• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Take 2014: 1-4A

Started by whippersnapper, June 23, 2014, 05:00:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

1:12 (Received Fearless poll votes) Shiloh: The saints had a great year earning 3rd place in the 5 A West. I think the loss of Coach Floyd will hurt some though. Coach Conaway will have some size on the line and a good running back to break in an inexperienced qb.
Also play host to Prairie Grove Week 6. I think the Saints will go 9-3 with a 2nd round playoff loss.
2:14 (#7 Fearless Poll) Prairie Grove: The Tigers are coming off their most successful 3 year run in school history compiling a 30-7 record with back to back undefeated conference championships. So what does that mean for this year? It means that the Tigers will have success but not without some growing pains. Expect a loss to rival Farmington week 1 then the Tigers will also lose their first conference game in two years. I think Prairie Grove will go 8-3 (9 game schedule) with a 2nd round loss in playoffs.
3:22 Gravette: the Lions will improve the record but not by much this year, they only return 6 starters and I have them going 5-6 with a 1st-round playoff loss.
4:37 Lincoln: The wolves are coming off their best record in school history going 11-2 but they simply lose too much to graduation, their head coach taking another job, and taking his son the starting quarterback with him. Coach Davenport can get the wolves back in the playoffs but not yet only be 3-7.
5:30 Pea Ridge: The Blackhawks look to rebound after going 1-9 last year. I have them going 5-6 on the year. They bring back an athletic experienced backfield.
6:31 Huntsville: The Eagles are my sleeper pick for 3rd place in the conference. They have good size on the offensive and defensive line and are gaining a sophomore group that went 9-1 in junior high. 7-4 1st round of playoffs.
7:35 Berryville: the Bobcats are getting better but I feel like they are still 2 years away from real playoff contention I have them going 3-7.
8:45 Gentry: the pioneers lose a lot in all State quarterback Cousins and it will show. 2-8

Cajun Hog

Here is my predication for this year.

1. PG
2. Shiloh
3. Pea Ridge
4. Gravette
5. Huntsville
6. Gentry
7. Lincoln
8. Berryville

TIGER101

1. PG
2. $hiloh
3. Gravette
4. Huntsville
5. Lincoln
6. Pea Ridge
7. Berryville
8. Gentry

4 thru 6 could go either way. 
PG, $hiloh, and Gravette should be the top of the conference,  but this year nothing will be a given.

beach bum

(1)PG (2)Shiloh (3)Gravette (4)Pea Ridge (5)Huntsville (6)Lincoln (7)Berryville (8)Gentry.............. PG vs. Shiloh will be a great game.

TIGER101

July 09, 2014, 09:59:16 pm #4 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:05:34 pm by TIGER101
Quote from: beach bum on July 09, 2014, 05:20:07 am
(1)PG (2)Shiloh (3)Gravette (4)Pea Ridge (5)Huntsville (6)Lincoln (7)Berryville (8)Gentry.............. PG vs. Shiloh will be a great game.

There are 2 unknowns going into next year beach bum.  $hiloh coming back and not knowing for sure what they lost and have returning and then there's Lincoln.  They lost a lot of seniors and QB, plus coach.  I still think PG should win the conference due to their stability, even though they also lost a bit.  In the end Abshier just keeps on truck'n.  PG and Booneville play to their strength as well as anyone in the state.  I am curious to see how Lincoln responds to their new coach.  Will this just be another stepping stone coach of will he dig in and want to stay?

Lionfan

1 pg
2 Gravette
3 Shiloh
4 pr
   Lincoln
6 huntsville
7 gentry
8 Berryville

I think Gravette can do this Shiloh is down and new coach won't have the luxury of freedom as last coach Lincoln has to deal with new coach and new qb that won't be as good as last year.  Pr could be a sleeper will depend on the line qb is a big stud and ivy is back as well. It will be fun watching it unfold that's for sure

CoachS5055

For all of you who have Berryville at 7... The program is in ruins since Daniel left. They have a shot at going 2-8 next year and when I said "a shot" I mean it. Not good

x14113

As a bit of a belated parting gift, here's how I expect the 4A-1 to play out this fall.

Title Favorites: Prairie Grove, Shiloh--This isn't so much a case of why these two can, but rather one of who else could. Had Farmington not moved up, I would've put them here at the least. As it is, the Tigers and Saints are in the best position to fight for the conference crown. Trouble is, the time has finally come for the conference champ to get a first-round bye. How said champ handles it will be telling of the conference's strength this fall.

On the Fence: Lincoln--Last season was the stuff of dreams for the Wolves, securing its first-ever double-digit-win season and quarterfinal appearance, while knocking off a program (Nashville) that more-respected programs have struggled against. The sudden, widespread turnover that's been anticipated can prove very tricky to handle (as Ozark proved last year), but the sudden departure of the HC has turned the entire season into a question mark.  Considering said season will be a benchmark for the program, this may not be for the best.

Fighting for Week 11: Gravette--The Lions have to be frustrated over the last two years.  Last season was especially troubling, proving that a deep senior class alone does not a good team make.  After making the past two playoffs by the skin of their fangs, it'll be up to this still-proud program to pick itself back up into the upper echelon of the conference.

Looking to Surprise: Berryville, Gentry, Huntsville, Pea Ridge--That's right, folks: one of these four teams is going to make the postseason. The only real question is who. The Eagles seem to be in the best position, but they've been cellar-dwellers during their most recent stints in the 5A-West, which isn't something that's guaranteed to turn around overnight. The Blackhawks have some talent moving up, but they'll need development first. The Pioneers are looking to reload after losing their load-bearing QB.  As for the Bobcats, this may be their best chance in almost a decade to clinch a postseason berth, but they must prove themselves to everyone in the conference.

zarns

July 29, 2014, 12:52:59 pm #8 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:00:47 pm by zarns
I think you can break this conference down into three groups.

1. Title contenders (Gravette, PG, Shiloh)
2 Potential surprises (Pea Ridge, Huntsville)
3 Everyone else (Berryville, Lincoln, Gentry)

The first group is obvious, maybe with the exception of Gravette. I like Gravette's RB Duarte a lot... they might finish 3rd but it should be a very competitive third.

The second group might cause some to roll their eyes. I like Pea Ridge... Their QB is a good young player and they always seem to find a TB that runs for 1000 yards. I don't think 7 wins is unreachable for them.

I watched PG play Huntsville in a scrimmage early last year. They were competitive, the Eagles should have beaten Farmington in the opener last September. 5A was clearly too much for them but it wouldn't shock me to see them win 5 this year and sneak into the playoffs.

The third group... we're going to know a lot about Lincoln after their first game. If they are in it, they could be on to something. However, logic tells me... 7 starters back off of an historic year and a new coaching staff?? Yikes. This team won 12 games between 2007-2013.

To me Lincoln looked like the 2012 Pea Ridge team that won 9 regular season games and then won only 2 last year. Clearly I'm in the minority, and that's okay. The vocal majority seems to think they will be right back in it this year... I hope I'm wrong, the Lincoln/PG game was a lot of fun last year.

The good news for Lincoln is, seventh and eighth in the conference are locked up. So, four wins feels about right.

If you're scoring at home... conference records only

1 PG 6-1/Shiloh 6-1
3 Gravette 5-2
4 Pea Ridge/Huntsville 4-3
6 Lincoln 2-5
7 Berryville 1-6
8 Gentry 0-7

hillbilly

I agree. I think PR could surprise some people. They have a very good sophomore group coming up.

IPROFB

I saw Lincoln at the Harrison Team Camp. They do not look anything like last years Lincoln team. That being said, no one knows how many potential starters were not in camp. Dover Dominated them if that gives you any idea about what they look like before the season starts. Dover will NOT be a push over this season! They looked very impressive!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hillbilly on July 29, 2014, 04:26:25 pm
I agree. I think PR could surprise some people. They have a very good sophomore group coming up.

I agree they (PR) will be the surprise team this season. The Soph. class has some talent in it.

TIGER101

Cajun,  you know you don't win High School football games with sophmores.  If anything they cost you football games.   

Oldbadger

Quote from: IPROFB on July 29, 2014, 05:36:27 pm
I saw Lincoln at the Harrison Team Camp. They do not look anything like last years Lincoln team. That being said, no one knows how many potential starters were not in camp. Dover Dominated them if that gives you any idea about what they look like before the season starts. Dover will NOT be a push over this season! They looked very impressive!
From what I hear Dover, by switching to a Wing-T, will win some games this year.  Supposedly was very impressive against most of the teams.  They have the size and the QB will be able to do some things this year.  How is their defense?   I don't know. But it was not impressive last year.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: TIGER101 on July 31, 2014, 12:25:12 pm
Cajun,  you know you don't win High School football games with sophmores.  If anything they cost you football games.

I agree but they have a few that grown man size.  ;D  Plus they had PG beat LY until the fumble and beat Farmington handily LY.  I like this team!!

TIGER101

Quote from: Cajun Hog on July 31, 2014, 02:06:48 pm

I agree but they have a few that grown man size.  ;D  Plus they had PG beat LY until the fumble and beat Farmington handily LY.  I like this team!!

Cajun,  Let these numbers resonate 25-20............  that team you like, lost by that score to BERRYVILLE  last year !!!!!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: TIGER101 on July 31, 2014, 04:57:06 pm

Cajun,  Let these numbers resonate 25-20............  that team you like, lost by that score to BERRYVILLE  last year !!!!!

dang Tiger I didn't say I was smart, just for some reason I think they will surprise people.  ; ;D  The bottom is so bad someone has to be the surprise team.

TIGER101

July 31, 2014, 11:43:26 pm #17 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:56:56 pm by TIGER101
Quote from: Cajun Hog on July 31, 2014, 08:37:00 pm
Quote from: TIGER101 on July 31, 2014, 04:57:06 pm

dang Tiger I didn't say I was smart, just for some reason I think they will surprise people.  ; ;D  The bottom is so bad someone has to be the surprise team.

Yes you are correct,,,,,,  lol lol,,,  You just can't depend on PR.....  to inconsistent for me......  you should never bet on a team that is up and down that much.,.  I also had them picked high at first, just to inconsistent.  ask PG how depending on sophs are???  You can compete but hard to win when the big games count...

How will the Cards come out this year.  did all the young ones stay or leave???  I hear some left for other towns and schools..  Sorry to see Farmington leave..  will take some glamour out of that game, but glad football is back

armchajrhog5

Quote from: Oldbadger on July 31, 2014, 12:36:48 pm
Quote from: IPROFB on July 29, 2014, 05:36:27 pm
From what I hear Dover, by switching to a Wing-T, will win some games this year.  Supposedly was very impressive against most of the teams.  They have the size and the QB will be able to do some things this year.  How is their defense?   I don't know. But it was not impressive last year.

From what I understand the Dover  offense and defense is much improved. It is either 2 or 3 camps they have been to and what the players are saying they have been more than competitive on  both sides of the ball against everyone they scrimmaged. I saw the Harrison camp replay  on the school website and they certainly looked good against everyone they faced there.
They have a very very good JR. class that was pretty much their starters last year as 10th graders. This class  has been together from peewees on thru jr. high and had never had a losing season and only a couple of  games  that entire time before last year. Basically the Dover team last year was all 15 and 16  year olds playing against 17 and 18 year olds .And that never works out well no matter how big or good they are. The line on both sides of the ball are all back and  are all bigger-stronger and  and a year older. They got 2 seniors back that was injured[one is the quarterback] and missed all last year
Apparently  they have also  learned how to defend the pass-everyone threw for a ton of yards on them last year. If they can carry this over into the season it should make for some good match ups in 4-4a this year. With Booneville and Mena gone who knows what will happen.

Cajun Hog

Tiger01, what do U think is the strengths and weakness of PG this year?  Any Soph going to play a bigger role this year?

TIGER101

August 02, 2014, 11:44:55 pm #20 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:23:05 am by TIGER101
This group will have more playing experience than some will realize.   They played in half the games after half time due to blowouts the past 2 years.  They have the best player in the conference returning in Catt on both sides of the ball.  The line will be the strong point, returning 3 or 4 players who played significant rolls.  Having been in the same offense since 3rd grade always help.  Stability is always the key in PG.

IMO only, I want to see how the skill position players perform.  They have lost the entire backfield the past 2 years. They will have replace a halfback speed guy who always got to the corner in Bartholomew, a very good versatile player in Speed and a fullback who understood the position as well as anyone in Sugg and Storlie who ran the show at qb.  I still believe they will be fine with Lopez, and Catt.  I really like those two.  Like I have said in the past the QB spot will be a huge part of it all coming together.  They have no experience returning in that position but have a 2 kids who will battle it out in the early part of the year.  I believe Dodd will take over in that spot before the first few games. 

As far as the sophs coming up, look for Orr to play roll on defense and get a little action on offense to spell some breathers in the backfield for Lopez.

In all, this team will most definitely contend but not sure if going undefeated in conference will be something that will happen,  but wouldn't be surprised if they did either.

Still looking for the answer about the farmington kids who stayed or left?

Nip/Tusk

Pg has had more off-field challenges than they'll face in the conference this year.....rumor has it.

cuckoobird

TIGER101

Nip/Tusk

They're gonna have more coaches than players sounds like.

whippersnapper

Job will be open after the season. No reason not to have consistent  success at Farmington being that close to Fayetteville. 

TIGER101

Quote from: whippersnapper on August 03, 2014, 01:21:39 pm
Job will be open after the season. No reason not to have consistent  success at Farmington being that close to Fayetteville.

Whippersnapper the only way that job is open is if he steps down.  He's in to tight with the upper decision makers at the school.

Nip/Tusk

101, you're not suggesting that politics are in play with our friends to the north are you?  How dare you!  Lol

TIGER101

Quote from: Josh Louin on August 03, 2014, 03:31:58 pm
101, you're not suggesting that politics are in play with our friends to the north are you?  How dare you!  Lol

Well since nobody else in this conference wants to talk about football we have to fall back to Farmtown.

TIGER101

And "YES"  it's in every school

IPROFB

I think there might be a couple of surprise teams in the conference. PG and Shiloh will be one and two but after that I don't think any team has a lock on a playoff position. Huntsville is the real wildcard IMO, they could finish as high as 3rd or at the bottom. One thing is for sure, they will play hard in every game.

TIGER101

Quote from: IPROFB on August 03, 2014, 04:01:50 pm
I think there might be a couple of surprise teams in the conference. PG and Shiloh will be one and two but after that I don't think any team has a lock on a playoff position. Huntsville is the real wildcard IMO, they could finish as high as 3rd or at the bottom. One thing is for sure, they will play hard in every game.

To be honest the conference needs some new blood to step up and be consistent.   We thought that was going to be Lincoln but I think they are going to stuck as a one year deal and done.

Nip/Tusk

Honest question, why is the conference so bad most years?

Seems like the conference has been above average  in baseball and basketball but football has struggled to have that competitive balance. Now that I think of it, baseball has been pretty top heavy too hasn't it.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on August 03, 2014, 04:40:48 pm
Honest question, why is the conference so bad most years?

Seems like the conference has been above average  in baseball and basketball but football has struggled to have that competitive balance. Now that I think of it, baseball has been pretty top heavy too hasn't it.

IMO the schools (ALL) are going year around in very sport and the coaches (ALL) want the kids to play just that sport. The size of all these schools don't have enough kids to just focus on 1 sport.
Look at how many kids are in off-season basketball and baseball and not playing football. You have have good athletes in off season during FB season. 

Nip/Tusk

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying Cajun. Are you saying there's not enough kids playing football? 

I gues I'm trying to figure out why the conference has had much more parity in basketball than in football and baseball. Or at least seems that way.

whippersnapper

I think its a lack of tradition mostly. Farmington is the only local school I can recall that has won a state championship in football and that was in the 70s. NWA wasn't the place to live in like it is now. Also I have noticed at least the last 2 local small schools to have coaching opening's they have promoted from within. That being WF and Elkins. Now am I saying thats bad? No not at all but just there isn't much change in direction when you do that. Nothing brand new or fresh. So I would say just lack of tradition which leads to lack of expectations. But with the area growing and talent pool getting better I think in no time could a local town win a championship and bring confidence to the other schools.

Nip/Tusk

Solid post snapper. And if you're just talking state titles, then yes the football and basketball is about even.

Maybe just in my head who knows. Lol

whippersnapper

Also another thing that just popped into my mind is lack of pressure. Look at Nashville, Newport, Malvern, Stuttgart..there is pressure to win there. And if you don't you will wake up with for sale signs in your yard. None of that in NWA. Up there if you make a run in the playoffs every 5-6 years you'll keep your job.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on August 03, 2014, 05:11:52 pm
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying Cajun. Are you saying there's not enough kids playing football? 

I gues I'm trying to figure out why the conference has had much more parity in basketball than in football and baseball. Or at least seems that way.

Let's try this way.
PG - Is a football and baseball school. Hoops have taken the hit with kids skipping Hoops season to focus on football and baseball.
Farmington - this year 23 kids in off season hoops and 18 plus in off season baseball. So FB has has same issue as PG Hoops, kids not playing a key sport.
PR has kids playing hoops and baseball not FB.

Nip/Tusk

August 03, 2014, 06:46:17 pm #39 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:50:33 pm by Josh Louin
I understand that. But even saying that, pg has still managed to have some pretty good hoop teams in the past decade or so.

Many of the teams in conference can't find any success in football though and I don't understand why.

With the sheer number of students farmington has, they should be at the top of the conference (4a) in all those sports including football.

My opinion of why pg is mainly a football/baseball school is because it is instilled in the kids at a very early age. Not sure why a lot of those kids that could help in hoops don't stick with it. (I have my suspicions) Numbers are pretty meaningless if you don't have the right ones out there.

What's the reason for farmington not being a football school right now?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on August 03, 2014, 06:46:17 pm
I understand that. But even saying that, pg has still managed to have some pretty good hoop teams in the past decade or so.

I know PG has had good hoops teams. My point was with some of the kids not playing hoops, if they had paled would have had really great teams. 

There is always a group (team) that takes a hit on numbers.

cuckoobird

That was not a troll post tiger. I think you exaggerated with your post and I called it out

TIGER101

I agree 100% Josh.  I have seen every team in the youth organization have successful years from top to bottom.  It's a mystery to me some can't get it together in high school.  Although this conference has had at least 1 team in the semifinals for the past several years. 
I do believe the coaches wanting their players for a full 10 to 12 months out of the year is definitely part of it.  If you have a competitive athlete in your family you basically have a window of a week in the summer to get any family time in for a vacation or anything these days.  On the other hand, it is no different in the other conferences.  Someone above listed it as "meaning more" to schools from other areas and I couldn't agree more.  Kids are brought up being told how important it is to win in football, football, football.  Up here, it is sometimes a social event.  Either way I Don't see it changing anytime soon.

TIGER101

Quote from: cuckoobird on August 04, 2014, 07:12:59 am
That was not a troll post tiger. I think you exaggerated with your post and I called it out

Heaven forbid someone over exaggerate a post on FF...lol

TIGER101

In this conference I think he did get there almost every time. ..lol

cuckoobird

Quote from: TIGER101 on August 04, 2014, 07:35:58 am
In this conference I think he did get there almost every time. ..lol
better!

x14113

Check out what the RPS thinks of the 4A-1 on the Top 10 board.

I know a few folks that won't be happy...

Lionfan

This I will say if he's just looking at returning starters to come up with those predictions I can see how he got them but he's truly underestimating the ability of the coaching staff and what they can do.  Gravette hasn't finished last in conference play in I don't know how many years and not going to start now.  Tradition runs deep and under the helm of Coach Bill Harrelson so does making the playoffs.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: x14113 on August 12, 2014, 08:45:37 pm
Check out what the RPS thinks of the 4A-1 on the Top 10 board.

I know a few folks that won't be happy...
I think he uses some sort of computer program, his "predictions" are way off a lot of the time.

Tigerdad2

It's hard to go against PG being picked number 1 in the conference because of the tradition and work ethic of coach Abshier, but Pea Ridge Gravette and Shiloh all have a chance for the one spot bc of way better facilities, more coaches and numbers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas