• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Take 2014: 1-4A

Started by whippersnapper, June 23, 2014, 05:00:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMule

Quote from: TIGER101 on August 04, 2014, 07:28:18 am
I agree 100% Josh.  I have seen every team in the youth organization have successful years from top to bottom.  It's a mystery to me some can't get it together in high school.  Although this conference has had at least 1 team in the semifinals for the past several years. 
I do believe the coaches wanting their players for a full 10 to 12 months out of the year is definitely part of it.  If you have a competitive athlete in your family you basically have a window of a week in the summer to get any family time in for a vacation or anything these days.  On the other hand, it is no different in the other conferences.  Someone above listed it as "meaning more" to schools from other areas and I couldn't agree more.  Kids are brought up being told how important it is to win in football, football, football.  Up here, it is sometimes a social event.  Either way I Don't see it changing anytime soon.

The culture has changed too.  20 or 30 years ago, Coach Holland was at Farmington and any "Athlete" or anyone who looked like they could contribute was "Recruited" to the team--meaning they were told by the coach, parents, peers, and anyone else that they would be playing football.  Kids were not given an option:  THEY WERE FOOTBALL PLAYERS if the coach told them that they were a football player.  That was also at the same time that baseball didn't exist in schools, and basketball was only something that was done in the winter--and probably coached by one of the football coaches.

Now, baseball is being played as a school sport, and both baseball and basketball are year round sports.   Not that long ago, basketball was NEVER played in the summer, nor was it EVER played in any organized fashion until after football season was over.  It was essentially something to do in the off season.

Then you have to look at realistic expectations.  I'll give a Farmington example (because that is what I am familiar with):  In recent years, there have been ZERO players from Farmington go on to play college ball at any level (and only a handful of players that would have potentially done so), while at the same time, there have been a handful of basketball players playing some kind of college ball, and quite a few playing baseball at some level in college.  Farm has had lots of good athletes, but not very many of them have chosen to play football past their sophomore or junior year (maybe, junior high).

I think that is because there is a high risk of injury playing football, and they have the year round option of playing something else (that option previously did not exist).  It is no wonder that the smaller to mid-size schools have what amounts to a football identity crisis:  The "Good athletes" will have more success in sports where less help is needed, where they don't have to carry the team until they get hurt, and where they have some expectation of playing in some manner at the next level.  At smaller schools where a 5'9" 160# athlete can see playing time on the basketball court and baseball field, football loses. 

Look what has happened at Huntsville: They don't have enough help or interest to really field a decent football team, so the ones that do play, get killed.  For what?  But in a sport like basketball, where 1 or 2 kids plus some good athletes can make a pretty good team, Huntsville does well.  And that is exactly what has happened in the last decade. 

DerekOxford

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on August 17, 2014, 02:57:36 pm
It's hard to go against PG being picked number 1 in the conference because of the tradition and work ethic of coach Abshier, but Pea Ridge Gravette and Shiloh all have a chance for the one spot bc of way better facilities, more coaches and numbers

I think this conference is wide open. This year's PG won't be like the previous two incarnations. I'm interested to see how Shiloh does dropping back down. Pea Ridge should contend as well.

IPROFB

Quote from: OldMule on August 18, 2014, 11:56:29 am
I agree 100% Josh.  I have seen every team in the youth organization have successful years from top to bottom.  It's a mystery to me some can't get it together in high school.  Although this conference has had at least 1 team in the semifinals for the past several years. 
I do believe the coaches wanting their players for a full 10 to 12 months out of the year is definitely part of it.  If you have a competitive athlete in your family you basically have a window of a week in the summer to get any family time in for a vacation or anything these days.  On the other hand, it is no different in the other conferences.  Someone above listed it as "meaning more" to schools from other areas and I couldn't agree more.  Kids are brought up being told how important it is to win in football, football, football.  Up here, it is sometimes a social event.  Either way I Don't see it changing anytime soon.

The culture has changed too.  20 or 30 years ago, Coach Holland was at Farmington and any "Athlete" or anyone who looked like they could contribute was "Recruited" to the team--meaning they were told by the coach, parents, peers, and anyone else that they would be playing football.  Kids were not given an option:  THEY WERE FOOTBALL PLAYERS if the coach told them that they were a football player.  That was also at the same time that baseball didn't exist in schools, and basketball was only something that was done in the winter--and probably coached by one of the football coaches.

Now, baseball is being played as a school sport, and both baseball and basketball are year round sports.   Not that long ago, basketball was NEVER played in the summer, nor was it EVER played in any organized fashion until after football season was over.  It was essentially something to do in the off season.

Then you have to look at realistic expectations.  I'll give a Farmington example (because that is what I am familiar with):  In recent years, there have been ZERO players from Farmington go on to play college ball at any level (and only a handful of players that would have potentially done so), while at the same time, there have been a handful of basketball players playing some kind of college ball, and quite a few playing baseball at some level in college.  Farm has had lots of good athletes, but not very many of them have chosen to play football past their sophomore or junior year (maybe, junior high).

I think that is because there is a high risk of injury playing football, and they have the year round option of playing something else (that option previously did not exist).  It is no wonder that the smaller to mid-size schools have what amounts to a football identity crisis:  The "Good athletes" will have more success in sports where less help is needed, where they don't have to carry the team until they get hurt, and where they have some expectation of playing in some manner at the next level.  At smaller schools where a 5'9" 160# athlete can see playing time on the basketball court and baseball field, football loses. 

Look what has happened at Huntsville: They don't have enough help or interest to really field a decent football team, so the ones that do play, get killed.  For what?  But in a sport like basketball, where 1 or 2 kids plus some good athletes can make a pretty good team, Huntsville does well.  And that is exactly what has happened in the last decade.

Great response.

TIGER101

It's hard to go against PG being picked number 1 in the conference because of the tradition and work ethic of coach Abshier, but Pea Ridge Gravette and Shiloh all have a chance for the one spot bc of way better facilities, more coaches and numbers

Tigerdad2, the field is 120 x 53.3 yards.  Im not sure how the facilities make these 3 teams have a better chance of  finishing 1st.  It didn't effect it the past few years.

Tigerdad2

Being a PG fan we both know the last 3 years was not only the best athletic group of kids but  also the best group of kids, all because of great parents raising the kids and great coaches coaching them. I also know Coach Abshier  does an amazing job with what he has.  All was saying was more coaches and better facilities Does help you . Otherwise why would all these schools upgrade. You know how PR and gravette's facilities were like a few years ago.

Oldbadger

Quote from: TIGER101 on August 18, 2014, 04:06:55 pm

Tigerdad2, the field is 120 x 53.3 yards.  Im not sure how the facilities make these 3 teams have a better chance of  finishing 1st.  It didn't effect it the past few years.
Explain to me the 120 x 53.3 yards?  Also, if Gravette were to get artificial  turf they would have IMO one of the best venues for football around.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 18, 2014, 10:54:52 pm

Explain to me the 120 x 53.3 yards?  Also, if Gravette were to get artificial  turf they would have IMO one of the best venues for football around.
You ever seen the movie Hoosiers? When Gene Hackman pulls out the tape measure at Butler Field House and has them measure the goal and free throw line and says, "I think you'll find those same measurements at our gym back in Hickory..."?

I believe that's what he meant. It doesn't matter how good your facilities are when the ball is kicked off on Friday night. All the fields are the same size and everybody plays by the same rules.

TIGER101

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on August 18, 2014, 07:18:57 pm
Being a PG fan we both know the last 3 years was not only the best athletic group of kids but  also the best group of kids, all because of great parents raising the kids and great coaches coaching them. I also know Coach Abshier  does an amazing job with what he has.  All was saying was more coaches and better facilities Does help you . Otherwise why would all these schools upgrade. You know how PR and gravette's facilities were like a few years ago.

I agree that in some instances there are schools who might have to upgrade to get more involvement from students.  Nice stadiums are something that the schools and communities can be prod of.  I'm not saying that PG doesn't have one.  They did renovate some parts this summer.  I am one who likes the small atmosphere at PG and don't want some big place with a track around it that pushes you further and further away from the field.

TIGER101

Hey Oldbadger,  Hope you are doing better. 

Unless the football Gods has decided to change the dimensions of the field in Arkadelphia, I always assumed that fields are 360' x 160'.  Then they taught us in high school that if you take each of those numbers and figure
there is 3' to a yard you can calculate with some paper and pencil and come out to somewhere close to that number.   ;) ;)  I am a mathematical genius....

Cajun Hog

Quote from: TIGER101 on August 19, 2014, 09:30:21 am

Hey Oldbadger,  Hope you are doing better. 

Unless the football Gods has decided to change the dimensions of the field in Arkadelphia, I always assumed that fields are 360' x 160'.  Then they taught us in high school that if you take each of those numbers and figure
there is 3' to a yard you can calculate with some paper and pencil and come out to somewhere close to that number.   ;) ;)  I am a mathematical genius....

I thought you were a beer drinking genius, not a math geek...  ;D

TIGER101

To be good at one you must be good at the other.  So I practice a lot. .........

Oldbadger

Oh, I see what you are doing Tiger.  You are counting the endzones!!!  For a while there I thought you had grown up in Canada. Actually, when we had turf put on the playing surface we had each yard shortened a few inches.  Our field is really only 80 yards long.  You should see our forty times!LOL. 

Sweetfeet

5.8+ Oldbadger, we're not from south Arkansas

TIGER101

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 19, 2014, 06:27:45 pm
Oh, I see what you are doing Tiger.  You are counting the endzones!!!  For a while there I thought you had grown up in Canada. Actually, when we had turf put on the playing surface we had each yard shortened a few inches.  Our field is really only 80 yards long.  You should see our forty times!LOL.

Do end zones not count in Arkadelphia?

TIGER101

August 20, 2014, 07:25:24 pm #64 Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:28:35 pm by TIGER101
Back on topic......   who will be the best to challenge PG for the 1 spot and why??????????

I'm going to say the unknown in Shiloh,  then Gravette....

I still think Pages Ridge is looking at the 4 unless they can show more consistently. .....

Lionfan

Who really knows on Shiloh they will be different with out josh no matter who they hired, the guy will have big shoes to fill and with out the avenues there use to be to fill them.  Gravette has gotten a bum rap from sanders but what some have obviously have forgotten is the fact that we've got one of the leading rushers in the conference from last year returning.  It was no secret last yr we were going to run the ball and everyone would load the box and he still got the yards.  This yr got a bigger line and sounds like the qb will be the jr that did well throwing the ball in second half of the booneville game, granted it was there second string but three scores on a continuous clock against the state champs not to bad.  Pea ridge has a great qb and the ivy kid running but looking at them in a team camp the line looks to be small.  They have a good sophomore class but hard to win with young kids.  Haven't seen anyone else but im sure that huntsville will do better than their last go in 4a Lincoln will not be the same team it was but will be interesting to see how they turn out adjusting with new coach, rumor has it that gentry only had about 25 on the roster might get a little worn out as time goes on and Berryville have no idea what they will be like.

TIGER101

August 21, 2014, 09:01:13 am #66 Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:03:25 am by TIGER101
Quote from: Lionfan on August 21, 2014, 12:25:09 am
Who really knows on Shiloh they will be different with out josh no matter who they hired, the guy will have big shoes to fill and with out the avenues there use to be to fill them.  Gravette has gotten a bum rap from sanders but what some have obviously have forgotten is the fact that we've got one of the leading rushers in the conference from last year returning.  It was no secret last yr we were going to run the ball and everyone would load the box and he still got the yards.  This yr got a bigger line and sounds like the qb will be the jr that did well throwing the ball in second half of the booneville game, granted it was there second string but three scores on a continuous clock against the state champs not to bad.  Pea ridge has a great qb and the ivy kid running but looking at them in a team camp the line looks to be small.  They have a good sophomore class but hard to win with young kids.  Haven't seen anyone else but im sure that huntsville will do better than their last go in 4a Lincoln will not be the same team it was but will be interesting to see how they turn out adjusting with new coach, rumor has it that gentry only had about 25 on the roster might get a little worn out as time goes on and Berryville have no idea what they will be like.

Lionfan, I really like Gravette a lot.  They are well coached and a great scheme that can run or throw.  I also agree on PR.  I think they are still a year away.  Everyone is putting way to much into their game vs PG last year.  I do think they will be a good offensive team, but they looked really soft on defense a season ago.

zarns

^^^ Don't you have work to do???

TIGER101

Been up since 3:30 am.  Not because I set my alarm that
early either.

cuckoobird

Afraid to sleep in the holding cell?

TIGER101

Noooooo, I'm in there so much I know everyone.  But I do sleep on my back.

Tigerdad2

Gravette , PR and Shiloh will all be close games for PG. I'm going to say Gravette has the best chance of beating them because of there run game. PG's team is built to play the spread because they're smaller but they man up and blitz more than you have to block. That being said, Gravette uses multiple formations but runs right at you. Gravette RB is a good back but he is fumble prone

G-Town38

I haven't posted on here in quite some time. Haven't had many chances to catch any high school games over the past 2 years, and probably won't get to catch many this year. But I am looking forward to catching some of the games. High school football is not necessarily the best display of the sport but it is by far the best display of love for the game. That is why it is my favorite to watch.
I do like the various opinions on where everyone will finish the season, but I have noticed that PG is the overwhelming favorite to win the conference. I will not make a prediction,  but look forward to seeing how it all plays out.
On a side note, the first conference match up happens on September 4th (in a way). Blake Roughton of Pea Ridge will be taking on Darrick Strzelecki of Gravette in a college match up between Southwest Baptist University and William Jewell College.

PGTIGERS09

Quote from: IPROFB on August 18, 2014, 02:05:01 pm
Quote from: OldMule on August 18, 2014, 11:56:29 am

Great response.

I thought Boudery got a scholarship from Farmington?  I'm sure that I spelled his name wrong, sorry about that

TIGER101

August 22, 2014, 11:22:50 pm #74 Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:19:27 am by TIGER101

TIGER101

Tigerdad2

I'm going to start a topic on all the PG players that are 5''9 160 or less bc that's basically PG's team every year and they win games.
two examples PG's best backs the last two years
Sugg 5''8 160 ran a 5.0 forty
and Bartholomew 5''4 160 4.7 forty
So being small is just an excuse not to play football. there's hundreds of kids from PG that I could put in this list

G-Town38

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on August 23, 2014, 07:36:51 am
I'm going to start a topic on all the PG players that are 5''9 160 or less bc that's basically PG's team every year and they win games.
So being small is just an excuse not to play football. there's hundreds of kids from PG that I could put in this list
You could add a couple of kids from Gravette to your list as well. I know of 2 who were 5'7" 160lbs that were a couple of the best to come through Gravette over the last 15 years.

Tigerdad2

Strongly agreed!
Jeff fannell
being one of those two,probably spelled it wrong

G-Town38

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on August 23, 2014, 08:29:56 am
Strongly agreed!

Jeff fannell
being one of those two,probably spelled it wrong

100% correct.

OldMule

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on August 23, 2014, 07:36:51 am

My point is not that smaller-ish kids can't play football.  My "essay" was to answer the question of "why isn't the 1-4a dominant in football?"

And my answer to that is essentially this: Now there are other choices.  Let's face it, as late as the 1970s or even 80s, there weren't many 6'2" 200+ pound kids in high school.  Now, kids that big and bigger are everywhere.  And to play college football at most schools, you have to be either real fast, or real big.  So kids that aren't those things (but who are good athletes) do something else.

At least in Farmington, that means that several kids who are good athletes have chosen to not play football because they don't want to get hurt and not be able to play their sport, or because they wanted to concentrate on their sport.  Heck, in Farm baseball has an indoor facility--that was never an option in the past.  Such options have left the football team a little thinner on athletes than it would have been if those same kids had been around (and would have played football) in the 70s or 80s.

That leaves the kids who really like football only for the football team.  And they have done OK.  But How much better would Farmington have been in recent years if only 6 basketball or baseball athletes plugged a few key spots on the football team? I think they would have been a lot better than they have been.

And in Malvern, or Stuttgart, or Star City.........all there is, is football.

skydog

How did Shiloh do in their scrimmage?

whippersnapper

Saw on a Booneville thread they lost 21-0 to booneville.

skydog

Tomahawk

We're playing Gravette this week.  I'm not too familiar with them.  What type of offense do they run?

beach bum

From my understanding Gravette with their coach is pretty multiple on offense and defense... But last year with the same RB who is not too big but runs way harder than his size they lined up in I formation and run right at you. Thats what I thought at least

Tigerdad2

Gravette will run multiple formations on offense but only a few plays. Behind Abshier, I think Gravette's coach is the second best coach in this conference

The Coach

Quote from: whippersnapper on August 26, 2014, 10:10:35 pm
Saw on a Booneville thread they lost 21-0 to booneville.

That was only 1 qtr as well.

DerekOxford

Lakeside mercy rules Lincoln, 36-0 and it could've been a lot worse.

Looks like it's going to be a long year for the Wolves. They really hurt themselves tonight but Lakeside is a pretty decent 5A team.

4AWhistler

September 03, 2014, 04:34:05 am #89 Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:38:42 am by 4AWhistler
It definitely would have been a more competitive  game last year.  Lakeside took the field with over 60 players and Lincoln dresses right around 30.  The loss of so many seniors and the inability of the team, new coach, or current student body to get more kids to turn out this year is rather disappointing.  Lincoln also has a couple of injuries to key players that were suffered in preseason scrimmages.  This will definitely be a rebuilding year for them.

Lakeside was well coached and had looked good on the field.

You're right, the score could have been much worse, and was it nice to see kids playing that night who don't normally get to see a lot of playing time, especially with the game being at Razorback Stadium.

Tigerdad2

I think Lincoln is going to back to the way they used to be, not rebuilding. Like I said in recent posts, Coach Harris looks like the greatest coach ever. Lincoln had one good class

RamFan06

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on September 03, 2014, 07:08:43 am
I think Lincoln is going to back to the way they used to be, not rebuilding. Like I said in recent posts, Coach Harris looks like the greatest coach ever. Lincoln had one good class

Anyone from Lincoln know why the JR. QB isnt starting? He looked like he was a better player and bit more poised that the SOPH. The younger kid had no chance. No time in the pocket so he was in panic mode most of the game. That was a rough first ever varsity game. I hope he learns from it and doesnt let it get into his head.

4AWhistler

The Jr didn't play football last year.  The Soph started both years as an 8th and 9th grader. 

Monday night, the Jr didn't go in until the 2nd  half, and Lakeview was playing its 2nd string.  As a junior high player, he broke his wrist and missed a year there, too.

I do think there will be a couple of rebuilding years.  Last year's group created a lot of excitement in the younger kids, and we're seeing bigger numbers in PeeWee and Jr High.  Kids are asking coaches for 'that collar the big linebacker wore' and 'that tinted visor that receiver wore'.  Time will tell though.

Oldbadger

Whistler, did Pitts play?  Hard to see numbers on the TV.  I didn't seem to be able to find him?

doober3

Quote from: 4AWhistler on September 03, 2014, 09:42:59 pm
The Jr didn't play football last year.  The Soph started both years as an 8th and 9th grader. 

Monday night, the Jr didn't go in until the 2nd  half, and Lakeview was playing its 2nd string.  As a junior high player, he broke his wrist and missed a year there, too.

I do think there will be a couple of rebuilding years.  Last year's group created a lot of excitement in the younger kids, and we're seeing bigger numbers in PeeWee and Jr High.  Kids are asking coaches for 'that collar the big linebacker wore' and 'that tinted visor that receiver wore'.  Time will tell though.

Tinted Visors are illegal.

4AWhistler

Quote from: Oldbadger on September 04, 2014, 09:27:33 am
Whistler, did Pitts play?  Hard to see numbers on the TV.  I didn't seem to be able to find him?
He had limited play due to the foot injury.  Hoping for a speedy recovery because he's becoming very impatient with it.

TIGER101

Does anyone have any stats on the whooping Charleston put on Shiloh.  I only saw the first few drives and left not being overly impressed with Charleston, but they must have turned it on. after that.

IPROFB

I was told they only ran four or five plays over and over. Shiloh could not stop their running game.

Cajun Hog

Big win for the Cardinals tonight. I can't figure out this PG team. They will get better as season goes on.

TIGER101

Quote from: Cajun Hog on September 05, 2014, 10:50:53 pm
Big win for the Cardinals tonight. I can't figure out this PG team. They will get better as season goes on.

Very strange game, Farmington played like PG and watching PG was like watching Farmington.  Both teams have a lot of work to do.    PG needs to get their O-line and D-line healthy, looked very vulnerable with 2 or 3 missing starters and had zero lineman in the backfield.   Thought Farming did a better job of not panicking and not giving up on the run like they would have in the past.
These two teams did show that neither attended the hydration meeting that the state requires.  :P :P.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas