? That info came from their own school website.

IPROFB

I hope Highland comes up with a WIN for all of Arkansas but I agree with several posters, the elite private school teams in TX often have several D1 players and can go out and recruit whatever talent they need. It could get ugly but I hope it turns out good for Highland.

tazz

QuoteWhat do yo need 10 coaches for in High school ball

I don't know, but I bet practice sucks with 1 coach for every 4 players....Nowhere to hide. lol

TBone70

August 15, 2014, 08:59:29 am #29 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:01:14 am by TBone70
Quote from: tazz on August 15, 2014, 08:36:14 am
QuoteWhat do yo need 10 coaches for in High school ball

I don't know, but I bet practice sucks with 1 coach for every 4 players....Nowhere to hide. lol
Haha, I even think they even had paid trainers listed. Highland has 4 coaches and use to be 3 not so long ago. Our trainers are some girls we pulled out of Sewing class to help out.  ;)

tesnow23

Quote from: tazz on August 15, 2014, 02:02:16 am
QuoteTo put it in perspective, Highland is ranked 4793 in the nation, 56 in the state of arkansas and 15th in 4a

To put it in perspective, Maxpreps had Shiloh Christian #1 and Euless Trinity #2 in the nation. They have equally ridiculous over/under rankings in their top 100 this preseason. I know it was freeman, but the human Maxpreps had Shiloh ranked in the top 25.

I get your point about the reliability of MaxPreps rankings, but my point was about perspective with respect to one being ranked at 190 and the other some 4500 spots lower.  Like Tbone70, I also looked at other measures.  Look at the rosters of both, ability to recruit, projected talent to next level, recent talent that's moved on, etc. 

phdefense

Quote from: tazz on August 14, 2014, 12:28:39 am

As an example, those good Shiloh Christian teams used to smoke Prestonwood every year when when Prestonwood was one of the best teams in TAPPS.
  We know how Shiloh fared against an elite Texas 5a.

This is a bad example because Highland would not have been able to stay with 50 points of those Shiloh teams that were beating Prestonwood.

tazz

QuoteThis is a bad example because Highland would not have been able to stay with 50 points of those Shiloh teams that were beating Prestonwood.

That's true.  I hope they can make a good game of it.
I'll be pulling for them to win it.

Lions84

Midland Christian is a tougher group than That Prestonwood bunch. MC by 21 over Highland.

TBone70

Quote from: Lions84 on August 24, 2014, 09:02:02 am
Midland Christian is a tougher group than That Prestonwood bunch. MC by 21 over Highland.
God I hope not. Let's play ball soon.

Okieback

Midland is tough, but like someone said they are in TAPPS, totally different type of private school in that organization, they are not like the ones in Arkansas, Louisiana , and Oklahoma.  They are like a really really good mid size 3a team.  Which I believe in texas is size 600-1200 students, Oklahoma 310-425,
now they have nowhere near that amount of students, I'm just saying talent wise that's where they will be at.

Lions84

Midland so tough most 3-4 A Texas schools don't play them.  They are in a great football area of the State.

TBone70

Highland is playing 7A/6A Mountain Home in a benefit game tonight. Fixing to see what they got.

minerjack

The only reason Midland Christian scheduled this game in their non-conference is because they can't get anyone in west, central, or east Texas to play them.  Heard that from the horse's mouth.  They're that good.

tazz

August 25, 2014, 08:36:16 pm #39 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:41:05 pm by tazz
I might have underestimated them by quite a bit.  They play Calvary Baptist out of Shreveport before Highland.  If they hang with, or beat them, Highland could be in trouble.

I still rate TAPPS teams behind the 6A teams, and I still don't buy Midland Christian at #28 in Texas.   
There's no way they can hang with good 5A teams either.

SUGARTOWN

Doesn't sound good for Highland. Good luck.

Will you guys be streaming this game?

Big Fan

tesnow23

Quote from: tazz on August 25, 2014, 08:36:16 pm
I might have underestimated them by quite a bit.  They play Calvary Baptist out of Shreveport before Highland.  If they hang with, or beat them, Highland could be in trouble.

I still rate TAPPS teams behind the 6A teams, and I still don't buy Midland Christian at #28 in Texas.   

I live in Texas and have a son playing AR. I don't think you understand just how good TAPPS1 is.  It's not 6a Texas state championship caliber, perhaps.  But for them to be ranked that high is pretty impressive.  Compare their rankings to the best in Arkansas and draw your own conclusions.  Trust me when I say these guys will be a machine.

TBone70

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 25, 2014, 08:42:30 pm
Doesn't sound good for Highland. Good luck.

Will you guys be streaming this game?
I'm not sure, I'm thinking they won't cause they want the paid attendance, but if I hear they do I will post. There is a link for the website on my profile or below my have name if you are not on mobile site. Hit the globe icon. By the way Highland beat Mt Home tonight. Deon Stewart had 2 touches in the 1st qtr with 2 scores one was a 15 yrd catch which turned into a 60 yrd scramble for TD next was a 50 yrd int. Return. Pulled starters at half with 21-7 lead as you should on these benefit games and JV played the rest.

tazz

August 26, 2014, 10:09:25 am #44 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:19:07 pm by tazz
QuoteI live in Texas and have a son playing AR. I don't think you understand just how good TAPPS1 is.  It's not 6a Texas state championship caliber, perhaps.  But for them to be ranked that high is pretty impressive.  Compare their rankings to the best in Arkansas and draw your own conclusions.  Trust me when I say these guys will be a machine.

I lived in Texas for over 40 years, right smack in the middle of Dallas/Ft.Worth, and graduated from a Texas 5a(6a).  I have a good grasp of the different levels in Texas and Arkansas.  They have WAY too many 2-way players to even think about competing with big Texas or Arkansas schools.  They may have great players; I'm sure they do. But being on the field that much, they'll be roadkill playing against teams that they are currently ranked with, no matter how good those athletes are when they're fresh.  Those teams rotate linemen in and out of the game for 4 qtrs. with little drop off in talent. They can keep their athletes relatively fresh.

Like I said before,  Highland may well get blown out by Midland, and I might have underestimated this particular team, but not TAPPS as a whole.  I'm confident that the Warrens, Nashville's and other top 4a teams would not be outclassed by the good TAPPS teams on their up years. 

Would you really rank them up there with Cedar Park, Aledo, Highland Park(even though they've moved up now), because that's who you're comparing them to when you looking at the old Texas 4a.

tesnow23

Quote from: tazz on August 26, 2014, 10:09:25 am
QuoteI live in Texas and have a son playing AR. I don't think you understand just how good TAPPS1 is.  It's not 6a Texas state championship caliber, perhaps.  But for them to be ranked that high is pretty impressive.  Compare their rankings to the best in Arkansas and draw your own conclusions.  Trust me when I say these guys will be a machine.

I lived in Texas for over 40 years, right smack in the middle of Dallas/Ft.Worth, and graduated from a Texas 5a(6a).  I have a good grasp of the different levels in Texas and Arkansas.  They have WAY too many 2-way players to even think about competing with big Texas or Arkansas schools.  They may have great players; I'm sure they do. But being on the field that much, they'll be roadkill playing against teams that they are currently ranked with, no matter how good those athletes are when they're fresh.  Those teams rotate linemen in and out of the game for 4 qtrs. with little drop off in talent. They can keep their athletes relatively fresh.

Like I said before,  Highland may well get blown out by Midland, and I might have underestimated this particular team, but not TAPPS as a whole.  I'm confident that the Warrens, Nashville's and other top 4a teams would not be outclassed by the good TAPPS teams on their up years. 

Would you really rank them up their with Cedar Park, Aledo, Highland Park(even though they've moved up now), because that's who you're comparing them to when you looking at the old Texas 4a.
Tazz, no question that numbers become a question when you are competing against bigger schools. However, I guess my point is they can probably compete with the 5a schools, and in my opinion get to second or third round of playoffs.  Aledo is an anomaly.  They just got moved to 5a but will probably be 6a after next realignment in a year or two.  They can compete with top 6a teams today.  Highland Park is good, but not the power they once were.  Don't know how this midland team would stack up against them, but their rosters look similar.  Midland is hard to gauge because of the schedule they've played in the past.  Seriously, they have to play their TAPPS schedule, which they destroyed.  They have picked up some non conference games in West Texas with 3a and 4a schools, which may or may not be the best they can find out there.  I think this is why they are going to Arkansas and Shreveport this year- to play a better and more interesting non conference.  Like you, I have lived in Texas a long time, as well as numerous years in Ar as a kid.  So, I respect your experience and take on this.  I'm not necessarily trying to put this team on a pedestal, don't know a heck of a lot about them, but I do think they look really really good on paper.  We'll see how the highland game goes, and like I've said before, I hope I can admit to being totally wrong! 

tazz

August 26, 2014, 12:36:21 pm #46 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:40:06 pm by tazz
I totally agree with most of that. LOL

I think I'm just going by what TAPPS teams usually are.  I admit Midland Christian is probably an exception to the norm, and I was a little surprised when I looked at their roster. I just don't think they could live up to that ranking because of depth; definitely not quality. If they can play with Calvary Baptist, then there is no doubt they are better than what I expect from a private school in Texas. 

That would make it all the better if Highland can hang with them and make it a game.

TBone70

Quote from: tazz on August 25, 2014, 08:36:16 pm

Highland is their 1st game., Calvary 2nd week

tazz

Oh, ok.  Hopefully it'll be on the internet somewhere, or at least the radio.

reegs000

Quote from: tazz on August 26, 2014, 07:03:08 pm
Oh, ok.  Hopefully it'll be on the internet somewhere, or at least the radio.

It should be on HighlandRebels.com that night at 7:30. If you can attend and cheer on the Highland boys, you should. If not, it will be streaming online through the posted website.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas