• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport

Started by Wolffan05, July 08, 2016, 07:01:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolffan05

Thoughts on Newport this year?

birddawg1986

Could be a sleeper. It helps dropping down 3A. If you can beat Rivercest & Hoxie you will probably win the conference. Think Hootens had them picked 4th with 6/5 staters returning. Look out for the greyhounds to surprise

Razorhummer

The Hounds dropping down to 3A helps them a lot. I think they will have a much better season than last season. They had the talent last season but didn't have the numbers to compete with most of the big 4A schools in the 2-4A and had too many distractions as well last season. Going to Gosnell and GCT and then get old conference rival Lonoke at home before starting conference play will test them. Hoxie will be tough as usual, Manila didn't have a bad team last season and Walnut Ridge had a good year in class 2A. I think Newport's toughest games will be when they travel to Mississippi County back to back to play Rivercrest and old rival Osceola. I believe the last time the Hounds beat the Seminoles was in 1997. I know within the next few years they will have a great team if them group of kids can stay together.

sprained ankle

Newport will be young this year with only 5 or 6 seniors on the team. The coaches are trying to change the culture at Newport and get the program on track again. Speed abounds with the Hounds but the team will be young. The future looks bright.

Coltfan2005

The Colts will wear shades.  ;D

Paperman

Welcome back to conference 3. Osceola and Rivercrest have both had some great rivalries with the Greyhounds in the past. I think the lack of success last year was just a small blemish. If the current staff can change the culture, the Greyhounds could rise to the top of the 3 in rapid fashion. Not sure about depth there, but the underclassmen will have to step up to make the team real successful this season. But, as it has been said, the future could be bright. Best of luck to Newport!

biker_harley87

Newport goes to Gosnell 1st game and wins or makes it a close game. Newport will do just fine at 6/4 maybe 5/5, make playoffs, 5/2 conference. Be good for building year.

sprained ankle

The Hounds showed some promise in a scrimmage game vs. Valley View 42-14. They should be competitive in the 3-a conference.   

birddawg1986

Quote from: biker_harley87 on August 24, 2016, 01:05:17 am
Newport goes to Gosnell 1st game and wins or makes it a close game. Newport will do just fine at 6/4 maybe 5/5, make playoffs, 5/2 conference. Be good for building year.
This was always a very good matchup back in there ole NEA YFL days...

Paperman

Should be a real tight game. Could go either way!

HeberFan

We've battled the Hounds for years.... they'll be tough.

sprained ankle

The Hounds should be very competitive in 3a. Should have a good measuring stick when they travel to Gosnell.

HeberFan

I'd like to see the Hounds spank Osceola again, for old time's sake. And also, as a reminder of the class Bill Keedy brought to those games.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: sprained ankle on September 01, 2016, 05:56:06 am
The Hounds should be very competitive in 3a. Should have a good measuring stick when they travel to Gosnell.

Playing a 4A team should be a good measuring stick for playing in the 3A?

Head Lion

I think they are for real.

sprained ankle

Newport turned the ball over 4 times inside the 20 twice inside the 5 in the second half against Gosnell. Buckle up as someone said the Hounds are coming and are for real.

HeberFan

Play a clean game and Newport can give lots of teams a tussle.

sprained ankle

Go Hounds. Better get the shades out.

Baller_34

I believe this conference is Newports to lose now. I don't see anyone taking them down but maybe Piggot but who knows.

mtindian42

GO HOUNDS! These boys are rolling...

ISU7

Quote from: Baller_34 on October 01, 2016, 08:13:31 am
I believe this conference is Newports to lose now. I don't see anyone taking them down but maybe Piggot but who knows.
That's why you play the game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas