• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 4A ALL STATE

Started by Brian G, March 21, 2014, 04:41:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SNWA

I find it absurd that she was left off of the list also. Do not understand though, her coach was there to fight her case. They decide before they ever leave. Find it hard to believe that she and Tolefree both were left off. Makes me wonder if her suspension had anything to do with it. I would put them both in the overall top ten in the state.

ricepig

Conway's position dictated the number of spots they got, basically after that, it's the coach's choice.

SNWA

Yet Springdale and Springdale Harber got two. Had to be coaches decision. Taking nothing away from the Conway girl that made it but she was probably the 4th or 5th  player on that loaded team. She also was the only sr. which leads me to believe that was a coaches choice. At least Danberry got POY. Tolefree got the shaft all the way around IMO. I also believe that even though a few other teams could make their case, Conway should be overall #1 at end of year. Oh, and the start of next year.

ricepig

Conway, MSM, FSSS, FSNS, WM, NLR, Cabot, and Central share 8 spots. The usual protocol is 1st seed three spots, 2nd seed 2 spots, 3rd seed 1 spot, 4 seed 1 spot. The 7A West plus Bryant do the same.

Bearcatparent

Not to upset any of you but could you take the 7A discussion back over to the 7A board please? All are valid points but this is the 4A All State gripe board ;). Thanks.
Not just gripe board either but yet discussion board really. Just trying to understand how picks are made and some reasoning behind them which is difficult at times.

Brian G

Quote from: PASS on March 24, 2014, 02:03:04 pm
Hey B.G., who is responsible for leaving the Arkansas Gatorade player of the year, Jordan Danberry from Conway, off the All State team? You really believe the current system in place to be okay? I do not & that is proof. I don't have a good answer, but this sure isn't it.

The Conway coach (who nominates and then speaks on behalf of her nominees)and all the coaches in that conference that voted on it.

I'm not saying it's right but sometimes a coach will "compromise" and share the honors with different players.  Not saying this is correct, but they might look to spread the wealth thinking there are several players on the team that deserve awards so the try to make sure each gets something.

We also know that mistakes and bias do occur.  But even changing the system won't prevent that from repeating.  It will just occur in a different way by different people.  I know of a strong bias in NWA that shows itself every single time. 

It's an "opinion".  Not a stat award.  Human error will always be a part of it.

Griping and admitting you don't have a solution doesn't get you anywhere.

SNWA

But in the 7A boys NLR got 4. I know they deserved it but in that same thinking, someone else got left out.

Brian G

You people act as if not making it is costing these kids something.  Those that are good will still go to college and play.  These votes don't dictate their futures.  Well, it does if you harp on as an injustice of the Nth degree.

We have a girl that got POY and won a state title and yet some act as if she might be on a ledge over it.  Ridiculous.

The problem is with the adults who want the recognition. 

SNWA

I have no horse in this race. My daughter was blessed enough to make the list. Oh well, with the re-alignment, it should all change again next year, then there will be a whole new set of gripes... ;D ;D ;D

Brian G

You don't have to have a kid involved.

SNWA

March 25, 2014, 09:51:07 am #61 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:07:18 am by 141571671
Quote from: SNWA on March 24, 2014, 02:59:34 pm
Yet Springdale and Springdale Harber got two. Had to be coaches decision. Taking nothing away from the Conway girl that made it but she was probably the 4th or 5th  player on that loaded team. She also was the only sr. which leads me to believe that was a coaches choice. At least Danberry got POY. Tolefree got the shaft all the way around IMO. I also believe that even though a few other teams could make their case, Conway should be overall #1 at end of year. Oh, and the start of next year.
Conway didn't have any seniors play this year so throw that out the window
.  The player that got it avg a double double for the season (the only person on the team to do so).  1st on the team in rebounding, 1st on the team in blocked shots, 2nd on the team in scoring and 1st in 3pt percentage and 2nd on the team in 3pt made.  She also avg 2 charges taken per game which has to be a state record over 32 games.  Don't base anything with the Conway team off of 1 or 2 games.

SNWA

sorry, I got her confused and thought that she was the sr. Believe me im sold on Conway, and being from GW that hurts. Funny you should say that about the charges, my youngest drew 24 just during conference which im sure is a school record. That is a lost art . Ok anything else we will move to 7A board.

CoachRed10

I'm a little late on this but my daughter was one of the ones left off All-State.. Her Name is Damonique Miller.. She receive numerous awards for what she done. She clearly average 18+ points a game and 10 rebounds, but for some reason she was left off.. I get mad sometimes but I go over to the University of Memphis website and she got her reward.. So all these back dooring coaches can have those simple awards. It's politics in it but I do think they can't choose everyone... The 4A-7 was loaded this year and I can't take anything way from those young ladies that played in it.. Call me bias but hands down it was the best conference in Arkansas. Name me another time in history that one conference sign so many college scholarships..My daughter got a great reward..  Make your arguments fellas but the proof is in the pudding.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas