• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitch/Gus Thread Heap All new thread will end up here.

Started by RGP, January 14, 2007, 11:24:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you believe is the closest factual reason for Gus's departure?

Gus & Houston just didn't get along
10 (10.5%)
Gus is simply climbing(though debatable) the ladder
7 (7.4%)
Houston "misrepresented" to Gus his responsiblities
25 (26.3%)
Gus was told the truth, but failed to impact like he wanted
5 (5.3%)
Houston fired Gus
3 (3.2%)
It just wasn't going to work, differences to significant
13 (13.7%)
Houston is completely at fault
32 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: January 25, 2007, 02:53:24 pm

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Bogey on January 15, 2007, 11:13:31 am
Who will be the next "O.C."?

Barry Lunney, Mike Malham, Bernie Cox, Don Campbell??

;)
Jeff Holt.

RD™

Quote from: Col. Trautman Gtown10 on January 15, 2007, 11:05:35 am
Who can blame Gus? Seriously. For the dude who said it's Gus's fault for wanting to go to Tulsa over Arkansas...give me a break. It was evident throughout the season that Gus wasn't hired to be the OC. He was hired strictly for the purpose of bringing in the Springdale players. By the way, this is a huge NCAA infraction. I wouldn't be surprised to see an investigation now. Some of you Hog fans need to get over yourselves. Some of you, RD included, I truly feel for you. When you support a team it's hard when you constantly get screwed around.
Oh I know, the NCAA will insert there nose soon and say uhm Frank? Why did these kids from Springdale High School jump ship after your Offensive Coordinator went somewhere else? We need to talk.

I almost wish, that our program would be investigated and maybe that would be the way out for Houston Nutt. I can't describe in words how much I hate this man, I normally don't hate anyone, but I hate this man, and I despise Frank Broyles, and I don't give two fricks what the Old Frick has done for the U of A, he has overstayed his visit and he needs to go.

The whole program needs to be cleaned out, and if that means years of suck so be it, but at least it's not with Nutt/Broyles pulling the strings. What little fans of Houston Nutt had, are gone, also what support the U of A had for Football...IS GONE!

RD™

On Razor's Edge they are reporting David Lee will be named Off Coordinator today. Good deal, he has to get out there and save what recruits we can before Gus can steal them from U of A.

RGP

kylerocks5000

ya'll are all morons that have nothing better to due
Who do ya'll think we are USC

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: Way_of_the_West on January 15, 2007, 11:21:18 am
ya'll are all morons that have nothing better to due
Who do ya'll think we are USC

At least us morons can SPELL....it is DO not DUE

Now..as stated above..David Lee is being reported to have the job...with it being reported this soon...there is also word going around that Gus was FIRED from the Arkansas staff..if it is true that Lee is being named this soon into it..then it may be true that Gus was ired.

Majique™

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on January 15, 2007, 09:55:47 am
Quote from: Raider3 on January 15, 2007, 09:40:02 am
so what current player or recruit will go to Tulsa?  any guesses?
Only any WR more than likely. The RBs will still want to play for us because they more than likely aren't coming to run Malzahn's style.
I wouldn't be so sure, how many yards did Mahlzan's back(s) have at Springdale?  Especially when you figure in the dump off pass to the RB.

Footballer

And Arkansas of being the joke of college football continues.

RD™

Frick Razorback Football. Frick Nutt threeve times. Frick Frank Broyles. Frick the Murray State Mafia.

RGP

Anyone have a link to the Buzz...I heard they were talking about it....

kylerocks5000

due due due due due due due due due

thebigshot

Is Mitch leaving for Tulsa also ?

44killer

Gus is a fool if he was smart he would stick around and coach Jones and McFadden and monk.I think Gus scared that every one in the sec figured his offense out so he left for he wouldn't look bad how Gus ran the offense i could have done that all he did was run run and run pass run run an run

Majique™

RHS

Say whatever you want, but it is a step backwards for the one leaving. How much of his offense do you think he will get to run being a co-oc?

And RD good buddy, we will not get a NCAA investigation.

thebigshot

Quote from: Dipset-Hughes on January 15, 2007, 11:38:21 am
Gus is a fool if he was smart he would stick around and coach Jones and McFadden and monk.I think Gus scared that every one in the sec figured his offense out so he left for he wouldn't look bad how Gus ran the offense i could have done that all he did was run run and run pass run run an run

He didn't want to be around Nutt and Frank. He would have been a fool if he would have stayed around them. I think he did a good move. Nutt can not keep good coaches or good players.

The day Arkansas get rid of Nutt I will be an Arkansas fan, until then I'm sticking with LSU.

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: TheBigShot on January 15, 2007, 11:38:11 am
Is Mitch leaving for Tulsa also ?

There is Speculation..but if it is true that we got David Lee...who cares..Lee is DEFINATLLY a step up.

Footballer

Quote from: RHS on January 15, 2007, 11:40:13 am
Say whatever you want, but it is a step backwards for the one leaving. How much of his offense do you think he will get to run being a co-oc?

Probably more of it than he was allowed to run at AR.

Infamous

Gus accepted Tulsa's offer because he wants the opportunity to run his style of offense without any interferences from an egotistical head coach.

That sounds more enticing than being the "offensive coordinator" of a team where your playcalling is handcuffed, and you have to have your play pre-approved from a sheet of pre-approved plays.

ARKANSAS

Wake up.  Gus didn't run the, or his, offense.  What will you do in two years when McFadden is gone and you can't recruit anyone because it's out now that Nutts is out of his mind?  Time for Nutts and his whacko mentor Frank B. to GO.  I guess the Music City Bowl will look GOOD then. 

RisonRacingFan

I cant believe the idiocy Im seeing this morning.."Im going to cheer for Tulsa now thatGus is leaving..Frick Arkansas" You people are proving ESPN right.."They are bigger fans of Springdale and its people than they are of the Razorbacks" That was in a ESPN article around the time of the Bowl Game.

Footballer

I think that's mostly rage talking. I'll never quit being a razorback fan, but I can't help but to get so ticked off at the people in charge that I think about it.

gameoflife

Not alot of loss.  Malzahn leaves and he will have to prove himself as a winner at Tulsa now.  IF he doesn't what will be the reason?  That head coach did him wrong?  As for players leaving, if it is a question about why they came to UA, don't you think it will be more obvious if they go to Tulsa?   If nutt wins now, you'll have to acknowledge it, if he losses, then he has no one to blame. 
all that group is on their own now, Sink or Swim and lets see what happens.

SandLizard04

January 15, 2007, 11:56:10 am #74 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:59:18 am by Ramblin' Man
Quote from: Rison Tradition on January 15, 2007, 11:23:06 am
there is also word going around that Gus was FIRED from the Arkansas staff..if it is true that Lee is being named this soon into it..then it may be true that Gus was ired.
I'm sure that's what the Arkansas media will try to say. Surely not even a dumba$$ as big as Nutt wouldn't be dumb enough to fire the national coordinator of the year. Dale will lie any way he can to save his image, just as he has done time and time before.

I'm reminded of why I hate everything about the University of Arkansas.

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: Ramblin' Man on January 15, 2007, 11:56:10 am
Quote from: Rison Tradition on January 15, 2007, 11:23:06 am
there is also word going around that Gus was FIRED from the Arkansas staff..if it is true that Lee is being named this soon into it..then it may be true that Gus was ired.
I'm sure that's what the Arkansas media will try to say. Surely not even a dumba$$ as big as Nutt wouldn't be dumb enough to fire the national coordinator of the year. Nutt will lie any way he can to save his image, just as he has done time and time before.

I'm reminded of why I hate everything about the University of Arkansas.

Well...if the U of A already has a replacement named...wouldnt you think that they possibly fired Gus...could it be over the parents goind to the AD..perhaps that hacked Broyles off.

gameoflife

That entire group has just been a problem from day 1. Maybe things will settle down a bit.

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: endrun on January 15, 2007, 12:01:12 pm
That entire group has just been a problem from day 1. Maybe things will settle down a bit.

Ive got to agree with that.I personally hope he takes Mustain and his Media Circus Mom with him.

Majique™

Quote from: RHS on January 15, 2007, 11:40:13 amHow much of his offense do you think he will get to run being a co-oc?
Probably as much as he wants since he's the Asst Head Coach AND the co-offensive coordinator.  Not to mention the other co-offensive coordinator was the tight end coach at West Virginia...yup, lotsa HUNH offense there.  And Graham wants the HUNH offense installed asap and uses as Tulsa's primary offensive set.  Gus is in heaven!

ARKANSAS

Quote from: endrun on January 15, 2007, 12:01:12 pm
Oh it will settle down now. Down to the Music City bowl for years MAYBE.  Big loss.  Lets review now.  The only thing we do know is you have McFadden one more year and Houston Nutts through 2012.  Boy that looks good.  Tier 2 school just went tier 3 in my mind.   I hope Houston and Frank B stay for years and the Hogs are 5 - 5 each year.  It's why it's NOT a big time program.

Majique™

January 15, 2007, 12:10:24 pm #80 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:13:15 pm by Majique™
Quote from: SCS-2006 on January 15, 2007, 12:08:29 pm
Houston Nutts through 2012. 
That's his contract but it doesn't mean he'll be here til then. David Lee is coming in and will be Head Coach by 2009.  UofA will buy out HDN's contract and send him packing...and rightfully so!  Frank is hiring Lee, Nutt isn't!

gameoflife

I'm willing to bet that UA has a better record and gets a better bowl bid next season than Tulsa.   

Majique™

Quote from: endrun on January 15, 2007, 12:10:53 pm
I'm willing to bet that UA has a better record and gets a better bowl bid next season than Tulsa.  
Care to make the same bet for 2008?  LOL.

HA_Fan

So the obvious question is if you are the offensive coordinator at a top 25 school in the SEC, why would you leave to be the co-offensive coordinator at a middle-of-the-road school in Conference USA?

Does anyone still think he had much control over play calling or the offense?

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on January 15, 2007, 12:14:17 pm
So the obvious question is if you are the offensive coordinator at a top 25 school in the SEC, why would you leave to be the co-offensive coordinator at a middle-of-the-road school in Conference USA?

Gus has never stayed anywhere too long..look at his record.

Majique™

He is also Tulsa's new ASST HEAD COACH.  Guess not a lot of folks know about that.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Rison Tradition on January 15, 2007, 12:15:29 pm
Gus has never stayed anywhere too long..look at his record.

Yes, but the steps have been upward.  Tulsa shouldn't be a move up.

Quote from: Majique™ on January 15, 2007, 12:17:21 pm
He is also Tulsa's new ASST HEAD COACH.  Guess not a lot of folks know about that.

It's still Tulsa.  If it was the head coaching job, I wouldn't question it.

gameoflife

So he is still answerable to someone else, and he has a co-coordinator.  Three minds to mess it up.    Hey it's Tulsa, way down the list on the school of major football schools. 
I'll bet that if McFadden stays they play in a better bowl in 2008 yes.  And I'll consider just a bet on that, let me think a few minutes.  I have to take a look at strength of schedule and see how many high school teams Tulsa is playing.

Scorpius

I havent seen the report that he is the Asst. Coach but on the bottom line on ESPN and on ESPNEWS it says that Joe Schad reports that Arkansas Offensive Coordinator Gus Malzahn has aggreed to become the Co-offensive coordinator for the University of Tulsa.

Majique™

Quote from: endrun on January 15, 2007, 12:20:58 pm
So he is still answerable to someone else, and he has a co-coordinator.  Three minds to mess it up.    Hey it's Tulsa, way down the list on the school of major football schools. 
I'll bet that if McFadden stays they play in a better bowl in 2008 yes.  And I'll consider just a bet on that, let me think a few minutes.  I have to take a look at strength of schedule and see how many high school teams Tulsa is playing.
I'm thinking there'll be some NCAA sanctions by that time for improprieties.

BTW, why do folks automatically assume Gus left on his own free will.  You'll hear in the next day or two he was "dismissed".

HA_Fan

Quote from: Dawg Pound '07 on January 15, 2007, 12:22:26 pm
I havent seen the report that he is the Asst. Coach but on the bottom line on ESPN and on ESPNEWS it says that Joe Schad reports that Arkansas Offensive Coordinator Gus Malzahn has aggreed to become the Co-offensive coordinator for the University of Tulsa.

Tulsa's official athletic website says he is also Assistant Head Coach.

http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011507aaa.html

not ray

I have to laugh at the above post calling him the National Coordinator of the year.  That was by Rivals.com and that as far as naming for National Awards is pretty dang small.  Had he won the Broyles award it might have meant a little more.  Fact is this school was around big time football long before Gus was even thought of a high school coach.  It is big time and remain that way for a long time.  I am pretty sure it will survive the losing of a former high school coach after only on year.  I don't disagree that Gus is not a good coach, but a lot of folks need to get off their knees and stop worshipping Gus and his abilities.  I just wonder when Rev. Floyd made his announcement last year right after Gus was hired by Arkansas that he felt Gus was ordained to call plays for the Hogs.  I wonder if God gave him an over under on the amount of time he would stay.  Another thought might be I wonder how many recruits Gus had on the line now feel as if the were "lied to" or "sold a bill of goods"?  Just a thought.

RisonRacingFan

January 15, 2007, 12:26:01 pm #92 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:27:46 pm by Rison Tradition
Beck has spoken...ESPN Article was updated
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2731782
Quote"This breaks my heart," Campbell said. "We're going to have to sit down and talk about it. Classes start tomorrow and I don't know what he'll do."

Campbell said her son will not necessarily follow Malzahn to Tulsa, if he opts to transfer.

"He and Gus are not tied at the hip," Campbell said. "But he knows what he's capable of and what his vision for offensive football at Arkansas was. Now you'll have to wonder if that will go by the wayside."

nfblaze

I said all season that he did NOT call the plays. Gus did not care about money, or else he wouldn't have made this move. If this doesn't open some of your eyes I don't know what will. Houston NUTT is PATHETIC..He didn't let him install his offense, which was pretty much the same offense that won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP..People need to realize that Nutt is bringing this program down. Damian Williams transferred for a reason, more details will come out once Malzahn goes on record.

Majique™

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on January 15, 2007, 12:25:27 pm
Quote from: Dawg Pound '07 on January 15, 2007, 12:22:26 pm

Tulsa's official athletic website says he is also Assistant Head Coach.

http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011507aaa.html
"University of Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn was named assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at The University of Tulsa today, Golden Hurricane Head Coach Todd Graham announced today."

nfblaze

There is a reason why Wood, Malzahn, and even Markuson was looking to get out. If Nutt gains playcalling again, we are in for a RUDE awakening..More like the past 9years..He's out at the end of next season.

gameoflife

Do you think that the Malzahn offense wasn't installed because the QB's couldn't throw or read a defense?   
Hey, all you Gus bus lovers, have what you want.  If they win big, I'll congratualte him, if he doesn't are you going to lay blame? 
Tulsa is a program already on the winning track, Kragthrope had it winning an in the right direction for th past 4 years, so don't go on about how Gus is saving the probram or building it.  They have to do better than the average 7 wins a year to be better.   We will see.

infinity41

Where does David Lee coach right now?

not ray

I think maybe Gus was smart enough to see that with 2 sub-par QBs and one standout WR that tossing the ball 30 times a game would be a waste.  Lets just say that they did throw on average 30 times a game.  How do you really think they would have done given the way they threw the ball 15 times each game?  Taking away 15 carries from McFadden and Jones each game man that would have been genuis.

Majique™

Quote from: infinity41 on January 15, 2007, 12:35:24 pm
Where does David Lee coach right now?
David Lee enters into his fourth season with the Cowboys as an offensive assistant, overseeing the team's quality control efforts and working closely with the quarterbacks. He has helped guide the fortunes of three different starting quarterbacks in each of his three previous seasons: Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe. Each player threw for over 3,000 yards, including Bledsoe's 3,639 last season - the second best total in club history.

In 2005, Lee worked with quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who completed 300-of-499 passes for 3,639 yards and 23 touchdowns - the most since Troy Aikman threw 23 in 1992. Bledsoe finished the season with a passer rating of 83.7 which was the third best of his 13-year career. He continued to work with young back-up quarterbacks Tony Romo, who won the number two spot after a training camp battle with Drew Henson.

In 2004, Vinny Testaverde stepped into the starting signal caller role and finished the year with the third most passing yards (3,532) in club history. Lee's continual work with the mechanics of Tony Romo and Drew Henson had both prepared to serve as the team's second quarterback throughout the season.

His work with Quincy Carter in 2003 helped the Cowboys offense finish 15th overall in the NFL - a huge improvement from the 31st spot the club held in 2002 - while making their first playoff appearance since the 1999 season.

Lee came to Dallas with 28 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level, including five as a head coach (1989-93 at Texas El Paso) and eight as an offensive coordinator. During his career, nine of his former quarterbacks were drafted or signed as free agents in the NFL following their collegiate careers.

Prior to arriving in Dallas, Lee served as the quarterbacks coach at the University of Arkansas for two seasons, helping the Razorbacks to the 2002 Southeastern Conference Western Division title. In 2002, his work with Matt Jones saw the Arkansas quarterback throw for 1,413 yards and 16 touchdowns, the then fourth highest season total in Arkansas history. Jones - a 2005 first round draft choice of the Jacksonville Jaguars - also finished his career at Arkansas atop the SEC's all-time rushing list for quarterbacks.

Before moving to Arkansas, Lee served seven seasons at Rice University. In his tenure at Rice as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, the Owls racked up six of the school's top rushing totals. Rice ranked in the top 10 nationally in rushing three times during his stay. He also helped lead the Owls to a share of the Southwest Conference title in 1994 and their first win over Texas since 1965.

Lee was the head coach at Texas El Paso from 1989-93. He moved to UTEP after his first stint at the University of Arkansas, where he served as quarterbacks coach. Lee was part of Razorback teams that sported a 45-15-1 record and earned five straight bowl appearances. Included in that run was the 1986 season in which Arkansas quarterbacks threw just two interceptions (a SWC record) while helping the Hogs to a 10-2 record and an Orange Bowl appearance. Promoted to offensive coordinator in 1988, Lee helped engineer the Hogs first Southwest Conference title in nine years with an offensive unit that featured a pair of All-SWC sophomores, quarterback Quinn Grovey and fullback Barry Foster.

Lee began his coaching career at Tennessee-Martin (1975-76), where he tutored quarterbacks and receivers. After spending one season at Vanderbilt (1977) as quarterbacks coach, Lee moved to Ole Miss (1978-82) where he was in charge of the Rebels quarterbacks. In 1983, Lee was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at New Mexico.

A three-year letterman at Vanderbilt, Lee served as team captain and was named the team's most valuable player in 1974 after quarterbacking the Commodores to a 7-3-2 record, including a 24-10 upset over fifth-ranked Florida. It was Vanderbilt's first win over the Gators in 15 years. Lee went on to lead the SEC in passing and guide his team to a 6-6 tie against Texas Tech in the Peach Bowl. Lee earned a bachelor's degree in history from Vanderbilt in 1975.

Born on July 2, 1953, in Cape Girardeau, Mo., Lee spent the first 12 years of his childhood in Dexter, Mo. He attended Woodham High School in Pensacola, Fla., where he graduated in 1971. Lee and his wife, Lynne, have four children - daughters Dana (4/3/79) and Shannon (9/16/84), and sons Brian (3/23/77) and Jordan (2/5/86).

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas